Comparisons with Southampton 2010/11

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade for Sale

Reaction score
On the plus side:
24 points at this stage of the season after slow start
Preseason favourites
Unpopular predominantly white kit
Dean Hammond
Nigel Adkins

On the downside, they had, in hindsight, probably the best squad ever in this league (proven by the subsequent campaign in the Champoinship), including:
Kelvin Davis
Jose Fonte
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Adam Lallana
Rickie Lambert
Morgan Schneiderlin
Jason Puncheon

You've got your work cut out Mr Adkins, 'cos our lot wouldn't beat that lot with a 4 goal start.

On the plus side:
Preseason favourites
Dean Hammond
Nigel Adkins

On the downside, they had, in hindsight, probably the best squad ever in this league (proven by the subsequent campaign in the Champoinship), including:
Kelvin Davis
Jose Fonte
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Adam Lallana
Rickie Lambert
Morgan Schneiderlin
Jason Puncheon

You've got your work cut out Mr Adkins, 'cos our lot wouldn't beat that lot with a 4 goal start.
Not sure how Adkins and Hammond have made it into the 'plus side' on current performance...

Not sure how Adkins and Hammond have made it into the 'plus side' on current performance...

Not comparing the two managers but just the two situations.

I assume you think Jose Mourinhio is an awful manager going on current performance?

It's hardly a similar comparison

Why not?

Man with excellent CV (obviously at s much higher level) is currently operating at a level that most would agree is lower than would be expected.

Judging by some comments on Adkins, he must be poor? He's also been sacked previously too.

On the downside, they had, in hindsight, probably the best squad ever in this league

Some of us were pointing this out before Adkins was appointed as a reason why we shouldn't all get into a mass circlejerk by counting the number of promotions

Why not?

Man with excellent CV (obviously at s much higher level) is currently operating at a level that most would agree is lower than would be expected.

Judging by some comments on Adkins, he must be poor? He's also been sacked previously too.
Adkins now v Adkins then is a very different comparison he can't even get us defending let alone playing decent football, which he did with Southampton.

Adkins hasn't proved much at Sheff Utd yet, I'd make the comparison next season as I think that will be our best chance of promotion from this division

And while some of you were doing that, were you making a suggestion of who would be a better manager?

I was certainly in favour of other names mentioned at the time, I'll leave you to go back and search for yourself. I'd like to think most of the names listed back then would have seen more than two games of ours from last season and recognised our enormous centre back deficiency, if only because they happened to be in our division at the time

looking back the list of Saints players exactly where we are now were as well known as ours are now after 14 games of that season

schneiderling got the same stick on their forums as hammond gets up till the good run started

I was certainly in favour of other names mentioned at the time, I'll leave you to go back and search for yourself. I'd like to think most of the names listed back then would have seen more than two games of ours from last season and recognised our enormous centre back deficiency, if only because they happened to be in our division at the time

Why would i possibly want to do that?

I'm just intrigued as (without the benefit of hindsight) who would have been a better choice going on track record than Adkins?

If you did in fact suggest a different name who would have been more viable that isn't based on hindsight them I'm all ears.

Adkin's appointment was an absolute no brainier.

looking back the list of Saints players exactly where we are now were as well known as ours are now after 14 games of that season

schneiderling got the same stick on their forums as hammond gets up till the good run started

I realise that your optimism knows no reality but are you seriously suggesting that our current crop could emulate what that one achieved?

was thinking about this recently, looking at the comparisons with the Southampton situation, the fact that they had Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana and Lambert in that team, all destined to go on and do summat. I then thought well maybe we might look back in a couple of years and say well we did have Che and Reedy, future full England internationals. Not given up yet, as you say Adkins appointment a no brainer, if we'd gone for Parkinson and not done well it would be all about board has no ambition, why didn't we get the best man available etc etc.

was thinking about this recently, looking at the comparisons with the Southampton situation, the fact that they had Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana and Lambert in that team, all destined to go on and do summat. I then thought well maybe we might look back in a couple of years and say well we did have Che and Reedy, future full England internationals. Not given up yet, as you say Adkins appointment a no brainer, if we'd gone for Parkinson and not done well it would be all about board has no ambition, why didn't we get the best man available etc etc.

Yes, I heard some of the backlash when it was rumoured we'd approached Parkinson.

The board would have been hugely slagged had we appointed him and his CV doesn't compare favourably to Adkins.

Yes, I heard some of the backlash when it was rumoured we'd approached Parkinson.

The board would have been hugely slagged had we appointed him and his CV doesn't compare favourably to Adkins.
But he might have won his last 4 games? :)

UTB

On the plus side:
Preseason favourites
Dean Hammond
Nigel Adkins

Kelvin Davis
Jose Fonte
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Adam Lallana
Rickie Lambert
Morgan Schneiderlin
Jason Puncheon

A lot of those players weren't outstanding at the time and improved massively after that promotion, especially Fonte, Lallana and Puncheon. Puncheon's career was going downhill at the time. Oxlade-Chamberlain was very young. They were obviously good but it's not like they won every game 4-0 when they were in League One.

By the time they got to the Championship it still wasn't even an outstanding side at that level and that promotion was a genuinely impressive achievement for Adkins.

Adkins now v Adkins then is a very different comparison he can't even get us defending let alone playing decent football, which he did with Southampton.

Adkins hasn't proved much at Sheff Utd yet, I'd make the comparison next season as I think that will be our best chance of promotion from this division

I'm sick of "next season" :mad:

If the Southampton squad were so good way back in 2011 why was Pardew unable to get them promoted?
One could claim that the reason is Pardew's incompetence and yet here he is back in the Premiership and looking like a future candidate for the England managers job.

I realise that your optimism knows no reality but are you seriously suggesting that our current crop could emulate what that one achieved?

did any one really see Saints doing it , or bournemouth

their fans after 16 games would have been as sceptical as you are

they were both falling short of expectation , losing willy nilly
conceding at bad times then , a switch flicked
its not my optimism its what happened

the switch that flicked for Bournemouth was Eddie Howe returning

But you have to admit, in hindsight, that Adkins had some real gems, albeit unpolished, at his disposal at Southampton. It takes some leap of faith to imagine any of our squad being in he same bracket as a Lallana or Oxlade-Chamberlain in 4/5 years time. Once the switch was flicked at St Mary's, it lit up like Tokyo. In comparison, we are a Christmas Tree in a rest home.

Of course the argument that Adkins did this at Scunthorpe with far lesser tools at his disposal is a valid one, and one we really have to cling onto at the moment.

And Saint Too Long was telling everyone Schneirderling was world class.

Back
Top Bottom