Middlesbrough 2 United 0 - report/pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast links and report below

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/id1508158343?i=1000536922258

The Blades’ five game unbeaten run came to an end on Teesside as old foe Neil Warnock picked up a long overdue victory for the home side. Middlesbrough. At a wet and miserable Riverside Stadium, United could not build on recent results and the old failings of inability to deal with basic defending came back to haunt them. At the other end, the Blades created little despite pockets of good football and the home side eased to a regulation victory in the thanks to first half goals from Watmore and McNair.

Jokanovic made one change restoring Enda Stevens to the back line in place of Rhys Norrington Davies with David McGoldrick back on the bench in place of Adlene Guedioura. Sander Berge was still not fit enough to be in the matchday squad.

Boro had Lee Crooks starting after his red card from the weekend was overturned. Slovenian Andraz Sporar started up front for the home side who had a number of Warnock favourites in his match day squad from his days at many of his former clubs.

United began with Stevens well forward and sent a cross over but the ball bounced off a defender and fell for Lumley. Fry then linked with Watmore down the Boro right before United cleared.

The first attempt came from the visitors after Fleck ran forward and linked with Stevens and as the cross came over, Gibbs White laid it back for Ndiaye but his effort lacked power and was straight at the keeper.

Davies then gave the ball away but recovered to make a last-ditch tackle but it was not long before the home side were ahead. Bola had already caused Baldock problems and the winger was allowed to cross leading to the ball dropping for WATMORE and with Davies standing off, the midfielder curled an exquisite shot right into the top corner. It was a great strike and no chance for Olsen but the lack of a challenge in any aspect of the build up was a worry once again.

Stevens was then booked for a late foul and kicked the ball away in the aftermath. Tavernier’s free kick looped just wide.

United finally got up the field when Ndiaye ran away from Tavernier and was cynically chopped down. Norwood’s free kick was awful and blazed miles over the bar. At the other end Watmore headed wide after Norwood had given the ball away.

Middlesbrough continued to look dangerous when they came forward with a more direct approach and whilst United had a lot of the ball, they rarely looked like creating although Osborn got in a good area but his pull back did not fall for anyone and Boro ended up on the attack. This move where United had several passes but could not get close and then the home side breaking to be in the Blades box with two passes summed up the half.

Gibbs White and Ndiaye linked well but Sharp’s shot was weak and straight at the keeper at the near post before Fleck then gave the ball away and Tavernier shot just wide. United continued to have a lot of the ball but it was all in front of the home side who waited for the loose ball or the lack of penetration and then broke away. They were playing on the break but it was more effective.

However, the Blades did have a good chance when Baldock played in Ndiaye whose control may have come off his arm but the game went on and his shot hit the base of the near post. On reflection he could have picked out Osborn who was unmarked.

At the other end Bola continued to give Baldock a torrid time and beat him all ends up and won a corner before an Osborn loose touch almost saw Boro get in again. For all the neat stuff, the errors were creeping in and Sharp had endured a rough half and gave it away again. Boro broke down the left and the cross looped in and with Egan allowing his man to play it back, it was helped on further and MCNAIR smashed a low shot past Olsen. 2-0 on reflection of play and possession was very harsh on United but in terms of goal threat, the home side had looked far more dangerous.

United won a corner that Egan could not quite send into a fellow United player and then after Norwood’s foul, Boro broke again and won another corner. The half time whistle came soon after and a really disappointing performance saw the home team in complete control.

McGoldrick came on for Norwood and the early stages of the second half saw the game mired in midfield and United struggled to make much of a comeback although McGoldrick and Osborn linked well but Sharp’s header was well off target.

Boro had the next attempts again with a lovely ball nearly finding Crooks and then a looping shot went over. McGoldrick and Fleck both lost 50-50’s which summed up United and although Ndiaye broke, Peltier made a great challenge to deny the youngster.

The game approached the hour mark and Boro’s Lumley had still not really been tested all game with the game becoming rather scrappy but the home side still looking the more dangerous but Ndiaye broke well and found Osborn but the pass was too far behind him and the shot was cleared. It was a decent break but the execution in the pass and finish was lacking again.

McGoldrick’s impact had been minimal and his wasteful cross went miles over everyone before Gibbs White’s frustrating night continued as his shot deflected wide after he tried to roll his man. At the other end Boro still were having all the efforts, when Sporar and then Tavernier both had efforts at Olsen and still looked the more likely to score again.

Crooks and Fleck were booked in quick succession for poor tackles before the Scottish midfielder was then maybe fortunate to stay on after another poor challenge soon after. Then Sporar was maybe lucky to get away with a yellow card after he leant his head into Baldock. He was taken off for Ikpeazu soon after. Bamba was the next in the book for a clumsy lunge on Sharp. The free kick was lofted and easily punched away from the keeper.

The game entered the final 15 minutes but United had not shown anything to suggest a comeback was on the cards and it had been really comfortable for the home side. Hourihane came on for Ndiaye and finally United had an effort as decent football saw McGoldrick hit a fierce shot that Lumley flicked over the bar.

Middlesbrough saw off the corner and had a spell in the corner as the game ticked over to 90 minutes. Late on Sharp then had a half chance after a Gibbs White through ball but it was deflected over. The final 4 minutes of stoppage time saw the game peter out and the home side had a deserved victory in a really disappointing night for United.

United – Really underwhelming. Lots of ball but little in the way of clear chances (save Ndiaye hitting the post and McGoldrick with the shot when the game had gone) and I felt it was an easy win in the end for a very average and out of form Boro side. Their defence will not have had many easier games all season. We put them under little to no pressure all game other than one Ndiaye effort first half for all the ball we had. Apart from that, all the chances and dangerous attacks came from Boro. They won the loose stuff and turned us over easy and then went the other way. We did not win enough of the 50-50 and they looked far more like creating and scoring even if it was quite direct stuff. Our passing went wide and rarely went forward – when it did Ndiaye and Osborn had chances to create but this rarely happened. Yes some of the football was pretty but it was pretty pointless with often the final pass or bit being undercooked or lacking conviction.

A lot will talk about them getting it forward quickly or pressing us to turn it over but they scored two excellently taken goals. We never got close to such quality when it mattered. We got in good areas but time after time the final ball was overplayed or loose. Thus, we only had maybe two efforts of note all game, the Ndiaye one and the McGoldrick one. First half we played some nice stuff and at times got into good areas but never showed any quality when it mattered and it took us forever to get deep into their territory. On the contrary they managed to break through us so much easier. We lacked any kind of protection for the defence and on the goal, we do not do enough but they had other chances where the ball dropped and they reacted quicker. I am not sure we showed enough desire or belief to get anything from the game even if you take away the key moments in the two boxes. They closed us down and just brushed us aside way too easily.

I felt these two away games would show how much we had progressed as I felt we had beat 3 poor sides who will be right at the bottom. I was concerned that we are not this fantastic, evolving side some had seen due to the opposition we have faced. Yes, there had been progress but we have played some appalling sides. Whenever we have played anyone who is even half decent, we have struggled. We had lots of ball again but again did nothing to hurt the opposition and at the other end they looked much more dangerous. We can talk about possession all day long but if we cannot defend and never create chances, then we will lose games. I was bored again watching us and after the second went in, like at West Brom, we may as well have come home. There was not real concerted effort to get back into it and not one player actually tried to make things happen. We just sort of gave up and the 2nd half performance was pitiful I felt. I might get knocked for that but we never showed any real attacking intent and Boro looked far more like scoring again until the late McGoldrick effort. I felt we kind of looked like we have up and at never any point did we have a real go. The belief was not there. It just sort of petered out. The lack of anyone getting hold of the ball or making things happen was a worry against such an average side. As I say my take may seem overly negative and maybe it was just a case of so many being off it and when you have so many senior players below bar then you will not get anything.

To me my main concern a lot of this season has been we look a soft touch and so easy to play against when we play physical and stronger sides who are organised. We knock it about and keep it well at times but lack penetration and then teams just go on the break and go at our leaden footed defence. Tonight, I felt we never really looked like scoring, yet they did. All the stuff in between is great but totally pointless if we do not do anything with the ball. It was ponderous and slow again and other than a few moments from Ndiaye and Osborn not sure anyone came out with any credit. We just were not at the races and this seems to be the hallmark of us. We have an ok game, then a poor one and then a decent one. I said a few weeks ago I felt we would be a mid-table side at best and seen nothing to change that after the games against sides who will finish in these areas I believe, Preston and Boro. Unless the senior players can show some consistency and some balls to win the physical stuff against these sort of sides we will lose a lot to teams like this. We may pick off the poorer sides with some of the quality we have but too often percentage sides will just overrun and outfight us and then take advantage of our awful defence who do not react to danger until it is too late. Lots may rave about us having Olsen and say Baldock and Egan are solid but is it really all down to the left side why we have conceded so many goals/chances? Tonight we had Stevens and Davies in and arguably our strongest defence on paper and still Boro got through way too easily. As a unit they are not functioning, maybe lacking protection.

I am still not convinced we have a clear identity in how we are playing and we are relying on Gibbs White, Ndiaye and little triangles probably too much. If either or both or off their game, then what? We have to almost at times score a perfect goal and it is too clever at times. Sometimes we need to turn the opponents round and get the ball into dangerous areas but too often it was in front of them. I felt the subs made us worse and we actually looked less and less dangerous as the game went on. It is just one game but you worry that experienced manager and well drilled sides will just do what they need to, in order to get chances and stop us creating at the other end. It is a concern that a very average side saw us off way too easily.

It will be interesting to see how we cope with a far better side than Boro Saturday, albeit a different kind of side but they have movement, pace and physicality and will be a tough test and we have to play a lot better. Not sure many can come off tonight and be happy with their efforts and too many lost their battles or were sloppy with key moments. We need to bounce back or quickly can be going the other way into the international break. I came away feeling quite downcast. I thought the players had started to get it and realise what this division is about but a team that presses, does the little things and once again we lose rather comfortably.

Ratings:

Olsen 6/10 – Not been a convincing start at all for him since he has come in I have felt but suppose he had little chance with two good shots first half. His kicking and distribution is good and clearly decent with the ball at his feet. Probably wondering what is happening with the defence in front of him all over the place. Made a few routine saves 2nd half but actually did not have too much to do but still was busier than their keeper who made one save all game.

Baldock 5/10 – Had a really going over down that side from Bola who beat him a few times. Nowhere near close enough at times and we saw this on the goal. Good ball to Ndiaye for the chance but overall, not sure he did enough to stop his man who continued to cause him problems. He did get a bit tighter second half but attacking wise we saw very little when he did get forward. Ended up in a skirmish with their forward which saw the Boro player a tad fortunate to stay on.

Stevens 5/10 – Started ok and was well forward and involved. Awful tackle and got booked. Started to struggle a bit after this defensively but most Boro attacks went down the other wide. He became less and less involved attacking wise and then gave another daft foul away. Maybe not fully match fit as he came off on 68 minutes.

Davies 5/10 – Gave it away first few minutes and had to recover it and and on the goal was a long way off his man even if it was a good striker. Just felt we looked really soft down the middle and him and Egan to say they were only playing one out and out striker did not impose themselves. The ball stuck up the top of the pitch too easily. Even 2nd half they had a few breaks and we were too slow to react or cover across. I saw some raving about him at the weekend. He is sloppy and weak for me for all the ball playing skills he may have. We need more solid defensive work and at the moment we are soft down the middle.

Egan 5/10 – They had too many decent balls coming in that we did not deal with. It was too easy as we could not impose ourselves. The 2nd goal was poor as he did not do enough to stop the man controlling it and playing it back. Just too easy. One header from a corner that came back across was the sum of his attacking efforts from set play although these were poor. Towards the end got beat for skill near the corner and also, I felt they managed to get in front of the centre backs way too easy all game to help keep the ball.

Norwood 3.5/10 – Thought he was not at it. Lost the ball, got outmuscled and then when he had it was not very effective. Wayward free kick over the bar and just seemed a long way off where he needed to be. Our midfield had lots of nice little passes but went nowhere. One decent pass to Norwood was all I really recall him doing well. Him or Fleck could have gone at half time as we lacked no penetration, lost the tackles and then when we had it were loose with it. Had a good game Saturday but was completely ineffective tonight.

Fleck 4/10 – Like Norwood thought he was off the pace of the game and got outmuscled and harried it off it. He had one decent run early on but mostly it was short, poor passes or bad touches and not sure enough with possession. We did not quite win enough of the loose stuff and felt desire wise they wanted it more. We just got outmuscled. When we had it not sure any of the midfielders drew men or carried it forward or even played many positive forward passes. Was all sideways stuff. Second half he started fouling and was full stretch and not sure he influence the game at all. Lost count of the amount of loose stuff they came out with it and we never dictated this area of the field. Been better recently but off it completely tonight.

Osborn 6/10 – Thought along with Ndiaye, he was one of our better players to start the game and at least got in, was lively and trying to link. Not sure we saw much end product and twice he had it in good areas but took too long. He then started to give it away and on the 2nd was it his man he was not close enough to maybe? Kept plugging away and lots of effort and had the one shot when he was played in but was sent too wide. He never hides and ones of few who at least competed I felt.

Gibbs White 5/10 – Not a great game Saturday and tonight I thought he was off it again which is worrying after a good start. Did not seem to make much of an impact attacking sense and too many flicks and tricks did not come off. Not sure he was that involved at all and game just passed him by. Had one shot deflected wide but little really happened for him and even when he was on the ball, it sort of never really led to anything positive happening. He also does not get back and do the defensive stuff. Baldock was horribly exposed at times.

Ndiaye 6/10 – Our best player first half. One run where he was chopped down, a few other bits and pieces and then the outstanding chance with a lovely run across the line. He probably should have passed but it was a decent effort. He was the one player trying to run at them and make them have to turn. He continued to be a threat at times early part of 2nd half and was surprised he went off – seemed an odd sub as he had been our best player but I suppose he too had faded by the point. Miles better than many of the senior players alongside him.

Sharp 2.5/10 – Had a nightmare. Been one of our shining lights in the recent run but you do wonder whether he can do 2 games a week every week. Gave it away, was not the energetic self he has been and got outmuscled. Not sure anything came off for him at all. Other than one late hack from Bamba, the centre half completely outplayed him from start to finish. Did not hold it up, tossed it away and had one two poor efforts at goal. How he stayed on I am not sure?

Subs –

McGoldrick 6/10 – Tried to get on it but not sure this change actually improved us and for me if anything he should have come on for Sharp. We seemed to lose our shape and there were big gaps in midfield and it became ragged. At least he tried to get involved. The game became scrappy and he was not really able to influence things. Did have one late decent shot but too often he slowed it down when he had it. Not sure where he fits in this side at all.

Norrington Davies – Tried to get down the left but still to see him properly beat his man or even really get to the byline. Defensively he struggles with pace/movement and we saw that a bit again when they broke. I expect Stevens to retain his place for a period now.

Hourihane - Came on and sent a corner behind. Barely saw him apart from that did little in the brief time he was on. Odd change. Surely, he needed McBurnie to give them something different to think about?

Jokanovic 4/10 – Some nice neat football but never really looked like scoring and the other end we gave away chances and goals. We looked like we lacked spark and I think on reflection he might have wished he had made more changes from the start. The midfield looked leggy and Sharp was wretched. Maybe he needed to use the squad more but easy to say in hindsight? The subs did not work and actually saw us look even less likely to score. I would have thrown McBurnie and Brewster on. They have not been great when they have played but Sharp and Gibbs White were not in the game. Try something different. Norrington Davies and Hourihane were just pointless changes and are not going to affect games particularly attacking wise I feel.

Middlesbrough – Warnock came in at the end of the 19-20 season and did what he normally does. He got them away from trouble and kept them up. Last season they flirted with the playoffs a few times but in the end finished mid table but had made progress despite him not having the funds/squad other Boro managers have had. Most fans seemed broadly in favour of him with his honest, no-nonsense approach and he got the best out of what he had. His penchant for bringing old players continued with lads from QPR/Rotherham/Cardiff (Lumley, Crooks, Bamba, Peltier) arriving and he has lost some talent going out the door. He also took a chance on players like Ikpeazu and Ameobi who had always showed promise but never really kicked on. Sporar and Payero are players that are not typical Warnock types but then he has had lads like that such as Taarabt at QPR. They started the season ok but have really trailed off and his rants against referee’s seem to be every week now. The fans seem a bit tired of the style of play and they do not seem to have a plan for the future with a mixture of experience players with a few young lads. I look at the side and I see a team that will do well to finish much higher than mid table. Maybe they will get rid of Warnock if they struggle but I actually think the type of player he has means it will be even harder if they move NW on as he is a motivator and man manager and many of these lads are not really going to do much better under another manager or really play a different type of style. McNair, Howson, Fry, Hall and Crooks are all the solid non nonsense players who are just steady Championship performers. I do not see them being anywhere near the bottom but lack the goals or quality to threaten the playoffs I feel.

Warnock will be 73 in a few months and clearly, he is not going to be around for long. Gibson does not seem to be throwing the cash like he was before and they seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. Whenever I watch games, the crowds seem quite poor and they seem a long way from the side from 10-15 years ago that was a regular in the Premier League. Indeed, other than one season in 2016, they have been stuck in this league now for 12 years which seems remarkable as it does not seem long since they were in the top flight and sort of established back in Southgate and McClaren’s days.

Today they scored two good goals and at times looked dangerous. They won a lot of 50-50’s and competed well. They pressed us high when they could and even when we broke this, we normally ran out of ideas and they were then able to break. They kind of played like an away side but it worked as when they broke, they looked like scoring. Their physical players won the loose bits and pieces and the defence coped with our strikers fairly comfortably in the end. It was a routine win and they managed the second half easily. They have a lot of very ordinary players but were organised enough to see off our ‘nice but ineffectual’ football and the only real moments of quality in front of goal came from them (apart from the McGoldrick shot).

Opponent Man of the Match – Probably won 8 or 9 out of 11 battles and in the end you could take your pick. Samba got it and Bola was good down the left but I thought Watmore was the stand out on the field scoring a great goal and technically looking better than anything else out there.

Opponent Weak link – I thought the striker Sporar was not in it really and he was lucky not to get sent off for raising his head but the rest of the side were solid.

Referee/Officials – James Linington. Not a name I have heard of but been around the Football League for a while. From the Isle of Wight, so quite a trek for every game! Booked 6 players (4 for them and 2 for us). Most actually were bookings and he maybe even could have sent Sporar off for them and possibly Fleck for us – Stevens also got a bit daft after being booked. The game itself was easy to referee though. There was a possible offside on the 2nd goal but a lot happened after that. I am not sure there were any hugely significant decisions that changed the game. I saw some being critical of the referee but I am not sure he can be held responsible for our ineffectual play at both ends of the field.

Running Billy into the ground twice a week at 36 is not a good idea, but I don’t see what other options there are with the shit that’s been left behind by the previous regime..

Clearly with the team selected for the first game of the season Slav thought all out pace up top was the answer with Burke and Mousett.. but this was scuppered early on with Mousett being made of popadoms and Burke not being a footballer. Plan B seemed to be Didsy behind Sharp, again scuppered by what looks like Didsy finally hitting the wall in his career. Plan C was Ndiaye and MGW behind Sharp which has worked recently but can’t be done Saturday / Tuesday week in week out as Billy isn’t up to that anymore.

We are going to have to struggle through to the JTW and maybe use Macburnie and Brewster even though Slav clearly (and correctly imo) doesn’t rate them.

Harsh on Sharp Otherwise, I'm slightly more generous. He was poor but not Norwood poor. Norwood was literally marked out the game!

Matt Crooks not Lee Crooks!

I have known Matt since he was little. His dad played in the same team as me at Monchengladbach in 1983 and he had tea at my house (his partner came too) after we played Scunthorpe in 2017. Matt's mum and her 2nd husband are friends of mine. She was 4 years below me at my boarding school.

I have known Matt since he was little. His dad played in the same team as me at Monchengladbach in 1983 and he had tea at my house (his partner came too) after we played Scunthorpe in 2017. Matt's mum and her 2nd husband are friends of mine. She was 4 years below me at my boarding school.

What did you have for tea? If you are going to tell a story you can't skim over the key facts.

Sharp seemed to give the ball away literally every time he had it. The 2nd goal came from such a moment. Bamba dominated him from start to finish. Love Billy but he was woeful tonight.

“Norwood 3.5/10 – Thought he was not at it. Lost the ball, got outmuscled and then when he had it was not very effective. Wayward free kick over the bar and just seemed a long way off where he needed to be. Our midfield had lots of nice little passes but went nowhere. One decent pass to Norwood was all I really recall him doing well. “

Telling that the only thing Norwood did well all night was pass it to himself ;)

Cheers for the report deadbat!

Thanks for the report, I usually score a bit more positive than you, but tonight I think you have been slightly generous even!
Watmore was a brilliant pick up by Warnock, obviously prem class but mega serious injury issues. Annoying that he scored against us but a decent story that he has come back to a decent level.
One thing that struck me is Warnock is a bit like Fat Sam now with his seemingly huge retinue of trusted sidekicks and hangers on (Blackwell, Jepson, the goalie coach from Worksop who used to play for us etc etc). That big a staff cant come cheap. They were well organised side but basic and are obviously not going to finish their chances as well as they did tonight for the rest of the season. (3 chances 2 goals)
Warnock is a good man manager but as we found out clueless tactically and a bit defensive, SJ needs to take a long hard look at himself for tonight as well as his team, that he was so easily outwitted and out managed. Its almost like he doesnt do any research or preparation or doesnt care what the opposition do. That's okay if you are peak Man City/Fergies Man U/Liverpool of the 1980s etc but surely we need to have a plan b and C for the times when it doesnt work. They didn't break sweat and we did nothing to change that.

Running Billy into the ground twice a week at 36 is not a good idea, but I don’t see what other options there are with the shit that’s been left behind by the previous regime..

Clearly with the team selected for the first game of the season Slav thought all out pace up top was the answer with Burke and Mousett.. but this was scuppered early on with Mousett being made of popadoms and Burke not being a footballer. Plan B seemed to be Didsy behind Sharp, again scuppered by what looks like Didsy finally hitting the wall in his career. Plan C was Ndiaye and MGW behind Sharp which has worked recently but can’t be done Saturday / Tuesday week in week out as Billy isn’t up to that anymore.

We are going to have to struggle through to the JTW and maybe use Macburnie and Brewster even though Slav clearly (and correctly imo) doesn’t rate them.
This is actually true , so pass me the cutthroat razor now + I'll end my season here & now.
Because really , we are going nowhere fast.

We last won at Boro in 1997-8. We've won twice there in 16 attempts in my lifetime. On virtually every visit we are outplayed and outmuscled and never look like scoring. I think a Jags penalty is the only goal we've scored there this century.

So I half-expected nothing, and got it. My word of the night is "insipid". Some nice football, but ineffective against a team who played, on the whole, with more power and purpose. We hardly ever looked like scoring.

The defence really does look very weak at times. Sort of going through the motions on both goals, well taken though they were. I felt we played into their hands early on. There was far too much purposeless possession at the back, allowing them to press us easily and dictate the way the half went.

I am yet to be convinced by Davies.

Sharp and Norwood had very bad days at the office. Ndiaye a bit unlucky not to score. Good effort from Didzy but generally I didn't think he did that well.

I still think we will finish 8th. there are a lot of bad teams in this league and we will beat most of them but that's the sort of game a top 6 team gets points out of. People talk about Bournemouth not being as physical but they have some strong midfielders and we need to avoid getting bullied again on saturday.

Thought the pod was very good. my only criticism - too short.

Seriously, re the pod, I feel bad about criticising content that people put together and offer for free, but I gather that Deadbat and Webding saw my shoutbox rant about long podcasts, so I will amplify here.

I have noticed in the last year or so (and I suspect that the lockdown has had a lot to do with this) that with a few honourable exceptions the length of my favourite podcasts has gone up, and up, and up, so what used to be 40 mins in now an hour, and what was an hour is now 80 to 90 mins. Regrettably, this increase in length more often than not does not lead to an increase in quality: there's just a lot more waffle. In my experience, the longer a pod runs over an hour, the worse it becomes. And in a crowded market, you have to become choosy. For the first time ever, I did not complete one of the episodes for one of the United podcasts I listen to this week, as (i) I had already heard 2 other pods talk about the same game in less time and (ii) other stuff I listen to was also of epic length this week.

I do wonder whether the way to do it is to decide how long you want to speak for, decide what you want to say in that time, say it, and then shut up. There are exceptions to this rule - season reviews, or interviews, say - but otherwise I think less can be more.

I might also add that the various Blades podcasts are by no means the worst offenders. The Price of Football has some great material and is required listening if you are interested in football business but the listening experience has really fallen in recent months. For every 5 mins of interesting content there's 3 minutes of Kevin Day waffling on about Kieran Maguire's dog. It's becoming unlistenable.

Feel free to ignore my views but it is a trend I have noticed that I don't care for and I thought I owed you a proper explanation.

Seriously, re the pod, I feel bad about criticising content that people put together and offer for free, but I gather that Deadbat and Webding saw my shoutbox rant about long podcasts, so I will amplify here.

I have noticed in the last year or so (and I suspect that the lockdown has had a lot to do with this) that with a few honourable exceptions the length of my favourite podcasts has gone up, and up, and up, so what used to be 40 mins in now an hour, and what was an hour is now 80 to 90 mins. Regrettably, this increase in length more often than not does not lead to an increase in quality: there's just a lot more waffle. In my experience, the longer a pod runs over an hour, the worse it becomes. And in a crowded market, you have to become choosy. For the first time ever, I did not complete one of the episodes for one of the United podcasts I listen to this week, as (i) I had already heard 2 other pods talk about the same game in less time and (ii) other stuff I listen to was also of epic length this week.

I do wonder whether the way to do it is to decide how long you want to speak for, decide what you want to say in that time, say it, and then shut up. There are exceptions to this rule - season reviews, or interviews, say - but otherwise I think less can be more.

I might also add that the various Blades podcasts are by no means the worst offenders. The Price of Football has some great material and is required listening if you are interested in football business but the listening experience has really fallen in recent months. For every 5 mins of interesting content there's 3 minutes of Kevin Day waffling on about Kieran Maguire's dog. It's becoming unlistenable.

Feel free to ignore my views but it is a trend I have noticed that I don't care for and I thought I owed you a proper explanation.

As ever, no offence taken (or meant- hopefully you realise by now that if something I said could be taken as arsey or a joke, it was almost certainly a joke).

We never have a deadline unless DB has to be in bed… and even then it’s more “let’s make this one quick” rather than setting any targets. I genuinely don’t even time it (and rarely even look at the clock when we start) so have little idea how long we’ve gone on until Zoom has saved it. We try (and maybe sometime fail) to not waffle and just say what we want to say, however long it takes, or quickly it’s done. That’s the same for the specials too; no real plans.

I generally agree with you though. Back when were in the pub, it was a 10-15 minute limit, 20 tops. God knows what will happen if we ever make it back there, but as we do it now, I think the preferred length (wahey, etc) is about 40-60 mins, depending on how much has happened and what there is to talk about.

Can't disagree with much of that Deaders, I think I'd give MGW a mark higher though. Certainly didn't think the game passed him by.

Can't disagree with much of that Deaders, I think I'd give MGW a mark higher though. Certainly didn't think the game passed him by.
One thing to like about Ndiaye and MGW is that even when they don't hit the heights of their first game and things aren't going well for them they keep hustling and trying. That's nice to see.

Good report and fair scores Deadbat overall it was a 4/10 performance by the team and manager. It's not doom and gloom as we're allowed to lose the odd game in 6 but if we go into the international break off the back of 2 losses it becomes a bit more worrying (again).

He'd have been criticised for changing a winning team if he'd have made widespread changes to the starting 11 (Enda for RND I assume to give RND a game off and Stevens a chance to claim LB for his own, which he didn't!) but it really was obvious that if they press us then certain players would struggle and playing Sharp for a 6th consecutive game leads to diminishing returns.

As said on other threads, we have £40m of strikers who couldn't even get on the pitch in front of a LB and a CDM so it shows what the manager thinks of them, we need to get rid in January or start playing them if they're any good (not convinced they are). Sandra is also now a waste of a wage as he's been fit for about 3 games in the last 20, even the apologists must see the issue here.

Pretty down today having watched that but fingers crossed we show a bit more fight at the weekend and get something from the game, I'd take a point now.

Thanks for the report, I usually score a bit more positive than you, but tonight I think you have been slightly generous even!
Watmore was a brilliant pick up by Warnock, obviously prem class but mega serious injury issues. Annoying that he scored against us but a decent story that he has come back to a decent level.
One thing that struck me is Warnock is a bit like Fat Sam now with his seemingly huge retinue of trusted sidekicks and hangers on (Blackwell, Jepson, the goalie coach from Worksop who used to play for us etc etc). That big a staff cant come cheap. They were well organised side but basic and are obviously not going to finish their chances as well as they did tonight for the rest of the season. (3 chances 2 goals)
Warnock is a good man manager but as we found out clueless tactically and a bit defensive, SJ needs to take a long hard look at himself for tonight as well as his team, that he was so easily outwitted and out managed. Its almost like he doesnt do any research or preparation or doesnt care what the opposition do. That's okay if you are peak Man City/Fergies Man U/Liverpool of the 1980s etc but surely we need to have a plan b and C for the times when it doesnt work. They didn't break sweat and we did nothing to change that.
Exactly what I was thinking watching it last night.

There were 3 of our outfield players on the pitch last night that are 6 foot or more (all defenders), yet our main tactic seemed to be trying to getting crosses in.

I thought Crooks would have been a good free signing for us, he's a decent player who puts plenty of effort in.

I'm not convinced with Davies he might be tidy with the ball but to me he is as weak as piss for a centre back. I don't see him as a big improvement on Jack Robinson surely it would be better to shuffle Egan to the left and bring in Basham. The summer recruitment is not looking as good as it did a few weeks ago. Maybe the Prince had it right when he said Ndiaye was our best signing

One thing to like about Ndiaye and MGW is that even when they don't hit the heights of their first game and things aren't going well for them they keep hustling and trying. That's nice to see.
Absolutely. MGW's attitude for a loan player is genuinely brilliant.

I'm not convinced with Davies he might be tidy with the ball but to me he is as weak as piss for a centre back. I don't see him as a big improvement on Jack Robinson surely it would be better to shuffle Egan to the left and bring in Basham. The summer recruitment is not looking as good as it did a few weeks ago. Maybe the Prince had it right when he said Ndiaye was our best signing
I'm not sure that Davies is the problem in that combination. For me, there are serious question marks over Egan's ability to both play in a two and be the dominant centre half. We've been a soft touch since O'Connell got injured.

Agree with most of that.

The second half felt worryingly like last season.... I found myself drifting off while watching it sat in my living room bored shitless, while United failed to muster anything in an empty stadium.

Pretty much as I saw it. I think we are a mid table side who will beat most of the poorer teams struggle against the better ones while games like last night could go either way. Top 6 is still not impossible but the same could be said about half the teams in the division. We could have got something last night but the goals came just at the right time for Boro. The first stopped us taking control of the game and the second effectively ended it as a contest. Both goals although good finishes highlighted our defensive weaknesses. Our defenders do not anticipate the danger and never get in front of their man and attack the ball. This coupled with a lack of physicality all over the pitch means that you fear conceding almost every time the opposition get the ball in our half.

I thought there would have been a few more changes last night. We have a big squad and need to utilise it more particularly when we have midweek games. Some of our play was good but we need to find a way of making it more effective. We hardly work the keeper in many games despite the large amount of possession. I can see what Slav is trying to do but we are a few key players short to make it work (Dominant Centre Half, Ball winning / defensive midfielder / wide midfielder/wingers)

All in all not a disaster but kind of summed up where we are at the moment.

That's a really good point about Slav and his teams preparation regarding the opposition. As you say there doesn't seem to be any.

Pretty much as I saw it. I think we are a mid table side who will beat most of the poorer teams struggle against the better ones while games like last night could go either way. Top 6 is still not impossible but the same could be said about half the teams in the division. We could have got something last night but the goals came just at the right time for Boro. The first stopped us taking control of the game and the second effectively ended it as a contest. Both goals although good finishes highlighted our defensive weaknesses. Our defenders do not anticipate the danger and never get in front of their man and attack the ball. This coupled with a lack of physicality all over the pitch means that you fear conceding almost every time the opposition get the ball in our half.

I thought there would have been a few more changes last night. We have a big squad and need to utilise it more particularly when we have midweek games. Some of our play was good but we need to find a way of making it more effective. We hardly work the keeper in many games despite the large amount of possession. I can see what Slav is trying to do but we are a few key players short to make it work (Dominant Centre Half, Ball winning / defensive midfielder / wide midfielder/wingers)

All in all not a disaster but kind of summed up where we are at the moment.
I thought Guadioura was a ball winning, defensive midfielder

I'm not sure that Davies is the problem in that combination. For me, there are serious question marks over Egan's ability to both play in a two and be the dominant centre half. We've been a soft touch since O'Connell got injured.

I think we all know Egan isn't a dominant centre half and I'm sure he's never claimed to be one either. He's a mop up centre half, which is fine, so long as he has a JOC, Morgan, et al alongside.

The only way Egan and Davies can play effectively in the same defence is in a three with a big centre half as the third defender in there.

We last won at Boro in 1997-8. We've won twice there in 16 attempts in my lifetime. On virtually every visit we are outplayed and outmuscled and never look like scoring. I think a Jags penalty is the only goal we've scored there this century.

So I half-expected nothing, and got it. My word of the night is "insipid". Some nice football, but ineffective against a team who played, on the whole, with more power and purpose. We hardly ever looked like scoring.

The defence really does look very weak at times. Sort of going through the motions on both goals, well taken though they were. I felt we played into their hands early on. There was far too much purposeless possession at the back, allowing them to press us easily and dictate the way the half went.

I am yet to be convinced by Davies.

Sharp and Norwood had very bad days at the office. Ndiaye a bit unlucky not to score. Good effort from Didzy but generally I didn't think he did that well.

I still think we will finish 8th. there are a lot of bad teams in this league and we will beat most of them but that's the sort of game a top 6 team gets points out of. People talk about Bournemouth not being as physical but they have some strong midfielders and we need to avoid getting bullied again on saturday.

Thought the pod was very good. my only criticism - too short.
Spot on. My first visit there was 86, my first ever United game and we won 2-1. There were about 50 United fans there!! Next game a 6-0 defeat under Bassett. The only decent one was the 3-3 draw but even then I was pissed off as we were winning 3-1. Hate playing em.

Spot on. My first visit there was 86, my first ever United game and we won 2-1. There were about 50 United fans there!! Next game a 6-0 defeat under Bassett. The only decent one was the 3-3 draw but even then I was pissed off as we were winning 3-1. Hate playing em.

Went to that one in 86, if I remember correctly it pissed it down all night (Tuesday night game), stood on that open corner. Did Peter Withe slide home the winner? The Saturday after was the infamous Norwich home defeat when Porterfield left/was pushed??

My first time up there was the season before, in 84/85, lost 1-0, Can anyone remember "United hate yellow trousers"? If you were there you'll know!

Went to the 6-0 hammering, the 3-3, plus the top flight 2-0 defeat in 92 and our last game at Ayresome Park in '95. 1-1 draw, I think Jan-Aga might have scored for them.

Went to that one in 86, if I remember correctly it pissed it down all night (Tuesday night game), stood on that open corner. Did Peter Withe slide home the winner? The Saturday after was the infamous Norwich home defeat when Porterfield left/was pushed??

My first time up there was the season before, in 84/85, lost 1-0, Can anyone remember "United hate yellow trousers"? If you were there you'll know!

Went to the 6-0 hammering, the 3-3, plus the top flight 2-0 defeat in 92 and our last game at Ayresome Park in '95. 1-1 draw, I think Jan-Aga might have scored for them.
Yep, the 1986 game was Porterfields last win and he was sacked the Saturday night.

I was not there but remember listening to the updates on Radio Hallam. The impression given was that Boro dominated the game but were thwarted by a superb display by John Burridge. Strange days indeed.

Back
Top Bottom