Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U21 v Blackburn Rovers (h)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I urge everyone to watch this even if it's just a reminder that we've got a bunch of young lads willing to give everything for the shirt, and you might get to see us win a game! How novel.

Plus Sam Curtis starts so I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about

3-2 to Blackburn at HT.

It's far more entertaining than the first team but there are worrying similarities.

We look very vulnerable at the back, the keeper Amissah has looked poor and on this showing I'd be worried if he was our backup keeper next season.

In attack we've looked dangerous. Macedo has some lovely skills, Oné is massive and puts himself about well, Hampson is also very good.

Unfortunately, like the first team, we look good when we get the ball down and pass it about but instead we continually hit it long or aim for the channels where we inevitably lose it and then struggle to win it back again. A few quick direct passes and Blackburn are in on goal.

Machedo very impressive, nice touch, turns consistently into space not only away from the player in close contact but also knows where other defenders are. Dropping off into pockets of space well as well although not always being used.

Mixed bag for Curtis it’ll be interesting to see him once he’s settled.

I like Hampson, who's got a good enigne, good technical ability and gets into the box, where he's a goal threat. We've produced many small, neat midfielders the past few years, but Hampson may have a bit more to offer than a few of them. MoM for me.

Macedo also has tremendous skill and has developed well this season. Very left footed though! One is a high potential player, but he frustrates a lot. He should seek space, get the ball out of his feet and avoid tussling with the centre halves all the time. When it gets congested he often loses the ball, despite his strength. He did show good feet and vision when he put Hampson clear. Blacker the sub has great dribbling ability and is one I look forward to seeing, very entertaining, a bit like Louis Marsh.

Curtis at RWB had a very quiet debut. Tinsdale on the other wing back didn't have a good debut a few weeks ago, but showed he's got good offensive ability tonight. I'm not sure he's a wing back though and he struggled with a pacey opponent.

I like Hampson, who's got a good enigne, good technical ability and gets into the box, where he's a goal threat. We've produced many small, neat midfielders the past few years, but Hampson may have a bit more to offer than a few of them. MoM for me.

Macedo also has tremendous skill and has developed well this season. Very left footed though! One is a high potential player, but he frustrates a lot. He should seek space, get the ball out of his feet and avoid tussling with the centre halves all the time. When it gets congested he often loses the ball, despite his strength. He did show good feet and vision when he put Hampson clear. Blacker the sub has great dribbling ability and is one I look forward to seeing, very entertaining, a bit like Louis Marsh.

Curtis at RWB had a very quiet debut. Tinsdale on the other wing back didn't have a good debut a few weeks ago, but showed he's got good offensive ability tonight. I'm not sure he's a wing back though and he struggled with a pacey opponent.
Just to say, in case anyone missed it, Owen Hampson has been at first team matches, home and away, for weeks now. Warming up with the squad. Running around the cones. Kicking it into the goals on wheels. Etc. Before kick off.

Watched it on YouTube but going Wednesday night.

That ref was on some right power trip.

Just to say, in case anyone missed it, Owen Hampson has been at first team matches, home and away, for weeks now. Warming up with the squad. Running around the cones. Kicking it into the goals on wheels. Etc. Before kick off.
Wilder mentioned him during an interview the other week, saying how well he'd been doing - I kept noticing him training with the first team and surprised we didn't see him on the bench for the cup game but no need to rush him of course.

He was good again tonight.

Macedo seems to have matured in the last year or so. He was a bit of a hot head and got himself in trouble a lot but that side of his game had definitely been worked on and he's much better as a result

the keeper Amissah has looked poor and on this showing I'd be worried if he was our backup keeper next season.

Was surprised when people said Amissah should be given a chance.

Went on loan to Burton last season and made several howlers in the couple of games he played for them.

Although did also make one very good reactionary save if memory serves.

Is nowhere near Championship level let alone the Prem.

Thought Tinsdale had a much better second half after a rough first.

Their number 7 still gave him some issues in the second half but he seemed to have learned from his mistakes in the first and didn’t give him the opportunity to get at him directly anywhere near as much. Agree it was a rough night for him as a whole but was good to see him take on lessons mid match.

Problem is we are a Development team. Blackburn are above us as PL2 team. Another failure for the Prince not getting us into the PL u/21 league,

We are moving to category 1 soon
I would say we are a long way off, like years from being Cat 1. We’d have to find land and build a new academy and once up and running in a new venue it is still a long and hard process to get Cat 1. Won’t be happening anytime soon unless things have changed in the infrastructure and facilities needed for cat 1.

I honestly wish if we get promoted again we sacrifice any funds for transfers and pump it all into buying land and build a new training ground/academy

I would say we are a long way off, like years from being Cat 1. We’d have to find land and build a new academy and once up and running in a new venue it is still a long and hard process to get Cat 1. Won’t be happening anytime soon unless things have changed in the infrastructure and facilities needed for cat 1.

I honestly wish if we get promoted again we sacrifice any funds for transfers and pump it all into buying land and build a new training ground/academy
Don't disagree. I have mixed feelings about category 1. Brentford ditched this and went for moneyball instead.

Two promotions to Prem, parachute payments, massive season ticket sales, near full houses, up 36million on transfers in last year and we're still skint. Bring back Dick Wragg. Something doesn't add up, and please don't come out with the usual that it costs a lot to run a football club.

Back
Top Bottom