Championship play-off final

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So, would you have been at Wembley on Monday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Yup, it does belong in 'General Blades Chat'.:)

With 'the richest football match in the world' coming up on Monday, I've been talking with a few mates along the lines of 'would you have gone if the Blades were in it?'

It would be easy to say 'Of course I would!' but we've been to Wembley three times now (plus Cardiff once), always disappointed, around £200 out of pocket and maybe 'final fatigue' has set in?

Similar to the Huddersfield game in 2012, I think being 'there or thereabouts' nearly all season, to slip into the play-offs so late would have been a total downer.:(

I don't think I could've even watched it. I'd have probably stayed up all night so that I could sleep through it to be honest.

I was bad enough before the Ipswich game and that was "you're promoted automatically if you beat the worst team in the league at home but it doesn't really matter if you don't because goal difference", nevermind "you're promoted if you beat one of the best in the division at Wembley and if you lose you'll have to do it all again with a squad that's been decimated by big dogs picking off the juiciest bits, and probably with a different manager".

I don't think I could've even watched it. I'd have probably stayed up all night so that I could sleep through it to be honest.

I was bad enough before the Ipswich game and that was "you're promoted automatically if you beat the worst team in the league at home but it doesn't really matter if you don't because goal difference", nevermind "you're promoted if you beat one of the best in the division at Wembley and if you lose you'll have to do it all again with a squad that's been decimated by big dogs picking off the juiciest bits, and probably with a different manager".

I agree. Despite the 'riches' on offer, the stakes for the Blades would have been enormous. We could have lost CW and our better players if we lost and it would be back to square one.

Plus, the 'novelty' of going to Wembley is no longer there. That's why crappy little teams like Oxford, Coventry, Wednesday etc. take 40k+ for their 'first' visit. I'm not sure, but have Derby and Villa played at 'New' Wembley yet? Derby sold out their 36k allocation 'within hours' and received 2k extra, which went in half an hour. Ticket prices from a reasonable £36 to an outrageous £98, £70-odd quid for the train etc. etc. makes for an expensive day out. Nothing to do with 'being a bigger Blade', I'm having 8 days in the South of France next month for less.

I doubt if I'd have bothered. I'd save for next years final. In Baku. :D

Given my distance from BL it would have been like a home game.

Also once you start experiencing play off failure after failure then that's quite an emotional investment that deserves the jubilation off a play off victory one day, whenever that might be.

Hate the place. Pain in the arse to get to, pain in the arse to get back from, soulless bowl in the (one of many) arse ends of London, rip off for beer, food and tickets and too many memories of crap experiences at both the old and new. So would I be there...…………..?

Of course I would!:confused:

I agree. Despite the 'riches' on offer, the stakes for the Blades would have been enormous. We could have lost CW and our better players if we lost and it would be back to square one.

Plus, the 'novelty' of going to Wembley is no longer there. That's why crappy little teams like Oxford, Coventry, Wednesday etc. take 40k+ for their 'first' visit. I'm not sure, but have Derby and Villa played at 'New' Wembley yet? Derby sold out their 36k allocation 'within hours' and received 2k extra, which went in half an hour. Ticket prices from a reasonable £36 to an outrageous £98, £70-odd quid for the train etc. etc. makes for an expensive day out. Nothing to do with 'being a bigger Blade', I'm having 8 days in the South of France next month for less.

I doubt if I'd have bothered. I'd save for next years final. In Baku. :D
How did Villa sales go, do you know? They played at Wembley last year

I talked about this with Mrs. Grappler when we were in third spot and looked play-offs bound.

With CW at the helm and Billy as Captain, I didn't have the same feeling of dread as usual.

We would have gone, and I am sure that, for once, it would have been us driving back up the M1, with OUR scarves out of the windows, singing Blades songs and cheering as we passed the glum faces of the coaches of the opposition fans.

Didn't need to do it, CW and AK couldn't be arsed with Wembley this year, so we just went up automatic instead.

We'll save Wembley for a cup final.

How did Villa sales go, do you know? They played at Wembley last year

Very clever. (Cancel that book order! :D). I said I 'wasn't sure'. Anyway, both clubs face much shorter journeys to Wembley (there are 19,000 rail seats available for Villa fans) and, with an over ten thousand average home attendance, I'd expect they'd sell out easily.

I drove past it on Wednesday. I say drove, it was more of a crawl through the usual heavy traffic, and was thinking about this. Yes, I’d have gone, I’m only about 5 miles away (and it’s still a shit journey) so I’d have felt obliged to. But my memories are two playoff defeats (3 if you count the old pissy stadium), one FA Cup defeat, falling asleep at and England friendly and watching them lose to Croatia and fuck up my holiday plans.

I’m very glad I’m not going on Monday.

Very clever. (Cancel that book order! :D). I said I 'wasn't sure'. Anyway, both clubs face much shorter journeys to Wembley (there are 19,000 rail seats available for Villa fans) and, with an over ten thousand average home attendance, I'd expect they'd sell out easily.
I know you did, I was just clarifying for ya. Nowt clever about it. I also wondered if losing in the final last year had had any effect on their ticket sales because it’s an interesting point - you know how losing feels but would you really want to stay away just in case *this* was finally the year?

Villa sold out their 36,200k allocation for the West end within days of them going on sale.

I was going pre booked a room weeks before end of season. Let Villa relatives have it.

Even though I've watched all the semi finals, and watch most football on TV, I wont be watching Monday - purposefully going out for the day. Already feels liberating strutting around knowing our season is over and we got the job done how we did.

Hope Derby go up (purely because I have a mate who supports them), but really I couldn't give a flying fuck .

Back
Top Bottom