One record you hope that we would break..........

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
Should we finish the job this year and be Championship bound....................

What with it being a decade since we played top flight football and half or more of that time being trapped in this horrible, unfashionable league...Obviously things have move on a great deal and an obvious concern would be just how we will adjust to this almost "alien" league, which in all fairness seems to have erupted into somewhat financial stupidity since our last stint.

Whilst many of you probably won't want to remember this particular year, cast your minds back to the 2010/2011 season......a season that would see us fall from grace into this torturous league!

Back then you might have seen the very odd ambitious transfer fee however the majority of clubs were seen as splashing the cash in that league should they pay anything that hit the seven figure mark!.....

- Middlesborough were seen as going for it due to splashing out £1.5m for McManus of Celtic.....
- Doncaster Rovers created a new club record by splashing out £1.5m for our very own Billy Sharp!..........
- QPR were going for it as they stole Mr Cough Syrup himself (Paddy Kenny) from us for 750k...........

Fast forward to this season and suddenly you are looking at a completely different league, one that I aptly described as quite alien to us in respects the the amounts of money being splashed around!...

£10m has traded hands for individual players in the championship, on may occasion over the last few years.....Transfer fees in excess of £5m are extremely common these days and I would hazard guess that the average transfer fee sits somewhere around the £2.5m to £3m mark these days??

..........................................................................................................................................................................

The we cast our minds back to 2007, a season in which we were all very much hungover and down in the dumps after witnessing our fine club being relegated from the Premiership.....

It was at this point that Bryan Robson decided to lift spirits by persuading McCabe to allow him spend some of our relegation parachute money.......In came David Carney from Sydney F.C and astonishingly, a fine figure of a striker....no other than Mr James Beattie!........A signing that was to break our all time transfer records at a fee of a staggering £4m!!!

...........................................................................................................................................................................

Should (don't want to tempt fate) we get promoted next season, we find ourselves in a position in which our board will have no other option than to allocate some of this "game changing" money to Mr Wilder!......This team is fantastic at this level and a few players may go on to become comfortable Championship players...however none of are deluded enough to believe that this squad could compete week in / week out, in a league in which the quality has improved significantly.....It is like an overflow of the premier league these days!

So in conclusion.......sure promotion would mean that a new all time record fee shouldn't be that too far away on the horizon?

With the right manager it's still perfectly doable to cope and succeed in the championship on little budget, at the same time it's still very easy and common to piss millions up the wall and still be shite. Just compare Barnsley and Villa for example.

Having said that, if we're serious about competing at the right end of the table, some of the Scarborough bank notes are going to have to make an appearance.

With the right manager it's still perfectly doable to cope and succeed in the championship on little budget, at the same time it's still very easy and common to piss millions up the wall and still be shite. Just compare Barnsley and Villa for example.

I agree completely S4....Even with Wilder at the helm, I wouldn't expect us to throw money here, there are everywhere.

We would have to establish ourselves as a Championship team as our first main target and throwing silly amounts of cash in doing so, well like you say....There are no guarantees of success as a result.

We would no doubt have to be shrewd in the manner in which we built our new Championship squad, however never the less it is a no brainer that significant improvements would have to be brought in as well, which is where our owners have to finally deliver figures which were once promised to us.

At a bare minimum we will need two or three quality, established, experienced, Championship level players......and in a league where the quality is much improved, we would need a bit of quality in the mix as well........These things would command a fee.

e9itza.jpg

All hypothetical at this stage but I doubt that we'd see a "flagship" signing if we achieve promotion.

The more likely (and in my view better) approach would be to distribute the transfer budget across the squad. Strengthening a number of positions.

Not bothered about the record, would take an own goal in the last minute off of a Chezzy arse cheek TBH. Just get the fuck up!!!

I think the majority of clubs aren't splashing it and we shouldn't either. If I've said it once I've said it a dozen times one thing that Football Manager taught me is that if you make a flagship signing they will invariably get a long term injury. Having looked at the top 6 in the Champs previously (despite my mistake that replaced l**ds with wigan) Newcastle have spent a hundred million (and only just have a dominant Championship team), Wednesday had spent about 10 million over 3 years and the other top 6 teams really haven't spent any surprising amounts of money. Now we can talk about agents fees and wages but we don't know what United spend on those let alone other clubs. It's still all about the manager at this level we have Wilder who's getting us to play good football however this is all uncharted territory for him, so we need to bide our time and hopefully it will come good.
One thing I do worry about is that the Prince's input was made 'as an investment' and as much as 99% of our fanbase want to forget this, he will be taking money out one way or another when we get to a level that permits this.

The championship has seen a huge amount of investment but that's down to foreign owners pumping money into their play-things.

Couple that with 6 years of inflation and you have the answer right there.

We haven't been left behind and I'm confident we can compete financially with most teams in the division.

I disagree that we would need 2 or 3 established/experienced Championship players. Thats a dodgy route that's caused us immesearable harm in the recent past.
I think Wilder will look more for young ambitious talent and players he feels have a lot more to them than they've previously shown like Fleck.
A team with a solid spine and pacy,athletic, hungry, ambitious players around it could see us have a very exciting season.
IF we were to get promoted.

I think the majority of clubs aren't splashing it and we shouldn't either. If I've said it once I've said it a dozen times one thing that Football Manager taught me is that if you make a flagship signing they will invariably get a long term injury. Having looked at the top 6 in the Champs previously (despite my mistake that replaced l**ds with wigan) Newcastle have spent a hundred million (and only just have a dominant Championship team), Wednesday had spent about 10 million over 3 years and the other top 6 teams really haven't spent any surprising amounts of money. Now we can talk about agents fees and wages but we don't know what United spend on those let alone other clubs. It's still all about the manager at this level we have Wilder who's getting us to play good football however this is all uncharted territory for him, so we need to bide our time and hopefully it will come good.
One thing I do worry about is that the Prince's input was made 'as an investment' and as much as 99% of our fanbase want to forget this, he will be taking money out one way or another when we get to a level that permits this.

Wednesday have spent far more than 10 million over the last 3 years.

Just off the top of my head they've spent 10 million on Rhodes, 4 million on Forristierre and 3 million on Joao.

They've made some shrewd free signings like Bannan and Wallace but will have come with massive wages and signing on fees.

They are paying through the nose wages wise so will have to go up soon or the squeeze may begin and that would be a shame wouldn't it ... NOT!

Its important to remember that it's the budget of teams in the Championship that has increased not necessarily the quality of players within it. Like people have said before if we buy well and keep up the same recruitment philosophy we've been doing this season (i.e. Hungry, ambitious, feel like they're stepping up with us) then we'll be fine.

Wednesday have spent far more than 10 million over the last 3 years.

Just off the top of my head they've spent 10 million on Rhodes, 4 million on Forristierre and 3 million on Joao.

They've made some shrewd free signings like Bannan and Wallace but will have come with massive wages and signing on fees.

They are paying through the nose wages wise so will have to go up soon or the squeeze may begin and that would be a shame wouldn't it ... NOT!
I understand they are committed to spending £10m on Rhodes but it's a loan for now. I wonder if Middlesbrough noticed the way they handled the £20m they were committed to paying back to the Co-Op bank....

its all relative

we paid 750 or thereabouts on billy sharp
oinkers paid 10 million for Rhodes

when we go up will I feel they have a player 10 times better than werve got

will I fuck

so yes some transfer fees have gone barmy

does it mean its left us light years behind
in a word
no

Do I think CW will get good enough players to maintain our status there

oh yes to quote churchill

Its daft to rule out signing any sort of player - every deal is unique, in what we pay, what the player offers, wages etc.

Example - Steven Sidwell, making massive contribution at Brighton - excellent player, but is technically an ageing Championship player with only a few seasons left in him.

Then you look at some of the young gems Barnsley have signed from lower down the ladder, who have no Championship experience at all.

Each player has to be looked at on its individual merit. The only type of player we should restrict ourself to is good players who will improve the squad.

I'm not so sure about the "Prince" starting to take some money out ........ we're still awaiting the "game changing investment" going in ....... which we are told won't happen until we get back to the Championship.

I'm still thinking Liverpool Kev !! ;)o_O:eek:

UTB & FTP

its like man utd
for all their big money signings the undoubted best signing has been Ibrahimovic

and he was free

its about being clever with what resources you have
there will be a significant increase in our budget as it was promised

and I believe it will be forth coming
for starter the incomes greatly enhanced
yes the transfer fees have gone up but so has the tv money , immensely

I'm not so sure about the "Prince" starting to take some money out ........ we're still awaiting the "game changing investment" going in ....... which we are told won't happen until we get back to the Championship.

I'm still thinking Liverpool Kev !! ;)o_O:eek:

UTB & FTP

well l thats the acid test
we were told it will up no doubt it will
weve been out 6 years
tv money for live championship games has increased immensely since then
say 7 or 8 games there would be 12 to 15 times what we earn this season for starters

theyd expect a crowd increase, 3 to 4 times as much income from away support alone

our gross income will probably double from what we get here
and heres the best thing , apart from the year we got relegated didnt we get investment to compete in the top 8 to 10 just about every season in the championship under mccabe

from falling out of the prem in 94 our record in the championship was one of 10th and above in 13 out of 16 seasons

8th 9th 5th 6th 8th 16th 10th 13 th 8th 8th 2nd prem then 9th 3rd and 8th then 2010

you dont do that unless your backed , no matter what anyone says

wednesdays record since 2000 compared to that is pitiful
one play off since relegation , not even looked close

wednesday champ finishes
17th 20 th 21st 2 in L1 19th 9th 16th 12 th 22nd 2 in L1 18th 16th 13th 6th

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom