A week is a long time in football.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is the vastly superior quality of the football not an achievement? It is to me. A very important one. Tufty’s brought proper football back to the Lane and it’s a joy to behold.

He too inherited a shambles. That’s often why clubs sack managers and employ replacements. What he has produced is astonishing.

Did neither Bassett nor Warnock preside over relegations? I only ask because you wouldn’t know from anything you read on here.

I know that his style of football wasn't to everyone's tastes, but he saved the club from another abyss. As CS71 says, at the end of the '87 season we were in the mire and were heading one way. Bassett quickly rebuilt the team cheaply and got us out of trouble. He also re-engerised the fan base and gave us relative success, when behind the scenes there was turmoil. Successive promotions is not an achievement to be sniffed at. I remember it as direct fast football with purpose as opposed to aimless long ball. The only criticism was his failure to replace the ex Wimbledon old guard with new blood and obviously a replacement for Deane.

On personal preference for style of football? I'm more wilder than bassett, but i'll never forget nor downplay his achievements.

Doubt that Wilder will eclipse Bassett's achievements of consecutive promotions plus four years in the top flight and a cup semi-final.
Be nice if someone has to dig out this thread in five years though...

...when he, Ol’ Big Nose payed £750,000 for a knackered player, him.

What's the size of his nose got to do with anything? ;)

Again, I know warnock isn't to everone's tastes on this board as a manager and as a man, but the same goes for him as it does for Bassett. Within a context, I'll always been grateful for his tenure. The season we got to the play offs & 2 semi's was as good as anything i've experienced as a blade. As has been said on other posts, the atmosphere at BDTBL, especially G & H blocks fizzed that season.

On personal preference for style of football? I'm more wilder than warnock, but i'll never forget nor downplay his achievements.

Last edited:
Is the vastly superior quality of the football not an achievement? It is to me. A very important one. Tufty’s brought proper football back to the Lane and it’s a joy to behold.

He too inherited a shambles. That’s often why clubs sack managers and employ replacements. What he has produced is astonishing.

Did neither Bassett nor Warnock preside over relegations? I only ask because you wouldn’t know from anything you read on here.

I think the point with Bassett, whatever you think of the brand of football (it wasn't pretty or subtle lets be honest), what it did achieve was survival in the top division for a time.

The football under Wilder is a quantum leap in difference I think most will agree. Could he keep us up there if we were fortunate to get there? Nobody knows, but I do think if anyone can, he can. It does depend to a large extent how brave the board will be in backing him. The money being spent even by teams who are struggling up there is mind boggling.

I accept Bassett’s and Warnock’s achievements. I always have. My own opinion, I accept a minority one, is that they came at a heavy price, not least a pretty unsophisticated and parochial fan base (not necessarily on here - nothing personal).

I think the point with Bassett, whatever you think of the brand of football (it wasn't pretty or subtle lets be honest), what it did achieve was survival in the top division for a time.

The football under Wilder is a quantum leap in difference I think most will agree. Could he keep us up there if we were fortunate to get there? Nobody knows, but I do think if anyone can, he can. It does depend to a large extent how brave the board will be in backing him. The money being spent even by teams who are struggling up there is mind boggling.

It is the highest quality of football (technique, purpose & result) that i've seen us consistently play in my time as a supporter. I've seen good football under Kendall, Spackman and Clough but not for the best part of 18mths. In my bladey world he becomes our Dyche or Howe and gets us promoted and is allowed to build a dynasty. He's only 50 so has plenty left in the tank, and when there isn't he gets a role upstairs. Under Bassett we had an identity and a team spirit that was so powerful, ex players still live in the city & openly support the club & refer to themselves as 'blades'. In the years since we lost that and we now have it back. We should move heaven and earth to keep it. And that was the message that was lost in someways in the celebration of promotion. Somewhere at the Lane, there should a poster saying 'Never let ourselves sink so low again'.

It is the highest quality of football (technique, purpose & result) that i've seen us consistently play in my time as a supporter. I've seen good football under Kendall, Spackman and Clough but not for the best part of 18mths. In my bladey world he becomes our Dyche or Howe and gets us promoted and is allowed to build a dynasty. He's only 50 so has plenty left in the tank, and when there isn't he gets a role upstairs. Under Bassett we had an identity and a team spirit that was so powerful, ex players still live in the city & openly support the club & refer to themselves as 'blades'. In the years since we lost that and we now have it back. We should move heaven and earth to keep it.

I can't add anything to that except to say you've totally nailed it.

To be fair, I think relegation is what Lydon is referring to in his post about Warnock trying and failing to keep us up at the big table.

Otherwise agree with you that getting the success we have had recently whilst playing the style of football that we do is an achievement in and of itself.

What's the size of his nose got to do with anything? ;)

Again, I know warnock isn't to everone's tastes on this board as a manager and as a man, but the same goes for him as it does for Bassett. Within a context, I'll always been grateful for his tenure. The season we got to the play offs & 2 semi's was as good as anything i've experienced as a blade. As has been said on other posts, the atmosphere at BDTBL, especially G & H blocks fizzed that season.

On personal preference for style of football? I'm more wilder than warnock, but i'll never forget nor downplay his achievements.

Pinchy is into size of this, size of that. Strange for a self-appointed football purist. Sort of spoils the image when he is always thinking about size. Hates big noses, hates little footballers, loves to take digs, loves to wind-up.

A week is a long time in football but Wednesday will still score nil.

Back
Top Bottom