Player Suggestion Jack Butland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chabuddy G

Kurupt FM
Reaction score
Now now now, might get slaughtered for this, might not.
We definitely had interest last summer while Henderson's situation was up in the air but they were asking for too much. Have we still? I have no idea

He's not had the best couple of years but he was an extremely good keeper a few years back. His confidence took a shot and he's been playing infront of a leaky defence.
It happens sometimes, players lose their way and need to freshen up. I think a move is exactly what he needs and I doubt he'll struggle for Premier League suitors.

Stoke have cut their asking price to £8mil. I think we can get that down to £6mil. Then I think it's an incredible bit of business and behind our defence I think we can get him back to the levels he was at before Stoke's relegation, when he was linked with Man City and Chelsea.

He's still only 27 and should soon be entering his peak. He could be the best business we do, or any team does, all summer.
I'd rather have him for that price than Ramsdale for £20m that's for sure.

I may have been persuaded to have him as a back up keeper. We know he's done it in the past. We have, however, signed Foderingham for that role so for me, it's not a signing we should make. We need someone better as a number 1 and we've already signed a back up keeper.

For £8-£10m with his best years ahead of him, it’s hard to see a better deal that isn’t much more money or bigger risk in turns of acclimatising to a new league/country. I’d be chuffed with this.

Would need a lot of scouting work as I'm not convinced he can get back to former level, but for 6-8 million would seem like a good investment.

If we're looking at that route I'd prefer Neil Etheridge. Out of favour. Likely much cheaper and Had some good stats when he played for Cardiff in the Premier League.

Suggested butland a while ago, think he'd be a decent back up. But if he can get back to his former level he'd be a good first choice option. Decent price at 8m..

We have to interested, surely? Stoke are a bit of a basket case club at the minute, so his form, whilst relevant, has to be filtered through that lens. £8m isn’t a massive gamble for someone on the bench for our WC semi 2 years ago. And, given our likely modest budget, and shallow squad depth, having an additional £4-£6m available to use elsewhere would be more than useful.

Now now now, might get slaughtered for this, might not.
We definitely had interest last summer while Henderson's situation was up in the air but they were asking for too much. Have we still? I have no idea

He's not had the best couple of years but he was an extremely good keeper a few years back. His confidence took a shot and he's been playing infront of a leaky defence.
It happens sometimes, players lose their way and need to freshen up. I think a move is exactly what he needs and I doubt he'll struggle for Premier League suitors.

Stoke have cut their asking price to £8mil. I think we can get that down to £6mil. Then I think it's an incredible bit of business and behind our defence I think we can get him back to the levels he was at before Stoke's relegation, when he was linked with Man City and Chelsea.

He's still only 27 and should soon be entering his peak. He could be the best business we do, or any team does, all summer.
I'd rather have him for that price than Ramsdale for £20m that's for sure.

Good post Dale from Monmouth........ :)

No, no and thrice no.

Even at £6-£8m he's in the same bracket as what we would pay for Forster or Etheridge who are both far better and haven't lost all confidence.

As a no2 maybe but no way as no1.

I don't think some of you understand just how bad he was last season
Indeed. Butland was bad in Stoke's relegation season and has been even worse both seasons in the Championship.

At this point I think it's irrelevant that he was borderline England's no1 for a short spell of time.

I'd try to trust CW etc if they suddenly signed him... But I'd be shocked and pretty terrified if he's in our net.

Way past his best and got too used to letting goals in , which is the equivalent of signing a striker who used to score plenty but not in the last few years , ie - to be avoided at all costs (see also Ben Foster)

Way past his best and got too used to letting goals in , which is the equivalent of signing a striker who used to score plenty but not in the last few years , ie - to be avoided at all costs (see also Ben Foster)
I’m not denying his form of the past year, but he’s only 27 and arguably 3-4 years from his prime. It’s not like he’s had a career defining injury that would give pause for thought about whether he’s capable of getting back to his best. As I say, since relegation, Stoke have unfortunately been something of a circus. That has to be factored into the equation with a hefty weighting in my view.

I’m not denying his form of the past year, but he’s only 27 and arguably 3-4 years from his prime. It’s not like he’s had a career defining injury that would give pause for thought about whether he’s capable of getting back to his best. As I say, since relegation, Stoke have unfortunately been something of a circus. That has to be factored into the equation with a hefty weighting in my view.

He's an average keeper and has always been average. He's been very lucky that the standard of English goalkeepers has been that bad he's found himself in the England squad. Hart, Pickford, Foster, Pope, Heaton... all the same. We haven't had a world class goalkeeper since Seaman.

Hendo seems like he could be amazing, but I'm not sure. He's very well protected and the saves he is forced to make are generally ones he should be making. Susceptible at the near post. But I started watching United when we had Rees, Tracey and Kelly... so maybe I expect more than most.

I’m not advocating buying him but you don’t get to where he got without showing something and getting consistency out of guys like this has been one of the biggest successes that Wilder and his team have achieved over the years

Let's look at all the other former Prem players we've signed so far..............JAGS is the only one that's done owt, and he was a regular England international for years.
Butland, for me is in the Joe Hart camp, was good, not so much now, and there are better keepers out there, if we need to spend a bit more on a keeper then so be it, but we do need better.

How many keepers can you think of that have "lost it"... Then recovered to be a top keeper again? I can't think of any.

It's not impossible, but we don't want to gamble our club's bright future like that.

How many keepers can you think of that have "lost it"... Then recovered to be a top keeper again? I can't think of any.

It's not impossible, but we don't want to gamble our club's bright future like that.

Maybe David James?

In reality his performances over the last 2/3 seasons have been trash and genuinely not worth spending £500k on never mind £5m. Anything over that is a blind gamble that he’ll get back to anything like he was 4 years ago +.

Maybe David James?

In reality his performances over the last 2/3 seasons have trash and genuinely not worth spending £500k on never mind £5m. Anything over that is a blind gamble that he’ll get back to anything like he was 4 years ago +.
David James was genuinely the only one that crossed my mind. But he didn't really lose it, he just consistently made some mistakes and has his video games period! Good keeper though obviously. Different kettle of fish to Butland.

Looks like he's off to Southampton in a swap deal with Angus Gunn.

If a team gets Butland back to his top level then they have a very good keeper on their hands. His confidence must be shot at the moment and I think that deal will suit all parties.

Looks like he's off to Southampton in a swap deal with Angus Gunn.

If a team gets Butland back to his top level then they have a very good keeper on their hands. His confidence must be shot at the moment and I think that deal will suit all parties.
He'll be Southampton's no2 then.

Moved to Crystal Palace yesterday for a fee reported to be £1m. He seems to be out of form and has lost his place in the Stoke side but it still looks incredibly cheap considering his age and the level he’s played at. Presumably he is out of contract at the end of season.

I just signed him at Harrogate Town on FIFA. I got him for about £3million.

Moved to Crystal Palace yesterday for a fee reported to be £1m. He seems to be out of form and has lost his place in the Stoke side but it still looks incredibly cheap considering his age and the level he’s played at. Presumably he is out of contract at the end of season.
Cheap as chips. With the outlay of the Foderingham signing and the fee and wages of Butland, I’m of the impression Butland would’ve been a far better option to bring in, he’d have pushed Ramsdale even more for the number one spot. Let’s face it, Foderingham will only be starting in chip shop cup games at the very most.

Cheap as chips. With the outlay of the Foderingham signing and the fee and wages of Butland, I’m of the impression Butland would’ve been a far better option to bring in, he’d have pushed Ramsdale even more for the number one spot. Let’s face it, Foderingham will only be starting in chip shop cup games at the very most.

Foderingham has been terrible since he came in. What on earth is going on with that Verrips guy we brought in?

Back
Top Bottom