A mistake

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Personally I think the club have got it wrong releasing so many players. Yes we needed to bring in a number of new players , but a few of the players released could have played a role , even as a squad player (I'm thinking Flynn, Campbell Ryce and the under appreciated Jay McEveley.)

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for because it might just happen! Now we need at least ten new players who may or may not be better than what we had and who may or may not fell as a team. Yes last season was a disappointment, but this is a knee jerk reaction. I agree with getting rid of Hammond though (not that we should have been in this position).

I know this might sound like wishful thinking but this time I'm hoping that there is a good plan in place to regenerate the squad, this being step one...

I know this might sound like wishful thinking but this time I'm hoping that there is a good plan in place to regenerate the squad, this being step one...
I hope you are right. If so I will deny ever posting this thread!

It's a worry. With the stuff Kev has been saying I'm not entirely convinced we're likely to buy or buy and loan 10 players. Unless we sell The Unsellables that is.

Personally I think the club have got it wrong releasing so many players. Yes we needed to bring in a number of new players , but a few of the players released could have played a role , even as a squad player (I'm thinking Flynn, Campbell Ryce and the under appreciated Jay McEveley.)

As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for because it might just happen! Now we need at least ten new players who may or may not be better than what we had and who may or may not fell as a team. Yes last season was a disappointment, but this is a knee jerk reaction. I agree with getting rid of Hammond though (not that we should have been in this position).

Why would a club of SUFC's standing want to keep more than they can release of a squad that finished 11th in the third division when they have a new man in charge who will have a shopping list in his head of players who could strengthen a promotion winning team.

Keeping em is bollocks, let Wilder loose, it will be good.

It all depends what money the players were on. If Wilder thinks it's too much money to be back up then he's done the right thing.

It's a worry. With the stuff Kev has been saying I'm not entirely convinced we're likely to buy or buy and loan 10 players. Unless we sell The Unsellables that is.

I used to work in projects and that would be classed as a high risk, in an organisation worth it's salt there would be plans in place to reduce the chances of this coming to pass and if it did occur the action to be taken.

I'm thinking along the same lines myself mate, while I'm delighted with most of those they're looking to get rid of, I do feel we could have kept a few as reserves/squad players. The likes of Flynn, Cambell Ryce and the 2 Kierans would have been good to have as back ups. As mentioned before, the only reason I can think that they would get rid of as many as they have is that they were all on too much money, and better replacements can be bought in for cheaper.

Dont understand transfer listing Freeman. He is a young player who can play in several positions, who has plenty of first team experience. He fits the CW blueprint for players, in that he is an energetic, athletic young player. We will be lucky to get much of a fee for him, so we might as well have retained him as a utility player.
I would personally have offered a new contract to McGahey. He did well when he came in last season and was unllucky to be dropped. He appeared to be improving and again was a young player with first team experience.
However CW can do no wrong for me at the moment and perhaps he does not want these two around, as they both have question marks against them, in relation to their attitude. I trust his judgement, so perhaps a new start would be of benefit to both players..Just hope CW is not forced to play too many academy players, who from what I've seen are not yet ready for inclusion in a team going for promotion.

Get ready for August when our laser gasp panic signings are announced......Flynn, McEveley and Campbell Ryce!

I'm thinking along the same lines myself mate, while I'm delighted with most of those they're looking to get rid of, I do feel we could have kept a few as reserves/squad players. The likes of Flynn, Cambell Ryce and the 2 Kierans would have been good to have as back ups. As mentioned before, the only reason I can think that they would get rid of as many as they have is that they were all on too much money, and better replacements can be bought in for cheaper.
I think this is the problem. We are now so used to awful footballers playing for the Blades that some fans want us to hold onto players who are a little different.

However, in reality,
Campbell-Ryce has a few tricks but takes on too many players at the wrong time and ultimately crosses the ball into the stands
Freeman- has pace and looks exciting going forward but his defensive skills are almost non existent which is a bit if an issue for a right back.

K Wallace had about two good games where a winger wasn't up against him. One paced, struggles in the air and has worse distribution than JMac.

The only player I can see Wilder having longer thoughts about would be Flynn as he has good technique and can pass but ultimately he is too fragile and not strong enough in the defensive side of the game to cope in League one

Just trust in Chris WIlder to do the things that needed doing...I'm sure (and hope) he has a cunning plan in place! ;)

A player worth keeping will fight for his place, even after transfer listing. If one of those players can get himself sorted it will have been a worthwhile exercise. I don't expect that player to be Hammond (it appears this is his last payday), de Girolamo (too many chances already), Woolford (playing for his boss to the best of his ability already), Coutts (but who knows if the new conditioning coach can sort him out...), more likely to be one of the other 3 fitness permitting.

And if we can't move the transfer listed players on (tough ask) we can't bring new players in and we will have to play the unwanted list. They will take some motivating and crowd will boo Hammond at every chance.

Still agree with what CW is doing though

One thing that Wilder is big on is team spirit. Without knowing too much about the players released, it will possibly be a combination of them being passengers or they do not fit the mould of being part of a collective and unified group that are hungry and ready to run through brick walls? He also will be looking at players who can step up to the Championship in that he recruits for a division above.

He was known as a bit of a tinker man himself at Halifax, as we had quite a large turnover of players in his first few years. This in part was having to start from 3 or 4 players in his first season, but he is not scared to rebuild a squad or to ship out players, even the ones he has brought in. This has changed somewhat over the years, but even at Northampton, I recall one or two of his own signings were shipped out quickly when they were deemed not good enough.

If some have you have time, it may be worth looking over this article about his time at Halifax. Being a Shayman fan, there is no better apprenticeship in football if you want to learn the hard way with odds stacked against you;

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/spo...lifax-came-so-close-to-defying-odds-1-7921890

One thing that Wilder is big on is team spirit. Without knowing too much about the players released, it will possibly be a combination of them being passengers or they do not fit the mould of being part of a collective and unified group that are hungry and ready to run through brick walls? He also will be looking at players who can step up to the Championship in that he recruits for a division above.

He was known as a bit of a tinker man himself at Halifax, as we had quite a large turnover of players in his first few years. This in part was having to start from 3 or 4 players in his first season, but he is not scared to rebuild a squad or to ship out players, even the ones he has brought in. This has changed somewhat over the years, but even at Northampton, I recall one or two of his own signings were shipped out quickly when they were deemed not good enough.

If some have you have time, it may be worth looking over this article about his time at Halifax. Being a Shayman fan, there is no better apprenticeship in football if you want to learn the hard way with odds stacked against you;

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/spo...lifax-came-so-close-to-defying-odds-1-7921890
Would love to see Halifax Town back where they belong in the League. Been there once, it is a great traditional football ground at the bottom of a valley. I think we've only played you in our fourth division days.

Would love to see Halifax Town back where they belong in the League. Been there once, it is a great traditional football ground at the bottom of a valley. I think we've only played you in our fourth division days.

Cheers mate. I would imagine the Shay has changed a little from your last visit!! Speedway track long gone and looks much better than years past, must be said that the old Shay although it did not see much success had a great feel to it. Perhaps that's nostalgia that kids have. Thanks for the kind words!!

I cant see it being a knee jerk reaction
Wilder has no axe to grind , they didnt upset him
hes just made a clinical assessment of their qualities

and got shot

I went to halifax in league cup won 4 -2 guthrie hat trick rained all nightt
The only thing I remember about the home match against Halifax in Division Four, is that the fans were throwing snowballs at the referee!

We've all been wanting to clear out the squad since Clough left. This is a season away from a knee jerk. The reality is that "squad players" is synonymous with "not good enough".

McEveley has been a part of a defence that has been a constant problem for us. It's not a coincidence that since he's been at the club we've been awful in that department. Flynn has been struggling to stay fit, and even then he hasn't always been a clear starter. We've had him since Wilson, and he's not a player that will win you a top spot.

I said this in another thread, but imagine you'd seen the players we've released playing some number of times for another club, would you honestly think signing any one of them was a sign that we were building for promotion? If we were signing McEveley from Chesterfield I'd be giving up hope for the next campaign already. The managers haven't always been great for us but the players have been even worse and ought to take a fair shame of the blame like the people we've sacked.

Back
Top Bottom