About last night... (BladesPod)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

So... about last night. Roygbiv try not to get too wound up, but give our thoughts on the VAR situation, the game as a whole, some poor performances and whether Newcastle have "figured us out"...

Cheers for listening, fully understand if you don't :D UTB, roll on Sunday.

I'm relying on this as a therapy session, so I'm hoping for a level-headed viewpoint and a bit of perspective.
I'm already on my 3rd VAR rant of the day and I'm trying to justify the homicide I'm plotting against Dermot Gallagher as a crime of passion (although it's hours since he appeared on Amazon trying to defend the current implementation of VAR so I'm not sure it will wash. I still want to push my thumbs through his eye sockets Mountain-style though)

great pod as always
agree regards VAR and the shambles it is , every goal now you are wondering if it will be disallowed and takes away the celebration /joy

some of the crowd were shockingly negative and deluded last night , having a go at every player esp mcburnie ! baffling

thank you guys, I kind of enjoyed it! The linesman was dreadful all game! And he did put his flag up straight away right in front of us. When it went to var I new it was going to be given. How annoying was it for ex players to congratulate the ref for getting it right after the game! Just picking up there pay check and on to the next one

great pod as always
agree regards VAR and the shambles it is , every goal now you are wondering if it will be disallowed and takes away the celebration /joy

some of the crowd were shockingly negative and deluded last night , having a go at every player esp mcburnie ! baffling
Do you think the lack of celebration/joy could be adequately compensated by the sheer surprise and amazement experienced by the Geordies last night?

Do you think the lack of celebration/joy could be adequately compensated by the sheer surprise and amazement experienced by the Geordies last night?
Maybe! , I know it was the first time ever I was shouting at the ref to book a opposition player for time wasting when it then turns out to be goal to them !!

God knows why I have given you two a like for this pod, it's just pissed me off all over again !! ;)

Afternoon all,

So... about last night. Roygbiv try not to get too wound up, but give our thoughts on the VAR situation, the game as a whole, some poor performances and whether Newcastle have "figured us out"...

Cheers for listening, fully understand if you don't :D UTB, roll on Sunday.

Well it wasn’t the therapy I was hoping for - the sense of injustice is still strong. However, you two have eased my fears that I’d completely lost it as you’ve both raised the same arguments I’ve been spouting (especially re. VAR application inconsistencies and the apparent existential crises all linesmen should be feeling due to their becoming obsolete).
On non-VAR matters the pod has inspired the following musings:
  • I’d love our fitness team to get their claws into McBurnie and work the same magic they performed on Lundstram over the summer. There’s clearly a player in there (I witnessed it away at Barnsley the other year) but he doesn’t seem to have the physicality to hold his own at the top level.
  • when teams sit back and ask us to break them down, we need more lateral movement in the team. We were crying out for players like McG, Freeman and Mousset who are willing to drop deep, pull out wide, move across the frontline - pull defenders out of position and create the spaces to exploit - the Duffy role if you will. We don’t need two “box to box” types in Lundstram and Fleck if we’re playing teams who are gonna sit back and dig in.
  • Against teams sitting deep, we can afford to switch to a back four. The overloads created by the overlapping CB’s are negated and non-existent if the opposition’s wingbacks show no ambition to get forward. We’d be better keeping a solid CB back pairing to prevent us getting caught on the break and it would give Norwood the license to wander forward and make things happen.

I might be talking crap though, in Wilder we trust.

Appreciated as always chaps but I might have to have a second attempt at this. Put it on this evening while I was having my tea but after about 10 minutes it was just compounding my levels of upset and anger, so I had to switch it off and put some music on to calm me down.

I always listen to the Pods twice, I still havent been able to bring myself to listen to this one, i think i'd top me sen.

After yesterday, I finally felt ready to listen to this 😁 Looking forward to this week’s.

I did the same last night. Much easier to revisit after a huge win. 👍

One thing I’d ask the podders is about their assertion that the lino made a huge error. Carroll was inches onside. If you think the lino shouldn’t call it as they see it, and only raise a flag if a player is literally yards offside, then just imagine the uproar from the stands. And like you said yourselves, why bother with a lino at all?

Calling offsides is a split second decision. It’s nothing like a cricket umpire who can ponder what they’ve seen before adjudicating. Linos have worked that way for years and now var demands they second guess their first impressions. This must be a nightmare for them.

I don’t blame the lino for making a giant error. I blame the rules and var guidance that makes their role advisory.

One thing I’d ask the podders is about their assertion that the lino made a huge error. Carroll was inches onside. If you think the lino shouldn’t call it as they see it, and only raise a flag if a player is literally yards offside, then just imagine the uproar from the stands. And like you said yourselves, why bother with a lino at all?

Calling offsides is a split second decision. It’s nothing like a cricket umpire who can ponder what they’ve seen before adjudicating. Linos have worked that way for years and now var demands they second guess their first impressions. This must be a nightmare for them.

I don’t blame the lino for making a giant error. I blame the rules and var guidance that makes their role advisory.
It was a lino mistake followed by the referee not blowing on a flag.
In tight decisions linos are not supposed to flag as he did which was wrong the ref should have blown, he was in no position to judge a tight decision or not.
I understand that's how var wants it , cant have it both ways.Everyone stopped expecting a whistle which didnt come.
Instructions are there to adhered to.
The lino started a chain reaction which made var look foolish.

It was a lino mistake followed by the referee not blowing on a flag.
In tight decisions linos are not supposed to flag as he did which was wrong the ref should have blown, he was in no position to judge a tight decision or not.
I understand that's how var wants it , cant have it both ways.Everyone stopped expecting a whistle which didnt come.
Instructions are there to adhered to.
The lino started a chain reaction which made var look foolish.

All true, but the assertion was it was a huge mistake. In my view it was a small mistake that becomes a farce due to the var protocols.

If we deem it was indeed a huge mistake then we’re effectively asking linos to allow a huge margin before raising their flag. Otherwise the scenario will recur regularly. Do we want a game where linos allow play to carry on when the eventual decision will eventually be offside anyway in 90% of cases?

The intolerance of officials making errors is part of the reason we now have var. And yet with var introduced, we find that even fractional errors, such as Thursday’s, are highlighted even more. That’s entirely contrary to intention.

Fundamentally this is a trade off between avoiding error and having a worthwhile sport to watch. And with every ratcheting up of what’s deemed a huge error, the sport moves further away from the one I want to see.

All true, but the assertion was it was a huge mistake. In my view it was a small mistake that becomes a farce due to the var protocols.

If we deem it was indeed a huge mistake then we’re effectively asking linos to allow a huge margin before raising their flag. Otherwise the scenario will recur regularly. Do we want a game where linos allow play to carry on when the eventual decision will eventually be offside anyway in 90% of cases?

The intolerance of officials making errors is part of the reason we now have var. And yet with var introduced, we find that even fractional errors, such as Thursday’s, are highlighted even more. That’s entirely contrary to intention.

Fundamentally this is a trade off between avoiding error and having a worthwhile sport to watch. And with every ratcheting up of what’s deemed a huge error, the sport moves further away from the one I want to see.
Simple really no flag players dont stop ! it's a 1 on 1 with Hendo! who's to say he wouldnt have saved it ! Shelvey would have been under pressure being chased down .
That is surely how far is meant to work ; simple if officials do there jobs properly.

I don't think the call was a huge error but they're only supposed to raise the flag in obvious scenarios. I take the point that it must be difficult for a linesman to stop doing what will have now become natural to him though.

Last season it would have been a small mistake. This season is was a big error for me.

I don't think the call was a huge error but they're only supposed to raise the flag in obvious scenarios. I take the point that it must be difficult for a linesman to stop doing what will have now become natural to him though.

Last season it would have been a small mistake. This season is was a big error for me.

If that’s a genuinely big error, then I’d suggest we’ve either rendered the job of a lino near impossible, or we’ll see loads of “play-on” calls that should be pulled back but won’t be because linos will operate a big margin of error. Plus of course, more “goals” overturned by var after linos play it safe. With that wonderful delay we get as Stockley Park get their lines drawn.

It’s an awful scenario. Either we trial an appeal system like cricket, or just give me human error and proper football over VAR and that nonsense.

When’s the Norwich Pod up? Haven’t been able to face listening to the Newcastle one yet, but think I can if it’s in a double bill with the Norwich one.

Back
Top Bottom