Centre Back Situation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We need to try and bring another young CB in on loan. Doesn't have to be a RCB as I believe Bash and Stearman can play there. If we can loan someone who can play in all 3 CB positions, it would be a bonus.

I think it's ridiculous to suggest Leonard will play there, unless it's an emergency. Why sign a CM and then play him at CB?!
It’s not ridiculous at all. We have lots of central midfielders now, playing a 6 foot plus, athletic good header of the ball who likes bombing on at right centre half is not a stupid idea at all.

He’s versatile in the same way Basham is.

Maybe this was Chris’ plan all along, we’re going to have 5 midfielders on first team wages fighting for 2 positions when Coutts comes back... do you really think that will be the case? He’s not just been signed as a centre mid.

Leonard will definitely be able to play RCB. He started out as a RB and played CB for Southend a few times. He's decent on the ball, committed and a good athlete.

Not sure about 'instrumental' as such, he was in the team yes. But then again, whilst the Beatles were a great band, it doesn't make Ringo a good drummer...
I've heard than analogy before, and whilst he wasn't a technically gifted drummer ,his contribution makes the Beatles sound like the Beatles. Most drummers would play the songs pretty straight and they'd be quite different.

I'm summary, no, Ringo was not a good drummer. Hope that helps.....:eek:

I will donate £50 to charity if Leonard plays RCB.

We brought midfielders in to prevent having to play Basham in Midfield. Okay so lets now reverse it and play a midfielder in defence.

Square pegs in square holes please.

We brought midfielders in to prevent having to play Basham in Midfield. Okay so lets now reverse it and play a midfielder in defence.

He was played in CB role enough to play there and add quality that Basham doesn't, so I do think it's a squarish peg in a squarish hole. But I'd also donate £50 if Wilder decides to play him there. I think a wee shift information to a 4-2-3-1 is on the cards away from home (Holmes, Duffy and Brooks when fit as the three in behind.)

We brought Evans in to stop Basham playing in midfield.

I ask again, when Coutts is back fit we have 5 midfielders for 2 positions all on first team wages - is that realistic?

Leonard will play a lot at centre mid, a lot at RCB and probably even RWB. He’s a Basham upgrade.

I’ll raise you and give £100 to a charity of your choice if he DOESN’T feature at RCB this season.

Keep telling people Leonard is here for the right side centre half.

How do you know this?

People seem to be coming out with this like they know. No 'I reckon he could be decent as a centre half.' All 'He will play at centre half.'

How do you know this?

People seem to be coming out with this like they know. No 'I reckon he could be decent as a centre half.' All 'He will play at centre half.'

He played centre half / right back / sitting midfielder for Southend.

We have sent CCV back.

We have Coutts / Fleck / Lundstram / Evans fighting for the 2 places in the midfield.

CW has always said he wants completion for places. Leonard provides competition for Basham.

I’m not saying he won’t play centre midfield etc but I think his way into the side is there.

How do you know this?

He is here to fill a couple of positions imo. Midfield and as a stand in right center back. All seems quit straight forward to me.

If we have serious ambitions of finishing in the top six this season,we won't do it with Lundstrom and Basham, Wilder knows this and they will be the ones to make way for the inclusion of Leonard and Evans,we don't spend 750k on a player for them to sit on the bench !! The acquisition of Holmes will give better balance to the side and he may well end up being be the stand out player in the second part of the season,Wilder really rates him and I think he could make a real difference.

We do need to replace CCV it’s ok saying Leonard etc can play CH with positional sense and so forth , but when it comes to depending set pieces & corners we someone who can defend it & organise the people around them .
Last month or two the following have give us a few headaches
Smith ( QPR )
Jutkiewicz { Brum )
Duric ( Bristol C )
Madine ( Notlob )

I’m all for cultured football but you still have to do the basics & be able to defend properly

He played centre half / right back / sitting midfielder for Southend.

We have sent CCV back.

We have Coutts / Fleck / Lundstram / Evans fighting for the 2 places in the midfield.

CW has always said he wants completion for places. Leonard provides competition for Basham.

I’m not saying he won’t play centre midfield etc but I think his way into the side is there.

Coutts is out for the season in case you missed that part.

So we have 3 players according to you. Take an injury which is not unlikely and we're back to square one with just 2. Hence, Leonard is a midfielder brought in to play midfield.

Leonard may be emergency cover but he is certainly not competition for Basham.

Coutts is out for the season in case you missed that part.

So we have 3 players according to you. Take an injury which is not unlikely and we're back to square one with just 2. Hence, Leonard is a midfielder brought in to play midfield.

Leonard may be emergency cover but he is certainly not competition for Basham.

Let’s see.

Anybody saying Leonard's 'certainly this' or 'certainly not that'.... how many times have you seen him play?

How do you know this?

He has played there in the past, people are forgetting that.

Basham had played in the same positions as Leonard had before he came here, he too was signed as a centre mid.

Has anyone actually asked Wilder where he intends to play Leonard? If so, what did he say? If not, then you're guessing. And berating each other because of different guesses.

Leonard has played RWB, CB and CM. His usual position is CM. They are the facts. Everything else is just speculation.

Not sure about 'instrumental' as such, he was in the team yes. But then again, whilst the Beatles were a great band, it doesn't make Ringo a good drummer...

When asked if Ringo was "the best drummer in the world"John Lennon replied "he's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Paul McCartney always was a bit of a cunt.

Well would you look at that.

I’m sure he’ll be ok as an emergency right-centre-back.

We have to be careful that the fact he has played a position in the past doesn’t mean too much. Matt Done played as a left-back for years and was mostly awful when called upon to defend.

Similarly, Conor Sammon was a striker for many years and was mostly awful when called upon to be a striker.

You might regret that on Saturday :eek:

Seriously, we really need another CB as cover. Wright was apparently injured today so all we had defensively on the bench was Lafferty. Sure, Leonard may be able to cover for 20 minutes back there but do we really want to leave ourselves in a situation where he has to play there every week is JoC or Bash get injured?

Seriously, we really need another CB as cover. Wright was apparently injured today so all we had defensively on the bench was Lafferty. Sure, Leonard may be able to cover for 20 minutes back there but do we really want to leave ourselves in a situation where he has to play there every week is JoC or Bash get injured?

Agree. We are a couple of injuries away from seeing Wright trying to overlap Lafferty down the left hand side.

We ideally need a utility player who can play anywhere across the back.

The current squad is stronger but more unbalanced than before the transfer window opened.

Ideally, if we're loaning a player, we could do with someone who can play LCB or LB. Then, if we don't get injuries, we can at least bring him on for Enda, to give him a rest. No one is going to loan us a player just to sit on the bench.
We do look a bit light in defence, especially left side. We don't want to be in a situation where losing JOC damages as much as losing Coutts did.

I had a wry smile to myself when I saw Leonard & Basham on the teamsheet.

People that want Leonard at RCB are the same ones that want us to go 4231 and play Ched in the 10 role.

I had a wry smile to myself when I saw Leonard & Basham on the teamsheet.

People that want Leonard at RCB are the same ones that want us to go 4231 and play Ched in the 10 role.

Back
Top Bottom