How to solve the football calendar's problem

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
This is how I'd do it:

1. Post-phone Euro 2020 to 2021. Or even have it in 2024 using the teams that are already qualified for this one and cancel the 2023 qualifiers. All tickets to be able to be re-used then or resold.

2. If possible complete the rest of the season over the summer with fans. Take everyone's temperature before entering the stadium and ban everyone with a high one (literally like a breathalyzer in a nightclub) , and maybe reduce capacity but ratio it in a way that there's still home advantage to respect the integrity of the league. Keep every other seat empty perhaps to create distancing. Re-order fixtures so healthy teams play healthy teams and so on. Ban/close all pubs around the stadium and don't serve alcohol or food anywhere in the stadium so people are only there to congregate for the game itself. Only play the games when it due to be hot weather when the virus will be least effective (obviously not boiling either).

3. Transfer window to re-open in October, pre-existing deals to be deferred until then if or the FA could deny them registration if legally possible so they can't play in the 2019-2020 season, again to respect the integrity of this season. If not possible re-open the transfer window now for everyone until we re-start.

4. No 2020-2021 games until April at the earliest next year, as this is after when the second spike of this thing is due to come back.

For the 2020-2021 season we halve it, each teams play each other one but at a neutral venue so no -home advantage for anyway and split the stadium 50-50 or 40-40 for safety reasons leaving the remaining 20% vacant or for the police. This won't screw them or the emergency services as much as they are only working for half the time they usually would, though the time they are working will be more busy. So we would play Manchester United at Elland Road for example.

Having less games means more demand for these games which means people will be willing to pay more for them which will keep the clubs afloat. Same with the TV companies, who can sell subscription services for their team for the less well off fans, less games means more attention when there is a game. Scrap the no broadcast 3pm rule. You could actually stagger games so they never take place at the same time like the world cup does in it's latter stages. The advertisers would be happy as more exposure, and football fans would see more than one game in a day on TV as all games will be broadcast. Even look into 11 am kick -offs !

Lots of ideas there, some good some bad I'm sure but I'm sure a solid solution can be refined in there somewhere!

Flawed at point one. Didn’t read the rest sorry.
Too much depends on what’s planned years ahead. Livelihoods here and other places in the world have been planned and dependant on football and other sport to survive

Just finish the season, and carry on. If you’re vulnerable to this illness you take the precautions needed to protect yourself. Don’t, and it’s your risk to bear and you take your chances.

Personal responsibility is what’s needed.

I think you idea for half the number of games at neutral venues is an interesting one. On the one hand it would make sense to have each match in a geographically central place relating to the participating teams eg a northern club vs a London club take place in the midlands. On the other hand each club should have a neutral match at their venue so their can fairly benefit from the revenue so some are going to have to travel out of the way to places like Newcastle for example.

Flawed at point one. Didn’t read the rest sorry.
Too much depends on what’s planned years ahead. Livelihoods here and other places in the world have been planned and dependant on football and other sport to survive

Just finish the season, and carry on. If you’re vulnerable to this illness you take the precautions needed to protect yourself. Don’t, and it’s your risk to bear and you take your chances.

Personal responsibility is what’s needed.

One idiot with the symptoms went to mass in South Korea and was responsible for infecting 1000 people.

ANYONE who has a high temperature gets turned away. A thermometer is the best prevention weapon we have.

I put this in a different post but it probably sits better for debate here.

From a strategic planning point of view I would look at 4 broad scenarios:

1. We can somehow resume the season in April and manage to complete the season without jeopardising other planned events (eg the Euros)

Realistic chances = very unlikely.

2. The Euros are cancelled and we can resume the season around June/July time and start next season a little later (maybe Sept/Oct). Play a full schedule but scrap EFL Cup and possibly FA Cup.

Realistic chances = possible

3. We finish off this seasons games in Sept/Oct then have a shortened season (of maybe 19 games - home/away decided by lots) which would start on Boxing day. We could then easily keep the FA Cup and maybe even the EFL Cup (although this would be a good opportunity to ditch it).

Realistic chances = highly possible

4. The pandemic proves to be increasingly difficult. We finish off this seasons games as and when (eg maybe next March/April) and start a new season 21/22 as normal.

Realistic chances = probable.

As for the european competitions, well hopefully the timescales would fall in line with the above and we'd be able to at least play some european games. If not, we would need to plan for the resumption of these separately.

I think you idea for half the number of games at neutral venues is an interesting one. On the one hand it would make sense to have each match in a geographically central place relating to the participating teams eg a northern club vs a London club take place in the midlands. On the other hand each club should have a neutral match at their venue so their can fairly benefit from the revenue so some are going to have to travel out of the way to places like Newcastle for example.

We could host Manchester United against Newcastle, yes you do it in a way that each stadium gets to host the same amount of games and same income by setting ticket prices the same across the board.

If we can't have fans at games we can still do the same thing but have it at training grounds so Manchester United would play Newcastle at Shirecliffe behind closed doors.

Edit: Would like to keep the FA Cup if possible but sadly despite prestige it's not as important anymore. Play the quarter finals we are in etc sometime next year?

One idiot with the symptoms went to mass in South Korea and was responsible for infecting 1000 people.

ANYONE who has a high temperature gets turned away. A thermometer is the best prevention weapon we have.

1. And already passed it on while getting to the game.
2. How long would it take to screen everyone?
3. How do you take the temperature of these folk?
4. Who does it and where?
5. what do you do with anyone found to have a temperature? Where do they go?
Just look at the bigger picture before putting your thoughts to air.
It’s completely impractical, pointless and impossible to manage and quite frankly ridiculous for one football match never mind numerous games simultaneously over multiple weeks.

1. And already passed it on while getting to the game.
2. How long would it take to screen everyone?
3. How do you take the temperature of these folk?
4. Who does it and where?
5. what do you do with anyone found to have a temperature? Where do they go?
Just look at the bigger picture before putting your thoughts to air.
It’s completely impractical, pointless and impossible to manage and quite frankly ridiculous for one football match never mind numerous games simultaneously over multiple weeks.

1. You can pass it on while walking to the shops. If people don't get out and have some fresh air people will be less likely to self isolate effectively and be healthy. If people see football possibility as a 'treat' they'll be more respectful and consider it.
2. I didn't say screen, but the USA has it down to half an hour (asides from Chicago). A temperature check would take a matter of seconds, just like having your bag checked.
3. Give the stewards thermometers. No entry to the stadium if temperature above normal. In the same way as a breathalyzer in a nightclub.
4. Like I said the stewards, maybe a few more would need to be hired. Perhaps take them on the outskirt of the stadium's premises to stagger the crowds.
5. Because of number 4 anyone who has a high temperature doesn't get into the stadium premises and will go home.

It can be done, whether it should be done is another matter but that's what a forum is for. I'd also ban everyone over the age of 65 going for their own safety, sorry if that's discriminatory. Besides will give some new/younger fans more opportunities.

Speaking of staggering you could take it further. Set up free wifi across the stadium and put them into groups, so %30 of the fans are allowed in an hour before kick off, the other 30% two hours before kick off and so on, like they do on airlines.

Only play games in hot weather...good god.

So these germs won’t multiply more in warm humid conditions then?
good god

2. I didn't say screen, but the USA has it down to half an hour. A temperature check would take a matter of seconds, just like having your bag checked.
3. Give the stewards thermometers. No entry to the stadium if temperature above normal. In the same way as a breathalyzer in a nightclub.

How many thermometers would the stewards have and how would they sterilise them between punters?
How could this possibly just take 'seconds'?
What about the people who have been standing close to the bloke with the high temperature for the last 15 minutes?

It would take longer to get in, hence the queues would be bigger. More queues = more people = increased transmission risk.

How many thermometers would the stewards have and how would they sterilise them between punters?
How could this possibly just take 'seconds'?
What about the people who have been standing close to the bloke with the high temperature for the last 15 minutes?

It would take longer to get in, hence the queues would be bigger. More queues = more people = increased transmission risk.

These are fair points you are raising, but it's worth a discussion!

Sterilization is quite straightforward for thermometers, for ear thermometers you have plastic covers that you use once then bin. You can see through a group of people very quickly. Again, nightclubs check thousands of IDs and bags for large crowds each night.

As many thermometers required, and yes you'd definitely need more stewards.

If you stagger people entering the stadium as put on ticket the queues will be a lot smaller like they do on Ryanair with priority boarding. Yes boring for the people who get in hours early but there's phones for entertainment. You could even charge people more for getting a slot closer to kick-off time.

1. You can pass it on while walking to the shops. If people don't get out and have some fresh air people will be less likely to self isolate effectively and be healthy. If people see football possibility as a 'treat' they'll be more respectful and consider it.
2. I didn't say screen, but the USA has it down to half an hour. A temperature check would take a matter of seconds, just like having your bag checked.
4. Like I said the stewards, maybe a few more would need to be hired. Perhaps take them on the outskirt of the stadium's premises to stagger the crowds.
5. Because of number 4 anyone who has a high temperature doesn't get into the stadium premises and will go home.

It can be done, whether it should be done is another matter but that's what a forum is for.

Please stop....you’re making it worse.
1. The same people (fucktards) buying 60 bog rolls....who will stand when told to sit, who basically don’t do as they’re told FFS!
What you using to take the temperature...a thermometer in the mouth or the ear thingy? Either way where does the equipment come from, who pays for it, how do you maintain sterility if the equipment...I could go on.

However the biggest flaw being that temperature is ONE symptom, and symptoms are days after folk get the virus and are already contagious. So that’s the theory blown away right there.
I can’t be bothered to continue into the rest of the points

I think International matches for the next year will have to be scrapped. Possibly even European club competitions to try and contain the spread.
I have seen comments fro both FIFA and UEFA talking as if they are in charge of the domestic leagues? While that is clearly not the case, they do regulate the laws, but their income and interests are purely international games. Given the varied impact of the virus, perhaps they should be told to wind their neck in.
The solution to the virus comes first, then the domestic leagues come next. Priorities

Please stop....you’re making it worse.
1. The same people (fucktards) buying 60 bog rolls....who will stand when told to sit, who basically don’t do as they’re told FFS!
What you using to take the temperature...a thermometer in the mouth or the ear thingy? Either way where does the equipment come from, who pays for it, how do you maintain sterility if the equipment...I could go on.

However the biggest flaw being that temperature is ONE symptom, and symptoms are days after folk get the virus and are already contagious. So that’s the theory blown away right there.
I can’t be bothered to continue into the rest of the points

Most people have thermometers in their homes. So they would be told in no uncertain terms to check before they go, and if they do go and have a high temperature they won't be let in. That'd stop even more.
The ear one is far more effective and efficient designed for these sort of things. Yes the club has to pay for it, I'm sure there's enough for the PL to afford it. We could afford for spend a million on them and we're one of the PL's poorer clubs. Maybe the players can voluntarily contribute.

Temperature is the main symptom it seems and is most easiest to detect.

I actually agree in an idea world everyone would stay in, but also agree with the gov's thought that that is unrealistic.

Most people have thermometers in their homes. So they would be told in no uncertain terms to check before they go, and if they do go and have a high temperature they won't be let in. That'd stop even more.
The ear one is far more effective and efficient designed for these sort of things. Yes the club has to pay for it, I'm sure there's enough for the PL to afford it. We could afford for spend a million on them and we're one of the PL's poorer clubs. Maybe the players can voluntarily contribute.

Temperature is the main symptom it seems and is most easiest to detect.

I actually agree in an idea world everyone would stay in, but also agree with the gov's thought that that is unrealistic.

Stop...just stop.
So only the premier league finishes then? And you’re confident enough of these ear thermometers and the ancillary equipment is available? How much is a single “reliable” machine (ie one used by health professionals)?
How long does the battery last before it’s dead and the machine useless? This queue of folk..are they maintaining a 1 metre gap between them? If so a single file line of thousands of people around the ground a metre apart means a line how long?

But worst of all...you think people can be trusted to check their own temperature before going to a game? Really?? Come on, what planet are you in. Folk are selfish, many are criminals, there’s not a snowflakes chance in hell that anyone can be trusted to do that.

mate, I’m not being a twat on purpose here but it’s your kind of ill thought out suggestions that are one of the problems with the internet and people having a public voice. Surely you can see that just one little point and idea has to be thought of and considered thoroughly and every contingency and aspect thought of and planned for.

For me there are only two options
1, play all remaining league fixtures with no spectators Tues-Sat to complete the season as early as possible. (Televise all if poss but not in bars/ clubs etc.) teams MUST field a side of any possible level or forfeit all the points. (Stop relegation threatened sides cheating)
2. Seasons ends now & teams are awarded average points per game to each club & that’s how the leagues finish.

European competition cancelled,Euros postponed until next season/year.

I know there are good arguments against each of the above but these are unprecedented times & no scenario will be perfect, I just think making this season Knull & void is not the way to go & we need to keep people safe & healthy as possible.

Stop...just stop.
So only the premier league finishes then? And you’re confident enough of these ear thermometers and the ancillary equipment is available? How much is a single “reliable” machine (ie one used by health professionals)?
How long does the battery last before it’s dead and the machine useless? This queue of folk..are they maintaining a 1 metre gap between them? If so a single file line of thousands of people around the ground a metre apart means a line how long?

But worst of all...you think people can be trusted to check their own temperature before going to a game? Really?? Come on, what planet are you in. Folk are selfish, many are criminals, there’s not a snowflakes chance in hell that anyone can be trusted to do that.

mate, I’m not being a twat on purpose here but it’s your kind of ill thought out suggestions that are one of the problems with the internet and people having a public voice. Surely you can see that just one little point and idea has to be thought of and considered thoroughly and every contingency and aspect thought of and planned for.

Nothing personal, but just remember that this is what a forum is for :)

The batteries last months, and these ear thermometers cost £40 each, probably less if you bulk buy as the manufacturing of these things speed up. We could buy 10000 of them and it'd only cost the club 400k. Hell we could even buy enough for one per person.

I've already said that you reduce capacity, and the self testing is an addition not a replacement of testing. And queues get reduced by staggering as Ryanair does with priority boarding.

The PL is where the money is so if you can finish it do finish it. If you can't fair enough health comes first.

I'm close to giving up on humans to be quite honest. Stockpiling fuckin toilet roll is almost too stupid for words for a start.

And now this lot? Jesus.

The season is on pause for now. OK? All we do is wait for the green light and begin from where it was paused. So our first game is Newcastle away. We just go as normal when we're told we can. The season is a write off anyway as players won't be match fit. So Liverpools title will be meaningless, much like, sadly, our league position.

It's on pause. That's all.

The euros can be played next year.

Someone get me a fuckin gun

This is how I'd do it:

1. Post-phone Euro 2020 to 2021. Or even have it in 2024 using the teams that are already qualified for this one and cancel the 2023 qualifiers. All tickets to be able to be re-used then or resold.

2. If possible complete the rest of the season over the summer with fans. Take everyone's temperature before entering the stadium and ban everyone with a high one (literally like a breathalyzer in a nightclub) , and maybe reduce capacity but ratio it in a way that there's still home advantage to respect the integrity of the league. Keep every other seat empty perhaps to create distancing. Re-order fixtures so healthy teams play healthy teams and so on. Ban/close all pubs around the stadium and don't serve alcohol or food anywhere in the stadium so people are only there to congregate for the game itself. Only play the games when it due to be hot weather when the virus will be least effective (obviously not boiling either).

3. Transfer window to re-open in October, pre-existing deals to be deferred until then if or the FA could deny them registration if legally possible so they can't play in the 2019-2020 season, again to respect the integrity of this season. If not possible re-open the transfer window now for everyone until we re-start.

4. No 2020-2021 games until April at the earliest next year, as this is after when the second spike of this thing is due to come back.

For the 2020-2021 season we halve it, each teams play each other one but at a neutral venue so no -home advantage for anyway and split the stadium 50-50 or 40-40 for safety reasons leaving the remaining 20% vacant or for the police. This won't screw them or the emergency services as much as they are only working for half the time they usually would, though the time they are working will be more busy. So we would play Manchester United at Elland Road for example.

Having less games means more demand for these games which means people will be willing to pay more for them which will keep the clubs afloat. Same with the TV companies, who can sell subscription services for their team for the less well off fans, less games means more attention when there is a game. Scrap the no broadcast 3pm rule. You could actually stagger games so they never take place at the same time like the world cup does in it's latter stages. The advertisers would be happy as more exposure, and football fans would see more than one game in a day on TV as all games will be broadcast. Even look into 11 am kick -offs !

Lots of ideas there, some good some bad I'm sure but I'm sure a solid solution can be refined in there somewhere!
Some good ideas, but how would you propose to take everyone’s temperature before admitting them to the stadium? Do you know how long that takes? (A few minutes for each person). And they’d need a new, or fully sterilised, thermometer for each person. And someone with paramedical skills to give the test and interpret the results. I’m afraid that isn’t going to happen. It’s just not practicable.

Will read all of this later re the other points, just about to take off.

Resume in April, play all remaining games behind close doors, and broadcast all games free on Sky, BT, Facebook, BBC. At least gives people something to do while they're sat at home on their arses bored stiff. If any more of the footballers catch Corona, they're young and healthy. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom