GoalWatch - how we score goals - January Update

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Mid-January Update:

GoalWatch, stats 170119.png

There's been a notable change in the way we've scored goal the past few weeks, with goals now quite evenly spread across the three categories.

After the Wednesday home game in November, we'd scored just 5 (19%) of our 27 goals following Cat B attacks. From these 4 were at home and 1 away. It seemed to me that we weren't prioritising or weren't good enough at counter attacking effectively. If we regained possession high up the pitch, we failed to punish the opposition. We'd scored 10 (37%) Cat A goals and 12 (44%) Cat C goals.

I think it was in this period that people were starting to wonder if we should perhaps make some tweaks about how we attack. The debate about EARLY CROSSES vs LATE CROSSES started, as did the suggestions of adding a TARGET MAN to the squad.

The debate got a bit silly. After the Ipswich game, our third disappointing result in the last four, the new guy at Radio Sheffield told Alan Knill that there'd been suggestions that the team should be trying more early crosses. A frustrated and disappointed seemed to get a bit defensive. In a later interview Chris Wilder also seemed to dismiss, or even attack, the perceived criticism.

The new in town radio reporter hasn't had the best start with the management, and maybe that and the timing of the question (right after a disappointing result, during a sticky spell) meant an open debate didn't really include the management, as interviewers didn't dare to follow it up. Which is fair enough - the management don't have to go into that level of detail with reporters, and if they feel the media is trying to stir things up or criticise when overall we've done fantastically well, maybe it's understandable.

However, I think it's naive to believe that Wilder and Knill aren't continuously looking to tweak things, develop players individually, improve us collectively. I assume they are systematically analysing team performances in a much more detailed way than the amateur collection of data above. Since the pigs game where we dominated, but couldn't find a way through them we have scored 10 Cat B goals. We changed the team and definitely tried to focus more on counter attacking away at Brentford and Reading.

At the moment we've had a great spell, the confidence is back and we look strong, although we'll have to see if Wilder do play his preferred line up and formation in all the difficult away games coming up.

Regarding the playing style I think we're all happy at the moment. We're scoring a variety of goals, we look a little more keen on punishing the opposition quickly when we can and we don't always allow the opposition back in numbers before we attack. I thought it was interesting when Beans and Blades Analytics commented on winner against QPR, the latter saying that we'd tried some early crosses moments before we scored what was clearly a Cat C goal, from a good passing move and a late cross.

Recently we've also seen more examples of the opposite, us playing good passing, patient football and moments later strike immediately after winning possession.

I think it's this variation that we need, so that we don't do the same stuff over and over again. That'll prevent opposition teams from knowing what to expect. There has to be a bit of unpredictability about us, a mix of early and late crosses among numerous other attacking variants, if we're going to score enough goals.

Earlier in the season Wilder also distanced himself from the idea of having a target man, yet obviously brought one in now in January. I think he was right to do that, it can be one extra way of getting us more goals. I disagree that it has to imply long ball. Stats are showing that we're among the teams crossing the most. Hopefully Madine, when he plays, makes even more of those crosses end up in the back of the net.

So Chris and Alan, keep up the fantastic work, there's never been a more United fan base behind you. And don't get upset if us amateurs also play around with the thought that sometimes we could be doing things a little different. UTB

This is great Bergen Blade - really interesting to see that increase in goals from breaks in the last few weeks.

While it would be nice to have a pacey attacking option beyond Washington, it does show the value of "speed of thought" / timing of the run which McGoldrick and Sharp have really demonstrated in these last 6 or so games.

And a closer look at our last goal, the winner vs QPR, where we did manage to penetrate a defence that had plenty of players back. What happened?

QPR were in control until Norwood cleverly sidestepped Freeman and found the roaming Stevens in the box. Their midfielders haven't picked him up, and they're unsure who's going to challenge him. At his point their back four is intact :

QPR1.png

But as their midfielders can't reach Stevens as he runs on the ball, their left sided centre half has to do it. He breaks out of his zone, leaving Sharp, but does manage to prevent a pass/cross from Stevens. The LCB going awol, means their RCB has move from his preferred defensive position to mark Sharp on the first post. This means the RCB also leaves McGoldrick.

QPR2.png

Stevens is forced wide and passes back to Baldock. At this moment QPR have momentarily regained control. Our forwards' movement have stopped, McGoldrick can even be seen making a frustrated gesture with his hands. A QPR midfielder has also filled in for the LCB being pulled out of position. This means that Baldock crossing probably wouldn't be a good idea.

QPR3.png

And he doesn't. He passes back to Norwood. By this time the CM filling in at LCB shows he's not a defender and just drifts forward again. Sharp and McGoldrick also switch positions and this becomes too much for their one remaining centre half (RCB) to handle. A driven, dipping cross is timed perfectly with McGoldrick's first post run:

QPR4.png

So this wasn't just about passing the ball about until there was an opening to freely kick the ball into the box. The roaming and running on the ball from Stevens removed the LCB from the line of defence. A midfielder proved too sloppy to compensate, and we punished that with a perfectly timed cross and run to the vacated area.

The obvious question.

What the hell is Enda Stevens (our left back) doing almost on the right wing with Baldock?
Some of our formations are in theory plain crazy, but seem to work so well.
They talk about Bielsa being a tactical genius but maybe it’s our own Chris Wilder who is the real tactical genius.
Would love to see Wilder in the PL, he’s currently a national secret but could end up being one of the greatest managers in the game

Or maybe it’s Alan Knill that is the tactics expert with Wilder being the front man, motivator and disciplinarian.

Too much fannying around with it. Gerrit in box early and we'll have less of this tippity tappy passing malarkey too ;)

At one point in the move (not sure if it's in the pictures here or not) we had both fullbacks and a centre-half in the box.

It occurs to me what we do is play a "last five minutes in a cup-tie when we don't want to go to a replay" sort of football. We press and throw men into the box (in a controlled way) all the game. Works for me.

I imagine when Bielsa had us watched the report must have said something along the lines of "I have no fucking idea what they were doing,boss"

More like along the lines of "Why did you send me to a primary school game? All of the kids were chasing the ball in a big huddle with no idea of positional play" :D

The obvious question.

What the hell is Enda Stevens (our left back) doing almost on the right wing with Baldock?
Some of our formations are in theory plain crazy, but seem to work so well.
They talk about Bielsa being a tactical genius but maybe it’s our own Chris Wilder who is the real tactical genius.
Would love to see Wilder in the PL, he’s currently a national secret but could end up being one of the greatest managers in the game

Or maybe it’s Alan Knill that is the tactics expert with Wilder being the front man, motivator and disciplinarian.

Freeman used to pop up all over the place - remember Millwall in L1, he pops up on the left hand side of the box and curls the second(?) goal in with his right foot.

Baldock has wandered a bit in recent games and now Enda. Think we just like to create overloads. In that particular example that Bergen posted, all 11 QPR players were in shot, so will assume players like Enda are given licensed to go an cause the unexpected when there's no one to mark.

UTB

How long will our system work for though? Will other teams suss this system out? Will other teams eventually replicate it? - Currently, not many have a clue how to deal with it and how to counter it

and more importantly, would this system be successful in the Prem? (next year :p)

To be honest, prior to our game with Leeds, Bielsa was extremely complimentary about Wilder, admitting that he'd tried (and failed) to employ similar tactics before.

How long will our system work for though? Will other teams suss this system out? Will other teams eventually replicate it? - Currently, not many have a clue how to deal with it and how to counter it

and more importantly, would this system be successful in the Prem? (next year :p)

Well we've only been doing it for 2 and a half years, we're on the TV regularly, the pundits always focus on the fluidity of the positions in our formation etc.

It's easy to exploit and Swansea did it perfectly on the opening game.

I'd imagine the likes of Rashford and Martial would have a field day if we went all marauding against Man U. Just tell them to cheat and hang on the half way touchline all game. Then ping the ball into the corners.

The midfield was Lundstram, Evans and Fleck and agreed, particularly second half, Carroll and Celina controlled midfield very well.

Carroll is only just available after injury so probably won't play and they'll start against Norwood, Fleck and Duffy.

We owe Swansea for week 1 - I expect to win.

UTB

Is it the fact that we are generally now more willing to put the ball in from deeper angles. Fleck played at least one in from deep before we scored. It is a good tactic to have. Any cleared balls with a defender back peddling may fall loose for one of our many super, edge of the box shooters;) to have a go.

Is it the fact that we are generally now more willing to put the ball in from deeper angles. Fleck played at least one in from deep before we scored. It is a good tactic to have. Any cleared balls with a defender back peddling may fall loose for one of our many super, edge of the box shooters;) to have a go.

Yes, Fleck and Norwood have started to ping across in-swingers from just outside the left and right sides of the penalty box respectively. Our overload seems to play this tactic and final ball in of late.

Works bloody lovely as well.

Yes, Fleck and Norwood have started to ping across in-swingers from just outside the left and right sides of the penalty box respectively. Our overload seems to play this tactic and final ball in of late.

Works bloody lovely as well.
Yep seems to fit with our goals from other build up situations. Even if it looks like Sharp Goldie are scoring still similar types to what you would expect. It is the uncertainty our varied play seems to be creating in oposition defending that is paying off.

We keep tweaking it though, as mentioned above, we’ve started hitting deeper crosses and Bergen’s analysis shows we’be become more effective on the counter attack. Otherwise, we will get sussed out.

I remember Poch at Spurs seemed wedded to a 4231 but has also played five at the back, 433, 442 diamond, all with many of the same players, still playing on the front foot and still doing much of what they’ve always done. There’s plenty for Wilder and Knill to change around a little without losing the core of what we are.

Well we've only been doing it for 2 and a half years, we're on the TV regularly, the pundits always focus on the fluidity of the positions in our formation etc.

I'd imagine the likes of Rashford and Martial would have a field day if we went all marauding against Man U. Just tell them to cheat and hang on the half way touchline all game. Then ping the ball into the corners.
Man U and the other top six are likely to beat us whatever we do. It’s the rest we need to compete with. If Ollie hadn’t have lost Charlie Adam in the JTW, Blackpool would have probably stayed up playing mad attacking football. So it’s possible to keep doing what we’re doing in the PL, if we accept that sometimes it will go wrong and we’ll take a bad beating.

We keep tweaking it though, as mentioned above, we’ve started hitting deeper crosses and Bergen’s analysis shows we’be become more effective on the counter attack. Otherwise, we will get sussed out.

I remember Poch at Spurs seemed wedded to a 4231 but has also played five at the back, 433, 442 diamond, all with many of the same players, still playing on the front foot and still doing much of what they’ve always done. There’s plenty for Wilder and Knill to change around a little without losing the core of what we are.

That's the idea, play with the same ethics of high press and push anyone and everyone forward (except Egan) while leaving a few pacier players outside of the box to counter, well, counter the counter attack. Keep evolving the tactics as you say.

Imagine playing the system successfully in the Prem but with better players in every position. We would be quite a force for sure. Not that I want to get rid of anyone if we go up but if we are to progress we will gradually need to upgrade the playing staff (shhh, don't tell them ;) )

Exciting times and let's hope next season we get PROPER backing from the owner(s) no matter what division we are in.

UTMB

Goals will be scored from various positions and via a variety of supply lines throughout the season. I just think its a consequence of our unpredictable style of play, where our wingbacks and back four have licence to get in the box and every player being comfortable on the ball in confined spaces. Rather than, an intentional subtle tweak of our attacking style, by Wilder and Knill

Clearly United concentrate a lot of their training on retaining possession in a small area, because whichever players are involved, there is no team better. It’s great to watch and pulls opposition players out of position, causes panic, creates space and goal scoring opportunities.

Long may it continue UTB :)

There has to be a bit of unpredictability about us, a mix of early and late crosses
Early crosses? Are you mental! How dare you suggest such things! :O

Back
Top Bottom