Blades 0 Leeds 1 - report and podcast

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast reaction

The Blades difficult start to the season continued as they lost again making it three straight defeats without even mustering a point and only one goal scored now in 540 minutes of football. Worryingly, the defensive solidity of last season seems to have gone with basic goals being conceded and that combined with the lack of goal threat at the other end suggests unless things improve in both areas of the field; United will be in a scrap nearer the bottom of the league. It may only be three games played but with Arsenal, City and Liverpool to play in 3 of the next 4; United fans will be wondering where the first point, let alone win is coming from. Today, United had chances but so did Leeds and it was a game that could have gone either way but a real moment of quality from Harrison on the left set up Bamford to lose his marker and nod him the winner at the death.

United have lost their opening three league matches of a season for only the third time, also doing so in 1966-67 and 1995-96 and have lost their past six league matches, their worst run since September 2013 (also six in a row).

Wilder was forced into two enforced changes with Egan suspended and Ampadu came in but O’Connell was also missing and not in the squad presumably injured with rumours circulating in the press it was a serious one that could keep him out for some time. Jack Robinson came in. John Fleck’s poor form dating back to the end of last season saw him dropped and Ben Osborn came in. McGoldrick and Burke started up top again and were hoping they would get more than 15 minutes to make an impact after McGoldrick had to be sacrificed in the week. It was a side that lacked key men from last year in Henderson, Egan, O’Connell, Fleck, Norwood and strikers Sharp, McBurnie and Mousset. The spine of the team was very different indeed.

Tyler Roberts replaced Rodrigo and only Koch of the new signings started with Bielsa going with the tried and trusted both from the start and largely on the bench too.

The game began with Leeds having the first attack on 2 minutes on a break with Harrison in lots of space but the ball was cleared. The first opportunity came soon after as Ayling was not closed down and had a shot from outside of the box pushed away from Ramsdale. United’s first chance came when McGoldrick got fouled but from the advantage, Lundstram found himself in on the angle but dragged his effort wide. United started to find their way back into the game and on 8 minutes Berge advanced but took too long to make a decision and the ball was cleared.

The next stage of the game from 10-20 minutes saw the game mired in a midfield battle with both teams trying to probe but little happening from either side in terms of creating chances. Both teams were feeling each other out somehow. A good move from the Blades came with Basham stepping forward and then Burke and Osborn involved but the former’s cross missed everyone and was cleared It had been the best move of the game from the home side and had been initiated by Ampadu and then latterly Basham coming out from the back.

Stevens lost the ball and this led to him bringing Costa down and the subsequent free kick from Phillips was really dangerous but Bamford headed over after getting between Ampadu and Robinson. Berge then gave it away before Harrison fed Klich whose shot looped over. The game was opening up more and on 28 minutes United should have scored. Neat build up saw Osborn put over a cross and McGoldrick flicked the ball back into the path of Lundstram who was right in front of goal but his effort was too close to Meslier who did make a fantastic save and pushed behind. It was a chance reminiscent 0f the goals Lundstram scored against Palace and Burnley last season but this time he could not apply the finish.

Leeds nearly made them pay as they broke quickly and as the cross came over Bamford again headed over, but once again had got the better of Ampadu aerially.

On 32 minutes, Basham was shoved over but the ref played on and then gave handball on Basham. The free kick drifted behind. At least the referee was consistent, as Burke muscled his man out of it and the game was allowed to play on again but Burke’s shot was blocked and then he could not make anything from the rebound.

At the other end, Leeds had a chance next as Basham took too many touches and the ball was quickly played forward, a one two ensued and Dallas hit a shot from range with the outside of his foot but it was well saved from Ramsdale springing to his right again.

The game continued to ebb and flow and the home team were the next to go close. Osborn played in Baldock who was well forward. He rolled his man and got in a powerful shot but Meslier did brilliantly with a strong hand to save high to his left-hand side. The corner saw Ampadu go down but it was not enough for a penalty and rightly so VAR did not even need to look at it for long.

A daft foul from Robinson on Costa saw another dangerous free kick opportunity for Phillips but this one was not as dangerous and went behind. Just before the break Burke ran through and showed his pace/running but came inside and tried to shoot rather than give it to the unmarked McGoldrick and the shot was blocked. United ended the half on the attack and Berge was more forceful this time in the speed of his run but the ball did not quite sit and the ref drew proceedings to a close.

Leeds made a change with Rodrigo on for the ineffective Roberts at the break. Leeds won an early corner and the ball came out to Costa who hit a shot that Ramsdale had to save low down. Leeds had been the better side to start this half and had forced United back but a break nearly saw Burke in but his back heel stopped the attack in his tracks. Robinson was penalised for a handball but Klich’s cross was well held by Ramsdale. Bamford had an effort that Ramsdale saved at his near post low down.

United finally came out and Basham was played in after a neat bit of work down the right but the ball was blocked as McGoldrick tried to get in. Lundstram was booked for a cynical foul as Leeds tried to get away. Another decent move from United saw Lundstram back heel and Stevens had a shot from outside the box saved low down.

On the hour mark Leeds had their best chance of the game so far. A ball forward was missed badly by Ampadu and Dallas was in and rounded Ramsdale but his finish into the empty net lacked power and Basham got back and defended, eventually after waiting to clear on his right foot as the ball trickled towards the goal!

Norwood came on for Lundstram before Rodrigo headed wide. Poveda replaced Costa for Leeds as both teams looked to find a winner. Baldock was then booked for a clean tackle on his man and was rightly enraged.

Berge then raced forward and drew two men on a great run and slipped in Osborn but his shot was blocked and then Leeds broke with Rodrigo having a shot saved from Ramsdale. Harrison’s cross just evaded the same man at the far post as both teams were going for the winner.

Sharp and McBurnie came on for Burke and McGoldrick and soon after good work from Berge saw the ball come in but would not sit right and was cleared. United won a corner after Sharp tried to get in but the ball was cleared.

Leeds were looking dangerous on the break and Ramsdale had to make a save from range from Poveda. Soon after the keeper did not need to knock the ball behind but conceded an unnecessary corner which fortunately came to nothing.

Berge was fortunate to get away without being penalised and this led to a shot blocked from Baldock that went behind. The corner came in and Robinson and McBurnie could not get enough on it and it came off Robinson who poked wide right in front of goal.

Leeds then had a break before United came back at them in a really good game which threatened to go either way with both teams looking dangerous.

United were the next to have a go and McBurnie played the ball back inside and Baldock kept going and caught the keeper as he went in on goal and caught him. He had to go for the ball but maybe on another day could have been booked but the ref felt it was inadvertent.

The game entered the final 5 minutes and Phillips was the next to have a go that was well saved but then United were in as Sharp had a shot blocked into the keepers hands after good work to bring the initial ball down.

With three minutes to go the vital break through came and it was a moment of quality from Leeds out wide. Berge lost the ball and did not react. Maybe it could have been a foul but he needs to be stronger in that situation. The cross from Harrison was superb and BAMFORD peeled off his men as he had all day and headed down and beyond Ramsdale into the corner. The keeper had no chance this time as Robinson was ball watching yet again. United’s players looked crestfallen after a much better performance but one where they had not taken the chances they had and once again conceded too many at the other end.

The game had an additional 5 minutes of stoppage time and Osborn got into the box but his cross was straight at the keeper. United could not fashion another chance and it was another defeat as the dreadful run continued for the Blades.

United – It seems to be all going wrong at the moment. The start of the season with results, injuries and suspensions has been a nightmare really. Today we were much better and definitely deserved a draw from the game but sadly we did not score again and did not keep a clean sheet again. Maybe we did not have much luck but you make your own luck. We still did not show the quality we needed in the final third to score although we did make chances today and another day, we score a few but then on another day they score a few also. It was a very open game with both teams going for it and a really good contest to watch. We were fully part of it but ultimately, we are not ruthless enough at either end. It is fine margins but unless we can put the ball in the next and keep it out at the other (copyright Adkins) then we are going to be in big trouble. We have had the fewest attempts on goal of any team and of course we are the only team not to score. We need to sign a striker but for me we need an attacking outlet in midfield (down the right-hand side) and creativity.

I felt much more positive on the whole and just felt get a point on the board and then we at least have a platform and a clean sheet but another sloppy goal is given away and we have lost again. The players had a winning mentality for the most part of four years but now we are are going the other way and it is a real concern. Nobody played brilliant – Ramsdale and Burke good and a few others decent but equally no one was awful but bad misses at one end (Lundstram) and errors marking (Robinson) at the other cost us a close but entertaining game that deserved more than one goal.

Today we actually had two or three great chances (Baldock was a good effort – other two missed) but Leeds had far more efforts on goal than us and may say they deserved it based on the amount of ball and chances they had for an away side. Bielsa said they deserved the win. Not sure I agree. A draw was a fair result for me definitely but maybe should have been 2-2 rather than 0-0 it looked being till the late winner. We had the more clear cut chances. They had more efforts on goal but a lot were long range but the big chances were maybe 2-2. The two for us in the first half and then the two for them one a goal and the one with Dallas) so not sure it was quite as simple as us just having the big misses. Both teams had numerous efforts. The difference is Lundstram missed a big one when they took their chance which was not as easy to score really.

We still do not shoot enough. Leeds had 7 or 8 efforts on goal. Outside of the Baldock one and Stevens shot - their keeper had a largely untroubled game after the big Lundstram miss. Second haf we did not have any real chances outside of the Robinson one from the corner. We dilly and dally and the final ball lets be honest is appalling. That allied with us never shooting means we are not going to score many goals. Not sure bringing in a striker changes that much unless it's Messi!

I worried when the teams came out as I alluded to above – and even though O’Connell and Egan not been at their best they are key men. Fleck’s going out was not a surprise in isolation but not sure I would have taken him out after the O’Connell new. Osborn did ok and think all the midfield three were ok. I felt Burke and McGoldrick did ok and the defence was decent but we still let them have too many efforts and it was open. We have now conceded three headed goals and these are not wonder goals. Ampadu and Robinson had lost Bamford all game and that happened again today. He could have scored a few before he finally did net. It had been coming. At the end you sensed of course it would be one goal that would decide it and so it proved. I always felt they had more quality in the final third though and that was the case with a superb cross. We had the ball in good areas again but not sure we did enough with it again.

General play we were ok and there were some nice moves but we second half not sure we created enough and I felt Leeds looked more likely as the game went on and used pace/movement on the break to look dangerous. I just senses they looked like opening us up more than we did the other way but it really could have gone either way. Not sure I agree that we looked more dangerous after the Sharp/McGoldrick changes. I thought this might have slowed us down actually but we still had opening as did they. It was a crushing blow but they had put better crosses in all game (Bamford missed a few headers) and we ultimately put poor crosses in again. One moment of quality and it’s in our net again. We could not come back from that and we now sit here bottom of the league with no goals and it has not been that hard a start in terms of games we have faced. We now play some of the better teams. It is looking very worrying.

The O’Connell injury is also huge. We now have a serious downgrade in two positions, with Henderson and him not being here and this means inevitably it is going to be very hard, if not impossible to be as tight defensively and thus puts further pressure on the strikers. I never thought Jack was fully right last season at the end and that continued this year. He just seemed to lack some spring/dynamism. Robinson is decent as a fill in but is a Championship defender and not someone we can count on for 40 games here. We need to now sign a left sided centre back too as well as a striker unless he plays Ampadu there. I like Robinson and I like Osborn but they are Championship players for the most part. I might get criticised for this. We have gone from a nice solid spine to now Norwood being out of the picture as a starter and Egan/O’Connell not featuring. Maybe he plays Stevens left centre back and a chance for Lowe? It’s more holes to fill sadly.

Arsenal next which is going to be hard to get anything and thus there is a strong chance we will go into the break rock bottom with 0 points and then the games get really hard! Of course, we need a striker but the team generally has not hit the standards up to Xmas for a long time now (we scrapped a number of results Jan-March) and the lung bursting wing backs/overlapping centre backs we have not seen and our approach is more pragmatic (negative?). We did play some better stuff today but Leeds actually looked as, if not, more enterprising going forward and sliced through us more than we did the same.

It is undoubtedly going to be a struggle this year. It would take something miraculous for us to get going like last season and if we were offered 4th bottom, we would all take it. With no goals and a key injury and players off form, we are looking at new players but it seems we cannot get them without the funds maybe to improve the squad as much as Wilder wants. It is going to be a really tough October. People may say the pressure is off with tough games but in reality, it ramps up further on the team every game that goes on without a point or even a goal. It is a big test for the group to respond.

Last edited:

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – Two good saves you would expect him to make first half but decent all the same. He at leas pushed these away and showed better spring. He made another second half low down. Then another couple you would expect to save also. His handling was good too. He was very slow out to come for through balls though and a number of times I shouted keeper and he eventually came but needs to be more alert. Put one cross behind under no pressure but other than a bit of hesitancy he was good today and maybe our best player – most of the save you would expect him to make but he had to make them – had way too much to do for a home keeper.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Thought Harrison gave him a really tough game and that defensively he was really given a tough game. A lot of Leeds attacks went down the right-hand side and he was not given much help from Lundstram either. He did improve and started to come the other way and had a good effort of course well saved. Got booked harshly and then I had my heart in my mouth when he caught the keeper (he needed to do more with this chance). At the end he gave Harrison way too much time and the cross led to the goal.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Thought at times he was more like his old self with some good runs forward but he also was slow to react to things defensively and gave away silly free kicks too much. He will not use his right foot at all. Three times in the first half he just waited and waited when he could have cleared. Got caught between him and Robinson for the goal but not sure he can be blamed. Another he seems to lack the aggression and pace/running we saw last season but today at least was a step in the right direction.

Basham 7/10 – Ok and a few good runs forward. Set up a chance in the first half but then he seemed to not go forward as much as the game went on. Lost it a few times in key areas but always gets back in and made some good recovery tackles too. He had one run and cross second half but they kind of pinned him back as they were such a threat on the break of course and coming the other way with pace and running.

Robinson 6/10 – Did ok in general play but he gave away too many daft fouls and lost his man a few times and, on the goal, crucially he was not switched on at all. He also missed a good chance at the other end although it maybe just hit him. He is steady but he is a huge downgrade from O’Connell as he lacks the aggression and forward play also. I would be concerned he was playing regularly at this level. The big moment when he needed to defend and he did not do it. May seem harsh but that mistake cost us the game.

Ampadu 6.5/10 – Up and down. Some good things on the ball where he came out with the ball but not sure he is a centre back – he might be better in midfield really. He showed he switches off too much and lost his man a few times. He needs to switch on more. I thought he was nice and composed on the ball though and technically he is decent. He also is a good athlete and quite quick. Definitely a player in there but may be more suited to playing further up the field. Learning on the job at the top level as a centre back worries me.

Osborn 6.5/10 – Started the game badly but then got better as it went on and I thought it was a bit mixed. Some decent bits of play and never hid but also gave it away a few times or got outmuscled a few times. His final ball was good for the Lundstram chance but then he put in some poor crosses too when well placed. Decent player but we really need Fleck back to his best but no problems with him been given a chance today. He is a lad who gives his all and is technically quite good actually and showed that with some of his passes/crosses. He won’t run away from too many people though or be much of a goal threat.

Lundstram 6/10 - Better than the other night and neat and tidy early on and involved in some ok moves and had the one decent effort just wide and then really had to score. He is a good finisher and I would have backed him to net here. After this he seemed to regress. Got another booking and the game became a bit ragged and he was not influential as they took control of midfield for a spell. Could see why he came off. Has to score the chance he had and that is twice he has missed from big positions when he scores these two our season could be different.

Berge 6/10 – Not enough for me. He had two good runs and one where he ran out of the half and committed men and surged forward and led to a chance for Osborn. Did this again but took too long but large part of the game I forgot he was playing and for the deepest midfielder I also thought they had a lot of chances and got through us and were 3 on 3 a lot too. He has to be more forceful and more assertive with it and impose himself more. On the winner, maybe he got fouled but it was a bit soft and he needs to be stronger. He also needs to get back and get in the game after he loses it but just kind of jogged back. I was infuriated by his reaction to the tackle more than any foul there may have been. He needed to be more aggressive and then run back and affect the danger. He did neither. There is so much potential but he is a bit infuriating when we can see what he can do.

McGoldrick 6/10 – Started the game ok and was involved early on with neat flicks and build up and nearly assisted to Lundstram but then I felt he faded badly and 2nd half he was not involved at all. When he had it, he took too long to do things. I am not sure he is influencing games anywhere near enough like he used to and Chelsea apart I do feel that his influence has started too decline. I still feel we need two new strikers with pace and power. We do not see enough of the ball in the middle or up top for him to be as effective anymore and as much as I love him, starting to see why he has played most of his career at Championship level (and that is when he was younger) as he lacks pace and scoring threat at the very top level – I may get panned for this. I thought him and Burke did ok but neither have looked like scoring so far this season. Maybe it is creativity but sometimes strikers have to create something out of nothing too.

Burke 7/10 – Decent again and our best attacker. Got in good areas and showed his pace and running. A few times he got behind the and led to half chances. He maybe made poor decisions when he got in a few times but at least he got there and got them running towards their own goal. I would have left him on and felt we looked less threatening after the changes. He is now our best attacker which is a credit to him but a slight on what we have at the club in this area.

Subs –

Norwood – Thought he did ok when he came on and was neat and tidy but not sure he is right hand side and not sure he was going to change the flow of the game. Suppose he was trying to ensure we kept it better but its kind of become a bit like basketball (not his fault and he could not get on it).

Sharp - Showed yet again he is not quick or mobile enough at this level. He gives it away too much and not sure he is much of a goal threat. Had one good chance but took too long and it was blocked. He had brought this down really well but he takes too long to do things.

McBurnie – Slows things down for me like Sharp. He hustles and bustles but lacks quality. The fact he is now not starting is a concern for us as he was meant to be the main man but started the season poorly and then taken out of the team. Should do better with the headed chance and was a bit meek and needs to power those in. For all those saying he does well in the air, not sure we have seen much of him aerially to worry teams like we did when he started with a great goal v Leicester (outside of Chelsea goal).

Manager Wilder 6/10 – Changed the team and the players that came in did ok, not amazing but did ok but we once again were found lacking at the key areas. We were also quite open I felt which led to chances to us and chances to them. At the moment he is on his worst run as a United manager and we will wonder where the next point is coming from. Not liking he is throwing in excuses too much at the moment. To be fair he did say it is about taking chances and we are not doing that. He summed it up that we are not good enough at the two key ends. He seems a bit stuck for ideas at the moment. He has changed the personnel today and we still lost and seems to be crying out for help but it is concerning that he has spent close to 50 million on Freeman, McBurnie, Robinson, Lowe and Bogle and none are starting and two have left the club. Berge has done ok but most of the signings we have made have not made the impact the board would have hoped (the two Derby lads albeit newcomers of course but not starting). Maybe they are concerned that giving him another 20 million for the Arsneal lad or Brewster may be a financial outlay too much – granted if we don’t sign a striker we could go down of course – it is a quandary but for all those saying they have to give him money or he can’t move us forward it’s not like he has had not had any – as I say 50 million alone which is as much as half a dozen have spent maybe more at this level in the last 12 months.

However, the likes of Newcastle and Villa have spent big money on a striker and the likes of Wilson is scoring goals to net them points. The positive is he could lose 10 games and no one would question his position. His stock last season was super high but now no clubs would be looking at him either! So, it’s not all bad!

Leeds – Been a very good start with an honourable defeat at the champions and now two straight wins against teams they would want to finish above of course. Today they kept a clean sheet but had the keeper to thank. They showed their attacking threat getting forward and throwing bodies forward. They have created tons of chances at both Anfield and here and do have an adventurous approach. People may say the praise is nauseating but they deserve it. We got lots of praise last season for an attacking approach and they are doing the same. They did not sit back at all today and went for it. They could have scored 2 or 3 but could have conceded 2 or 3. They found the quality at the two ends with the keeper and then the cross and header. Fair play to them. Not sure they were any better than us but they won’t care. It was another decent performance and for an away side quite cavalier and entertaining yet they kept a clean sheet so will be delighted.

I actually like Bielsa. Clearly a character and a manager who has had a lot of success all over. He has never stayed at a club for a long time though and wonder if say in a season whether players may start to tune out to his methods. Suppose we have done well with Wilder for so long song but it is so intense how Bielsa expects them to play and will be interesting if they ca maintain it long term. I think they will stay up no problems and may finish just below mid-way I think as like us last year, the energy, enthusiasm, pressing and the way they are attacking teams will see them get results. They will score more than we did last season but concede a lot more. Personnel wise though I look at them and not sure they are much better than us really even individually. They have some flair though in Costa, Hernandez and Harrison where they can make things happen. Maybe that is why they are better than us. Defensively though even with additions not sure that I would swap many individually or collectively.

Opponent Man of the Match – Toss up between the keeper and Harrison. The keeper made 2 great saves but had little to do outside of this but they were fantastic saves. Harrison was excellent. Always a threat and then made the goal. Bamford may be criticised a lot but had managed to keep his place and sadly is better than any of our forwards probably. Phillips is a decent, mobile midfielder who played more at the back today but showed his athleticism and his good delivery from set plays too. Leeds have a lot of honest club man types like Ayling, Cooper and Dallas who are much like the likes of Stevens, Basham etc.

Opponent Weak link – Roberts was really poor and rightly taken off. Not sure Rodrigo was much better and he was sacrificed at the end too which is always embarrassing whatever the circumstances. Cooper I think can be got at and Burke caused him a few issues but generally I felt they defended ok and only once or twice did we get properly behind them.

Referee/Officials/VAR – I thought Tierney was poor. He let some things go that seemed fouls (Basham pushed and then Ayling the same straight after) and then little stuff he penalised. The Baldock booking was plain wrong. I half expected him to give him a second yellow for the foul on the keeper. The Berge one could have been a foul but they seem to be letting things go now unless they are really clear and obvious fouls and the fact it was a body of legs and a lot happened after this meant VAR did not even seem to look at it. I think if they had disallowed that against us for such an offence, I would not have been happy and if the ref decides its not a foul and the contact was minimal no major issues with this. We can’t have it both ways as we want refs to decide games and at the time, I never thought it was a foul. Wilder says it was. You could argue it but I think also that a lot happened after this.

Going back to Tierney, I just thought for a good game and not that many bad tackles, I noticed the ref way too much. He is someone that seems to want to be noticed way too much.

Genuinely thought McGoldrick had a very bad game. I think Burke will come good though.

I'm slightly more generous and slightly more harsh than you!

There's simply not enough there. It was a fairly even game in terms of chances but Leeds always looked a little more in control. Our performance was much better and yet we still look to struggle for extended periods against a newly promoted side. They will do what we did last season. They have a great manager, that application we have but also players with pace and creativity.

Their new keeper is sadly excellent.

We looked good at times but slow and a bit too ponderous at others. There was a lot of workrate out there without really creating that many clear chances. We defended well but as the game went on you could see the players tiring. Too many little mistakes and eventually Berge's led to their goal. I fear for us a bit with JoC out. Robinson does ok in a lot of things but he's always slightly too slow. A little be off the pace. Looks like an accident waiting to happen when he gets tired. His miss led to that chance Bash cleared off the line. We look competitive without being that creative.

Burke and McGoldrick cannot be the answer to our goals problem. One of them needs to play with an out and out striker.

Desperately need a striker and an attack-minded midfielder. Otherwise, it's whether there are three worse teams than us (there might be).

Ramsdale MOM for me.

Ramsdale 8 - Some great saves one really excellent punch. It's not just about making the save it's also where he directed the ball. Best game for us by a mile. His distribution was poorer than it has been.

Stevens 7 - Thought he was our poorest player first half but improved a lot and had a lot to do with their sib coming on and looked for too cute for him. Not a lot going forward but difficult in a changed left-hand side. That side is our biggest problem.

Robinson 6 - He played really we and made some really timely blocks but as games go on he loses concentration badly when he begins to tire. He made a succession of mistakes second half. He's good cover at this level but I worry a lot if he's playing there for the full season with JoC out. Not Wilder's fault he may have to do that but this is why we needed to improve the squad and not just the first team. I can see Enda playing there instead.

Ampadu 7 - Did well on his full league debut. For such a young lad he oozes confidence. Seems to have fitted into the system well. I'm not sure about his Hollywood passes though...

Bash - 7 Steady and solid. Still poses arguably one of our greatest threats going forward

Baldock - 8 Our best outfield player. He was out greatest threat. Booked ridiculously for a really good challenge then got away with a bad one (which he pulled out of but that was a booking for me) with their keeper. Prepared to run at the opposition and cut inside and have a go.

Osborn 7 - Made a few errors but always running around and providing support. He's an odd player as he always seems to be supporting and never really taking charge himself. Much better energy levels than Fleck. Deserves to stay in the team, for me.

Berge 7 - Was our best midfield but looked absolutely shattered at the end and loses a point for losing the ball for their goal. Started to make mistake after mistake but on another day should have been pulled off. For who, I don't know.

Lunny 6.5 - Had our best chance which produced a worldly save. But a couple of excellent balls in but we had no out and out striker on the pitch to attack them. Looked a bit slow at times but as at many times last season our best play comes when he's involved.

Burke 6 - Covers so much ground and has the pace we badly need. He also has a directness that we're lacking within the squad. However, clearly not that comfortable as a striker and just that little bit away from being in the right place. That should improve with match sharpness but he's not the answer to our goalscoring problems, for me. He needs a bit of luck/confidence as well.

McGoldrick 5.5 - He does ok but not up to the high standards he set himself last season. Nothing much worked for him today, but like Burke he needs a goalscorer next to him.

Norwood 4 - Looked fairly atrocious when he came on. Not easy to come on in this kind of game and get up to speed but ranged from anonymous to slow and sloppy. We looked worse with him on.

Sharp 5.5- Does the running and hold-up play pretty well, albeit always seemingly on the verge of losing it. Gets in good position but doesn't make the most of them. Looks that yard too slow when the ball's at his feet.

McBurnie 5.5 - Didn't really have much to work with and whilst he was ok I'm not confident of him getting close when he has the ball at his feet.

Wilder - 6 - Difficult to know what more he could have done. I feel you can't play McBurnie and Sharp or Burke and McGoldrick as partnerships but that's exactly what he's done all season so far. We're on a dire losing run and have looked off it since the end of lockdown. He could really use some luck right now as we look a little out of ideas.

McBurnie – Slows things down for me like Sharp. He hustles and bustles but lacks quality. The fact he is now not starting is a concern for us as he was meant to be the main man but started the season poorly and then taken out of the team. Should do better with the headed chance and was a bit meek and needs to power those in. For all those saying he does well in the air, not sure we have seen much of him aerially to worry teams like we did when he started with a great goal v Leicester (outside of Chelsea goal).

For me, we seems to do the bare minimum far too often. McGoldrick challenges for just about every header, even though he's unlikely to win them. McBurnie seem to make minimal effort most of the time. He need to be much stronger and much more competitive in the air.

That Berge rating is just wild. He was strong, good with the ball and drove us forward plenty of times from deep. I think at the end he was just fucked basically, and they still had to foul him to get the ball.

He made one great tun that led to the Osborn chance. He another 2 runs where he ran with it but took forever to make a decision and they got back. Apart from that not sure he influened the game. For the pivot in midfied they had at least 8 or 9 unopposed shots on goal from the edge of the box and felt once again the defence was left badly exposed much of the game and we looked a bit open. I think he has fantastic potential but is playing within himself. That one run showed what he can do. His dithering at the end, foul or no foul cost us the game too.

What did he actually do in terms of creating any clear chances, shots on goal or protecting the defence? He was ok but nothing more and did not influence the game enough.

There's simply not enough there. It was a fairly even game in terms of chances but Leeds always looked a little more in control. Our performance was much better and yet we still look to struggle for extended periods against a newly promoted side. They will do what we did last season. They have a great manager, that application we have but also players with pace and creativity.

We looked good at times but slow and a bit too ponderous at others. There was a lot of workrate out there without really creating that many clear chances. We defended well but as the game went on you could see the players tiring. Too many little mistakes and eventually Berge's led to their goal. I fear for us a bit with JoC out. Robinson does ok in a lot of things but he's always slightly too slow. A little be off the pace. Looks like an accident waiting to happen when he gets tired. His miss led to that chance Bash cleared off the line. We look competitive without being that creative.

Burke and McGoldrick cannot be the answer to our goals problem. One of them needs to play with an out and out striker.

Desperately need a striker and an attack-minded midfielder. Otherwise, it's whether there are three worse teams than us (there might be).

Ramsdale MOM for me.

Ramsdale 8 - Some great saves one really excellent punch. It's not just about making the save it's also where he directed the ball. Best game for us by a mile. His distribution was poorer than it has been.

Stevens 7 - Thought he was our poorest player first half but improved a lot and had a lot to do with their sib coming on and looked for too cute for him. Not a lot going forward but difficult in a changed left-hand side. That side is our biggest problem.

Robinson 6 - He played really we and made some really timely blocks but as games go on he loses concentration badly when he begins to tire. He made a succession of mistakes second half. He's good cover at this level but I worry a lot if he's playing there for the full season with JoC out. Not Wilder's fault he may have to do that but this is why we needed to improve the squad and not just the first team. I can see Enda playing there instead.

Ampadu 7 - Did well on his full league debut. For such a young lad he oozes confidence. Seems to have fitted into the system well. I'm not sure about his Hollywood passes though...

Bash - 7 Steady and solid. Still poses arguably one of our greatest threats going forward

Baldock - 8 Our best outfield player. He was out greatest threat. Booked ridiculously for a really good challenge then got away with a bad one (which he pulled out of but that was a booking for me) with their keeper. Prepared to run at the opposition and cut inside and have a go.

Osborn 7 - Made a few errors but always running around and providing support. He's an odd player as he always seems to be supporting and never really taking charge himself. Much better energy levels than Fleck. Deserves to stay in the team, for me.

Berge 7 - Was our best midfield but looked absolutely shattered at the end and loses a point for losing the ball for their goal. Started to make mistake after mistake but on another day should have been pulled off. For who, I don't know.

Lunny 6.5 - Had our best chance which produced a worldly save. But a couple of excellent balls in but we had no out and out striker on the pitch to attack them. Looked a bit slow at times but as at many times last season our best play comes when he's involved.

Burke 6 - Covers so much ground and has the pace we badly need. He also has a directness that we're lacking within the squad. However, clearly not that comfortable as a striker and just that little bit away from being in the right place. That should improve with match sharpness but he's not the answer to our goalscoring problems, for me. He needs a bit of luck/confidence as well.

McGoldrick 5.5 - He does ok but not up to the high standards he set himself last season. Nothing much worked for him today, but like Burke he needs a goalscorer next to him.

Norwood 4 - Looked fairly atrocious when he came on. Not easy to come on in this kind of game and get up to speed but ranged from anonymous to slow and sloppy. We looked worse with him on.

Sharp 5.5- Does the running and hold-up play pretty well, albeit always seemingly on the verge of losing it. Gets in good position but doesn't make the most of them. Looks that yard too slow when the ball's at his feet.

McBurnie 5.5 - Didn't really have much to work with and whilst he was ok I'm not confident of him getting close when he has the ball at his feet.

Wilder - 6 - Difficult to know what more he could have done. I feel you can't play McBurnie and Sharp or Burke and McGoldrick as partnerships but that's exactly what he's done all season so far. We're on a dire losing run and have looked off it since the end of lockdown. He could really use some luck right now as we look a little out of ideas.

Interesting. Thought Harrison was Leeds best outfield player and Baldock never got close enough or to grips with him all game. Attacking wise he got in great positions but never delivered once again. Think both wing backs have had a poor start to the season defensively and more so attacking wise.

Berge is a better player than Osborn
Berge played better first half than Osborn
Berge tired badly, gave the ball away a few time in our own half, including the move which led to their goal. He cost us 2 points.

Interesting. Thought Harrison was Leeds best outfield player and Baldock never got close enough or to grips with him all game. Attacking wise he got in great positions but never delivered once again. Think both wing backs have had a poor start to the season defensively and more so attacking wise.

I agree Harrison did really well for them and caused problems on both sides as they kept interchanging.
I thought Baldock generally managed him and made some really important blocks whilst also getting forward and having two of our better chances. He also has to cover for Bash when he bombs forward.

Stevens, although he was too slow on the ball a couple of times, was pretty decent in defence but didn't really get forward at all.

Berge tired badly, gave the ball away a few time in our own half, including the move which led to their goal. He cost us 2 points.

Proper harsh. There was quite a bit of play before they scored. Bamford getting between our defenders, Baldock not getting close to harrison for the cross, Bash not winning the tackle before. He hardly put them through on goal. Though ideally he doesn't get fouled twice I agree.

Total bullshit.

You mean the incident when he was fouled? And then obviously it was his fault the the right hand side of our defence gave Harrison 20 yards space to pick his cross out, and of course it was Berges fault for the centre halves not picking up the cheat who scored them the winner.

Cost us 2 points.... I've read some shite on here over the years.

Spot on DB about the concern for a JOC replacement. We need one in simple as. Three of the four goals conceded have come from headers down the left of the defence. Robinson and Stevens are not good in the air. It is a weakness that will cost us if not addressed

Can't agree with you about Norwood thought they came through us more when he came on the pitch. Harsh marking on Berge one point higher for me. I agree his defensive duties were lacking at times but the simple fact is we got the ball forward much quicker with him playing the pivot role and on many occasion he got round the Weeds press with his skill and moved us up the field quicker. Thought he was fouled leading up to the goal but Tierney gave us nothing all game as per usual.

Last season our strength was down the left with Stevens, JOC and Fleck excelling. JOC out or the season, Stevens struggling for form and Fleck not even in the team at the moment. Agree we need a flying Fleck back asap. You can not doubt Osborns effort but he does not possess Flecks ability to go round players.

That was the best we've played this season and we deserved something from the game. Next week off the field will be critical forward and LCB needed IMO.

Ramsdale MOM for me.

Baldock 8? Going forward very good agreed, but Harrison tore him a new one defensively.

Love your reports but you do seem to have it in for Berge slightly! He was a driving force today in midfield I thought he was excellent! It’s all ability opinions though!

He was ok but not sure he ran the game like many are saying. Leeds came through our midfield a lot and I felt we never had total control. I recall one excellent driving run and a few other ok moments but he took way too long when he got into good areas and allowed them to come back. He shows lots of promise but their is little end product really. As for the foul at the end - maybe it was but he has has to be stronger. Twice he had opportnity to move it on and also aftter he lost it his jogging back cost us as they had a man over and Baldock had to go across and left space for Harrison Webding called it on the pod. I did not like his reaction after the tackle.

I think he has fantastic potential but he is not really influencing games enough for me. We have not control of any game so far in midfield and they had 64% possession as an an away side. We have ceded possession to every team we have faced this season. For someone who is clearly talented he needs to dictate games more not the odd passage where he shows his undoubted class. If he/we had the control of the ball in midfield others have said, then Leeds would not have come through us time after time (we were so open for a home side - so were they by the way) and had countless shots. Ramsdale had to make 7 or 8 saves from shots from midfielders. It was not just Berge of course but we did not press/close down enough and going the other way how many shots did our midfield have or chances did they create - save the Osborn one for Lunny?

How Burke, who didn't have a bad game I should say, gets a higher rating than Berge is beyond me. He was our best player by miles. Played like a proper midfielder. In the role of Norwood but offered so much more going forward,driving into space with the ball. Same as Ampadu. Used to seeing Bash and JOC going forward but he offered something different when Leeds closed the space. Confident to move up the pitch with the ball and get us on the front foot

So many people saying 'I don't know where
the next point is coming from'. Conveniently forgetting that we play Fulham (after Arsenal) where I fully expect us to win comfortably.

He was ok but not sure he ran the game like many are saying. Leeds came through our midfield a lot and I felt we never had total control. I recall one excellent driving run and a few other ok moments but he took way too long when he got into good areas and allowed them to come back. He shows lots of promise but their is little end product really. As for the foul at the end - maybe it was but he has has to be stronger. Twice he had opportnity to move it on and also aftter he lost it his jogging back cost us as they had a man over and Baldock had to go across and left space for Harrison Webding called it on the pod. I did not like his reaction after the tackle.

I think he has fantastic potential but he is not really influencing games enough for me. We have not control of any game so far in midfield and they had 64% possession as an an away side. We have ceded possession to every team we have faced this season. For someone who is clearly talented he needs to dictate games more not the odd passage where he shows his undoubted class. If he/we had the control of the ball in midfield others have said, then Leeds would not have come through us time after time (we were so open for a home side - so were they by the way) and had countless shots. Ramsdale had to make 7 or 8 saves from shots from midfielders. It was not just Berge of course but we did not press/close down enough and going the other way how many shots did our midfield have or chances did they create - save the Osborn one for Lunny?

Casing point for the midfield lack of control at any point in the game - 570 passes to 325 is a huge disparity for a home team. I think Berge, Osborn and Lundstram were all ok. Not sure any of them were outstanding though as they did not see enough of the ball or do enough with it. It was all a bit basketball and whilst that is good to watch our attack is not going to outscore teams. They had more shots and more on target. A draw was a fair result to the naked eye but Bielsa and Leeds fans will point to that below also.

One big chance either side - Dallas and Lundstram. Their keeper made two great saves. Ours made maybe 4 or 5 expected and 1 good one.

1601222464461.png

Thanks for the report Deadbat .
It's been a pretty painful start to the season and looking at the fixtures, it could get a lot worse! Nevertheless, I'm still confident we'll be ok.
Just on Berge, it's quite clear he's a good footballer, he's strong and difficult to knock off the ball and he's deceptively quick with his long stride, however he just looks so languid. I feel as though he could glide past 3 or 4 players and smash it in the net if he wanted to but tends to beat one man with ease and then play it square. Some of his passing is too lax too. You feel there's a really top class player there, he just maybe needs to assert himself more.

Very worrying news on JOC - that concerns me more than getting a new striker.

These reports are getting boring now same old faces get criticised and low marked. You say in the report Ramsdale is a downgrade on Henderson but then mark him 7.5 just get over it Henderson has gone to Man Utd get behind OUR goalkeeper who had a good game today. Berge best midfielder on the pitch today 6/10 really? McBurnie comes on and at last the Leeds centre backs have something to worry about what exactly did he do wrong today? Is it just the old Bladey bladey nonsense that because we are reported to have spent more than £18m on each one of them that you have to pull them to pieces constantly, the old scapegoat thing that so many Blades fan just love to do?
Apart from Robinson losing his man we were as good as high spending Leeds today, fine margins and all that. A fucking rubbish report you clearly have your favourites and it is getting tedious that it is starting to show in every report.

Unless there is some truly impressive transfer business done in the next few days, we are going to be relegated, and probably by some distance.

Unless there is some truly impressive transfer business done in the next few days, we are going to be relegated, and probably by some distance.

If we sort out the forward line then I think we will be fine this season. Another LCB for insurance would be nice though.

These reports are getting boring now same old faces get criticised and low marked. You say in the report Ramsdale is a downgrade on Henderson but then mark him 7.5 just get over it Henderson has gone to Man Utd get behind OUR goalkeeper who had a good game today. Berge best midfielder on the pitch today 6/10 really? McBurnie comes on and at last the Leeds centre backs have something to worry about what exactly did he do wrong today? Is it just the old Bladey bladey nonsense that because we are reported to have spent more than £18m on each one of them that you have to pull them to pieces constantly, the old scapegoat thing that so many Blades fan just love to do?
Apart from Robinson losing his man we were as good as high spending Leeds today, fine margins and all that. A fucking rubbish report you clearly have your favourites and it is getting tedious that it is starting to show in every report.

Ramsdale is a downgrade on Henderson but played well today. I can say both?

I have given my reasons for my Berge score and showed the possession stats and several other reasons why. As for McBurnie I expected him to score the great headed chance. I also feel he slows our play down. I said why. Wilder clearly agrees he is not doing enough or he would be starting.

You don't agree that is fine. Why start swearing and getting personal? I don't expect every one to agree and they are here to stimulate discussion. If they irritate you that much don't read em.

Berge was really good, surprised you think otherwise. Second best player on the pitch behind Harrison today.

He did some good things but the final bit is lacking and for all the nice body swerves and touches, I want more impact to influence things whether it be a chance made, a cross to a chance or a shot on goal. I am not sure he did anything other than one run that led to Osborn having a shot where I was really thinking that's brilliant. He was ok but messed up on the goal overplaying too much and it cost us.

Back
Top Bottom