Could going down be such a bad thing ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From a personal point of view ,the reason I follow Utd ,apart from it being a lifelong family tradition ,is I get to meet up with my mates ,travel the country ,have plenty to drink and watch Utd hopefully win. I dont go to watch the opposition ,of course I want us to do well and the pinnacle for me is seeing us in Europe ,but I would take a good win at Bristol Rovers over a 1-0 defeat due to Var at West ham any day of the week. Going to Qpr is just as much fun as going to Arsenal ,going to Preston is more fun than going to Man City. Of course I want us to go up again ,but I would prefer the variety ,rather than being like Palace ,perennial strugglers , just making up the numbers as fodder for the money making racket called the premier league. Leeds away and Hull away were better than anything the premier league gave us.

I am honestly not that arsed. Ive hated the prem as much as I did last time. Its not proper football , diving , cheating VAR ,big time charlies ,glory hunting fans ,it was good last season to try the new stadiums ,but we seemed to be in London every week ,cost a fortune. One season down ,regroup ,enjoy the excitement and winning ,Colin Murray instead of that cunt Lineker , Saturday games. Not the end of the world.
Nail on head ,the game is unrecognisable looking back just 20 yrs....its become a pantomime .
I'm pretty sure 90% of old school lads just go out of habit and to have a day with the lads...The match gas become secondary for me ....
Ahhh he definitely touched me .......
Cheating diving fairies lot of them

I'd be very surprised if Berge stayed. And Burke, exciting youngster? He's had more false starts than a Morris Marina in his career, but to be fair he has shown that he has a bit of something for us.

Big year for McB and Brewster next year. Hopefully they can build up some momentum.
Berge can go for me ,he's not what we need .In a few years he will look at us as a shit stain on his career

Nail on head ,the game is unrecognisable looking back just 20 yrs....its become a pantomime .
I'm pretty sure 90% of old school lads just go out of habit and to have a day with the lads...The match gas become secondary for me ....
Ahhh he definitely touched me .......
Cheating diving fairies lot of them
The match gas :D I dont miss that.

I'm with Deadbat on this. Only other thing I want to add is that we've a poor record on bouncing straight back. 14, 12 and 12 years on the 3 occasions since 1976.

in the first 87 years of our history we spent 56 seasons in Division 1. With 10 years lost to War that's 56 out 77. We did that with a 3 sided ground.

We've done 6 out of last 45 seasons in top Division since then. Without sounding like the deluded across the City we should aspire for more.

It bothers me not
I'm used to what we think of as being "good times" bein those in the higher end of the second division, and I'm not that keen on all the bollocks in the PL.
What I do hope for is the we are in the higher end of the second division!

Being a Yo Yo club is better than being forever shit PL standard.
Several of my former work mates were West Brom fans when they literally went up or down every year (battle of Bramall Lane days) and they actively liked it - its excitin!
I can agree with this ! We won’t ever become established and I remember speaking to a Stoke fan the season they went down. Stoke to me had become established after 10 years or so but managed to drop quite comfortably. He didn’t care, 10th in the Premier League wins you nothing and the life had been sucked out of the club in his words.

I did want a couple of survival seasons for us, as they can be just as emotive and exciting as promotion.

In a perverse kind of way, the way we have gone down is probably better than the way we did in 2007/08. There’s not that massive disappointment over one game, albeit I’d have preferred it to have happened in 2023/24 !

The worse thing that can happen for a relegated club is for the fans to have turned apathetic or arrogant

So we are fucked

Of course there are things that will be a positive of going down....

No VAR, Saturday 3pm KOs, less diving/cheating, worldwide fans who actually have never even been to a game and biased one eyedmedua coverage etc BUT....

I’ll make a prediction....with no VAR our fans will be going mad about obvious bad decisions....every week.

I don’t understand the logic....VAR isn’t correct 100% of the time.....it’s only 99% accurate regards correct decisions
So let’s go back to no VAR where only 80% of decisions are correct because “you win some you lose some“.

VAR is much better this season compared to last season...it’s improving all the time. The only downside of VAR is the lack of confidence for fans celebrating goals.....agree that’s a big negative....but surely it’s a small price to pay to ensure decisions are correct and fair.

No one really talks about the advantages of VAR regards the lack of cheating and the massive improvement regards respect and intimidation of officials.
Notice how no one fakes off the ball incidents anymore.....players now know it’s all caught on camera.
Notice how hardly any players crowd the ref anymore or insist he’s made a terrible error.
The players know that all controversial decisions are checked so must be correct.

Regards cheating the only issue in the game at PL level is the black and white nature of VAR.
They look for contact...then often it means a penalty....there’s little consideration regards whether contact was strong enough to be classed as a foul.

Anyhow my point is.....next season....I‘m predicting there will be complaints about refs every single week.
You will hear cries of “why can’t there be VAR in the Championship”.

Regards going down....the financial implications are so big....that’s it’s difficult to imagine it can be a positive.

Can I ask the people on here who say they'd rather be in the Championship, what are you actually aiming for in the football club? Would you rather us come midtable every season in the Championship because that's your favourite leave/day out whatever. How are we going to progress with a mentality like that?

The whole reason you exist as a football club is to be at the top otherwise the whole league system is a waste of time, please think before you say "I'd rather be in the Championship" it has no weight behind the statement at all. It makes you just sound salty because we are probably going to be in that league the next season.

Can I ask the people on here who say they'd rather be in the Championship, what are you actually aiming for in the football club? Would you rather us come midtable every season in the Championship because that's your favourite leave/day out whatever. How are we going to progress with a mentality like that?

The whole reason you exist as a football club is to be at the top otherwise the whole league system is a waste of time, please think before you say "I'd rather be in the Championship" it has no weight behind the statement at all. It makes you just sound salty because we are probably going to be in that league the next season.
There’s a big difference between wanting to go down (which I don’t)and seeing some benefits IF we go down.
I will enjoy seeing us score more and win more (hopefully) and to seeing young players develop, which are unlikely to happen if we stay up.

I'd rather United were perennial Premier League strugglers than stuck in the Championship or worse missing out on Premier League revenue post-covid, so yes relegation could be a very bad thing for the club. Hopefully crowds will be back at the Lane next season to give the lads a boost as they go for promotion.

It’s not a good thing we are going down but it certainly isn’t the end of the world. It gives us chance to access what went wrong and also get some confidence back by winning games.
I understand it isn’t a given we will come straight back but the championship isn’t strong at the moment and is only going to get weaker because of the lack of money swilling about. If anyone has any doubt they should watch a couple of championship games to see this. The one in midweek between Stoke and Wednesday was dreadful. I would say it is the best time to go down in the sense that teams are struggling financially.
Hold out nerve keep the management team together and we will be back I am sure of this.

I could only be arsed to search for threads with relegation in the title.

I have had a look at the whole thread. No one is actually saying that relegation is a good thing as Revolution claims. They were trying to think of the positives playing in the lower division rather than saying relegation is a good thing.

My best seasons of watching the Blades have been in the top division or promotion to the top tier. I hated us being in the 3rd or 4th tier and I cringe when some say that 1981-82 was their best season.

Yes as the owners have taken all the money from our premiership reign to purchase the club.

No infrastructure has changed so we have nothing to show for our time in the PL
Apart from the new training facilities currently being built 🙈😂

From a personal point of view ,the reason I follow Utd ,apart from it being a lifelong family tradition ,is I get to meet up with my mates ,travel the country ,have plenty to drink and watch Utd hopefully win. I dont go to watch the opposition ,of course I want us to do well and the pinnacle for me is seeing us in Europe ,but I would take a good win at Bristol Rovers over a 1-0 defeat due to Var at West ham any day of the week. Going to Qpr is just as much fun as going to Arsenal ,going to Preston is more fun than going to Man City. Of course I want us to go up again ,but I would prefer the variety ,rather than being like Palace ,perennial strugglers , just making up the numbers as fodder for the money making racket called the premier league. Leeds away and Hull away were better than anything the premier league gave us.
This for me too. I'd have preferred to have had a few seasons in the premier (so overall I wanted us to stay up), to at least confirm I was tired of being cannon fodder. But life will be good in the Championship, even in SUFC aren't :)

It’s not a good thing we are going down but it certainly isn’t the end of the world. It gives us chance to access what went wrong and also get some confidence back by winning games.
I understand it isn’t a given we will come straight back but the championship isn’t strong at the moment and is only going to get weaker because of the lack of money swilling about. If anyone has any doubt they should watch a couple of championship games to see this. The one in midweek between Stoke and Wednesday was dreadful. I would say it is the best time to go down in the sense that teams are struggling financially.
Hold out nerve keep the management team together and we will be back I am sure of this.
good post and although its dissapointing to be going out of the premier league i dont think its totally unexpected by the club that its happening we havent broken the bank with salaries and have brought young players in with resale value i fancy us strongly to be top 6 next season the championship is a poor league just now

l do not understand how any true supporter can say they prefer being in the championship rather than the prem. Every year the gap between the two divisions gets wider & wider. We are already at a point where we can barely compete in the top league even 1/2 seasons out of it makes it harder. I would much rather finish 17th in the prem every year even if it means we lose more than we win, then not be in it.

For the first time in my lifetime we have ambitious owners who will reinvest the money we make in to the infrastructure of the club that will make it a better club and once we have that in place i.e. training facilities, recruitment, brand awareness etc, we will be a better proposition for future investors and then slowly start improving league positions.

Finally this might get me some abuse, but l am not from Sheffield and as a Surrey boy mixing with fellow blades at matches my opinion is that blades from Sheffield are a very negative breed and almost brow beaten by everything and instead of enjoying the good times some supporters ( classic example- FMBlade) almost cant wait for it to go bad and take a perverse delight in it. Rant over.

Premiership football is great, all the suck ass shit that accompanies it makes me hate it. It’s all geared up for those in top 6.

The shite football influencer bollocks that’s getting thrown out there and ex footballers in turtle necks and loafers with no socks talking about potential transfers makes me vomit.

Any division PL or below, I want to be at a ground, home or away,Saturday at 3 and Tuesday at 7:45. To talk about players playing football not how much they cost and supporting a club that has an identity, not one that has more fans globally than the city they play footy in

I am honestly not that arsed. Ive hated the prem as much as I did last time. Its not proper football , diving , cheating VAR ,big time charlies ,glory hunting fans ,it was good last season to try the new stadiums ,but we seemed to be in London every week ,cost a fortune. One season down ,regroup ,enjoy the excitement and winning ,Colin Murray instead of that cunt Lineker , Saturday games. Not the end of the world.
Sitwell my thoughts exactly kicking off on god knows what day and time, and media doesn't give a toss after 6th position. I hate the PL same as you but sadly it's where the money is as it's shown with no crowds, it galls me when players like Bale on 600k a week the fan is no one now it's not the game I grew up with especially.

l do not understand how any true supporter can say they prefer being in the championship rather than the prem. Every year the gap between the two divisions gets wider & wider. We are already at a point where we can barely compete in the top league even 1/2 seasons out of it makes it harder. I would much rather finish 17th in the prem every year even if it means we lose more than we win, then not be in it.

For the first time in my lifetime we have ambitious owners who will reinvest the money we make in to the infrastructure of the club that will make it a better club and once we have that in place i.e. training facilities, recruitment, brand awareness etc, we will be a better proposition for future investors and then slowly start improving league positions.

Finally this might get me some abuse, but l am not from Sheffield and as a Surrey boy mixing with fellow blades at matches my opinion is that blades from Sheffield are a very negative breed and almost brow beaten by everything and instead of enjoying the good times some supporters ( classic example- FMBlade) almost cant wait for it to go bad and take a perverse delight in it. Rant over.

I don't want us to go down, but the actual matchday experience around going to matches consistently at 3pm on a Saturday and on midweek evenings as opposed to watching us on Sky at 12:30 on a Sunday is better to do.

The thing is and I'm sorry but football is to be kicked off Saturday 3pm and Tuesday 7:45 used to be 7:30pm many years ago. Everything in PL is geared up round Liverpoo, Man Ure, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal & god knows why Spuds.

The rest don't matter okay one or 2 may have the audacity to spoil the party and get in top 6 but it's rare, the PL would be better if we let them 6 fuck off and have a new PL but then what would Lineker have to wank off about.

I can't go now but used to love Saturday meet up few beers in Sportsman, or Cricketers and such meet the lads good craic; now we kick off when the TV companies tell us to, talk about tail wagging the dog.

I'm sure plenty on here remember standing on kop, we'd score then you'd make you way back up the kop to where stood in first place.

I want us to be considered amongst the best sides in the country and in order to do that we have to spend as many years in the Premier League as possible.

If that happens then for most of those it's going to be a recurring fight against relegation, as it is for most of the league. As already pointed out there's no such thing as an established PL club beyond the obvious 7. Relegation is inevitable at some point, you just have to try and be ready to be in a position to get back in.

I would sooner be stuck in mid-table mediocrity in the PL than in the Championship or, God forbid, L1 again and being in the PL does at least mean there some chance (not too much, admittedly) or actually winning a major cup competition. Sadly few managers seem to value the honours board, presumably because their salary and that of the players rests on maintaining PL status, whilst our miserable haul of trophies throughout the clubs' history is important to a few of us.

Back
Top Bottom