Avoiding relegation next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
So, now it seems we don’t have resources to add to our attacking threat. We’ve been warned that we won’t see any big signings this window. We don’t have a goalkeeper – oh, sorry we do have Wes Foderingham and some Belgian enigma. Couple of the starting eleven may leave or need to be sold. Second season -syndrome seems to be at least partially confirmed as being true. Teams coming up from the Championship will be stronger than the ones that got relegated.

So, is it ’wrist slashing’ to think that we have a hell of a task ahead of us just trying to avoid relegation next season? Which teams could we better?

Personally, I’m seriusly concerned.

Anyways, I know anything like this is not supposed to be posted on here, so come on you happy-clappers! Destroy me and my points.

(Btw. I’m also a ’happy-clapper’ - but that is for wrist slashing only! :p)

So, now it seems we don’t have resources to add to our attacking threat. We’ve been warned that we won’t see any big signings this window. We don’t have a goalkeeper – oh, sorry we do have Wes Foderingham and some Belgian enigma. Couple of the starting eleven may leave or need to be sold. Second season -syndrome seems to be at least partially confirmed as being true. Teams coming up from the Championship will be stronger than the ones that got relegated.

So, is it ’wrist slashing’ to think that we have a hell of a task ahead of us just trying to avoid relegation next season? Which teams could we better?

Anyways, I know anything like this is not supposed to be posted on here, so come on you happy-clappers! Destroy me and my points.

Second season syndrome is a myth.

Bye.

A quick look at CW`s management record should allay your fears.

Wilder also said "no head turning transfers" which apart from being potentially misleading on purpose, doesn't mean we're not spending anything.

No head turning transfers just means no coups, Sander was a head turning transfer, not because of the fee but because he was on the radar of some of Europe's top clubs.

Man U fans thought they'd signed him and were over the moon.

At the start of next season there will be 15 teams in the Premier League that have been in it for at least two full seasons.

So that's 15 teams that didn't suffer the mythical second season syndrome.

And the teams coming up

Leeds - in it for 12 years before relegation
West Brom - in it for 8 years before relegation

Playoff teams:

Swansea were in it for years
Fulham went down first season
Brentford have never been in the Premier League
Cardiff went down first season both times they've been in the Prem

Wilder also said "no head turning transfers" which apart from being potentially misleading on purpose, doesn't mean we're not spending anything.

No head turning transfers just means no coups, Sander was a head turning transfer, not because of the fee but because he was on the radar of some of Europe's top clubs.

Man U fans thought they'd signed him and were over the moon.

I’m glad to see someone else say this.

From the way he said it I just took this as “We aren’t breaking the transfer record again” but the Smiths-listening, gloom-addicted, knickers-permanently twisted doom-merchants have taken this to mean that our only acquisitions for the new season will be a ‘Now Thats What I call Music’ CD and some travel-sweets for the coach.

OP joined the forum 2 weeks ago. Starts pessimistic threads. "Seriously concerned" - almost as if he hasn't watched us much in the last 5 years.

The stench of pork is strong

What ever, mate. I've been following the Blades from a far since the early 1990's. And I'm not the only one of us who spend years before registering into forums and taking part in discussions. Mostly because it's the kind of sh*te you're sprouting out here. I live abroad, am not an English citizen, spend loads of money supporting and following the Blades - but to you I'm pork. Okay.

What ever, mate. I've been following the Blades from a far since the early 1990's. And I'm not the only one of us who spend years before registering into forums and taking part in discussions. Mostly because it's the kind of sh*te you're sprouting out here. I live abroad, am not an English citizen, spend loads of money supporting and following the Blades - but to you I'm pork. Okay.
I don't know wether you are or not but you don't really help yourself with your post, I guarantee a lot on here reading it will have thought the same including me but you say you aren't and I am happy to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm watching you 😎

Second season syndrome is a myth.

Bye.
Someone on this forum earlier did point out, having done his calculations, that it's no myth. But you, without any evidence saying in the very same message board that it actually is a myth, you feel free to tell me to f*uck off. (?) Oh, okay.

I smell no pork, just people expressing their thoughts. I too am a little worried for next season. We are not the surprise package anymore and if we don't get more of a goal threat and make a poor start we could ourselves playing catch up. I doubt we will go down, but I can see us having a Brighton / West Ham type of last season.

I think Wilder will have a bob or two to spend but our market will be very much players who 'could' make it. I just hope that we can unearth a gem or two!

Undoubtedly going to be more difficult this coming season. Oppo managers have played us twice and will be devising ways to nulify our style of play. However CWAK know this and will have a trick or two up their sleeve.

One thing I'm utterly convinced of is we will have a stronger squad by mid September than we do now....and the one we have now just finished 9th so I don't see us struggling. The days of selling our best players for anything other than silly money are gone. If we were to lose Egan or JOC we will have a hell of a sum of money to replace them.

Also for those expecting a big spree this summer don't forget Sanders transfer was originally budgeted for now not January so that needs taking into account.

Anyway sides I expect to be worse than us next season...at least 2 of and probably all 3 promoted ones, Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Palace. Ones similar to us Everton, Southampton, Burnley...so even if we regress we have plenty of headroom in my opinion.

And the teams coming up

Leeds - in it for 12 years before relegation
West Brom - in it for 8 years before relegation

Playoff teams:

Swansea were in it for years
Fulham went down first season
Brentford have never been in the Premier League
Cardiff went down first season both times they've been in the Prem

Brentford have been in the top flight before they renamed it the Premier League

Someone on this forum earlier did point out, having done his calculations, that it's no myth. But you, without any evidence saying in the very same message board that it actually is a myth, you feel free to tell me to f*uck off. (?) Oh, okay.

Add to the end of this data that Wolves haven't suffered from it and Fulham and Cardiff went straight back down and I think it's clear that Second season syndrome is a load of bollocks.

And here's a bit more from this very same message board

Since the PL started (26 seasons), 9 teams out of 78 have been relegated in their 2nd season. 11.5%
34 teams out of 78 have been relegated after one season. 43.5%
Looking like Villa & Norwich could make it 36..
So, if you survive the first year, it's decent odds that you'll survive the second.
The third season mind...

And if you think "bye" is the same as "fuck off" then you must get into a lot of fights.

Last edited:
Second season syndrome
Worst Premier league in 20 years
Wheels fell off with the flu
Relegated with lowest points ever
Pukka pies corner stand is an eyesore , nay a monstrosity
Wilder out

I think we'll end 14th or just above. Kick on the year after.

Unreliable newspaper sources, common sense. I truly hope it's not true.
Which papers have said we don't have resources ? If they are unreliable why are you quitting them?What 'common sense' is being applied to say we dont have resources ?

здравствуй westsiberiablade, как жизнь? именно где живёшь в сибире? интересно будет узнать. я в киеве

Good to see a nice message to WestSiberiaBlade from nezimão

"hello westsiberiablade, how are you? exactly where do you live in Siberia? it will be interesting to know. I am in Kiev"

Very harsh to call him pork, totally unnecessary.

Sadly typical of some on here

Second season syndrome is a myth. If anything it should be called 1st season syndrome.

Here are all the PL clubs that have been relegated and number of seasons spent in the PL before their relegation.

Aston Villa (24)​
Barnsley (1)​
Birmingham (4), (1), (2)​
Blackburn (7), (11)​
Blackpool (1)​
Bournemouth (5)​
Bradford (2)​
Burnley (1), (1)​
Cardiff (1), (1)​
Charlton (1), (7)​
Coventry (9)​
Crystal P (1), (1), (1), (1)​
Derby (6), (1)​
Fulham (13), (1)​
Huddersfield (2)​
Hull (2), (2), (1)​
Ipswich (3), (2)​
Leeds (12)​
Leicester (1), (6), (1)​
Man C (4), (1)​
M'boro (1), (2), (11), (1)​
Newcastle (16), (6)​
Norwich (3), (1), (3), (1), (1)​
Forest (1), (3), (1)​
Oldham (2)​
Portsmouth (7)​
QPR (4), (2), (1)​
Reading (2), (1)​
Sheff Utd (2), (1)​
Sheff Wed (8)​
S'oton (13)​
Stoke (10)​
Sun'lnd (1), (4), (1), (10)​
Swansea (7)​
Swindon (1)​
Watford (1), (1), (5)​
WBA (1), (2), (1), (8)​
W. Ham (10), (6)​
Wigan (8)​
Wimbledon (8)​
Wolves (1), (3)​

Relegations in season 1 = 36
Relegations in season 2 = 12
Relegations in season 3 = 5
Relegations in season 4 = 4
Relegations in season 5 = 2
Relegations in 6+ seasons = 24

Myth !

Worth noting too that these figures are from 1992/93 - PL era only, so United's 2nd season syndrome in 93/94 was actually our 4th consecutive top flight

He said there was a 25% chance of being relegated based on historical evidence which includes all those who stayed up by the skin of their teeth the previous season.
He also said there was a greater than 65% chance based on the same evidence that we would finish with a higher points total, which is easily enough to keep us up.

I guess you just saw what you wanted to see and decided that it was a thing, when actually it proved that based on probability it isn't we're much more likely to stay up.

Back
Top Bottom