Clough update 8 July

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
https://audioboo.fm/boos/2310811-sufc-boss-nigel-clough-s-pre-season-and-transfer-update

Main points:
  • players back for preseason training with no injuries to report. Training going well with lots of running at the moment

• Harrison McGahey close to signing; we're hoping to agree a fee with Blackpool to avoid going to a tribunal. Very much seen as one for the future, spotted when we were scouting someone else.

• No more bids for Maguire but equally no progress on a new deal: "he's under contract for another year"

• We made a bid for Chris O'Grady earlier in the summer but haven't gone back after that was rejected. Clough didn't seem overly concerned about finalising that deal.

• We made an offer to take Kieron Freeman on loan for the season and would consider a free transfer deal but with Derby looking for a fee we're biding our time and looking elsewhere.

• The main target for the vacant right back slot is Brayford but we're waiting for Cardiff to decide whether he's part of their squad for the season.

• One signing expected this week and it's a name not mentioned above (the mysterious #26?!)

• Clough feels that the squad is on the small side after the departure of Brandy and Taylor - NC mentions "16 or 17 outfield players". The plan is that we'll have a squad of 20 outfielders supplemented by the youth players

• George Long expected to go on loan for the season as "it will benefit him"

• Di Girolamo has come back in good shape and will be training with the U18s and U21s but, reading between the lines, he'll be involved in the friendlies.

• Loans will be used to get players we can't afford to buy, with longer loans preferred.

• Burton friendly will see two different XIs used

Interesting that NC essentially said he didn't think Freeman warranted a fee. He's an U21 for his country and contracted with a Championship club.

Slightly worrying on the striker front. He's now talking of a striking department that can include McNulty, Baxter, Porter, Murphy and JCR in the event we aren't successful. Murphy is in my view too good on the left to move.

I cant see the mystery signing being much of a mystery. I would assume its McGahey as its already been reported its imminent.

We aren't going to go up without a good striker being signed. Not worried yet but will be if no one is in place come 9 August.

We aren't going to go up without a good striker being signed. Not worried yet but will be if no one is in place come 9 August.

THIS ^

We are a play off squad at the moment but without this crucial position being sorted then we are not top two material, I hope and pray we are working hard behind the scenes and not making do until he who must not be named arrives back In October, we have big six pointers coming up in both August and September.

THIS ^

We are a play off squad at the moment but without this crucial position being sorted then we are not top two material, I hope and pray we are working hard behind the scenes and not making do until he who must not be named arrives back In October, we have big six pointers coming up in both August and September.

We are signing Lord Voldermort in October?

The problem is there will always be competition for good strikers.

All of a sudden,Barnsley have said they'll listen to offers for players, including O'Grady. I reckon Clough probably thinks if there are rivals bids that'll put O'Grady's price up maybe beyond what Clough values him at. However, we don't seem to have lodged any bid at all for O'Grady, maybe he isn't our prime target.

His comment about loans and quality were quite interesting. His fallback could be to try for a good striker on loan. Very hard to find but it can be done eg MK Donkeys getting extremely lucky with Patrick Bamford.

A high risk strategy but maybe we'll have a better chance to pick up a decent striker permanently in the January transfer window.

We would have to have good start, hopefully winning games by 1-0 with our current crop of strikers. We don't currently look like a side with lots of goals in it. A lot would depend on McNulty hitting the ground running.

Harry staying, Bray returning and a decent striker remain the problems to solve. I feel we need two of these to happen to be a top 2 contender.

Having 20 outfielders + the kids is quite a leap from previous interviews where he’s said he wanted a first team squad of 18.
By my reckoning, we have 16 confirmed first team outfielders so far. McGahey will make 17, which leaves room for 3 more without anyone leaving (right back, centre forward + ??).

Goalkeepers:
G1 Mark Howard - Contracted till end of June 2015, optional year extension taken up
G2 George Long - Contracted till end of June 2016

Defenders:
1 Bob Harris - Contracted till end of June 2015 - optional year extension taken up
2 Harry Maguire - Contracted till end of June 2015, new long term contract offered
3 Neill Collins - Contracted till end of June 2015 + optional year extension
4 Andy Butler – Contracted till end of June 2016
5 Harrison McGahey - ??

Midfield:
6 Ryan Flynn - Contracted till end of June 2016 + optional year extension
7 Michael Doyle - Contracted till end of June 2015
8 Stephen McGinn - Contracted till end of June 2015
9 Stefan Scougall - Contracted till end of June 2017
10 Jamie Murphy - Contracted till end of June 2016
11 Jamal Campbell-Ryce - Contracted till end of June 2016
12 Chris Basham – Contracted till end of June 2017
13 Ben Davies – Contracted till end of June 2015
14 James Wallace – Contracted till end of June 2017

Strikers:
15 Jose Baxter - Contracted till end of June 2016
16 Marc McNulty - Contracted till end of June 2017
17 Chris Porter – Contracted till end of June 2015

It has been stated that Long is likely to go out on loan for the season so does that mean Willis will be on the bench as cover for the first XI? Or is Paddy the Pudster on his way back?

Two teams for Burton friendly:-

Team A (4-5-1)
Howard
Basham Collins Maguire Harris
Flynn Scougall Doyle Wallace Murphy
Baxter

Team B (4-4-2)
Long
Davies McGahey Butler Kennedy
Campbell-Ryce McGinn Dimaio Khan
Porter McNulty

Sothall_Blade you've done as I did and left out Cuvelier. That said, he's probably not going to play this side of Christmas. I also think we'll see some movement outwards - particularly in midfield where the squad looks a little heavy.

From that interview it sounds like McGahey will be U18/U21s to start with so he's probably not included in the squad numbers.

EDIT: forgot Kennedy too but from his twitter account it sounds like he's had to have yet another knee op which isn't good news.

It has been stated that Long is likely to go out on loan for the season so does that mean Willis will be on the bench as cover for the first XI? Or is Paddy the Pudster on his way back?

As things stand, it has to be GW on the bench

Keep Paddy well away from this club. He's burnt his bridges

Good luck George (both Long and Willis)

Sothall_Blade you've done as I did and left out Cuvelier. That said, he's probably not going to play this side of Christmas. I also think we'll see some movement outwards - particularly in midfield where the squad looks a little heavy.

From that interview it sounds like McGahey will be U18/U21s to start with so he's probably not included in the squad numbers.

EDIT: forgot Kennedy too but from his twitter account it sounds like he's had to have yet another knee op which isn't good news.

I thought of Cuvelier but I'm not convinced that Clough sees him as part of his first team squad (even when fit).
I think he mentioned previously that Kennedy was still being classed as one of the "kids" (probably on fairly low wages).
Not sure about McGahey? Obviously, he's more likely to get games than say Dimaio as we're very short on defenders.
Haven't heard the interview, so you may be right. 3 or 4 more Senior outfielders still to come in then?

I love how people always have to 'read between the lines' RE : DeGirolamo but never anything else!!

Anyway, interview doesn't say too much really, the striker every blade and their dogs know we need one, so there's no way Clough won't sign a striker before the season starts (surely?).

I also hope Clough is aware, loans should e used to supplement a squad, not to be the base of the team. We are lacking league 1 Strikers or right backs in any sense, so they need to be permanent with the nice compliment of long loanees. Been seen too often that teams rely on loans (don't we know) which shouldn't be considered this year as I hope we will leave nothing to chance.

Mystery player- I'm going for Coady.

Also given the COD deal are we giving them a take or leave it or have we moved on and found an alternative?

Mystery player- I'm going for Coady.

Also given the COD deal are we giving them a take or leave it or have we moved on and found an alternative?

Listening carefully to the NC interview, Bob, including what he doesn't say, it seems to be the former. It's a stand-off. COG needs to help make it happen, if he truly wants to be a Blade. I hope it happens. It will be right for us and right for him.

I cant see the mystery signing being much of a mystery. I would assume its McGahey as its already been reported its imminent.
No,its not McGahey,as NC already mentioned him earlier ..We all know who it is ..don't we ..?
I'm not saying,because we don't want ANOTHER thread about 'you know who !'
:rolleyes:

Two teams for Burton friendly:-

Team A (4-5-1)
Howard
Basham Collins Maguire Harris
Flynn Scougall Doyle Wallace Murphy
Baxter

Team B (4-4-2)
Long
Davies McGahey Butler Kennedy
Campbell-Ryce McGinn Dimaio Khan
Porter McNulty
I think his first choice pairing next season for the first game will be Maguire and Butler, if Maguire stays.

It seems to me NC is playing a canny game. Makes it clear we can start the season with what we have got. That's code for telling everyone we aint desperate, so don't try inflating your terms or fees. If you do you can foxtrot Oscar. Most clubs think we have money to burn so inflate their prices accordingly.

It seems to me NC is playing a canny game. Makes it clear we can start the season with what we have got. That's code for telling everyone we aint desperate, so don't try inflating your terms or fees. If you do you can foxtrot Oscar. Most clubs think we have money to burn so inflate their prices accordingly.
I like all the post but the foxtrot oscar bit deserves a special mention,quality that.

Harry staying, Bray returning and a decent striker remain the problems to solve. I feel we need two of these to happen to be a top 2 contender.

I agree with you, but one of the 2 out of the 3 has to be the striker. If we keep Harry and get Brayford, I still don't see that as enough...we need goals. So Striker and Brayford or Striker and Harry

I agree with you, but one of the 2 out of the 3 has to be the striker. If we keep Harry and get Brayford, I still don't see that as enough...we need goals. So Striker and Brayford or Striker and Harry

or harry as striker

Back
Top Bottom