Didzy racially abused [Off topic messages removed]

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Personal view regarding the Didzy and Zaha crap ,is that there is no answer. There are certain members of society of all races, age and class that simply cant be educated or punished enough and will always have this shit in them. They just have a way now of venting their poison unfortunately. WE are all rightly shocked and disgusted but there is little we can do about it 😞
Twitter, as a multi-billion dollar tech firm has rhe ability to auto recognise language like that and block it. That needs looking at.
As has been said, in a world of billions of people, a social media form that transmits opiom and comment to anybody who will listen is going to attract all sorts of low life.
How we react and deal with that is a debate in it's own right, not one to be had on here, it's already been derailed enough by the new agitator of dubious intent.

We have asked that controversial subjects not be discussed on the forum due to the inevitable fall out but in support of Didzy, we thought it was important that this remained so I have taken half an hour out of my workday to clean the thread of off-topic discussion and reinstate it.

The accusations of me being a racist (sigh) have been moved to the Comments, Suggestions and Problems forum.

People are thick

You've got to remember that whatever a person does in response to racism will always be seen by some as inappropriate or "too far". Had they reported the posts to the police the response would've been "That could be some kid being daft or some hard working lad who had a few too many one evening and felt the urge to vent, you don't know his personal life and now you've made him a criminal! Couldn't you have dealt with it man-to-man?". And if it had come out that Didzy had confronted him in messages they'd have said "Why would you engage with idiots like that, you should've made it public so we can all judge them".

They love to play this game where they pretend they'd love to be on your side but just can't agree with the way you make your point. It's a lie. People like that will never be on our side.

Twitter, as a multi-billion dollar tech firm has rhe ability to auto recognise language like that and block it. That needs looking at.
As has been said, in a world of billions of people, a social media form that transmits opiom and comment to anybody who will listen is going to attract all sorts of low life.
How we react and deal with that is a debate in it's own right, not one to be had on here, it's already been derailed enough by the new agitator of dubious intent.
Agree but in a way its good that it gets out there to show these imbeciles do exist and hopefully brought to book.

Social media is a horrible place. I'm a "millennial", spend far too long on Twitter and use it as a key source of info, but if I had the option in a second I'd remove all of them. Sadly it's just too late for that. But at the very least it needs to do way more to tackle hate speech. It's too easy for people to just do these "throwaway" things and cause such pain and outcry. We can work on educating people, but there will always be a part of the human psyche of some people that makes them do things like this because they know it's easily done and they know they can make an impact. Years ago, if you hated a celebrity or a footballer, you'd have to actively seek out their address and write a letter or something to make your point, and the reality was oiks like these people on social media wouldn't have bothered. Now you just pull up Twitter or Instagram and in the blink of an eye you say whatever you like and they can see it.

The fact that this cretin abused Didzy indicates that he has some sort of awareness of football. In so doing, they must have an affiliation with one team or another and I would hazard a guess that the team that this guy supports probably has at least one black guy that plays for them. It makes no sense, members of the EDL would be jumping for joy if England won the World Cup but would they suddenly stop celebrating if Sterling or Rashford were to score the winner?

I'm not sure the suggestion I've seen o nTwitter of arresting, locking up and near to death beating of a 12 year old is the answer. The abuse is absolutely abhorrent, that much is clear but the lack of education in these cretins surely has to be the biggest eye-opener at play? I don't know the answer to it all and this clearly has to stop - it's got this twat his 5 minutes in the limelight sadly

What can actually be done to stop this?

Shaming/punishing people may make us feel better about ourselves but I doubt it will do any good to the guilty party and these things happen again and again.

Voting for a different political party/person won't make a real difference.

Regulating social media doesn't stop people having racist thoughts.

Education is the key imho.

Easy for me to say I know, but I would rather send people on an educational trip to Auschwitz to change their perspective and maybe meet the people they have abused.

If that won't work nothing will :(

Social media is a horrible place. I'm a "millennial", spend far too long on Twitter and use it as a key source of info, but if I had the option in a second I'd remove all of them. Sadly it's just too late for that. But at the very least it needs to do way more to tackle hate speech. It's too easy for people to just do these "throwaway" things and cause such pain and outcry. We can work on educating people, but there will always be a part of the human psyche of some people that makes them do things like this because they know it's easily done and they know they can make an impact. Years ago, if you hated a celebrity or a footballer, you'd have to actively seek out their address and write a letter or something to make your point, and the reality was oiks like these people on social media wouldn't have bothered. Now you just pull up Twitter or Instagram and in the blink of an eye you say whatever you like and they can see it.

I remember being at school just as social media started to grow in a big way. Early MySpace stuff and crap like that. When I got to Uni everyone was jumping on the Facebook bandwagon as that began dominating the internet.

Here we are about about a decade and a half later and these things have become ubiquitous. I could leave social media, but it's the way I stay in touch with some very good friends that are now spread out across the world. Even this forum counts as "social media" and, frustrated as some posts can make us, we all love it. Social media is great in so many ways. When I was a kid I ran the full length of Bramall Lane car park just to get an autograph from Brian Deane. It must be wonderful for kids to be able to tweet their heroes and get the odd real response or like or share.

The problem is that it and the technology used for it has become a part of our lives far quicker than we've been able to adapt culturally. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I can't tell you how happy I am that some of the things I said at fifteen or even twenty aren't recorded waiting for someone to find it and use it against me. Things once said in private down the pub are now seen by millions. There was that woman who tweeted something racist in an airport and lost her job before she landed. Personally I found that hilarious but it is telling of how immature we are that people still think they can act this way. It was probably the kind of joke that got laughs when she'd told it before.

We've got a lot of growing up to do collectively and I do think that social media will settle into a place where we all know what the rules and repercussions are. In the mean time we've got to put up with these kinds of utter morons.

What can actually be done to stop this?

Shaming/punishing people may make us feel better about ourselves but I doubt it will do any good to the guilty party and these things happen again and again.

Education is the key imho.

Easy for me to say I know, but I would rather send people on an educational trip to Auschwitz to change their perspective. If that won't work nothing will :(

Education is huge. I also think people undervalue public condemnation. There's this pervasive idea that if people can't say what they want that you push them underground where it's worse, but the opposite seems to be true. When we as a group constantly reinforce the idea that racism is both stupid and evil then it becomes a lot harder for people to hold racist views. You can find a few people with whacko ideas who only double down on them but that's mostly at the individual level. By making it clear that they're not welcome you hugely lessen their sphere of influence and make it so that susceptible minds are greatly aware of the dangers of that kind of thinking.

The only real problem with this kind of censuring is that it can be used equally well for bad ideas as good. Fortunately, when it comes to racism, all of the data and academics are on our side.

Education is huge. I also think people undervalue public condemnation. There's this pervasive idea that if people can't say what they want that you push them underground where it's worse, but the opposite seems to be true. When we as a group constantly reinforce the idea that racism is both stupid and evil then it becomes a lot harder for people to hold racist views. You can find a few people with whacko ideas who only double down on them but that's mostly at the individual level. By making it clear that they're not welcome you hugely lessen their sphere of influence and make it so that susceptible minds are greatly aware of the dangers of that kind of thinking.

The only real problem with this kind of censuring is that it can be used equally well for bad ideas as good. Fortunately, when it comes to racism, all of the data and academics are on our side.

Respectfully I'm not quite saying that. Public values do shape behaviour and stigma against unacceptable behaviour is a positive thing.

However, and I know this will be unpopular, we must consider what to do with the guilty. That in no way is the same as excusing what they have done and for letting them off the hook.

If they fall into a life of crime and/or deprivation no-one is a winner. Need more organizations like Quilliam (spelling)

Not always learnt from parents. Depends on company they keep.

Make social media accountable for identifying offenders and regulate them, simple

Sometimes it's the lack of parental involvement that creates a void...

Well in most cases seems that people are identified anyway?

Social media says what people think, we need to change how people think.

(full support to David of course, hadn't mentioned it)

Respectfully I'm not quite saying that. Public values do shape behaviour and stigma against unacceptable behaviour is a positive thing.

However, and I know this will be unpopular, we must consider what to do with the guilty. That in no way is the same as excusing what they have done and for letting them off the hook.

If they fall into a life of crime and/or deprivation no-one is a winner. Need more organizations like Quilliam (spelling)

Sorry, I didn't mean that you were necessarily taking that position, it just seemed related. I agree with you that we have a problem with what to do with people like this.

I guess the best example recently was the idiot that lost his job for his part in the flying the "White lives matter" banner over Burnley. I don't feel bad for him facing the condemnation he's had, and I don't feel bad for him losing his job either, but there's a very open question as to what the path back for someone like him is. Even his apology was riddled with the typical excuses, he even unironically pulled the "I have a black friend" line, and I don't know how anyone makes that with a straight face any more. But still, we have to offer both a way to change him and have an openness to the idea that people can change.

The day that companies who own the big sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatapps etc are held responsible for CONTENT POSTED is the day that a lot of this shit is cleared up.

They would not survive if they are taken through the courts. It simply won't change until the big companies do.

They say they are just the "vehicle" not the authors, which is fine - so alter the rules/regs accordingly to make them responsible for the CONTENT.

They actually say they are working on solutions - people don't run these companies, masses of computers run these companies and tweaking algorithms will always be vulnerable, in the same ways hackers always stay ahead of the game.

My IT world hasn't half caused a load of shit, but it is fixable - depends whether the world wants to take on the big AMERICAN companies.............erm, at this moment in time, I think not.

UTB

Last edited:
Sadly, it's the inevitable consequence of people thinking that social media is a place you can vomit whatever thoughts you have in the ether without having to worry about any consequences.

For all the good things that go with it, arseholes are going to arsehole. And I'm not sure how to fix it, beyond all of us condemning this kind of moronic abuse

Seems that Didsy has kept this to himself, or people close to him considering the lack of a story in mainstream media. They need chelsea looking into this as it's clearly a chelsea fan considering the content.

The day that companies who own the big sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Whatapps etc are held responsible for CONTENT POSTED is the day that a lot of this shit is cleared up.

They would not survive if they are taken through the courts. It simply won't change until the big companies do.

They say they are just the "vehicle" not the authors, which is fine - so alter the rules/regs accordingly to make them responsible for the CONTENT.

They actually say they are working on solutions - people don't run these companies, masses of computers run these companies and tweaking algorithms will always be vulnerable, in the same ways hackers always stay ahead of the game.

My IT world hasn't half caused a load of shit, but it is fixable - depends whether the world wants to take on the big AMERICAN companies.............erm, at this momnet in time, I think not.

UTB
Exactly. It's bullshit.
Could somebody take out a newspaper advert or tv ad spouting racial hatred? No.
Facebook , twitter should be the same.
They also carry daily bullying of kids, making their lives hell.

The sad reality is that we will probably never, ever end racism, or hate, or crime for that matter, because some people are just wired wrong.

Anger is the single easiest emotion for us to have, we should be teaching our children about important things like human psychology and the law because these matter to everyone.

We are all similar in many ways, what differs is our actions and reactions to events that happen, we have more knowledge about why people do what they do and we should be teaching our youth to understand and improve.

The law should protect us but in reality it protects those with enough money and punishes those without, the priorities in this shit cunt world are all fucked up.

I don’t do any of Facebook or similar because of some of the people it attracts.

I know it’s a really simplistic view but is there anything on these sites that warns people that inappropriately worded comments will find the person traced and punished with heavy fines or jail sentences?

Not just talking racism here but any form of bullying and harassment

By doing this them im sure this would put a stop to 90% of the problem and allow normal people to use the sites for how they were intended.

Again apologies if I’m speaking rubbish here as I don’t know the first thing about how they operate

My IT world hasn't half caused a load of shit, but it is fixable - depends whether the world wants to take on the big AMERICAN companies.............erm, at this moment in time, I think not.

UTB

Companies like Twitter could be doing a lot more, particularly when it comes to having filters for certain words. The problem when it comes to legislation is that by giving sites legal responsibilities you'd probably kill all social media stone dead. If you take a site like this, where the admins have had to take half an hour out of their working life to fix a thread, being legally responsible for someone posting something abusive would end it. Even if they could do it, the legal risks alone would make this site not worth running. All it would take is one overly-litigious person to try to take them to court and it'd be goodbye S24SU.

The best thing, and the way things seem to be going (Youtube and Reddit have just removed a lot of far-right and other questionable content) is that we continue to make promoting racism flat-out bad for business. That kind of pressure will have them change in a day.

Sorry, I didn't mean that you were necessarily taking that position, it just seemed related. I agree with you that we have a problem with what to do with people like this.

I guess the best example recently was the idiot that lost his job for his part in the flying the "White lives matter" banner over Burnley. I don't feel bad for him facing the condemnation he's had, and I don't feel bad for him losing his job either, but there's a very open question as to what the path back for someone like him is. Even his apology was riddled with the typical excuses, he even unironically pulled the "I have a black friend" line, and I don't know how anyone makes that with a straight face any more. But still, we have to offer both a way to change him and have an openness to the idea that people can change.
Totally agree with you and FM Blade on this.

We need to think about the ways we rehabilitate people into our society and actually make change. Chelsea had a programme when they had a number of fans engaging in antisemitic abuse where they took offenders on a trip to a concentration camp to learn about antisemitism.

Although there should be no tolerance, and those found engaging in abuse should be removed from the stands/forum/social media, we need to find a way to get these people to change their behaviour.

I'd be interested in establishing a Blades Against Racism group to work with the club to educate our fans and wider community. What do people think? Anyone seen anything like it in the past? Any ideas if anyone else has already done it?

Totally agree with you and FM Blade on this.

We need to think about the ways we rehabilitate people into our society and actually make change. Chelsea had a programme when they had a number of fans engaging in antisemitic abuse where they took offenders on a trip to a concentration camp to learn about antisemitism.

Although there should be no tolerance, and those found engaging in abuse should be removed from the stands/forum/social media, we need to find a way to get these people to change their behaviour.

I'd be interested in establishing a Blades Against Racism group to work with the club to educate our fans and wider community. What do people think? Anyone seen anything like it in the past? Any ideas if anyone else has already done it?

Probably your best bet is to get in touch with FURD (football unites, racism divides) and see if there's much going on in the local area.

Back
Top Bottom