Would you have swapped

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ndiaye and Berge for Archer, Hamer and Souza at the start of the season if you had the choice? Tough one as we don't know the relative impacts. But I'm beginning to think we have a chance now.
Swapping an Ace and an 8 for three Kings there, so Yes we now have 3 of a kind. But we won't own an ace again for a very long time.

Really depends on the context but I would swap 1 year of Berge and Ndiaye for many years of Archer, Souza, and Hamer.

An excellent point. At best, we were only going get one more year from Berge and Ndiaye, so that is a major factor in the decision.

Ndiaye and Berge for Archer, Hamer and Souza at the start of the season if you had the choice? Tough one as we don't know the relative impacts. But I'm beginning to think we have a chance now.
Really great question. Love owt like this me.

Hamer is a boss and just on his own I think he's a better player than Berge. But Ndiaye is definitely more valuable than Souza and Archer. But then Hamer can create for Archer and Souza can cover for him getting further forward. We might still miss a bit of Berge's ball carrying and Ndiaye was so good at winning the ball up high.

What was the question again?

No

I think a midfield 3 of Berge Souza and Hamer would have been perfect.

Archer - I still don't know enough about and being honest he was good for Boro, but i don't think he will have been in the same league as Ndiaye last year.

We're lacking a Didsy, are there any of them about?

Very different players and addressing different needs. Hamer I rated when I saw him 2 seasons ago at Coventry v Cardiff. He is a busy midfielder who has a nice range of skills. Souza, I would like to see a bit more of. Berge is better than both at when on the ball and driving at teams. We only saw him play really well in the last few games of the season. Overall would be happy with the change. Davies being a good addition.

I think that Ndyiae would struggle a bit in the PL.
He has great natural balance and is tricky but I think he needs to improve his passing. Quite often he doesn't get his head up. Again its not like for like and if Archer comes in it's to be the main striker playing further forward. We all know that Brewster and McBurnie aren't reliable and Osula and Jebbison are good but raw.

I think we are finally seeing the type of players that we needed for along time. It gives us a chance at staying up and hopefully won't break the bank.

Berge is better than both at when on the ball and driving at teams
I really hope not- because we saw this about 5 times in 97 matches- overall rating for Berge was 5/10 at best, overall rating for Ndiaye was 10/10.

Hamer is better than Berge, Archer if he's 2 thirds Ndiaye we have a gem.

Hamer is an overwhelming upgrade on Berge

He is also a partial replacement for Ndiaye

Archer was the stand out option to replace Ndiaye, as a permanent, as an asset. Not an identical player but plenty of similarities

Souza is a nice bonus and actually gives us the physicality Berge was assumed to by outsiders

I wouldn't swap any for Ndiaye individually but as a 3 v 2, we're stronger. Even as a 2 v 2 without Souza, it's close. Again, Hamer is an overwhelming upgrade in midfield

Get McAtee back and we'll undoubtedly be stronger. In fact I think he'd play better with Archer than he did with Ndiaye. Someone running behind the defence would bring more out of him

I just wonder that, if this Archer deal is structured in a way that is basically zero risk for us, could we not have held onto Ndiaye as well. Because as it is our net spend is effectively, possibly, about 6m

I think that Ndyiae would struggle a bit in the PL.
He has great natural balance and is tricky but I think he needs to improve his passing.
It takes some balls to come on here and say this, as Ndiaye was idolised by many, and it's unlikely that we will ever find out as to how good he could have been in the PL.
For what's it's worth I tend to agree with you, it would have just been great to see him perform at the highest level.
Although to be fair to him, playing in a struggling team in the PL can have a major impact on a player like Ndiaye, put him in a side that has plenty of possession and he would be a different player.
From watching our first two games the one thing we must learn to do is once we've got the ball is to not give it away cheaply.
With the signings we've now made I'm more hopeful for the future.

Definitely given contract lengths.
I would take Hamer over Berge even without Souza with equal contract lengths.

Not convinced on Archer. Archer imo seems to be essentially a one year deal, same as Ndiaye but I'm assuming we needed the money to make our other signings.

On a whole I think we have done good business.

Berge for Hamer is a no brainer for me. Just hope we see the best of Hamer and he isn’t Leon Britton mk2.

Definitely given contract lengths.
I would take Hamer over Berge even without Souza with equal contract lengths.

Not convinced on Archer. Archer imo seems to be essentially a one year deal, same as Ndiaye but I'm assuming we needed the money to make our other signings.

On a whole I think we have done good business.
Definitely done good business, losing 4 key players from last season but still managed to get some good replacements in, albeit not as quick as we would have liked.

Trusty - Hopefully fills that O'Connell sized hole at LCB.
Hamer - Upgrade on Berge.
Tom Davies - Valuable premier league experience and provides good cover in midfield.
Souza - The type of player we've lacked for years.
Archer - Even though losing Ndiaye is a big loss this is the closest thing we could get to a replacement.
Slimane and Traore - 2 good players with potential to grow with us.

I think it gives us a bit more balance and not being so reliant on two players for success. We've been crying out for a striker for a long time and Archer could be the answer for us, providing he doesn't go the way of Brewster, being nothing more than an overpaid cheerleader.

It'll be interesting how Ndiaye goes on for the next couple of years. I think if he'd stayed, there would have been games where he'd have looked like a world beater and others where he'd have been hooked after 60 minutes and looked out of his depth but it would have come through experience. He's not a number 9 type striker either and will have found himself doing a lot of chasing and would have been made to look very ineffective at times. He'd have run around all day but would have been to his detriment when he did receive the ball and perhaps overplay his hand when he did.

When Sander Berge turns up, he's a good player and is streets ahead of anyone in the Championship. I'm not sure he'd have been up for the battle with us this year and might have become this season's John Lundstram. I've said before that he's not an angry enough man to make a real success of it in the Premier League, he's a gentle giant and we really needed a big nasty bugger, hence signing Souza. I honestly think that Sander Berge's long term future is in the Bundesliga or Serie A where he can stroll around and look quite good, not relegation battles in the Premier League with us or Burnley.

However, the midfield has long needed a refresh and getting good players in who are ours is a key difference for us this season and establishing some balance in there with box to box types who can defend, score goals, pick passes when for ages we've had players who can do bits of but not all at once. 2019 John Fleck and 2023 Tommy Doyle are as close to that as we've had with little in between. Hamer and Souza (and Doyle if he comes back) could be quite the trio.

Definitely done good business, losing 4 key players from last season but still managed to get some good replacements in, albeit not as quick as we would have liked.

Trusty - Hopefully fills that O'Connell sized hole at LCB.
Hamer - Upgrade on Berge.
Tom Davies - Valuable premier league experience and provides good cover in midfield.
Souza - The type of player we've lacked for years.
Archer - Even though losing Ndiaye is a big loss this is the closest thing we could get to a replacement.
Slimane and Traore - 2 good players with potential to grow with us.
If I was being picky I would have liked Doyle on a permanent, at the same time I don't think not having him will define our season.

If we could get a striker with some experience now I'd give the window a solid 8/10.

If I was being picky I would have liked Doyle on a permanent, at the same time I don't think not having him will define our season.

If we could get a striker with some experience now I'd give the window a solid 8/10.
Yeah, with 2 domestic loans and overseas still to use (as long as the loan fees and wages aren't too much for us) there are some good options out there for loan deals.

McAtee or Pellistri would be the icing on the cake if Archer comes through the door.

Great question

Hamer I would swap for Berge on his own, so Souza is a bonus

Ndiaye was a generational talent, who we got to see close up, scoring 14 in 46 EFL games
Archer we didnt see close up every week, but he managed 11 in 20 for Boro, so on numbers alone a better player?

We will never know, as Ndiaye could have struggled week in week out against world class defenders, who possibly double up on him, then again so may Archer

What I do believe is that if we can get one of the City lads added to Hamer & Souza thats a better midfield
Get Traore firing alongside Archer and for the first time in a long time we have pace, skill and power up front

One more in defence, a decent No2 to push Wes and we are stronger than Wolves, Everton & Luton for sure

I wanted and expected at least 1, probably 2, of Doyle, OBrien and Smallbone arriving, on permanents ideally. The latter two seem to have been kiboshed by matters beyond our control, but this is disappointing for me because long term they'd have all been perfect, for either division. The problem with our 3 big spends - not only the midfield 2 but now Archer as well - is that they'll likely need replacing if relegated. Even if we receive good money, it's work to do, and we have to start again

The biggest problem though if it remains unaddressed is the left side of defence. Trusty doesn't fill me with confidence, and relying on Larouci for a position as key as LWB is a huge risk. Not to mention the right side, with Baldock's persistent niggles and Jayden Bourbon's perpetual biscuited state

Despite the above, I think we can manage a solid 7/10 window at least. McAtee is crucial

According to Darren, Souza was originally going to be a loan until we found the money to buy him permanently. So in that case, Berge for Hamer and Souza on loan is an absolute no-brainer. And we'd have kept Ndiaye

I would have swapped Berge for any of those, but not the other two for Ndiaye. He is probably the most electrifying player I have seen in my time.

Berge for Hamer is a no brainer for me

Yep, I don't think there's many that wouldn't have done that especially given the contract situation going forward, but the equation as a whole is very different, while Hamer >>> Berge there's a lot more >'s between Ndiaye and the rest of the deal

Not many players I would have swapped Ndiaye for.
None of them have arrived at the club.

A rare talent, and the sort that teams like ours rarely have.

So unless it’s Messi, Maradona, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, it’s a no.
Those players did everything and created their own goals. Didn’t need it on a plate for them to bury like Haaland seems to need.

For me he’s that good, and in 2 years expect he will be at a big club assuming no injuries or fall outs

Back
Top Bottom