My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Skys fault ,Wilders fault ?
I didnt see him doing wonders last night ,I saw negative boring tactics ,the usual poor subs ( a straight left back swap at 2-0 ??) Bullied ,out thought and out fought by a 77 year old man with a poor side. How could you enjoy that.
You was looking at two sides who will struggle mid table to bottom both of them.

So, to 'give and take' (which is what you do) at least you have the potatoes to show your face in 'My take ...' when we lose, humiliating as it is for you.
Show my face at your party. I'm truly humble.

Yeah, agree with most of it. But the goalie was shit as well. Went for the first with the wrong hand, and beaten by a 25 daisy cutter that had a minimal deflection on it. Neither were 'howlers', but sometimes you need the goalie to 'play well' and get you a point or 3. Don't see that happening with Olsen or the other 2 goalies. Boro are a shit side, so even if we're shit, we should be able to get a point. Olsen could have done that for us.
Lowlight of the first half was Norwood's free kick. Fuckin' 'ell.....
Difficult to see how we improve that much with the other players we have (cue Berge bingo.....)

To be fair to the people who defend Norwood most are happy to hold their hands up when he's wank and he certainly was yesterday.

Depends what you mean by 'when he's wank'

Do you mean 'when he twats the ball in a sartorially elegant manner across the park to no effect' wank or 'when he's utterly outclassed, outfought and outpaced in midfield' wank or 'when he just jogs about in a playing bubble pointing at stuff' wank?

He creates nothing. Yesterday he got a few crucial sliding interceptions in and sent a great ball to Osborn who did fuck all with it because there was no options for him. Those high spots were cancelled out by vast spells of him doing his traffic cone schtick (with fellow traffic cone, Jimmy 'yellow card' Fleck) to give their midfield some practice at closing them down, winning possession and three on twos. Both Norwood and Fleck's job last night was LDM/RDM, enforcers who protect the two CBs. Instead Norwood reverted to his 'playing between the CBs and the distributor' role and when possession turned over, he was effectively out of the game. I haven't seen him change that is eighteen months now. His goals/assists is dreadful and whenever he lines up a free kick I know it's going nowhere but to the ballboys.

He is wank, and always was. We've been fooling ourselves for far too long.

pommpey

Show my face at your party. I'm truly humble.

Is it 'my party', or just a regular posting on S24SU?

Either way, good of you to admit Norwood was poor last night, as much as it sticks in your craw. Maybe you'll start to realise that he, and several other Wilder-era relics are sat on longish contracts and will hamper anything Slav has to kick start any rebound to the top flight. The idea that much of our side are anywhere near that level these days and we dare to suggest we ca get back there is frankly preposterous. Illustrated by our failures at Boro.

pommpey

January will be interesting to see who is moved on. Fresh players at reasonable prices are needed with a blend of creativity and physicality. Given how tight the league is I still think with some tweaks the lads can challenge for the playoffs.
It will need more than a few tweaks !!
If we sign four decent players in the JTW then we might challenge but until we have a combative and competitive midfield we will stay mid table.

we really need another striker to come in in january otherwise we aint gonna make the top 6 and will be mid table im afraid

Do you mean 'when he twats the ball in a sartorially elegant manner across the park to no effect' wank or 'when he's utterly outclassed, outfought and outpaced in midfield' wank or 'when he just jogs about in a playing bubble pointing at stuff' wank?

He creates nothing. Yesterday he got a few crucial sliding interceptions in and sent a great ball to Osborn who did fuck all with it because there was no options for him. Those high spots were cancelled out by vast spells of him doing his traffic cone schtick (with fellow traffic cone, Jimmy 'yellow card' Fleck) to give their midfield some practice at closing them down, winning possession and three on twos. Both Norwood and Fleck's job last night was LDM/RDM, enforcers who protect the two CBs. Instead Norwood reverted to his 'playing between the CBs and the distributor' role and when possession turned over, he was effectively out of the game. I haven't seen him change that is eighteen months now. His goals/assists is dreadful and whenever he lines up a free kick I know it's going nowhere but to the ballboys.

He is wank, and always was. We've been fooling ourselves for far too long.

pommpey
...but his free kick was quite powerful, just a shame it was 5 metres too high !

Is it 'my party', or just a regular posting on S24SU?

Either way, good of you to admit Norwood was poor last night, as much as it sticks in your craw. Maybe you'll start to realise that he, and several other Wilder-era relics are sat on longish contracts and will hamper anything Slav has to kick start any rebound to the top flight. The idea that much of our side are anywhere near that level these days and we dare to suggest we ca get back there is frankly preposterous. Illustrated by our failures at Boro.

pommpey
As you probably already know if you read any other threads I'm wel aware of the desperate need for an upgrade across the whole midfield. I have an issue with your constant scapegoating and spotballing of certain players and the abrasive manner in which you converse with anyone who disagrees with you. It's a forum. You're entitled to your opinion. When it's bollocks people will always be here to challenge that opinion, me included.

On Saturday he was very good and I don't think he's been as bad as some think for a fair few games this season. Last night I'd class as wank.
He is wank, and always was
But he wasn't was he? He wasn't wank at all in our promotion season on in the first year up. That's what I meant by my comment, the people who stick up for him sometimes can see it both ways at least.

As you probably already know if you read any other threads I'm wel aware of the desperate need for an upgrade across the whole midfield. I have an issue with your constant scapegoating and spotballing of certain players and the abrasive manner in which you converse with anyone who disagrees with you. It's a forum. You're entitled to your opinion. When it's bollocks people will always be here to challenge that opinion, me included.

Ah, Y'see, there actually are many who disagree with me. Most of them state why in a respectful manner and then there's you and the band of Injuns on your horses, whoopin' and a hollerin' and bringing shit like my attendance at Bramall Lane into the argument and making 'My take ... ' like a protracted, difficult to shift turd with peanuts and glass bits in it. As said, you like to talk football, so do it. If I think Norwood is a shit player then prove to me he isn't, preferably with details and evidence, not personalised 'play the poster' bollocks because I can, and will, do the same in reciprocation. Go have a look at this and many 'My takes ...' and you'll see that of those who disagree with me and do it in the spirit of the forum, they get a like, unless it is a POV worth challenging, and on a footballing matter. The one thing I don't tolerate is agendas, and you have one - it's as clear as day. You can't fucking wait for the post to go up as if it's your mission to one-nil me. You aren't alone either. Fortunately, the majority of this fine forum aren't mentally aligned like that, which is good.

As with Sitwell, why not post your own 'Cheeseboard's Cheeky Chip-in' match review or start your own blog to rival Roy's or Sheff Utd Way or Deadbat's if you value your opinion so much and stay away from this rather daft pursuit of the uncatchable?

pommpey

Think we nee
It will need more than a few tweaks !!
If we sign four decent players in the JTW then we might challenge but until we have a combative and competitive midfield we will stay mid table.
Think we need to transfer list Burke, Freeman, Lowe, Bogle possibly even Brewster and sack the contracts off as failures and recoup what we can to restructure the midfield

pommpey

Let's be clear, Norwood isn't 'wank'. At the same time Slav needs to look up the phrase 'horses for courses', because playing him last night against a high press was a big mistake. Unfortunately Sandra will be injured until January when he leaves, Hourihane is just Norwood but in a different body and we don't really have another option in CM.

Ah, Y'see, there actually are many who disagree with me. Most of them state why in a respectful manner and then there's you and the band of Injuns on your horses, whoopin' and a hollerin' and bringing shit like my attendance at Bramall Lane into the argument and making 'My take ... ' like a protracted, difficult to shift turd with peanuts and glass bits in it. As said, you like to talk football, so do it. If I think Norwood is a shit player then prove to me he isn't, preferably with details and evidence, not personalised 'play the poster' bollocks because I can, and will, do the same in reciprocation. Go have a look at this and many 'My takes ...' and you'll see that of those who disagree with me and do it in the spirit of the forum, they get a like, unless it is a POV worth challenging, and on a footballing matter. The one thing I don't tolerate is agendas, and you have one - it's as clear as day. You can't fucking wait for the post to go up as if it's your mission to one-nil me. You aren't alone either. Fortunately, the majority of this fine forum aren't mentally aligned like that, which is good.

As with Sitwell, why not post your own 'Cheeseboard's Cheeky Chip-in' match review or start your own blog to rival Roy's or Sheff Utd Way or Deadbat's if you value your opinion so much and stay away from this rather daft pursuit of the uncatchable?

pommpey
Pommps, you are at your entertaining best when wound up so I say "carry on my wayward sons" to Cheeseboard and Sitters ;)

Your "my take" is the only upside of United being crap.🥴

Keep up the good work😊

Pommps, you are at your entertaining best when wound up so I say "carry on my wayward sons" to Cheeseboard and Sitters ;)

Your "my take" is the only upside of United being crap.🥴

Keep up the good work😊

Believe me, I am far from 'wound up'. This is simply responding in kind.

Their mission - to force me to parrot their point of view of stop posting - is doomed.

It's easier if they ignore what they believe is wrong or better still, offer evidence where I am wrong. As much of the time the post is about 'me' rather than 'the match' it's difficult to bypass their crap especially as it now seems they lay in wait for 'My take ... ' to post up.

pommpey

Yep pretty spot on there pommpey. Beaten by a better organised and committed side who, unlike us, knew their roles and carried them out well. I like Slav and really hope he will stay with us and transform us from the Wilderstein monster we have become to something resembling a decent Championship outfit. Yes, I have dropped my aspirations from Premiership outfit because I’d like to see us achieve something in my lifetime. Tonight SJ seemed lost - not so much marshalling the troops, more like herding cats. Bloody old, scabby cats in many cases

I just can’t see us achieving anything under any manager or any system if it pivots on Jimmy and Mr Pointy. They were both truly woeful tonight and seemingly incapable of switching off their respective autopilots that are set to ‘crash and burn’ for almost every game. It’s such a soft centre and it’s crippling the team

In Slav we trust, we go again Saturday. Absolutely clear now it’s a rebuild and not a renaissance this season. I can cope with that (as if I had a choice). Just hope Slav sticks with us for the long haul
Slav needs some time, so I'm not going to pile into him. But he hasn't attained 'trust' status either yet for me.
His new recruits are a mixed bag - some great, some not.
His team selections are questionable as too are his substitutions.
His tactics aren't working.

He needs to sort this bag of shite out asap. That is his challenge and he knew that when he took the job on.

pommpey
You're right, you're living rent free in my head. You win.

This Blades side remind me of a little pooch who looks at you excitedly and attentively and wants to play...... you give him a little pat on the head, he licks you excitedly. He's harmless so you let him enjoy his licks and even put your hand to his mouth..... it's not a problem he's not going to bite you, he'll just gnaw a little, as playful dogs do, but with no threat of harm. You then continue to pet him and tickle his belly.

This is what streetwise and more hardened/functional teams to do us. We are not going to hurt them so they'll let us get all excited and licky, then when the time is right kick us in the bollocks. At the moment we have no identity, personality or recognised (effective) style of play. We are neither direct, creative through the lines, overload the wings and balls into the box, pacey runners scaring the fuck out of clumsy defenders................ we have nothing. People can slag Wilderball off as much as they like, but played well ....... as in the first 4 years before, I admit, we imploded big time.... and it was fantastic to watch and very effective.

You can't just jump from one system to the next without having the players in there who can play the new system - it's inevitable that the players are going to slip into 'Wilderball' - which I agree, now is outdated and ineffective - especially when played badly which we are doing. It's been sussed!

I'm very worried about the direction of the club. I pray the fuck I'm wrong, but I don't think Slav has got the real desire to swim against the tide here and turn it around. As has been said, he's stuck with some fucking expensive duds and some old timers on long contracts. He has no real buy in to the club (not knocking him - that's 90% of football managers) so will soon look to make sure his own reputation doesn't get too seriously fucked up. Then we are back into the cycle of ... big name manager come and gone - next please, but less expensive..... less expensive manager gone - next please, but there's nowt left in the budget ........ downward spiral until we find another one of our own.

Last edited:
Slav needs some time, so I'm not going to pile into him. But he hasn't attained 'trust' status either yet for me.
His new recruits are a mixed bag - some great, some not.
His team selections are questionable as too are his substitutions.
His tactics aren't working.

He needs to sort this bag of shite out asap. That is his challenge and he knew that when he took the job on.
I agree he hasn’t achieved anything yet that would earn trust at United. I know trust has to be earned but it also has to be given in good faith at the beginning of a tenure otherwise we are hanging onto driftwood rather than getting into the lifeboat. It is a bag of shite as you say at the moment, but it isn’t a bag of shite that Slav has assembled. That singular accolade goes to Wilder and it was the bag he left behind when he exited via the back door, after having stunk out the whole of last season .

I reckon his new recruits have been pretty good considering the constraints he seems to working under. The problem is the Old Guard that leaves him with options akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic as far as substitutions are concerned. Yes, he knew the task when he took it on, I wonder whether he was fully aware of the lack of funding available (and I understand that COVID and zero crowds had an impact on that). For me, it means the best option is to stick with a tried and tested manager, accept that it’s going to take time, shed the Messiah Syndrome that Blades’ fans understandably seem to have in their DNA following Bassett, Warwick & Wilder and take a deep breath as we go into the the long haul of building a credible, successful and sustainable team.

Business as usual then for us up at Ayesome Park tonight. Can't remember us being lucky at that ground recently anyway (remember that 'offside goal' that never was?) and Warnock marshalled his big old fellers well and simply pushed us aside. Frankly, if we can't put a dent in Warnock and Blackwell's outfit with what is still essentially our Premier League arrangement, we have big fucking problems. This wasn't West Brom buttfucking us four nowt like a few weeks ago. It was us just doing what we have done so well since the lockdown ended and that is deflating like a sad party balloon.

We started okay I thought. First five with what looked like a slightly more robust left side and Enda/Fleck/Osborn playing neat triangles maybe we'd take something out of the game then we let them attack, lost marking and concentration and Watmore curls one over Olsen completely unchallenged. So. Fucking. Easy. After that we just looked clumsy and desperate. Boro even let us have the ball, so confident were they we'd do nowt with it, and we didn't, save for one lovely ball from Baldock right into the inside channel for Ndaiye to run onto and hit the upright with. He deserved more, and did not deserved to be substituted, in fact as he was out greatest threat.

Elsewhere we just looked increasingly pointless and clueless. Sloppy passing, players sitting beside or behind their markers and no one looking up and moving and we got trapped in that crossing zone swamp too many times, fucking about passing, passing, passing trying to find something worthy to get an eventual poor cross in with their defence just drinking it up and asking for more.

I have taken a shitload of flak on 'My take ... ' for my criticisms of various players, particularly Norwood. I say this again. Unless we bleach Chris Wilder out of this side - and that means many of his disciples and signings as well as his style of play which still manifests itself even though we play 4-2-3-1 now - we are stuck in this division, maybe even humiliatingly fighting for a credible place above half way. Tonight showed us all we need to know about the fight that is going on in SJs head. He has a shitload of expensive duds in the side alongside players whose best days are well over and a thin smear of talent in the shape of some loanees. And they are all mostly pre-programmed to do one thing, play Wilderball. He is trying his best to stop them doing it but they still sometimes lose their direction and start playing it again. It's negative, backwards facing, ponderous, easy to overcome and above all else, beatable. As Roy has now declared, all teams have to do is allow us the ball and press us and we cough it up or even when we look brave enough to venture up toward their goal, can't fucking score for toffee. I don't actually count the Peterborough game now because to me, we may as well have played Oldham that day. We scored six against a really shit side and even let two past us. The writing was on the wall for me on Saturday when we struggled like fuck to break down ten man Derby who defended well, but given what we have in playing staff, we still had to rely on a mistake and a converted penalty to get the win.

We have Bournemouth on Saturday. My chance of a ticket for the Vitality has unfortunately fallen through, and there's something inside which makes me unregretful about that, because if we play like we did tonight, we are gonna get sodomised with a four step run up and bone dry, with a cry of 'Geronimo!'

Olsen 5/10: Maybe should have done better for the second. Dived a bit Ramsdale. I am not happy with our 'play it out from the goalkick schtick either
Baldock 5.5/10: Moderate game for him. I think he is still adapting to the role of RB and the different task he has
Davies 5/10: Sixes and sevens for their first goal and a horrifically underhit pass which he managed to rescue. I'm still unconvinced he is the answer
Egan 4.5/10: I still think he struggles in a back four without players he 'knows' alongside him. Tonight he looked ragged and at times, all over the shop in the box
Stevens 5/10: A bit more robust going forward in the first half. Second half was under quite a bit of pressure and is still nowhere near what he used to be
Fleck 2/10: Jimmy's back. He was pretty abject all game to be honest. First five was 'okay' but as the game went on, error prone and dispossessed easily and not progressive enough for anything good to happen
Norwood 2/10: One decent ping which found Osborn in the first half and a few interceptions in the box but was characteristically nowhere when Watmore collected the ball, three steps behind him and watching him do exactly what Norwood himself should be fucking doing
Osborn 5.5/10: He still runs, he still grafts, he still works hard and he still achieves fuck all
Ndaiye 7/10: Our only threat. He works fucking hard and bustles through challenges and runs that inside channel well. Evident by his excellent run across the park to get onto Baldock's pass and hit the post. Bafflingly substituted, unless it was because of his recurring inability to complete ninety, which needs working on
Gibbs-White 4.5/10: Undoubted skill and foresight but tonight wasn't his game and he was outfought on too many occasions
Sharp 3/10: Low mark, because as much as his aged legs tried and his Bladey Heart beat hard, he got fuck all service

McGoldrick 6/10: Showed his undoubted class when he came on, in positioning, passing and power with the half volley. We need more of him.
RND 4/10: Not much of an improvement to be honest and a substitute in an area that wasn't needed at the time
Hourihane 4/10: I am wondering why we signed him now. He's not much of a threat for our midfield and seems a bit lightweight and exposed

Slav 4/10: Warnocked.

pommpey
Sadly I don’t disagree with much that you said. Thought you may have been a tad harsh on Osborn but then again he had a poor second half, so I’m clutching at straws. I was perhaps getting overly optimistic following recent results and hadn’t taken account of the quality of the opposition. Last night was a reality check and we had better improve quickly before the weekend or we’ll be looking at another WBA away score line.

Think we nee

Think we need to transfer list Burke, Freeman, Lowe, Bogle possibly even Brewster and sack the contracts off as failures and recoup what we can to restructure the midfield

pommpey
I agree, but will our finances allow it ? We will know in February !

Sharp got off lightly considering he did nothing. Imagine the scenes if Brewster had played like that. He played better v Hull than Sharp did last night and got a 2.

Once they were in front it was always going to be tough because for all the great approach play, the final balls were hopeless and we were well and truly Warnocked. Cannot understand why Hourihane did not start and by an hour in, it should have been obvious that McBurnie should have been given his chance.

Feel sorry for Slav because on paper and in training it must look good to him that he has picked the right team and tactics to match the opposition but we've got so much inconsistency its almost like throw 11 pieces of buttered toast on the floor and hoping most of them land butter side up. Will Norwood be 20/21 season Norwood or will he be 19/20 Norwood or even 18/19 season Norwood. Its what Pomps said some of them still need to forget last seasons way of playing.

With regards to Olsen I like him but he hasnt got that "trust" feeling yet and for once I just wish he would do a massive kick out of his hands upto Billy to chase just to change it up a bit. Like a few times per match.

same old poisonous players such as stevens, norwood and baldock. when the fuck are we going to get ride of players

Business as usual then for us up at Ayesome Park tonight. Can't remember us being lucky at that ground recently anyway (remember that 'offside goal' that never was?) and Warnock marshalled his big old fellers well and simply pushed us aside. Frankly, if we can't put a dent in Warnock and Blackwell's outfit with what is still essentially our Premier League arrangement, we have big fucking problems. This wasn't West Brom buttfucking us four nowt like a few weeks ago. It was us just doing what we have done so well since the lockdown ended and that is deflating like a sad party balloon.

We started okay I thought. First five with what looked like a slightly more robust left side and Enda/Fleck/Osborn playing neat triangles maybe we'd take something out of the game then we let them attack, lost marking and concentration and Watmore curls one over Olsen completely unchallenged. So. Fucking. Easy. After that we just looked clumsy and desperate. Boro even let us have the ball, so confident were they we'd do nowt with it, and we didn't, save for one lovely ball from Baldock right into the inside channel for Ndaiye to run onto and hit the upright with. He deserved more, and did not deserved to be substituted, in fact as he was out greatest threat.

Elsewhere we just looked increasingly pointless and clueless. Sloppy passing, players sitting beside or behind their markers and no one looking up and moving and we got trapped in that crossing zone swamp too many times, fucking about passing, passing, passing trying to find something worthy to get an eventual poor cross in with their defence just drinking it up and asking for more.

I have taken a shitload of flak on 'My take ... ' for my criticisms of various players, particularly Norwood. I say this again. Unless we bleach Chris Wilder out of this side - and that means many of his disciples and signings as well as his style of play which still manifests itself even though we play 4-2-3-1 now - we are stuck in this division, maybe even humiliatingly fighting for a credible place above half way. Tonight showed us all we need to know about the fight that is going on in SJs head. He has a shitload of expensive duds in the side alongside players whose best days are well over and a thin smear of talent in the shape of some loanees. And they are all mostly pre-programmed to do one thing, play Wilderball. He is trying his best to stop them doing it but they still sometimes lose their direction and start playing it again. It's negative, backwards facing, ponderous, easy to overcome and above all else, beatable. As Roy has now declared, all teams have to do is allow us the ball and press us and we cough it up or even when we look brave enough to venture up toward their goal, can't fucking score for toffee. I don't actually count the Peterborough game now because to me, we may as well have played Oldham that day. We scored six against a really shit side and even let two past us. The writing was on the wall for me on Saturday when we struggled like fuck to break down ten man Derby who defended well, but given what we have in playing staff, we still had to rely on a mistake and a converted penalty to get the win.

We have Bournemouth on Saturday. My chance of a ticket for the Vitality has unfortunately fallen through, and there's something inside which makes me unregretful about that, because if we play like we did tonight, we are gonna get sodomised with a four step run up and bone dry, with a cry of 'Geronimo!'

Olsen 5/10: Maybe should have done better for the second. Dived a bit Ramsdale. I am not happy with our 'play it out from the goalkick schtick either
Baldock 5.5/10: Moderate game for him. I think he is still adapting to the role of RB and the different task he has
Davies 5/10: Sixes and sevens for their first goal and a horrifically underhit pass which he managed to rescue. I'm still unconvinced he is the answer
Egan 4.5/10: I still think he struggles in a back four without players he 'knows' alongside him. Tonight he looked ragged and at times, all over the shop in the box
Stevens 5/10: A bit more robust going forward in the first half. Second half was under quite a bit of pressure and is still nowhere near what he used to be
Fleck 2/10: Jimmy's back. He was pretty abject all game to be honest. First five was 'okay' but as the game went on, error prone and dispossessed easily and not progressive enough for anything good to happen
Norwood 2/10: One decent ping which found Osborn in the first half and a few interceptions in the box but was characteristically nowhere when Watmore collected the ball, three steps behind him and watching him do exactly what Norwood himself should be fucking doing
Osborn 5.5/10: He still runs, he still grafts, he still works hard and he still achieves fuck all
Ndaiye 7/10: Our only threat. He works fucking hard and bustles through challenges and runs that inside channel well. Evident by his excellent run across the park to get onto Baldock's pass and hit the post. Bafflingly substituted, unless it was because of his recurring inability to complete ninety, which needs working on
Gibbs-White 4.5/10: Undoubted skill and foresight but tonight wasn't his game and he was outfought on too many occasions
Sharp 3/10: Low mark, because as much as his aged legs tried and his Bladey Heart beat hard, he got fuck all service

McGoldrick 6/10: Showed his undoubted class when he came on, in positioning, passing and power with the half volley. We need more of him.
RND 4/10: Not much of an improvement to be honest and a substitute in an area that wasn't needed at the time
Hourihane 4/10: I am wondering why we signed him now. He's not much of a threat for our midfield and seems a bit lightweight and exposed

Slav 4/10: Warnocked.

pommpey
A lot of fun reading and mainly accurate, I was at game and McGoldrick was poor and useless as usual, the folk around me who I did not know all said same, trying his stupid flicks, having good runs then refusing to pass and losing ball, four good shooting chances of which he took two, with one admittedly cracking shot that goalie saved. Get him out with Fleck and Norwood.

Back
Top Bottom