CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not really.
Seen nothing to think Duffy couldn't cut it in the Prem and he was clearly very comfortable in the Championship.
He also knows how we play. Maybe Freeman can do the job better but maybe he can't. Maybe he gets a serious injury at Bournemouth.
To me Duffy is worth keeping for the player and the sentiment.
As is Sharp.

Wrong and right.....he was comfortable in the Championship but in our system.....before that, and arguably at his prime, (27/28) he couldn't get a game for Birmingham and was subsequently loaned out to L1 with Burton who weren't interested in him when they were promoted to the Championship and then he dropped to L1 again with us......accept that certain players peak later in their careers obviously

In answer to you both.

Certain things I’ve seen. Not much of an answer, but my eyeballs are telling me his level has dropped. He has become less of an influence. He has started to lose possession in areas and in circumstances that would rarely happen previously. He has less explosive dynamism and doesn’t glide past opponents in the same way.

Don’t get me wrong, the slide isn’t significant. Yet.

But as others are quick to point out, competition for the “Duffy” role is now fierce. Someone won’t be happy !!

I truly hope MD can light up the PL in the way we have all seen, and the way we know he can.

My hunch is that he won’t get much opportunity in terms of pitch time to do so 😞

UTB
Jeez I’m good 😉👍.

UTB

Well here we are in deepest, darkest S2.

We’re in the Premiership now. We scream for quality new signings yet can’t accept the replacement of our Bladey favourites. Silly parochial Sunday League thinking like ‘deserves a shot...’. 🤮🤮🤮

Are we to play 15 every fucking week? Do you want to stay in the Premiership or make every game a testimonial for long-serving faithful old servants? Sadly, I know the answer for some of you. Talk about the owners lacking ambition? Have a look in the mirror.

I said some time ago, to the usual Bladey derision, that neither Duffy nor Sharp would start more than a dozen games next season. Bonkers Bladey Blades scream with righteous indignation on behalf of their favourite one minute then demand Maupay, McBurnie et al the next. Only...(you know the rest).

As I’ve said before, Sharp may well have a vital but limited role, Kevin Phillips or Trevor Francis style. Duffy, I think not.

We’re moving on Bladey Blades. Evolving, progressing. Either stay in your Shoreham Street caves whinging or come out and enjoy it.

So the replacements for Duffy are a championship player and a player that's fallen off the wagon over the past 6 years or so. We've tried to replace 2/3 times already and everytime he's proven to be the better option.

Now I agree that sentiment shouldn't play any part, but this isn't a bit part player, he's been more than key. Should Freeman not pull up any trees and Ravel decide he wants to be a gangster again, what do we do then?

Keep him for the season as bit part.

Love Duffy but I can totally see why we're not offering him a new contract. I can then easily see how with a few conversations that spirals into "well, you can leave if you like".

All that said, I can't see us forcing him out. And I can't imagine Duffy passing up Premier League football. I'd be very, very surprised if he wasn't with us by the end of this transfer window.

Whilst occasionally I agree with you on the issue of sentiment with players this particular bladey favourite isn’t because he “gets stuck in” or “covers every blade of grass” it’s because he’s ridiculously talented and we have looked significantly weaker without him in the team. Why not wait to see if the new lads can fill his boots before getting rid?
Hes still under contract so it is up to him weather he sticks around and fights for his place ,Wilder has given him the option.
That is good man management by Wilder!.

Duffy is still a good option. Keep him and let his contract run out

He used to work for Sky and was always one of the most reliable when it came to transfers etc. I recall him announcing that Wolves had triggered KMacs release clause well before anyone else got hold of it.

I’m not buying that as evidence of current reliability. The article may be right that we’re not planning to offer Duffy a new deal, and that’s not really a surprise – we didn’t offer one to Sharp initially either, but an extension was activated due to the appearances he clocked up.

The article in question doesn’t exactly strengthen its credentials either by attempting at the end to parcel off a story nearly 2 weeks old as a new exclusive.

I really hope that Duffy stays till xmas if there is truth in the rumours. He deserves to play in at least one PL game and can help develop the new lads with his role in our system before leaving.

All hail Duffy the bounce slayer 🙌

Always had a soft spot for Duffy but if he wants to play regular football then this is a no brainier for him. Also if we look like staying in the Prem as the season unfolds expect to see some other players go out the door. Sharp, Basham, Fleck, McGoldrick to name a few. All been good servants but if we stay at Prem level we will be looking beyond these players.

Always had a soft spot for Duffy but if he wants to play regular football then this is a no brainier for him. Also if we look like staying in the Prem as the season unfolds expect to see some other players go out the door. Sharp, Basham, Fleck, McGoldrick to name a few. All been good servants but if we stay at Prem level we will be looking beyond these players.
Do you not think Fleck will be good enough for Prem??

Just my assumption. Wilder’s first signing, been a key player on the journey since, seems like a good character.

Do you disagree?
Bert is like you, he hasn't got a clue.

Terrible decision if true, why on earth would we not want to keep one of our best players?
But is he still one of our best players finch? I am with everyone else in my love of Duffy but we have brought in one or two younger versions, never easy decisions these,understand if he goes happy if he stays but the club comes first onwards and upwards.

Papers reporting it as if he is being pushed.
What's probably happening is Wilder has rightly told him that new arrivals mean his game time will wind up being limited this season and that he's free to find another club if he wants to play.

Who in the whole team who can hold the ball,slow the game down like Duffy can,every other player we have currently dont do it,on the other side of the coin,Duffy sometimes holds onto the ball for far too long,in the Prem maybe Wilder wants to move the ball faster into attacking area's.

Excuse my language: how the fuck are we writing players off before they've kicked a ball in anger in the Premier League?
McGoldrick and Fleck both have all the tool to play in the premier league, no questions asked. Duffy also falls into that bracket, my only question mark would be his stamina at 34, same goes for Billy.

Just my assumption. Wilder’s first signing, been a key player on the journey since, seems like a good character.

Do you disagree?
He mentioned recently that he'd agreed to join Wilder at Charlton, then when Wilder's destination changed so did his.

Excuse my language: how the fuck are we writing players off before they've kicked a ball in anger in the Premier League?
McGoldrick and Fleck both have all the tool to play in the premier league, no questions asked. Duffy also falls into that bracket, my only question mark would be his stamina at 34, same goes for Billy.

Freeman Luke has been written off, on the strength of 3 appearances in 3 friendlies.

Isn’t he just one of these freelance journalists that fills his twitter feed with confirmed news announcements (making him look knowledgeable) and sprinkle it in with speculative stuff that is very hit & miss (generally the latter)? He to me just seems like a less cryptic NicksEm.

He has got some things right - although it may just be latching onto other sources and, as you say, throwing enough stuff in the hope that eventually something sticks.

Counterpoint is that he went all-in on the “exclusive” that Bielsa was about to quit over Spygate when in fact he was just sitting down to do his PowerPoint presentation of Derby’s tactics to the media.

Duffy has a contract and has every right to fight for his place, however if he has any sense he will be looking to get paid up the majority of his contract with us and try to secure a 2 year deal with a Championship club. At his age he needs to look to maximise his earnings from football for the sake of his family.

He would be incredibly naive if he thinks he's going to be playing regularly, even from the bench after we have signed Freeman for £5.5m and Robinson for £8m.

Duffy has a contract and has every right to fight for his place, however if he has any sense he will be looking to get paid up the majority of his contract with us and try to secure a 2 year deal with a Championship club. At his age he needs to look to maximise his earnings from football for the sake of his family.

He would be incredibly naive if he thinks he's going to be playing regularly, even from the bench after we have signed Freeman for £5.5m and Robinson for £8m.
No way should we be paying his contract up
He's still got a 6 figure value even at his age, he's been a regular starter for a promoted team

Love Duffy , really sad to see him go , that fucking goal though !!! ⚰ 🐖 🦉

Back
Top Bottom