Your best day as a Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There are a few candidates for me, but for overall happy-memories it has to be Darlington away May15th, 1982.
At that time, I was a young 19 years old and had started my Blades career in the early 70's with my earliest and fondest memories of the 74-75 season. I had been spoiled, nay ruined by the likes of Woody and TC.
The slide that followed only galvanised me into the type of fan that you have to be when you commit to a lifetime of following the Mighty Blades.
The 'fall from grace' into the dreaded bottom tier had reduced me to tears a mere 12 months before, but that special day at Feethams and the enjoyment of that season more than made up for it.
I was full of youthful vigour, felt I could take on the world and win, and was in the throes of a new relationship with a girl who was....well, you know what I mean.
From meeting in the boozer for a few looseners before the coach left, to returning on the same coach back to the new love of my life and all that promised, it was a day I'll never forget, even if some of those memories have been skewed slightly through the passage of time.
Memories like going through the turnstiles and having an unusual walk to get to the ground, seeing for the first (and only) time, an away ground completely full of Blades on all 4 sides. The incredible carnival-like atmosphere with a fan/player connection rarely witnessed before or since.
A top, top day and I still remember as I walked up those stairs hand in hand thinking "surely life just doesn't get any better than this" A simple, naive statement perhaps, but you know, in some ways it didn't.
I am still deciding mine but just a few other things to add to those happy memories.
A Policeman trying constantly to stop people climbing the floodlights, clearing one side of the pylon to then realise someone was climbing up the other until he decided Duh! He needed some help.
The fake Edwards subtitution.
Edwards boots and Brearley and others in the stand with speaches after the game.
All the Fancy dress and the A1 filled with Blades.
A truly fantastic day. Leicester or that? I cannot choose.

I've got loads of great memories but one that sticks out in my mind was the FA Cup 1/4 final against Charlton. The atmosphere was electric and is the only time I have ever seen a midfielder on the opposite team gesture to a player not more than 6m away that he couldn't hear him. I remember trying to imagine what the noise must sound like washing down from the three sides of the ground. I then got in and found that a Charlton fan had filmed our fans after the final whistle from the away end and you could hear they were equally awe struck! I really thought that was the launch pad for the club... But we all know how that ended .... It's the blades way!

Darlington !!! , Peterboro away (4-0) was a good night too

And 4th division was one of my best ever seasons watching United, fantastic away days outnumbering him fans everywhere we went.

After some thought, I'm going with the 2-0 win v pigs on a Sunday lunchtime 17th? October 1991. It was a bit nervy until Deane scored the 2nd through Woods' legs and then 3 sides of the ground burst into "Hark now hear..." - and never was it so true, that day finally throwing off nearly 12 years of torment. I was 20 and single too so the rest of the day was spent back in the Big Tree at Woodseats drinking and singing.

Watching us playing under legendary footballing guru Neil Warnock fight bravely for a 0-0 against Gillingham such as Mike Whitlow and Ashley Ward.

Then the informative and intriguing after match interview where he stated Real Madrid would have struggled to beat Gillingham as well as other fascinating insights on what Sharon had for breakfast, how Amy had been getting on at ther tennis lessons and about how he was looking forwards to retirement and watching Plymouth Argyle with William every week

Best, day as a Blade?

CRGIfH-WUAErazj.jpg

I find it cringeworthy when some say that promotion in 1982 was the best ever! 4th division? Come on!

For me it is

1) promotion 1971
2) 8 wins, 2 draws in first 10 games of 1971-72
3) promotion 1990
4) promotion 2006
5) 1974-75

Leicester, no doubt.

Darlo was ace, but 4th Div FFS
Forest in the Cup - thought I was going to wee when that OG went in
Arsenal FA Cup away draw (Whitehouse) and home win (Veart)
Arsenal in PL (Nade)
Holdsworth equaliser v Cov in Cup

Finally, my first ever game putting 7 past Ipswich, although for the emotional damage being a Blade has caused me over the years I should probably put that down as my worst!

I find it cringeworthy when some say that promotion in 1982 was the best ever! 4th division? Come on!

For me it is

1) promotion 1971
3) promotion 1990
4) promotion 2006
5) 1974-75

Errr, best DAY ever SB.
There's a clue in the title mate ;)

Brought up on Barry butlin and John Matthews so missed all the 70's fun.

Forest 2003 was a great game with a great atmosphere. I totally loved it

Forest 2014 was a fantastic last few minutes, "if porter scores" was brilliant.

Villa away (2014)was probably my favourite day ever though. We were still virtually bottom of division 3 and Collins was marking Benteke for gods sake.

The singing of "Shoreham boys", endlessly though the second half will stay with me forever, even after their equaliser which came after quite a bit of pressure, led to a silence that lasted about 2 seconds before the chanting started again. Never quite been involved in a day like that, which ended in victory (the game against Hull was similar, especially the applause at the end, but more glorious failure, of which I've really had my fill).

For me it is

1) promotion 1971
3) promotion 1990
4) promotion 2006
5) 1974-75

Errr, best DAY ever SB.
There's a clue in the title mate ;)

Ok

1) 27/4/71
2) 1/5/71
3) 18/9/71
4) 25/9/71
5) 17/8/71
6) 3/10/70
7) 5/5/90
8) 14/4/06
9) 12/5/75

Darlo day (I wasnt even there!) is way, way down the list

Ok

1) 27/4/71
2) 1/5/71
3) 18/9/71
4) 25/9/71
5) 17/8/71
6) 3/10/70
7) 5/5/90
8) 14/4/06
9) 12/5/75

Darlo day (I wasnt even there!) is way, way down the list

Well that's why you wouldn't know then SB!
If you had have been there you would have felt the same.
In fact there's a good chance you might even have been the one to post this thread instead of me!! ;)

Brought up on Barry butlin and John Matthews so missed all the 70's fun.

Forest 2003 was a great game with a great atmosphere. I totally loved it

Forest 2014 was a fantastic last few minutes, "if porter scores" was brilliant.

Villa away (2014)was probably my favourite day ever though. We were still virtually bottom of division 3 and Collins was marking Benteke for gods sake.

The singing of "Shoreham boys", endlessly though the second half will stay with me forever, even after their equaliser which came after quite a bit of pressure, led to a silence that lasted about 2 seconds before the chanting started again. Never quite been involved in a day like that, which ended in victory (the game against Hull was similar, especially the applause at the end, but more glorious failure, of which I've really had my fill).

I totally forgot about that Villa away day. Jesus Christ. I don't think I've ever gone more mental than when Flynn fucking buried the 2nd goal right in front of us. Such a perfect away day. Loved absolutely rinsing Benteke every time he skied it into us during the 1st half.

Personal moment for me, but the 1-0 win v Arsenal (Nade) just a brilliant day with my mates. One of the lads bet on 1-0 with nade goal and won about 500 quid. Booze on him all night then ended up bumming a hooker. Brilliant day.

Personal moment for me, but the 1-0 win v Arsenal (Nade) just a brilliant day with my mates. One of the lads bet on 1-0 with nade goal and won about 500 quid. Booze on him all night then ended up bumming a hooker. Brilliant day.

Can I like this more than once pls

Not sure it was my best ever day as a Blade, but i've never celebrated a winner like Shaun Miller's at Fulham in the FA Cup 2 years ago.

I remember walking back to the car and driving all the way back up to Sheffield saying to my dad "last minute giant killings like that just don't happen for Sheffield United"

Tried to tell everyone at work the same thing the following morning too but my voice had gone from the night before.

Well that's why you wouldn't know then SB!
If you had have been there you would have felt the same.
In fact there's a good chance you might even have been the one to post this thread instead of me!! ;)
We were already promoted (I saw the last two home games -Peterborough and Rochdale), I was glad to get out of the basement division which was an embarrassing period of our proud history, going to a small ground like Darlo didnt appeal to me (the only away games I went to that season was York and Peterborough)

There are a few candidates for me, but for overall happy-memories it has to be Darlington away May15th, 1982.
At that time, I was a young 19 years old and had started my Blades career in the early 70's with my earliest and fondest memories of the 74-75 season. I had been spoiled, nay ruined by the likes of Woody and TC.
The slide that followed only galvanised me into the type of fan that you have to be when you commit to a lifetime of following the Mighty Blades.
The 'fall from grace' into the dreaded bottom tier had reduced me to tears a mere 12 months before, but that special day at Feethams and the enjoyment of that season more than made up for it.
I was full of youthful vigour, felt I could take on the world and win, and was in the throes of a new relationship with a girl who was....well, you know what I mean.
From meeting in the boozer for a few looseners before the coach left, to returning on the same coach back to the new love of my life and all that promised, it was a day I'll never forget, even if some of those memories have been skewed slightly through the passage of time.
Memories like going through the turnstiles and having an unusual walk to get to the ground, seeing for the first (and only) time, an away ground completely full of Blades on all 4 sides. The incredible carnival-like atmosphere with a fan/player connection rarely witnessed before or since.
A top, top day and I still remember as I walked up those stairs hand in hand thinking "surely life just doesn't get any better than this" A simple, naive statement perhaps, but you know, in some ways it didn't.
Have to agree with you GCB that Darlo for me will always take some beating. I've bored my daughter and her fella (both big blades) silly with the stories of that day and some of the things that went on that just wouldn't be allowed today.
I was 15 at the time and went to 13 away matches that season on the football specials without my mums knowledge funded by selling fags at school
The day was a real carnival and the walk around the cricket pitch to get to the ground after entering through the turnstile a real novelty. We still needed a point to be champions. I spent at least 15 mins laid with the bottom half of my legs on the touch line, only moving them when the Lino ran past. I have also never seen a pitch narrow so much as blades encroached onto the pitch as those last minutes ticked by yet we played on!!
So many in fancy dress but for some reason I always remember a pissed up 30 something blade in kilt etc with a paint brush for a sporran!! Happy wonderful memories that will live in so many of us forever

Thinking about better days on a day like today just seems like looking back on a girlfriend who dumped you years ago who was the fittest lass you could ever dream of been with, only to be now married with an absolute troll of a lass who looks like Worzil Gumage and who's only interest is watching Big Brother.

And no, I'm not speaking from personal experience (other than the United analogy)!

Back
Top Bottom