Rotherham v Middlesbrough and Blackburn v Luton. The alternate universe where these games still matter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Quite interested in the Luton game cos of the implications for one of the tightest battles this season for the neutral: the race for the last 2 playoff places in the Championship. 2 from 5, similar to the contest to get relegated from the Prem 🍿🍿🍿

Quite amazing how Boro fell apart the moment the alarm bells started blaring out at full volume for us
The day they beat Swansea 1-3 away and we lost to Luton we were four points ahead of them on equal games. Since then, they've managed 11 points from nine matches. We've managed 21 from eight. I think even the most optimistic bone in my body wouldn't have predicted us to utterly outperform them to the line like that.

Quite amazing how Boro fell apart the moment the alarm bells started blaring out at full volume for us
The day they beat Swansea 1-3 away and we lost to Luton we were four points ahead of them on equal games. Since then, they've managed 11 points from nine matches. We've managed 21 from eight. I think even the most optimistic bone in my body wouldn't have predicted us to utterly outperform them to the line like that.
In all the years ive watched football one of the most common themes that repeats itself time and time again is the chaser turning to shit when they either become the chasee or get close enough to start thinking about replacing them

Its a totally diferent pressure
Carricks style suited chasing
it was balls out attacking front foot footy leaving the back door open and riding your luck
As soon as your luck starts to turn and teams start to combat your strengths its a whole new ball game

Boro imploded like weeds did
We had a wobble, but kept sturdy under the pressure, Hecky and Macca and big Jack kept taking the heat off the players during the wobble and then on the run in.
They made the whole squad and the club believe in themselves. Despite all the off field shit going on.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've been stupidly confident since about November. It's nice that hasn't blown up in my face. In my head it was all about who was in front after we played Luton. Call that period a "wobble" but getting through that with some breathing space meant we only needed average form to keep the rest at bay. The fact we went right back to doing what we've done for 18 months now just made it a lot smoother.

Back
Top Bottom