Book Review: “Fit and Proper?” by Matthew Bell and Gary Armstrong

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Revolution

Reaction score
My Father had already read this book when he bought me a copy. He told me it was a “dreadful book”. Mindful of the fact that one of the co-authors is Gary Armstrong, I asked him whether he meant it was dreadfully written (I return to this point below). He said not. His point was that the book tells a dreadful story. He’s right.

The blurb on the back of the book says that it “details the history of the boardroom of Sheffield United Football Club, focusing particularly on the foibles of the men who over three decades from 1980 tried, and largely failed, to turn the “Blades” into a profitable business and successful club”, and it certainly does what it says on the tin.

The book follows a rough chronology – the first chapter gives a potted history of the way the club was run from its foundation to the arrival of Reg Brearley in 1980, and then we are taken through the Brearley years, the Sam Hashimi fiasco, Paul Woolhouse’s abortive takeover and Brearley’s return, the Mike McDonald and Carlo Colombotti chairmanships and through the McCabe years up to and including the appointment of Gary Speed - as my Dad says, it's a dreadful story. There are also breaks in the chronology as chapters are devoted to particularly, er, interesting characters whose doings before and after their association with the club merit a mention, like Stephen Hinchcliffe and Hashimi, but the narrative does not suffer from this. Indeed, it’s very well written and moves along at a good pace – like many good books you are surprised at how fast you are getting through it. Explanations of the complex areas of the story are well done – the section on the Tevez affair is particularly well done in this regard, and the verbal portraits of the men in charge (using their own words from media quotes) are very well drawn. The only thing missing from a structural perspective is an index, which would have been useful.

The readability of the book was in part a pleasant surprise to me because although there is no doubt that Gary Armstrong is a clever man and knows his subject matter (as does Matthew Bell, who is of course the editor of Flashing Blade), I have sometimes found his writing style difficult to get along with - "Blade Runners" was a disappointment to me from this perspective. This concern doesn't apply here. The first chapter's attempts to draw parallels between what was happening at the Lane and in wider society at the time doesn’t quite work in my eyes, but after that it is a page turner all the way.

I found it interesting that reading the book caused me to question my own views of the club’s history. By way of example, I am no fan of Steve Bruce and have always thought that his departure from the Lane was the merely the first of a few exits he has made just as the going gets tough. If the book is accurate, this is an unfair view of Bruce’s career at the Lane. He comes across as someone who takes a job on the basis of what turn out to be out and out lies regarding funding, and struggles on in difficult conditions for as long as anyone could be expected to. Reg Brearley has also perhaps been treated badly by history. Mention of his name brings to mind bad memories like the sale of Brian Deane, a 3 sided ground and squabbles with BIFA, but Bell and Armstrong remind us that Brearley did a lot of good work at the club in his earlier years, particularly in the period from 1981 to 1984, and there’s a good argument that he was the most innovative chairman we’ve ever had – Andy Daykin is quoted as saying that “with some ideas he was years ahead of his time”. It should also not be forgotten that Brearley was only involved between 1993 and 1995 because Paul Woolhouse (who vies with Stephen Hinchcliffe for the title of the most dishonest person featured in the book) failed to complete the purchase of his shareholding.

Bell and Armstrong refrain from voicing their own opinions on the events they are relating too strongly – the story is gripping enough without them needing to do so. This serves the topic well, because there is no “right way” to run a football club, and decisions that look sensible to one man might look absurd to another, look necessary to people with inside knowledge, or look different with the benefit of hindsight – the James Beattie transfer is a classic example of this. Indeed, the dispassionate look at Kevin McCabe’s reign, where the authors largely let the facts speak for themselves, is welcome as it’s something lacking from the vast majority of message board discussions on the topic. In some ways it’s a shame that the book is already out – I would have liked to have seen what Bell and Armstrong make of this season’s events.

In a short conclusion at the end of the last chapter the authors say that United’s bizarre recent history is down to chance and serendipity, and could have happened to any club. They add that if there a “United angle” it is a complacent boardroom that couldn’t see the way football was heading. The message I took away is a gloomy one. We hear a lot about the club having to live within its means, but the common thread running through the book is that except on the rare occasions when a manager produces a good side out of virtually nothing (Bassett, and to a lesser extent Warnock) you cannot succeed in the modern game without money. Brearley, McDonald and McCabe have all found out the hard way that cutting off funding and selling players to balance the books is a strategy that sends the club into a downward spiral. With odd exceptions, a well funded club will do well, and a poorly funded club will do badly. It really is that simple.

In summary, this book should be read by all Blades fans with even a passing interest in how the club is run or its recent history generally, and it deserves a wider audience than that. In fact, whilst pausing to acknowledge the fine work of Denis Clarebrough and Andrew Kirkham, “Fit and Proper?” is in my opinion the best book ever written about Sheffield United.

Excellent post Revolution. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm on Amazon now! I've posted before that I only have vague memories of what my hatred for Brearley was based on, hopefully this book will help to clear that up.

The book's and your conclusion seems inevitable following the explosion of player wages over the last 20 years and I don't think any football club can say they are financially stable which is a terrible state of affairs. Managers know this though and try influence the "luck" element in anyway they can. Let's hope a strong academy will start helping us be a bit more lucky!

Are they selling it in the Club Shop, and is McCabe doing Autographed copies ?

I read it just before christmas. I'd pretty much agree with everything revolution has written above. There are certainly some eye opening pieces inside, and as someone who did not experience the upheaval of the 1980's at Bramall Lane, it was gripping reading.

Where do we buy it from so that the authors get the biggest % of the price? Anyone know?

Matthew Bell will no doubt know the answer to that, and I think his email address is in the front of each edition of Flashing Blade if you want to contact him...

Yes it is a good book based on a club so turbulant that i doubt there's another club that has been through the mixer like ours. Sometimes United fans get slagged off but when you read the book you then realise that United fans are some of teh most loyal and passionate fans in the country. who else would put up with what we have, years of boardroom battles and failures, players sold, the team letting you down on the big occasion, everytime. Yes we are one of the best sets of fans around.
The one thing the book fell short in IMO is they had to hold some facts back, for legal reasons but that is understandable. Great read on the whole.

The one thing the book fell short in IMO is they had to hold some facts back, for legal reasons but that is understandable. Great read on the whole.

Care to elaborate on that, via PM so that Foxy and Linz don`t get sued??

... i doubt there's another club that has been through the mixer like ours. ...

We can't be far off certainly. Off the top of my head Swindon, Brighton, Birmingham, Man City (without the misery), Portsmouth and Wolves have all had an interesting / turbulent last 30-40 years. Brighton / Wolves have arguably been through worse, with Wolves coming out the better for it. Pompey started skint and mid-table in the 2nd division and have ended up there, Swindon gambled and nearly lost everything. Until the last couple of years Birmingham never looked like going anywhere. Man City have ended up back where they were at the start of the 70s - big club, big budget, but they've had an interesting ride along the way without plumbing the depths the rest of us did. Wolves went to hell and back.

We went to hell, nearly back, nearly back to hell, back, nearly back to nearly hell, to the wilderness, nearly back, back, nearly back and now nearly back to nearly hell. It's the hope that gets us rather than the depths we've sunk to.

Where do we buy it from so that the authors get the biggest % of the price? Anyone know?

I can probably get some direct from Matt if anyone's bothered :)

My copy is still sat on the shelf, having not had chance to start it yet.

We can't be far off certainly. Off the top of my head Swindon, Brighton, Birmingham, Man City (without the misery), Portsmouth and Wolves have all had an interesting / turbulent last 30-40 years. Brighton / Wolves have arguably been through worse, with Wolves coming out the better for it. Pompey started skint and mid-table in the 2nd division and have ended up there, Swindon gambled and nearly lost everything. Until the last couple of years Birmingham never looked like going anywhere. Man City have ended up back where they were at the start of the 70s - big club, big budget, but they've had an interesting ride along the way without plumbing the depths the rest of us did. Wolves went to hell and back.

We went to hell, nearly back, nearly back to hell, back, nearly back to nearly hell, to the wilderness, nearly back, back, nearly back and now nearly back to nearly hell. It's the hope that gets us rather than the depths we've sunk to.

I'd disagree that Man City have had it without the misery though. Okay, I agree that they have spent the majority of the past 30-40 years in the top division, however there was a season in Div Three plus seasons of mediocrity in Division Two. Also, for the past 20 years, they have had to watch Manchester United hoover up trophy after trophy after trophy.

Wolves though I agree hit the rock bottom. Consecutive relegations in 1984, 85 and 86, then losing the Division Four Play Off Final to Aldershot before making their ascent again. Plus getting two sides of Molineux condemned, gates slipping to less than 3000 and a 3-0 FA Cup home defeat by Chorley!!

The very clever Mr Armstrong isn't as smart as you think ,quite a few articles in his first book are complete bollocks. I know because we made them up and told him in a pub in Highbury after a hammering we received. For a couple of years he was thought of as a coppers nark ,one of Clouseau and Springetts informers and was fed loads of bullshit.

I would say this book is required reading for any Blades fan, there have been so many shambolic boardroom events at our club that even those of us that remember the eras covered in greatest detail (70s onwards) will have forgotten some of the detail (I certainly had) and this book was a great reminder of how it just seems to have been one disaster after another for us. McCabe seemed like a genuine departure from all of that but sadly its just the first chapter of the next book....

I do wonder who else, other than a Blades fan, or an absolute football anorack would be interested in reading it though which must have kept the sales fairly low !

When I was reading the book I think the thought that kept popping into my head was 'this is heartbreaking'. The number of times we've been sold down the river by successive boards it's a wonder we've got any fans left. When the clappers whine on about Blades fans moaning, point them in the direction of 'Fit & Proper' and expalin to them that fans who have supported the club through that have more than earned their grumble stripes.

Anguish apart 'Fit & Proper' is an excellent read, well worth £16 of any 'true' Blades money (sorry couldn't resist). I have to admit I don't know how Matt has managed to fit the time, effort and writing in. At times when he was writing 'Fit & Proper' he was doing the final proof on my book, an article each week about United for the Green 'Un, putting together Flashing Blade and I'm assuming doing a full time job. Fantastic dedication really.

As for Gary Armstrong's past United books I've always found them enjoyable reading, much easier to read than other academic's in the football field.

Back
Top Bottom