Referee yesterday with Grealish

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Boxer Blade

Reaction score
I mentioned this yesterday on another thread but thought it warrants it's own thread.

Early in the game yesterday in the first half Grealish did a theatrical dive in front of the kop/john Street under the defending of Baldock I think it was, Baldock didn't touch him and the ball was cleared down field only for the ref to stop play and gave us a free kick, but most importantly he "had a word" in Grealishes ear which I presume were along the lines of "don't try and cheat and con me, you lying little twat" or something similar, but it worked, of course during the game he had his moments but compared to what we normally see he generally stopped it.

So, well done to the referee it's not difficult to do but other referee's should take note.

Infuriated me when he ran 50+yards to make sure the ref booked Norwood as well but as has been said in other threads, he’s a really talented football when he concentrates on what he’s good at. If he cut out the shit he would gain far more respect from genuine football supporters

More likely....

“Stay on your feet kid, you’re a far better player when you’re on your feet instead of your arse”
You would hope this was the case rather than the former.

I counted four occasions where Grealish dived and the referee acknowledged that he hadn't been fouled. Why didn't he book him? If you've seen a player dive that many times, why is he getting away with it. It made our bookings more annoying as he couldn't wait to get his card out.

Grealish, McGinn and Kodjia were all guilty of this in the first half.

I won't give the referee any credit for talking to Grealish. He was gutless and should have booked him. If it was a dive in the box then he would have had his card out in seconds....... well, four minutes after VAR.

All game Grealish was yelling at the referee in protest. Whilst I don't condone it, I can see why that fan felt like punching him last season.

He's only cheating himself at the end if the day because if he genuinely does get fouled and the ref doesn't give it, he's only got himself to blame. Boy who cried wolf

He gave a free-kick against him for diving, but then didn't book him?
Or at least that was my understanding...
Shite refereeing & he should have shown him a card.
The free kick was for offside not a dive I think. So in effect the dive never happened hence the word rather than a card

Edit ah seen the above please ignore

The free kick was for offside not a dive I think. So in effect the dive never happened hence the word rather than a card

Edit ah seen the above please ignore
So if a player is offside and elbows the defender in the face, he would not get a red card? Surely you can get carded for something that happens when the ball is dead?

So if a player is offside and elbows the defender in the face, he would not get a red card? Surely you can get carded for something that happens when the ball is dead?
I’m no ref but I think violent conduct would be different as that doesn’t rely on the game still being in progress. Things like that and dissent could still be dealt with I think. Happy to be shown otherwise mind.

He's clearly got bags of ability, but it's the blatant diving and running after the ref after every decision that goes against him and his team which makes him so frustrating to watch. If he cut that out and concentrated on actually playing he'd get his move and probably that England call up.

Perhaps he needs a strong manager to try and cut all that out of his game.

To be honest there was that blatant dive from him in the first half where the ref had a word, but I was more pissed off with their rightback's playacting. There was one instance that got Fleck booked and then when he went down for about 5 minutes on the edge of our area. Then he miraculously recovered to sprint down the right hand side, then take a long throw.

He should be getting some sort of retrospective ban for that - it's blatant cheating. Same with Manquillo the other week for Newcastle, was down for an age then was sprinting about 30 seconds later.

There were a couple of moments in yesterdays game where (from memory) both Fleck and Lunny took the ball from his feet and ran off. Not sure if it happened so quick that he didn't have time have time to dive, or whether he thought better of it (especially from Lunny) knowing that a follow up tackle might not be as forgiving.......

He is a decent player in a team that really are not great (I genuinely expected a much tougher game).

Good old Gary Sinclair, playing the Christmas evergreen pop songs at half time.

"Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
When the fans start singing and the Blades begin to play
oh I wish it could be Christmas, every day
Let the boo's, ring out
For Grealish...."

Blokes a cheat and not a very good one.
All the hype and did nowt significant apart from dive.
I wouldn’t swap him for any of our first eleven

Aye
As long as you assume that "puffy" refers to being out of breath
Or as in powder puff, soft, not big and strong......
But if people want to read it a different way, and make accusations, or attempt to discredit someone, by trying to bring them down to their level, then that's up to them.

I think Maddison, Leicester City, is worse.

Anyone notice how dirty his shirt was towards the end? He'd spent that many times diving and falling over it was scruffy. Think that's why he gave it to a villa fan at the end

Was Prince William at BDTBL, and did he kick the cat when he got home?

Back
Top Bottom