Favourite bramall lane?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The old John Street Stand oh boy what memories standing outside entrance G where season ticket holders entered Dad being the holder. Meeting players like Hodgy Coldwell Joe Shaw & Graham, privileged eh!
The wooden floors the smell of pipe tabacco and oxo and walking past the players door getting loads of autographs just before entering the terracing and the sight of the pitch heart thumping times as a little kid. With attendances almost as high 60000 Hooked as a Blade forever Happy Days Thanks Dad (RIP)

Unfortunately the old spion kops were never built with seats in mind. With their shallow rakes and restricted views they were priced accordingly and perfect for mass standing. Both us and Wendy's took the cheap option and put seats onto these concrete covered hills, which makes them much harder to incorporate into a modern football stadium. In my mind total demolition of the existing kop stand is the only option. Rebuild it to a similar standard as the south stand which will allow the corner to be filled in properly.

Unfortunately the old spion kops were never built with seats in mind. With their shallow rakes and restricted views they were priced accordingly and perfect for mass standing. Both us and Wendy's took the cheap option and put seats onto these concrete covered hills, which makes them much harder to incorporate into a modern football stadium. In my mind total demolition of the existing kop stand is the only option. Rebuild it to a similar standard as the south stand which will allow the corner to be filled in properly.
And knock 5,000 off the capacity. All at an expense of course. One that will never pay for itself given that any new kop built steeper with more leg room will never house more punters unless it's taller than St Paul's tower on Arundel Gate!

The only logical half solution in my opinion is the one we put forward about ten years ago. New roof, remove the poles, indoor concourse, 3,000 new seats at the back with a steeper rake. There's no point doing any work on the kop unless it adds to the 10,200 seats already there, otherwise it's financially nonsense

And knock 5,000 off the capacity. All at an expense of course. One that will never pay for itself given that any new kop built steeper with more leg room will never house more punters unless it's taller than St Paul's tower on Arundel Gate!

The only logical half solution in my opinion is the one we put forward about ten years ago. New roof, remove the poles, indoor concourse, 3,000 new seats at the back with a steeper rake. There's no point doing any work on the kop unless it adds to the 10,200 seats already there, otherwise it's financially nonsense

I think the way it's going the Kop will be back standing in the not too distant future.

Agree, people have romantic and idealistic new designs and plans for the Kop
BUT unfortunately in the business world the bottom line is PROFITABILITY demonstrated in a business plan. Let's be straight, McCabe is a professional, presumably expert property developer, he will know what the market is and exactly how and when to make money from the spare land around the stadium.

Also agree that the club may be holding back to see what developes regards safe standing.

Last edited:
My greatest sense of pride and satisfaction at the Lane is that it's surpassed the rust heap that is the sty. When I was a kid the Lane was a 3-sided dump whilst their ground had been rebuilt for free courtesy of the '66 world cup. It pains me to admit it but by sixties standards there wasn't much could beat it.

But how things have changed. We have rebuilt our ground, it looks great from any angle and is unique in it's history. Theirs is a fucking rusty, dilapidated death-trap covered in stupid plastic sheets sitting on the edge of town like a fucking carbuncle. Its name will forever be associated with tragedy and corruption.

If you had told me 50 years ago that the tables would have turned like this I would have thought it impossible and you were fucking mad. Our ground now gives me a huge feeling of pride made even better by the shithouse that is Hillsborough.

The kop was antiquated before it was built.
Building onto the existing rake would mean punters near the back would be closer to Shoreham street back gardens than the BL pitch.
If you're going to incorporate the existing kop in any modern development a 2 tier stand would be better in my opinion, and wouldnt look as daft.

Contrary as per I'll say fuck the seating and give me the old kop,John St Terrace. Smell of smoke,surges. Proper 70's songs. Going to stand where you wanted. Characters. Edgyness. Sanitised fucking shit today in comparison.
And the catering is way fucking worse!!! and the bogs are just as bad. Thank fuck!
I SBT , and try pissin down some fuckers leg on Kop nar , health and safety I tell thee . ;)

If you're going to incorporate the existing kop in any modern development a 2 tier stand would be better in my opinion, and wouldnt look as daft.

Couldn't be done, the rubble heap that is the existing kop would never support such a structure. The extension at the back is the only viable option.

I could have wrote that myself , as that's how I started , only dad was a pig , but wouldn't go to see em as they were in a league below us .
Thanks Da ( RIP )

The kop was antiquated before it was built.
Building onto the existing rake would mean punters near the back would be closer to Shoreham street back gardens than the BL pitch.

The current proposal was to build the extension at the back of the Kop at a steeper rake than the rest of the stand, then have the roof sloping down so it eventually lines up with the rooflines of the other stands.

Making the rake of the whole Kop stand steeper REDUCES capacity (assuming we have the roofline the same height of the other stands). A way around this problem is to build a double tier or triple tier stand. However this would drastically increase costs, assume all the soil would need removing to be able to install sufficient foundations to support the extra weight. Removing soil could uncover all kinds of trouble, dangerous materials/ unexplored bombs. It would take decades to recoup the investment.

My favourite BDTBL is the one from the late 90s after the new John Street was completed. Four sides for the first time in two years and the old pylon floodlights at the BL end. The football wasn't too shabby either.

I was just too young to remember the old standing Kop and John st, I do remember being quite embarrassed at our wooden seats for years on the upper tier and south stand though.
I remember the first day of the premier league in 2006/7 when we played Liverpool I walked through meersbrook park stopping off for a Jamaican woodbine while looking at the ground from a distance it seemed to be glistening and then I walked down bramall lane and up cherry street which had just had the street lights put in and the upper corner was looking well too, that day for me will always be the day where Bramall lane looked it's best..... Even the munchies tasted well and I'm pretty sure even Bob Marleys three little birds played over the tannoy too. Gerrard ruined our day and also got me paranoid about a conspiracy against us......

My greatest sense of pride and satisfaction at the Lane is that it's surpassed the rust heap that is the sty. When I was a kid the Lane was a 3-sided dump whilst their ground had been rebuilt for free courtesy of the '66 world cup. It pains me to admit it but by sixties standards there wasn't much could beat it.

But how things have changed. We have rebuilt our ground, it looks great from any angle and is unique in it's history. Theirs is a fucking rusty, dilapidated death-trap covered in stupid plastic sheets sitting on the edge of town like a fucking carbuncle. Its name will forever be associated with tragedy and corruption.

If you had told me 50 years ago that the tables would have turned like this I would have thought it impossible and you were fucking mad. Our ground now gives me a huge feeling of pride made even better by the shithouse that is Hillsborough.

Well said. Remove the fact that Wednesday play there and I still fucking hate Hillsborough, aesthetically it's a state, their most architecturally interesting and best looking stand is their north stand with the cantilever roof, but they've left it to rot and put a fucking warehouse behind it.

The fact that Leppings Lane is still there and accepting fans is absolutely abhorrent to me and speaks volumes of a nasty, callous, corrupt club. They've got a stone with a plaque on it which took them 10 years to put there, and some white seats, it's disgusting, 96 dead, more if you count people who have committed suicide after the fact due to the psychological impact, and hundreds injured, thousands scarred.

Should have been closed and bulldozed, with a proper memorial and a new safe stand. It just seems like dancing on a grave to still allow people to sit there, like covering a blood stain with a rug.

I hope their tarp flies off. Twats.

Well said. Remove the fact that Wednesday play there and I still fucking hate Hillsborough, aesthetically it's a state, their most architecturally interesting and best looking stand is their north stand with the cantilever roof, but they've left it to rot and put a fucking warehouse behind it.

The fact that Leppings Lane is still there and accepting fans is absolutely abhorrent to me and speaks volumes of a nasty, callous, corrupt club. They've got a stone with a plaque on it which took them 10 years to put there, and some white seats, it's disgusting, 96 dead, more if you count people who have committed suicide after the fact due to the psychological impact, and hundreds injured, thousands scarred.

Should have been closed and bulldozed, with a proper memorial and a new safe stand. It just seems like dancing on a grave to still allow people to sit there, like covering a blood stain with a rug.

I hope their tarp flies off. Twats.

I could imagine some of their lot and fans from Liverpool and other clubs might find what you've put as offensive but it only takes a ticket to a sold out lower leppings lane to agree with you, it's still dangerous now in my opinion. That tunnel needs to be a hell of a lot wider in my opinion, like you say the best thing they could do is bulldoze it and start again.

I could imagine some of their lot and fans from Liverpool and other clubs might find what you've put as offensive but it only takes a ticket to a sold out lower leppings lane to agree with you, it's still dangerous now in my opinion. That tunnel needs to be a hell of a lot wider in my opinion, like you say the best thing they could do is bulldoze it and start again.

I hope that in the event that any Liverpool fan reads it they'd know that what I've put might be strongly worded and a bit hyperbolic but it's because I feel strongly that those affected and killed aren't being respected as much as they should be by Wednesday, and the tragedy is seen as more of a hindrance/ excuse by Wednesday depending on how they're feeling. It was a tragedy, and thousands of football fans cheering where people died with intentions of doing the same just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Me supporting United and my dislike of Wednesday from a sporting standpoint has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
I hope that in the event that any Liverpool fan reads it they'd know that what I've put might be strongly worded and a bit hyperbolic but it's because I feel strongly that those affected and killed aren't being respected as much as they should be by Wednesday, and the tragedy is seen as more of a hindrance/ excuse by Wednesday depending on how they're feeling. It was a tragedy, and thousands of football fans cheering where people died with intentions of doing the same just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Me supporting United and my dislike of Wednesday from a sporting standpoint has nothing to do with that.
really.??

really.??

I genuinely think I'd feel the same way even if I didn't like football at all, though I get if you'd think otherwise and I suppose I'll never know.

Just doesn't sit right at all, though obviously the forum for my opinions (this one) changes the way I put them across.

Anyway, Bramall Lane is fucking gorgeous these days and anyone that says otherwise needs to look at some other grounds around the country.

Back
Top Bottom