Charles Green? Who is he?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

judge

Reaction score
Gazza ,Hamilton ricard ,kinkladze and michel beck were other " targets "

Kev Gee

Reaction score
The book also detailed how we apparently tried to sign Michael Laudrup from Real Madrid, after we just survived relegation to the 3rd tier of english football. With McDonald and Green claiming we were serious, did they know they were trying to kid Blades fans, the most cynical of all fans!

I also remember a move to sign Paul Gascoigne from Rangers that made National News.
He ended up at Boro of course.

SunderlandBlade

Reaction score
I also remember a move to sign Paul Gascoigne from Rangers that made National News.
He ended up at Boro of course.
Just like Hamilton Ricard. Not until after McDonald claimed Middlesbrough had no hope of signing him.

One bit of humour in the book, McDonald and Green's persistent blaming of fans for the clubs inability to pay the ridiculous wages that the players were on at the time.

Trigger Blade

Cheerful twaddle
Reaction score
Mike McDonald's hatchetman and Spackman's puppetmaster. He became hated after flogging all our best players in a post-Christmas panic having pushed the boat out too far
I seem to remember an interview with Green, who I think was already at the club when Howard Kendall arrived. We played at Ipswich in Kendall's first or second game and Nathan Blake had a poor first half. Green claimed that at half time, Howard Kendall asked him if that was all Blake could do, to which Green said "yes", so Kendall got rid of him. It certainly wasn't all Blake could do, he'd scored plenty in a struggling Prem and Div 1 side.

I was struck by Green's arrogance, that he felt competent to judge a player and to claim the credit for having unloaded him, although he may have been influenced by the transfer fee Bolton Wnaderers paid.

I also have a vague recollection that somebody on VP or BU played in the same team as Green for Sheffield Boys many years before?

mpjacko

Reaction score
Takeover agreed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18049325

After reading this thread, I'm will keeping an eye on Rangers just as it's very interesting. But as it Rangers, the spot light (press) will be on Green more so I wonder if he will get away with as much as he with with United.

broomhillblade

On the move
Reaction score
Well spotted. I'd forgotten that he'd had little choice but to sell Deane
"The Blades' chief executive chief executive Charles Green honoured a promise to the 29-year-old striker to inform him of any interest from continental clubs.
Deane would have been out of contract at the end of the season and could have had a free transfer abroad under the Bosman ruling."

Fjortoft, it seems, was also after a move to a Premiership club to enhance his chances of playing international football.

On the other hand, Green/McDonald could have said "No".

diplomat

Reaction score
Have Benfica paid for Deane yet? I seem to remember some issues re payment even though they sold him soon after for a lot more than they got him for.

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Saw Green in todays BBC news. first time I have seen him for so many years. His hair has gone all grey. What has happened to his "spiv" tache?

hello

Reaction score
Vas Borbokis is my 3rd favourite ever SUFC player. A better right foot, I've never witnessed at BDTBL.
And his first goal, with the left foot, on his debut v Sunderland, was brilliant. A great day, Deano`s return from Leeds.
Sadly, the season would end v Sunderland, in a playoff semi defeat, away.
Charles Green
He sells the team
Charles Green
He sells the team
etc .

hello

Reaction score
I'll take your word for it, but Deane played his last game on 10th January 1998; Fjortoft played his last game on 13th January. This would suggest that Fjortoft was sold after Brian Deane.
Both sold on jan 15th.

hello

Reaction score
Just seen on the BBC that Charles Green is fronting a bid for Rangers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18039281

He was at the club before my time. Who is he and what was United like at the time? Was it the time of S. Bruce?
I wrote to him in Feb 1998, asking him to resign. He replied that he will never, ever, resign, and "sadly I cannot tell you some of the events that happen behind the scenes at a football club."

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom