40k To Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Any word yet from the club on what day the victory parade through town will be when we bring the cup home?

It is an urban myth when you hear the pigs go on about how massive they are but sadly many buy into it because it has been going on since the 60's the last time they averaged 30k per season was 1967 the season after their 66 cup final appearance. What favoured the pigs was the sty was always bigger than the 3 sided lane with 2 large up to date stands due to FA handouts and people in high places helping them get games for the 66 world cup. It all began to change around 1970 when Harris assembled that great United team just when the pigs went to shit.
The sty could always accommodate a larger away following and on occassions they would get crowds of over 50,000 then next week down to the normal 16-17,000. My old dad god rest his soul always said if they won three straight games it would add 10,000 to there next home game but lose and they would disappear just as fast, how right he was and it still holds true today. A few wins and they are world beaters and they all wanna be there go on a poor run and they crawl back under their rocks (16,500 against Man City last night is all the proof you need) Only the grandads can remember them averaging 30,000.
Remember too we averaged over 30,000 in the 70's when there was no real capacity at the lane, we did it again when Warnock took us into the Premiership with the lane having a capacity of close to 33,000 all seated, we are on course again in a stadium with a slightly reduced capacity today our support has always been more consistent than theirs who mainly only turn out for big games and only then if they think they have a chance of winning (ref the Man City game last night once more)

A very Wendy-esque post, but there are no direct trains between Sheffield and London over the semi final weekend.

Attachments

• 6754A8FF-F378-4EA3-AAB1-C32640D85F1B.png
    6754A8FF-F378-4EA3-AAB1-C32640D85F1B.png
    986.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 155A1093-BB74-4E34-B109-6C3A4A76BCA4.png
    155A1093-BB74-4E34-B109-6C3A4A76BCA4.png
    978.6 KB · Views: 9
I’m sure we’d sell however many tickets we were given.

Just the small matter of 13 times FA Cup winners Arsenal to contend with first.

A very Wendy-esque post, but there are no direct trains between Sheffield and London over the semi final weekend.

Should we get past Arsenal rail travel will not be a problem it is just as fast to London going via Doncaster. Donny to Kings X can be done in less than 1hr 30mins your bus ticket for all of S.Yorks will get you to Donny by bus or train any time you choose. The best Sheffield to London direct train will take around 2 hours pretty shit really.

Should we get past Arsenal rail travel will not be a problem it is just as fast to London going via Doncaster. Donny to Kings X can be done in less than 1hr 30mins your bus ticket for all of S.Yorks will get you to Donny by bus or train any time you choose. The best Sheffield to London direct train will take around 2 hours pretty shit really.
True, however trains back via Donny only run until around 20:30. The semi finals kicked off at 5 and 4 last year.

Any word yet from the club on what day the victory parade through town will be when we bring the cup home?
It’s conditional. Winning the cup is a side issue, we’ll only have a parade if we sell more tickets than the pigs, because that’s what’s really important.

It’s conditional. Winning the cup is a side issue, we’ll only have a parade if we sell more tickets than the pigs, because that’s what’s really important.
Looks like the parade will be off then as Bert will be in foreign parts for the semi.

This as been niggling me for years since the pigs done it but could we ever take that many to Wembley I know loads were part timers but do we have the part time fan base to take 40k I’m sure I read somewhere we struggled with 34k for the Huddersfield game.
Has it really been niggling you for years? If so I'd say you need serious psychiatric help. Best position we've ever been and you're worried about matching the pigs attendance at Wembley. Fucking chirst

You also have to take into consideration the fact that United have had more event games over the last 30 years than Wendy have. They had never been to the new Wembley, and not been at all since 1993 before their play off v Hull. They were also full of beans for that game as they thought it was a shoe in the arrogant bastards. On the other hand Unitedites had been treated to nothing but serial failure on the big occasions. It naturally turns people off from attending those games if in your heart of hearts, you expect to see your club fail.

I've never really got the massive attendances at Wendy thing either. I think it's mainly a myth. Yes they have had some good attendances in the past, nearly 40k v Man Utd in the early 90s and a 48k attendance against the same side in the mid 80s...coincidentaly when Man Utd would have brought thousands and thousands to those games and probably had many in home areas also. How many times could we actually say they have had way more than 30k home fans in attendance for those big gates? Probably not a lot if truth be told. Yet Utd are now averaging over 30k without nearly as many away fans as the Lepers Lane has historically hosted, and if the Lane was bigger this season I'd suggest that we would be averaging 35k plus this season.

Considering the bigger size of the rust bucket over the Lane over many decades, the slightly bigger historical average attendance that they have over us is pretty marginal/pathetic, especially when you consider that they have seemingly always been seen as the glamour club of Sheffield with stadium improvement handouts etc, and they will have enjoyed many a huge away following bulking up their figures.

Wendies huge potential attendances are just a myth. There's a reason why they are so insecure about attendances compared to Blades.
we had 15k at the rust bucket on a certain boxing day

I bet i know around 100 lads who are blades that would go but hardly go to any matches. Money, work, young family and hard to get a ticket at lane stops alot of them.
And not living in Sheffield. I know loads who, like me, are big Blades and go when they can, but live too far away to attend regularly. There are plenty on this forum

And not living in Sheffield. I know loads who, like me, are big Blades and go when they can, but live too far away to attend regularly. There are plenty on this forum
Exactly. I was season ticket holder until education then work meant I had to live 100s of miles away. Hard to afford the money and time to go up and down to sheffield every week and so uo until this season i went to lots of away games and 4 or so home games. Away games taken away from me this season except for norwich game. I once had someone say to me i shouldnt have moved away if i was such a big blade!! Some people are gormless!

Has it really been niggling you for years? If so I'd say you need serious psychiatric help. Best position we've ever been and you're worried about matching the pigs attendance at Wembley. Fucking chirst

The original post was a year ago when we were thinking we might have to go to Wembley for a play-off final to be fair to the poster.

As for the 40k game, I was in attendance that day, but in the Hull City end which was jolly good fun eventually. It's the only time I've stayed back for the winning team's lap of honour.

You fucking part timer.

Reactions: Dkc

Back
Top Bottom