Is Norwood a little bit toxic to the team?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
The figures for his successful pass rate and chances created speak for themselves, but does he really fit the CW criteria that his close-knit 'us' type team player needs to show?
More to the point, do the PLAYERS feel he does?
His so-called 'Hollywood passes' look great when they come off, but how much are they to do with 'look-at-me' than the best option?
Often they don't come off, sometimes there is a casual, almost cockiness about his style which, as we have seen can cause problems. Overhit free kicks and wild shots aren't unusual either.
I just wonder how much all that affects the team spirit?
CW has often said something like, "There are no star names, no big-time Charlies here"
I'm concerned there might just be a small time one though.

Don’t understand the desire of so many fans to find a problem with Norwood, he’s a good player who’s improved our team and seemingly fits in as well as anyone.

I think the main problem is stupidly high expectations and a general shitty atmosphere at home games which does make a difference regardless of the wages and professional outlook of our players.

‘Hollywood passes’ also known as ‘good passes’? What’s the problem with them? Sometimes five yard passes go wrong it’s just football and human error. Its the championship, players have mistakes and bad passes in them. Stop finding scapegoats.

Until last night we were third in the league with a squad assembled at a fraction of that of our competitors.

As a key midfielder, I’d say Norwood has been an enormously positive influence on us.

Top post as always Alco. He was instrumental in our turnaround at the start of the season.

Don’t understand the desire of so many fans to find a problem with Norwood, he’s a good player who’s improved our team and seemingly fits in as well as anyone.

I think the main problem is stupidly high expectations and a general shitty atmosphere at home games which does make a difference regardless of the wages and professional outlook of our players.

‘Hollywood passes’ also known as ‘good passes’? What’s the problem with them? Sometimes five yard passes go wrong it’s just football and human error. Its the championship, players have mistakes and bad passes in them. Stop finding scapegoats.

I'm not sure when asking a question became looking for scapegoats :confused:
It's tough for a 'playmaker' because he can be an absolute hero or an absolute villain, often because of, as you say, the stupidly high expectations.
Hollywood passes are good passes when they come off, but the question remains, are they played because it's the best option, or because he wants to be seen as someone who can do that kind of thing, so when it goes wrong, the other players get a bit frustrated that we didn't work it as a team?

We do have a weakness in midfield at the moment, but you've picked the wrong one of the 2 who needs to be dropped for a spell.

He made the error last night but was still the best of the four midfielders on show.

I'm not doubting his ability and his effectiveness is there for all to see and as plenty have already stated, Fleck is off it at the moment, but the question was and is, how does his style affect the team? Maybe Fleck's downturn in form/seeming a bit disinterested is something to do with Norwood being in the team even?

I'm not sure when asking a question became looking for scapegoats :confused:
It's tough for a 'playmaker' because he can be an absolute hero or an absolute villain, often because of, as you say, the stupidly high expectations.
Hollywood passes are good passes when they come off, but the question remains, are they played because it's the best option, or because he wants to be seen as someone who can do that kind of thing, so when it goes wrong, the other players get a bit frustrated that we didn't work it as a team?
I wasn’t really speaking directly about you because you might not be looking for a scapegoat in this case, it’s impossible for me to know I can only speak from my interpretation of what you said. But singling him out at all is unjustified in my opinion as he’s been one of the better players so far. So you can see why I’d think that.

I think you could say the same about any player, any pass, any shot. It seems picky to say every pass he misplaces makes other players frustrated because he’s trying difficult passes. If we keep it simple every time it becomes predictable, he adds another element. By that reasoning it could be said every time one of the strikers missed a shot the other players became frustrated? I think the team would rather him try and create something and it not pay off than keep it simple constantly, surely then we would be complaining that he’s not ambitious enough in his passing

No.

But I have rarely seen a player go from being like Iniesta one minute and then like Dean Hammond one minute later !!!

UTB

I'm not doubting his ability and his effectiveness is there for all to see and as plenty have already stated, Fleck is off it at the moment, but the question was and is, how does his style affect the team? Maybe Fleck's downturn in form/seeming a bit disinterested is something to do with Norwood being in the team even?

I think Fleck is not playing nearly as poorly as many seem to think. A case of collective hysteria methinks.

The figures for his successful pass rate and chances created speak for themselves, but does he really fit the CW criteria that his close-knit 'us' type team player needs to show?
More to the point, do the PLAYERS feel he does?
His so-called 'Hollywood passes' look great when they come off, but how much are they to do with 'look-at-me' than the best option?
Often they don't come off, sometimes there is a casual, almost cockiness about his style which, as we have seen can cause problems. Overhit free kicks and wild shots aren't unusual either.
I just wonder how much all that affects the team spirit?
CW has often said something like, "There are no star names, no big-time Charlies here"
I'm concerned there might just be a small time one though.
So because he misplaces a few passes out of hundreds of sublime balls he plays, he’s a bit of a knob?

The ball in the first half to set Stevens down the wing was one of the best I’ve seen from a united player.

As Beans or Blades Analytics
said on their podcast, Norwood plays a few bad balls, for the huge number of good passes he plays, but if he didn’t play those bad balls, we wouldn’t be able to afford him.

Class player

I think Fleck is not playing nearly as poorly as many seem to think. A case of collective hysteria methinks.

No hysteria from me mate. He had a stinker last night and something doesn't seem right with him. He was at his very best when he had an understanding with Coutts and Duffy, not so with Norwood and Duffy.

So because he misplaces a few passes out of hundreds of sublime balls he plays, he’s a bit of a knob?

The ball in the first half to set Stevens down the wing was one of the best I’ve seen from a united player.

said on their podcast, Norwood plays a few bad balls, for the huge number of good passes he plays, but if he didn’t play those bad balls, we wouldn’t be able to afford him.

Class player
The ball was class, but is was in to the path of Sharp, who is asked to do this FAR too frequently for my liking.

UTB

Until last night we were third in the league with a squad assembled at a fraction of that of our competitors.

As a key midfielder, I’d say Norwood has been an enormously positive influence on us.
After everyone has played 22 games we will be 5th

It's a disaster of titanic proportions and his goals and passes against villa, Brentford and wigan etc must be really demotivating for his team mates.

Quite frankly, he's a disgrace

Class player
Kinell Swiss, I'm not saying he's a bad player. I pointed out that the stats back that up. The question I asked was, "Does his style have an impact on the rest of the team (and particularly the team spirit?) Apparently, the last thing that CW says when they go out onto the pitch is, "Let's be us" I just wondered whether Norwood is more, "Let me be me" and whether that affects team spirit.
Just a reasonable question I thought.
No "Drop him he's crap" from me, just a genuine question about the possible effect of one player on the rest of the team.

We're still 4th so chill.

After everyone has played 22 games we will be 5th

It's a disaster of titanic proportions and his goals and passes against villa, Brentford and wigan etc must be really demotivating for his team mates.

Quite frankly, he's a disgrace

Sarcasm aside, thanks for at least giving your opinion on the actual question! :)

No hysteria from me mate. He had a stinker last night and something doesn't seem right with him. He was at his very best when he had an understanding with Coutts and Duffy, not so with Norwood and Duffy.
Every player will have periods where for some reason or other they're way below their best - even Paul Pogba.
It's usually the player themselves, not their team-mates.
If CW thought Norwood was any sort of 'Charlie' he'd be out and Coutts back in.

It took over a decade to spend a long weekend in the top division after dismantling DB's mk 2 crazy gang, and some truth stranger than fiction stuff to keep us in the wilderness just as long (so far).
At every conceded goal, the sky is falling in and all the mr snitch's are screaming "it wor im". This is going to be a mad journey back up (if), it's what we do. Always have and no-one else can get close. Wi special, us. Every silver lining has a cloud and if not, the world could always drop out our arses
Just enjoy where we are, trust CW.

Anyways. Iced in and can't get t'ert pub to celebrate a swansea victory
UTB

Sarcasm aside, thanks for at least giving your opinion on the actual question! :)

To answer your question, the answer is probably no. :)

He's been ever present and if his generally excellent play was demoralising his team mates, I'm sure Wilder would drop him.

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I genuinely think it's a really stupid question.

Somewhere else on here, I've read today that we are crap going forward, despite the fact we are 5th top scorers in the league. It's grinding my gears a bit now

Back
Top Bottom