Duffy - superstar or good player

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

dblade56

Reaction score
Please don't get me wrong, I do like Duffy, but the way he is hero worshiped on here by some would make you think he was the first messi.

He really played well last season on League 1 and when Brooksy started to show what he can do, Duffy picked up his level to another notch. But in the last few games he's not beating people, he's not scoring goals and seems to look off the pace.

I know I will; get shouted down and I've not see Leonard or Holmes in a United shirt yet, but I'm not sure he's the first name thought of for his position at present.

I accept I will be shouted down, but I've been watching the Blades for over 55 yrs and believe I'm entitled to my view

Yeah you're right, he was rubbish against Norwich can't think of a single thing he did!!!! :D

All entitled to our view mate, goes without saying.

To answer from my perspective, not a superstar just a great player. Wilder doesn't do superstars, he wants hard work, focus and ideally a sprinkle of talent. Duffy epitomizes this perfectly.
Personally I live watching him play, his close control is as good as any Blades player I have seen in 30 years [so not as long as you and also Brooks could easily trump that soon] but most importantly he never stops trying, even when things don't work. If I had to back one of our players to pass SAS selection, he would be it.
He may well not become 1st choice but the fact that Wilder is extending his contract says he will be around this team for a couple of years yet.

I was meaning Duffy not being first name for that position, didn't think he played on Saturday

Please don't get me wrong, I do like Duffy, but the way he is hero worshiped on here by some would make you think he was the first messi.

He really played well last season on League 1 and when Brooksy started to show what he can do, Duffy picked up his level to another notch. But in the last few games he's not beating people, he's not scoring goals and seems to look off the pace.

I know I will; get shouted down and I've not see Leonard or Holmes in a United shirt yet, but I'm not sure he's the first name thought of for his position at present.

I accept I will be shouted down, but I've been watching the Blades for over 55 yrs and believe I'm entitled to my view
Duffy is the first name for that position, in this setup because he's done it consistently this season and was also excellent at times last season. Nobody has got close to edging him out... yet.

However, if someone ousts him and puts in consistent performances then good luck to them

The bar has been set for that position by Duffy, its up to him to maintain that and others to better it

I think Duffy is an example of a player who is acutely aware of his own limitations, and how to use his strengths to maximum effect. He also always shows for the ball, even if he’s having a shocker, which is both useful and endears him to the fans.

I agree that in the derby he didn’t move the ball as quickly as he has done, and perhaps looked a bit predictable, but I thought he was outstanding against Sunderland.

When Duffy plays well he’s almost unplayable in the way he floats about and creates in a free role. When he plays well we do!

He’s a dictator and game changer - but we are being unreasonable to expect him to perform at 9 out of 10 every game! Creative players unless they are top tier will never be able to do that game after game.

I don’t think he’s blowing hot and cold just can’t always hit the very top heights every match. We now have strong completion in that position in Brooks and Holmes so we can rest / rotate to keep everyone on their toes.

It’s probably not a coincidence given his age that performances have dropped off abit given the hectic Christmas period when he was having to play every minute due to brooks illnesses and Holmes transfer still being completed.

He’s still a contender for player of the season for me and has stepped up brilliantly for his first season at this level.

Class player. His qualities have really translated to this level. He's a clever player and has quick feet. His game isn't based on his pace but he's nippy enough to make an impact. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I think he'd still be good at a higher level. Not a superstar but I'm not sure we really do superstars. Been one of our best three players this year.

As for Leonard/Holmes, Leonard definitely isn't a Duffy. He's a hard-working midfielder. Won't be the spark to attacks but will work hard and get box to box, likely scoring some goals and saving some goals too. Will be interesting to see how Holmes does there, though.

Hes not a “superstar” but he’s better than “a good player”.

I’ve been watching United since the late 70’s and he’s probably my 2nd favourite player (to watch) behind Sabella.
He’s no where near the best player we’ve had, he can be ineffective at times and has a poor scoring record.
But his instant control, dribbling skills and intelligence means he oozes class.

For me he’s a poor mans Davide Silva and as I’ve got older I’ve come to appreciate these cerebral types more.
It makes a change because in the past our most appreciated players have tended to be the give 100% ”run through walls” worker types.

If I had to back one of our players to pass SAS selection, he would be it.

Love it! (So you're watching that as well then....)

I agree though. We have a number of players who'd do well on that. It says a lot.

Maybe Wilder judges all new signings by SAS criteria.... maybe that's our secret.

No shouting down from me. In answer to your heading, I think he is a good player, and that superstar would not be an appropriate label for someone who has had a career in the lower divisions (I don't like the term anyway - it seems to refer inevitably to wealth and celebrity, rather than just footballing achievements). I would add that I have wondered whether he would have had a career at a higher level if he had played his current role much earlier; in the pre-season friendly at Matlock, when he was needing to play to get match-fit, I was very disappointed with his standard, and thought he was looking past it. It was only as the game went on that I concluded that he needs good players around him, to make runs off the ball, play 1-2s, etc., and with second-string players who don't know his game, he is less effective. I do wonder whether in a team of outstanding players he would have looked the part, and had a career at the top level.

Currie had the ability/ confidence/ swagger of a superstar
Sabella had the skill of a superstar and
Brooks has the potential that makes you think he could become a superstar.

I'll be expecting Leeds United to sign Brooks... keep the circle alive.

For me he’s a poor mans Davide Silva and as I’ve got older I’ve come to appreciate these cerebral types more.It makes a change because in the past our most appreciated players have tended to be the give 100% ”run through walls” worker types.

I was actually about to say the same thing re: David Silva, but given my first ever thread went down like a lead balloon I didn't fancy another pasting! But I completely agree.

It's all relative.
In this team he's a superstar...like a handful of others actually.

P.S- don't assume your entitlement to a view on here... :D

It's a good and thought provoking OP. Duffy is in his own right a very good player, and should almost certainly have played at a higher level for the majority of his career.

Context is everything however. He's very different from anything we've seen at BDTBL in a long time (in a good way) which endears him to the fans. He was also part of a fantastic team and season. He's technically excellent, positional aware, skilful and tenacious, and the cherry on the cake is a certain goal in a certain place at a certain moment in a certain match last September.

To sum up, as a generic 'footballer' he's a good 2nd tier player. As an SUFC footballer, he's fantastic and welcome to marry my sister whenever he wants.

He's a great player, of course he isn't a superstar.

But you can't really question him this season. Post Coutts injury he's suffered more than anyone if you ask me, bar the odd game, but before that he was our player of the year along with Leon. He was outstanding.

Brooks tried to play in that position but just doesn't understand the defensive work as much and doesn't recycle the ball as well. He tries to make things happen TOO often if you know what I mean, I think he's better further up. Duffy keeps things simple when he needs to and will try and slide neat through balls through the gaps or run with it when he needs to. Admittedly since Couttsy broke his leg he hasn't reached those levels again, but with the signing of Evans who is like a carbon copy of Coutts he can find that form again.

He's just on a bad run of form. And with Carruthers being his competition I think he allowed himself to slack off whether intentionally or not. The signing of Holmes and Brooks coming back to fitness means that'll no longer be the case.

I feel a bit like Adrian Durham, can't stand the guy but he does get the discussions going .... UTB

And I'm sure we'll see Duffy back to his best, maybe needs a few games rest

Currie's career only took off after he signed for LUFC...
A BIG fish in the BDTBL pond.

#DevilsAdvocate
I only said he was the nearest because there were some elements there - the long hair, the adoration from the fans, the swagger, the showing-off, sitting on the ball, blowing kisses to the crowd as he went on a dribble, and the high quality of much of his football... But in a national/international survey I can't think he would be high on a list of football superstars. Bloody good to watch, though...

Brooks tried to play in that position but just doesn't understand the defensive work as much and doesn't recycle the ball as well. He tries to make things happen TOO often if you know what I mean, I think he's better further up. .

Completely agree. Brooks is a bit too mercurial for that role right now. He flitters in and out of games. It's incredibly important for our system that whoever is in that role is always showing for the ball and giving an option. You have quite a lot of responsibility. Can't shy away. Don't think Brooks is ready for it. That's why he's best playing off a striker right now.

I only said he was the nearest because there were some elements there - the long hair, the adoration from the fans, the swagger, the showing-off, sitting on the ball, blowing kisses to the crowd as he went on a dribble, and the high quality of much of his football... But in a national/international survey I can't think he would be high on a list of football superstars. Bloody good to watch, though...

We're alarmingly short on superstars, not just here but as a footballing city.

But in the footballing world, that's no surprise as we're currently languishing in the Charity Shops, not on the major high streets.

Back
Top Bottom