Is Wilder Really Going To See This Out?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nine Inch Nalis

Named like a girl, hung like a horse
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that no matter how many times we get tonked on the way to our inevitable relegation, there's nobody I'd rather have at the helm in the Championship next season.

The ownership seem to think so too, but what are the chances that he'll stay? He has a remarkable record of never having been relegated and his first one is about to come with the club he loves.
I'm not sure he'll have the will or the resources to comprehensively restructure a now redundant squad. Maybe the environment is so toxic and there are issues that we aren't privy to which means he can go no further?

I don't give a fuck about relegation at this point, but facing next season without him makes me very concerned, all I can see in his wake is a string of inferior managers dragging us progressively further into obscurity, much like the period between 2007-2011.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm very wrong.

He’s obviously frustrated with the lack of transfer activity so far this month with his “I don’t want to talk about transfers, I’ve nothing to say” press conference.

a couple of heavy defeats in the next two games and he’ll walk I recon.

He’s obviously frustrated with the lack of transfer activity so far this month with his “I don’t want to talk about transfers, I’ve nothing to say” press conference.

Is this a joke 🤣 Look at how much money is blown

• Banned

I see parallels with Dave Bassett's tenure at the club. In the book, Blade Runners, he said that by 1995 he'd taken us as far as he could and that the club had stagnated. It seems all too familiar right now.

I have nothing to say but what I will say is that injuries are stopping anyone going out.

Wilder has done so much for the club in a relatively short space of time. IMHO he should be given a chance to try and get us back up next year. It will be extremely tough, everyone knows how competitive the Championship is and the club will need to recapture a winning mentality from the absolute depths.

However, he has shown himself to be tactically inflexible. Teams had figured out the system by the back end of last season and yet week-in-week-out the tactics are the same.

Tbh today is the first time I've really started thinking it may be unrealistic to think he can survive.

Like the OP I want him to remain but I think some are too blinded by faith or loyalty to look at the bigger picture.

This current way of life is tough for everyone anyway but also having to deal with the lowest part of his career at his own club under the biggest spotlight in the game, must have a big impact.

Any manager or player having such a continued poor run of form with little reason to expect much change has to hugely impact confidence and belief.

If the second half of the season is much like the first, it will take a massive amount out of the staff and players. Just assuming everything will suddenly turn around in the summer is ignoring the human side to it.

We didn't come into this season expecting such a shocking outcome.

We're only halfway through and some players already look resigned and shell shocked.

Turning this around will be a much bigger task than some seem to assume IMHO.

If I was the board I honestly wouldn’t be spending a penny. Financially we’ve got to get ready for the championship and apart from Bogle he literally wasted so much money on players that are nowhere near it.

Our best players are those that came up with us, we’ve not signed one player that’s improved us this season.

The SKY commentators and, frankly, anyone with eyes could see what the Spurs formation was trying (and succeeding) to do. Nullify our wide play and press us into unforced errors. We should have tactically responded almost immediately, but no just keep failing at the same things over and over again.

The SKY commentators and, frankly, anyone with eyes could see what the Spurs formation was trying (and succeeding) to do. Nullify our wide play and press us into unforced errors. We should have tactically responded almost immediately, but no just keep failing at the same things over and over again.

When he did change it, it made no difference though.

That said there was literally no one on the bench to make a big change.

It's gone from being a key issue to a side issue for me. Whether we like it or not, it's when rather than if now.

It's important we all fully respect what CW has done for our club. I'm not going to blindly defend him on everything, nor am I going to to crucify him for some glaring errors this season and some very 'ordinary' signings over his tenure.

But, for those who do want him out the most important consideration needs to be this. Who comes in to replace him? Who gets us back up next year from the Championship AND keeps us in the Premier League with the available budget, given the limitations of our owner and resources? Don't just bleat on, saying "he's got to go"!

WHO comes in that is viable, affordable, willing, and good enough now, next season, and at Premier League level? There seems little point in losing CW if we don't have his successor lined up with a certain degree of assurance.

UTB

It's important we all fully respect what CW has done for our club. I'm not going to blindly defend him on everything, nor am I going to to crucify him for some glaring errors this season and some very 'ordinary' signings over his tenure.

But, for those who do want him out the most important consideration needs to be this. Who comes in to replace him? Who gets us back up next year from the Championship AND keeps us in the Premier League with the available budget, given the limitations of our owner and resources? Don't just bleat on, saying "he's got to go"!

WHO comes in that is viable, affordable, willing, and good enough now, next season, and at Premier League level? There seems little point in losing CW if we don't have his successor lined up with a certain degree of assurance.

UTB
If CW goes we will prob end up with smeg head....it's the UTD way...ties in nicely with another thread on general chat...
just saying like....

I've never thought he should be sacked, and I still don't. If he wants another go at the Championship he should start next season and let's see where we are after a dozen games of that.

However..... he has in my view developed PBS (that's Phil Brown Syndrome). Having had a decent PL season and received unending praise from fellow coaches and media lackeys for 2 years he believed himself to be some sort of footballing genius. After all, the so-far-potless Bielsa more or less said so.

This has had quite an effect on his spiky personality, with his now steadfast belief in the system that brought him this adulation. To ditch that now would be an admission of fallibility which his ego may not be able to stand.

And we have all paid the price for it.

But never mind, football starts again in 7 or 8 months time.

I keep saying it, but what difference does it make if Wilder is the best person to take us back up, if, like most of squad, he too isn’t Premier League quality?

Depends on whether you want to judge him on the first season, or the second?

I think he intends to see this out because he was talking about looking back on this season as a whole during his Sky Sports interview. Just gave the impression he is sticking around and will look to see where he went wrong this season regardless of what happens.

I've never thought he should be sacked, and I still don't. If he wants another go at the Championship he should start next season and let's see where we are after a dozen games of that.

However..... he has in my view developed PBS (that's Phil Brown Syndrome). Having had a decent PL season and received unending praise from fellow coaches and media lackeys for 2 years he believed himself to be some sort of footballing genius. After all, the so-far-potless Bielsa more or less said so.

This has had quite an effect on his spiky personality, with his now steadfast belief in the system that brought him this adulation. To ditch that now would be an admission of fallibility which his ego may not be able to stand.

And we have all paid the price for it.

But never mind, football starts again in 7 or 8 months time.
Well put.

I see parallels with Dave Bassett's tenure at the club. In the book, Blade Runners, he said that by 1995 he'd taken us as far as he could and that the club had stagnated. It seems all too familiar right now.
I’m not sure I would describe what we are seeing now is « stagnation ».
I can think if one or two more appropriate words.

Back
Top Bottom