Gambling on the bus

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
Firstly, I've had my own problems in the past with gambling.
I'll bet anything you like I'm over it now though ;)
Seeing Billy's 'new bus tour' yesterday, specifically the bit where he mentions the 'card' seats, I wonder what effect gambling has on our players?
I'm not suggesting for a minute that any particular player has a problem habit, but having experienced the deflating mental anguish that goes with losing money, could gambling on the way to games affect the player's mental preparation? It would often take me from a couple of hours to half a day to get my head right again.
I seem to remember Billy saying something about the players who sit there ending up happy or disappointed, so should it be allowed?

You can play cards without gambling you know.

If they are gambling to the extent you're referring to then I'm sure 1. they wouldn't get away with it on the bus and 2. you'd hope the players themselves wouldn't let it get to that point. Far more likely to be someone sat on their own on their phone.

All real, damaging arguments between men in their 20s and 30s are about either gambling or women - it's just the way of the world

The issue here is that most of the evidence shows that gambling on zero effect on a teams performance.

Ray Parlour has said many times that the Arsenal Incincible team that won the league going unbeaten all season had a gambling group.
He used to gsmble on anything and everything with Paul Merson and the legendary club captain Tony Adams.
It appears that every club (even the most successful) has a group of gamblers.

Conclusion: Gambling is totallly irrelevant, as long as it’s with amounts a player can afford.

I think you’ll find gambling is rife in football. There are many well documented stories of it of course. It’s the one thing they can do without affecting their physical health. Rather than in days past spending thousands on big nights out every day/week.

If I was the manager I’d not allow gambling on the way to games but it’d be fine with it on the way back. That said I have zero experience of handling wealthy footballers ! Not sure you could stop it all together.

I can’t imagine what it’d be like lining up next to someone who’s just taken a few grand off you (couple of hundred in my world). I guess the adrenaline of the game would probably take over though.

On a side note, it’d be interesting to know if foreign players do it as much. Don’t know much about gambling in other countries

The issue here is that most of the evidence shows that gambling on zero effect on a teams performance.

Ray Parlour has said many times that the Arsenal Incincible team that won the league going unbeaten all season had a gambling group.
He used to gsmble on anything and everything with Paul Merson and the legendary club captain Tony Adams.
It appears that every club (even the most successful) has a group of gamblers.

Conclusion: Gambling is totallly irrelevant, as long as it’s with amounts a player can afford.

I'd agree with that SS if it weren't for the fact that different people deal with it in different ways, depending on their personality.
If Arsenal had gamblers who became more determined if they lost, you could argue that it had a beneficial effect.
Those who felt they had let themselves down again and carried guilt around with them may instead lose focus. Ultimately, those who do have a serious issue and give in to the temptation to earn a few quid by 'alternative methods' such as influencing results (allegedly!) makes it very much relevant I think.

Firstly, I've had my own problems in the past with gambling.
I'll bet anything you like I'm over it now though ;)
Seeing Billy's 'new bus tour' yesterday, specifically the bit where he mentions the 'card' seats, I wonder what effect gambling has on our players?
I'm not suggesting for a minute that any particular player has a problem habit, but having experienced the deflating mental anguish that goes with losing money, could gambling on the way to games affect the player's mental preparation? It would often take me from a couple of hours to half a day to get my head right again.
I seem to remember Billy saying something about the players who sit there ending up happy or disappointed, so should it be allowed?
All football teams have card players.

I was listening to the Peter Crouch podcast and he was describing the Stoke City Bus, much in the same way as the United bus which Billy gave us a tour of, it was laid out in a similar way.

The point is that any gambling on the card table, if it is allowed, will be monitored by Wilder, Billy or any of the other players. We have a tight group of players. We have some sensible heads in there as well.

If there is a gambling problem, it'll be away from the card table on the bus nowadays.

Anyway, i presume Madine, set fire to the cards, smashed up all the wireless charging points and the coffee machine just after the Billy's video

There's a Non League manager who experienced playing at the highest level, including internationals. To many many at certain club he played for, he is regarded as a 'hero', someone who the majority would want and have wanted as their manager since he retired from playing. His level of gambling debts to former players/team-mates is such that he has had to 'employ' them in certain roles with ridiculously long contracts and wages, just in order to repay them what he owes them.

Gambling has changed massively since online betting (mainly gaming) has come in and I suspect 95% of gambling debts are due to online addiction these days. I don't doubt players play money for cards but I'd be surprised if it was to the extent we're talking about where it would affect their well being. I can't imagine what it's like for 19/20 year olds to get paid the amounts they get these days and of course it's all too easy to gamble but not in a controlled environment like a team bus playing cards.

Should it be allowed?

So ‘yes’ means I don’t care whether there’s a problem and fuck ‘em if there is.

And ‘no’ means Wilder is an idiot for letting them.

Nice.

I never thought of it like that to be honest, I was pleased that they interacted with eachother. There's nothing worse than seeing a team with their own headphones on.
The fact it's a traditional game rather than a computer or tablet game too was an even bigger bonus.

Throughout my entire life, wherever I’ve been and wherever I’ve worked if there has been a card school knocking about I’ve guarabteed to be a part of it, and I don’t think there is any card game I don’t know how to play. Growing up I used to spend hours playing cribbage with my old man (I bet that in itself is a dying art), but family games of nomination whilst. Many years ago I had a year working at Fletchers and on every break I was involved in a massive card school, chase the ace, poker, basket brag, three card brag (one of the seasons I worked at Butlins me and a group of mates had a card night one night a week, 3 card brag, 10p blind, 20p open and it was the best night of the week). I’ve even played Poker and Blackjack in the gambling Mecca off the world, Las Vegas and loved every single second of the experience, and I’m a frequent online gambler with several different betting accounts. I first began gambling as a teenager and always enjoyed it ever since, but here is the thing. I’ve pretty much only ever gambled what I can afford to lose, I’ve had some cracking winners over the years and lost count on the number of dead certs that have blobbed.

I’ve also seen the flip side of gambling, I’ve seen how it can get in to someone’s head and almost destroy their life, and to be honest because I’ve never allowed it to become a problem for me, I’ve not understood why they haven’t been able to rein it in or stop it from taking control. None of it was pretty to watch but gambling is something that can very much be one mans fun but also another mans downfall. The addiction from gambling comes from the dopamine hit they you get from a win, and it is the dopamine hit that you get from a win that is addictive. I don’t win or lose life changing sums, and I’ve never stood at a roulette table knowing that red or black is absolute shit or bust and for me my pleasure comes from winning a few quid and knowing I’ve outsmarted a bookmaker. Your real problem gamblers are the ones that will be hiding what they are doing, and the sheer accessibility of instant gratification of gambling is so easy to get. Years ago it would be big bets on the horses and the fruit machines, nowadays it is all online and with the FOBTs.

Now I don’t really see what harm a card school could do as long as it isn’t stupid, and I can’t see it being allowed to get out of hand. If anything it is better for team bonding as the players build up a bond and bit of camaraderie over winning and losing a quid on the endless journeys to and from away games. All I needs for everyone involved to be sensible and for the management to keep a watch over it to make sure it doesn’t get out of hand.

And as for the final things. It is a 4 seater table, who do we think the active participants are. I’m guessing

John Egan
John Fleck
Dean Henderson
Paul Coutts

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the gambling on the coach as it’s probably not vast amounts of money and it’s a good way for the players to relax. I seem to remember that paddy kenny had an issue with gambling?. I used to regularly play cards on the way to and from away games!!. I do remember losing a small fortune coming back from Bristol city on the train a few years ago. UTB

We lost. Obvs due to infighting over gambling.

When we win the gambling can be ignored as it's just a larf.

Simples

I blame the coach builders for not installing the stealth anti gambling....auto kidney punching seats....apparently they were all bought by a certain seafood industries company for the supporters coaches...but no one can confirm that...yet

My guess is that there’s no money on the table and Wilder doesn’t know what they’re playing for really, unless he’s involved? :)

Great for team spirit and for the players to get to know each other. Used to love playing cards on the bus to different games, albeit not at championship level it still creates a genuine camaraderie.

There's a Non League manager who experienced playing at the highest level, including internationals. To many many at certain club he played for, he is regarded as a 'hero', someone who the majority would want and have wanted as their manager since he retired from playing. His level of gambling debts to former players/team-mates is such that he has had to 'employ' them in certain roles with ridiculously long contracts and wages, just in order to repay them what he owes them.
Managing not a million miles from here now?

Back
Top Bottom