Criticising players.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What did Lundstram do wrong yesterday, was he at fault for their goal or are we blaming the loss on him not burying that shot that the keeper made a good save from ? This Lundstram bashing from sections of the fanbase is becoming quite sickening to be honest.
I’ve disagreed with you at times MB ,
but I’m 100% in agreement with you on this one
This constant criticism of players pulling on our shirt every week is shocking
It seems some on here are aching for 1 bad result. / team performance / 1 bad game by a player to stick there FIFA 18 managers cap on and give us there benifit of years of building up there ( non ) managerial experience
Our team is open to criticism as a team , and rightly so and our displays v Hull and Bolton , and Birmingham away last season where shite
or was the result on Saturday
Bristol City 1 v Lundstrum 0
Team game , team wins , team loses ,
Sheffield United ( unfortunately) got beat on Saturday
I’ll be cheering whoever takes to the pitch midweek, knowing our manger is picking the best team , barring injuries to represent our team on that day

You haven't grasped the concept of actually reading what other people post have you. Especially the bit about amateur football managers which I addressed. You also seem to have anger management issues if someone holds an opinion you disagree with. Vote remain did you perchance?

To be fair, I think you have made your point on Lunny a number of times. Time to move on, I think we all know your thoughts now.

This whole issue clearly polarised folk on here into a couple of camps. Those who think it's heresy especially under Wilder whereas it seemed more acceptable under his predecessors; and those who simply think it's just part of the vast range of topics which football fans engage in. I thought Nick 'Monty Montgomery did a sterling job for us for the period and managers he played. Many and one in particularly argue vehemently differently.
I think Lundstram is the equivalent of a brick compared to Monty and should consider a career as a traffic cone. It dosent make anyone a bigger Blade to defend the indefensible. IMO it's harder to accept a player just isn't good enough than do "a Woodward Fan" thing.Criticising a players worth isn't anti Wilder and it isn't trying to be a clever twat of an amateur manager. It's simply wanting the team we all support with equal validity to win more games.
The only thing I want to add to this is the player criticism always gets back to the maligned player ....there's always someone rushing to tell them... & if the player is a confidence player it is making the manager's job harder. I would never like to think I was causing hassle for Chris. He hasn't got the easiest managerial on
This whole issue clearly polarised folk on here into a couple of camps. Those who think it's heresy especially under Wilder whereas it seemed more acceptable under his predecessors; and those who simply think it's just part of the vast range of topics which football fans engage in. I thought Nick 'Monty Montgomery did a sterling job for us for the period and managers he played. Many and one in particularly argue vehemently differently.
I think Lundstram is the equivalent of a brick compared to Monty and should consider a career as a traffic cone. It dosent make anyone a bigger Blade to defend the indefensible. IMO it's harder to accept a player just isn't good enough than do "a Woodward Fan" thing.Criticising a players worth isn't anti Wilder and it isn't trying to be a clever twat of an amateur manager. It's simply wanting the team we all support with equal validity to win more games.
I don't believe in anything which makes Chris's job harder than it already is. He has to manage players as individuals so he doesn't like criticism of confidence players. As there's always some clever dick who rushes to tell them ! It doesnt improve the player so it doesnt improve the team. Managers with top of Prem budgets don't buy confidence players as they want an easier life. But we don't have the same budgets. So Chris doesn't have an easy life & he really has to use all of his incredible man management skills. So making it harder for him is not what I would feel comfortable with.

"Voted Brexit"

View attachment 44317

The Sirens of General Chat are calling to you .... come come, come.......

You haven't even begun to answer his point about yesterday's game.

Where's the anger btw?

My post isn't about yesterday's game Sean. If he wants an answer in respect of that event he should ask it on one of the existing threads thereon.

You of all eminent contributors should know about that kind of etiquette.

The only thing I want to add to this is the player criticism always gets back to the maligned player ....there's always someone rushing to tell them... & if the player is a confidence player it is making the manager's job harder. I would never like to think I was causing hassle for Chris. He hasn't got the easiest managerial on

I don't believe in anything which makes Chris's job harder than it already is. He has to manage players as individuals so he doesn't like criticism of confidence players. As there's always some clever dick who rushes to tell them ! It doesnt improve the player so it doesnt improve the team. Managers with top of Prem budgets don't buy confidence players as they want an easier life. But we don't have the same budgets. So Chris doesn't have an easy life & he really has to use all of his incredible man management skills. So making it harder for him is not what I would feel comfortable with.
Yes I've been called a happy clapper....not on this forum I hasten to add ....but I truly just try to be a supporter who isn't hateful about the Manager , Players & the Board. Who I believe all give more than 100% . I supported Neil ....who makes me smile even now ....a character of Sheffield if ever there was one .....as he always had the last word & defended his loyal lads like Jags Browny & Tony to the hilt. I still think he was & is lucky not to have a heart attack during a match his team is playing in. All the Blades snobs who wanted a name not our Sheffield lad Neil got what they wanted with Brian Robson. The worst manager in our history ! I've only ever disliked 5 players .... the bone idle ....for us ... Hendry & Naysmith & Marlon King ...for obvious reasons ....as he had a police record for hit & run & violence to women...... as long as your arm ......& stupid Neil Collins & McEverley ....who were terrible to watch. But I didn't shout foul mouthed abuse at them during a match or slag them off all over social media as I'm better than that.

Judging a player on a performance by performance basis is so much harder. On Saturday the Blades controlled the midfield until Lundstram went off. The problem on Saturday wasn't the midfield.Lundstram was good enough on Saturday.

What did Lundstram do wrong yesterday, was he at fault for their goal or are we blaming the loss on him not burying that shot that the keeper made a good save from ? This Lundstram bashing from sections of the fanbase is becoming quite sickening to be honest.
Along with Leon bashing which is making Chris 's job harder. Can we all think about the definition of the word supporter please. It doesn't equate to slagger of of own team players.

Weird that we lose the game so we blame Lundstram.

We should be 3-0 at half time. McGoldrick guilty of missing three great chances. Nobodies having a pop at him. And rightly so, on another day, he takes home the ball.

Absolutely controlled the game first half and if we had scored 1st, I think we win that game convincingly. We must take our chances in this league.

We should be 3-0 at half time. McGoldrick guilty of missing three great chances. Nobodies having a pop at him. And rightly so, on another day, he takes home the ball.

Absolutely controlled the game first half and if we had scored 1st, I think we win that game convincingly. We must take our chances in this league.

I have a sneaky suspicion that if Leon missed that header that some people would be asking for him to be decapitated by now.

Agree with you on how much we dominated the first half. Hats off to Johnson for changing his tactics second half though and largely nullifying us to the point that Wilder had to get creative with his substitutions and unfortunately it didn't pay off.

Don’t we already have a number of Lundstram is shit OPs? Is there really need for another just post on the ones that already exist.

Criticising a players worth isn't anti Wilder and it isn't trying to be a clever twat of an amateur manager. It's simply wanting the team we all support with equal validity to win more games.

Yes criticising ALWAYS helps.

If you really want to improve them though, you need to move on to booing. 100% guaranteed to make them play better.

If I am shit at work I will be criticized....... why should footballers be different?.

Can I stand over you and swear at you, call you everything from a pig to a dog, tell you over social media you don't have a fucking clue and sling personal insults at you?

Then when you go out for a drink I am going to shout over about how you are a useless wanker. Constantly. The more pissed I get the more abusive I will become. Until you need to leave the pub. Yet they still don't come over and bang you out.

I think the critism you would receive at work isn't even close to what your average footballer gets.

I've never been one to slag players off because it's really counter-productive, especially at matches.

In terms of performances, Stevens has been found wanting on more than one occasion this season. He's to comfortable in that position as there's nobody really to challenge him for it. Although Johnson played left wing at Middlesborough, before that he was a LWB and I thought that's why Wilder had brought him in.

Personally, I'd like to see that change made on Wednesday night (which I know will divide opinion).

Can I stand over you and swear at you, call you everything from a pig to a dog, tell you over social media you don't have a fucking clue and sling personal insults at you?

Then when you go out for a drink I am going to shout over about how you are a useless wanker. Constantly. The more pissed I get the more abusive I will become. Until you need to leave the pub. Yet they still don't come over and bang you out.

I think the critism you would receive at work isn't even close to what your average footballer gets.
If you read my post and calm down, you will see that I agree with you.
What you are sharing with us is Verbal Abuse not Criticism.

Everyone in life gets criticism if not performing to what is excepted. Verbal abuse is not acceptable

What I will say is that although it is wrong, in general young footballers know exactly what to expect from the few knobheads that act in this way.
Given this they walk away.

Is it right. No.

Will it ever be any different. No

Will it put young lads off from wanting to be a professional footballer. Will it F#%k.

I think lundstram has all the atributes to be a excelent player except one. The one that no matter how good the coaching is or how strong or fit you are. He hasnt got a quick enough footballers brain. He doesnt think quick enough takes a touch too many and hes under pressure. At this level of football he struggles againts the level of player hes coming up against. Nothing personal againt the lad but he just doesnt look good enough.

But we must have a season's scapegoat.....tis the way of things.

We should resign Conor Sammon.

Not to play, just so we can all blame him when we lose.

I'll start.

We lost on Saturday because of Conor Sammon.

The thing I don't like with criticising players is when people overdo it the other way and when trying to defend guys like Lundstram seem to take pleasure in tearing strips off the likes of Duffy, Sharp and Freeman instead, so rather than not criticising anyone, start criticising everyone, which is even more unhelpful.

We don't have a single player that is flawless and hasn't made their fair share of mistakes over there time here. Most blow hot and cold, with a few that bit colder than others. Criticism is going to go along with that, but some people take it too far.

What Lundstram probably needs is a good song. Chris Porter was absolute bobbins most of the time, but seemed to thrive on the "Benteke is wank" and "If Porter scores, we're on the pitch" chants during the cup run the other year, even if they were intended as slightly ironic (though both factually accurate as it turned out).

John Lundstam. He runs around.
He passes the ball. Sometimes to a teammate.
He sometimes tackles but dosent seem to like headers.
Occasionally he shoots. Normally off target.

Thinking maybe to Deep Purples Smoke on the water. Failing that something by DEVO.

I'm pretty sure that some of the people abusing players don't give a shit about the team.

Sorry, think it's precisely the reason that they do give a shit about the team. We were close last season to a playoff and most can see it's a distinct possibility this season too.

Some have a strange way of putting it though.

UTB

If you read my post and calm down, you will see that I agree with you.
What you are sharing with us is Verbal Abuse not Criticism.

I was and am calm. I just disagreed with you. Trying to negate my point by insinuating I am in some way exploding with rage is poor as well.

Criticism on forums like this, perfectly valid.

At games. The arguments given for it -

1 - "I've paid my money and I'll shout what I like". Even someone with a season ticket now contributes 0.0025% of the club's income, so your voice should be very quiet

2 - "If i do a bad job at work I expect to be criticised". I'm not certain many people in a regular job have to put up with being jeered by a crowd when they make a mistake, or told to **** off you useless ****. Maybe there are such jobs? Nor do you usually have someone opposite you whose purpose it is to actually prevent you doing your own job.

But hey ho, there's no arguing with those gobshites.

John Lundstam. He runs around.
He passes the ball. Sometimes to a teammate.
He sometimes tackles but dosent seem to like headers.
Occasionally he shoots. Normally off target.

Thinking maybe to Deep Purples Smoke on the water. Failing that something by DEVO.
In fairness his shot was the only one on target on Saturday

In fairness his shot was the only one on target on Saturday

In fairness I'm pretty sure you didn't take my "Song for John" too seriously.
His shooting is nevertheless one of a large number of facets to his game that isn t his strong suit.

Sorry, think it's precisely the reason that they do give a shit about the team. We were close last season to a playoff and most can see it's a distinct possibility this season too.

Some have a strange way of putting it though.

UTB

Yes, some people will criticise individual players because they want the team to do well. Despite lofty principles I may have once sworn quietly under my breath when Dean Hammond misplaced a pass. I don't think anyone noticed though.

That's frustration. And is motivated by wanting the team to do well.

What I'm on about are, for instance, those who clearly can't wait to post or tweet after a loss - or even after Lundstram was named in the starting line up at 2pm last Saturday.

There are open sewers running through social media, and spilling over into real life. Christ knows why some people want to spew bile and shite in public, but plenty do.

I'd take a lot of convincing that any of that is motivated by goodwill for the team.

For me, if the club disappeared tomorrow those people would find someone else, somewhere else to take it out on.

I was and am calm. I just disagreed with you. Trying to negate my point by insinuating I am in some way exploding with rage is poor as well.
You can’t even agree with someone that is agreeing with you !!

And for all his qualities, it's been goalscoring that's let McGoldrick down. He's always been a good striker, lovely footballer and great link up man - finishing has always let him down.

We only have ourselves to blame for not signing a proven finisher in the summer - hence why we're seeing the same problems we did last season. Fortunately for us now other areas of the pitch are contributing and are able to due to the set piece service improving.

Back
Top Bottom