Burke & McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HackeyBlade

Reaction score
Could see these 2 developing into a decent partnership. McBurnine looked strong on the ball tonight when he came on and was looking for some clever passes into space. Would have liked to see Burke stay on to compliment McBurnies playmaking and try and latch onto some of those balls

you’d have said that about Danny Ings and che Adams a couple of years ago...

I hope to god it is, because unless we sign at least one proper goalscoring threat before the window closes, we are going to struggle. Carlton Blade has kindly shown the stats about what we need to do this season, Based upon the previous 10 or so seasons and we need to score probably 10 more than last season to be competitive. At the moment I don’t see where the same number of goals are going to come from, let alone 10 more.

I hope to god it is, because unless we sign at least one proper goalscoring threat before the window closes, we are going to struggle. Carlton Blade has kindly shown the stats about what we need to do this season, Based upon the previous 10 or so seasons and we need to score probably 10 more than last season to be competitive. At the moment I don’t see where the same number of goals are going to come from, let alone 10 more.
We need 50 goals to maintain a place in the top 14 to account for the fact we are liable to concede at least 45 (I'm being generous, 50-55 is most likely. We avoided 4's and 5's last season. We probably won't this year).

If we score 39 and concede 55 we need to hope that we time our goals well. We can't afford to score 2 goals in a game and not win it for example.

Didsy and McBurnie is the best option of the current fit strikers.
Probably true. I think Burke showed some pace, aggression and skill but he's a bit rough round the edges isn't he. Another view is that he replaced Clarke, so we definitely have a better option

Sharp is a tricky character off the bench for me and moose is miles off being fit. We need at least one more in

Having an International strikeforce only for that international team to be Scotland reminds me of a tale from my Dad’s cricketing days playing for Waleswood when he spoke to his Dad:

• How did you get on, son?
  • I opened the batting and top scored.
  • Very good, how many did you get?
  • 4. I hit the first ball to the boundary and we were all out for 9!

😄

We need 50 goals to maintain a place in the top 14 to account for the fact we are liable to concede at least 45 (I'm being generous, 50-55 is most likely. We avoided 4's and 5's last season. We probably won't this year).

If we score 39 and concede 55 we need to hope that we time our goals well. We can't afford to score 2 goals in a game and not win it for example.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of our goals conceded number, it's highly unlikely we'll manage to overperform on xga like we did last season. I'm assuming that's what's you've looked at with your predictions? What also needs factoring in is that we also underperformed on xg, so the net over performance was only actually 4 goals.

For me you can't look at the defensive stats in isolation, as an indicator of our drop off.
Analytically speaking a top of the bottom half finish looks likely. Admittedly the eye test says our attack currently looks toothless, but that was without McGoldrick, Mousset and the surely inevitable addition.

Basically, I think we're being a bit overly pessimistic about how the season is likely to go. Especially considering that we have much better squad depth, particularly defensively. We also start the season with Berge, who in my opinion is a huge huge upgrade on anything we had this time last year.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of our goals conceded number, it's highly unlikely we'll manage to overperform on xga like we did last season. I'm assuming that's what's you've looked at with your predictions? What also needs factoring in is that we also underperformed on xg, so the net over performance was only actually 4 goals.

For me you can't look at the defensive stats in isolation, as an indicator of our drop off.
Analytically speaking a top of the bottom half finish looks likely. Admittedly the eye test says our attack currently looks toothless, but that was without McGoldrick, Mousset and the surely inevitable addition.

Basically, I think we're being a bit overly pessimistic about how the season is likely to go. Especially considering that we have much better squad depth, particularly defensively. We also start the season with Berge, who in my opinion is a huge huge upgrade on anything we had this time last year.
I'm also basing it on the fact that only 8 teams in Premier League history have finished outside the top 6 and conceded less than 40 goals. They all went on to concede at least 20% more the next season.

Our closest facsimile is Burnley from 3 seasons ago. Scored 36, conceded 39, 54 points. The following season - Scored 45, conceded 63, 40 points (I may be one or two off on those goals numbers I'm taking this off the top of my head). They had Europe to contend with but that was a very short stay.

Basically, what we did last season is an unsustainable model based on actual United performance and statistical analysis plus historical review of teams at this level.

Imagine what Berge could become with thirty thousand fans cheering him on. He is very self effacing by nature, but I’m sure that CWAK and the Lane full of home fans will bring out his leadership qualities.
As good a servant as Norwood has been, Berge is the future for this club.

I'm also basing it on the fact that only 8 teams in Premier League history have finished outside the top 6 and conceded less than 40 goals. They all went on to concede at least 20% more the next season.

Our closest facsimile is Burnley from 3 seasons ago. Scored 36, conceded 39, 54 points. The following season - Scored 45, conceded 63, 40 points (I may be one or two off on those goals numbers I'm taking this off the top of my head). They had Europe to contend with but that was a very short stay.

Basically, what we did last season is an unsustainable model based on actual United performance and statistical analysis plus historical review of teams at this level.

I don't disagree, but I also think we will score more this year. McGoldrick missed a ludicrous number, that won't happen again (to the same extent at least). Last season may prove to be a freak, but looking at history Ipswich are the only team to do what we have and then go down the following season.

I don't disagree, but I also think we will score more this year. McGoldrick missed a ludicrous number, that won't happen again (to the same extent at least). Last season may prove to be a freak, but looking at history Ipswich are the only team to do what we have and then go down the following season.
I think 45 goals, 55 conceded and 41-45 points. We have a much easier run in so I do think we'll be in and around the bottom 3 at times

That's pretty impressive mate - to be able to reel off Burnley's goal difference and points for 2 consecutive seasons, starting 3 years ago, off the top of your head!😳 You must have an amazing memory - I don't think I could do that even for Sheff Utd.

I think 45 goals, 55 conceded and 41-45 points. We have a much easier run in so I do think we'll be in and around the bottom 3 at times

The worry with the easy run in, for me, is that we have a tendency to drop off towards the end of seasons. I'd rsther have the hard games at the end and the points in the bag. This end of season tiredness might end up being worse, given the strange circumstances we find ourselves in.

That's pretty impressive mate - to be able to reel off Burnley's goal difference and points for 2 consecutive seasons, starting 3 years ago, off the top of your head!😳 You must have an amazing memory - I don't think I could do that even for Sheff Utd.
I've got a record of Top Division statistics going back to the 50's and I've looked at teams similar to United a few times. I'm not quite Rainman 😂

The worry with the easy run in, for me, is that we have a tendency to drop off towards the end of seasons. I'd rsther have the hard games at the end and the points in the bag. This end of season tiredness might end up being worse, given the strange circumstances we find ourselves in.
Who knows? All I'd say is we are very unlikely to have as many points after 28 games as we did last year regardless of how well we play

Who knows? All I'd say is we are very unlikely to have as many points after 28 games as we did last year regardless of how well we play
Why

Because we've played 1 and lost 1 to a team very similar to ourselves.
That was the first time since we played Newcastle we've conceded 2 at home.
We have just played 90 minutes at Burnley and achieved the same 90 minutes score 1-1 with an experimental team. Yes we lost on pens but they are a lottery.
It's unbelievable how engrained the negativity is that runs through our club
We've enjoyed the best 4 years in our lifetimes clubs history yet here we are after 1 match looking like getting relegated with 32 points looks certain

I give up
You miserable bastards have won

Why

Because we've played 1 and lost 1 to a team very similar to ourselves.
That was the first time since we played Newcastle we've conceded 2 at home.
We have just played 90 minutes at Burnley and achieved the same 90 minutes score 1-1 with an experimental team. Yes we lost on pens but they are a lottery.
It's unbelievable how engrained the negativity is that runs through our club
We've enjoyed the best 4 years in our lifetimes clubs history yet here we are after 1 match looking like getting relegated with 32 points looks certain

I give up
You miserable bastards have won
Because we play all our hardest ames in the first 28.

I'd forgotten how much of a dick you are 😂😂

I think you're right and I think we're more likely to be closer to the relegation places for much of this season than the top six.

Back
Top Bottom