Wilders Payoff

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Reaction score
I don't really know much about how managers contracts work with regard to payoffs. I know some remain on the payroll until their contract is up.

So assuming we hadn't finished paying Wilder off yet, would his new contract be on top of what he was still owed, or would remaining instalments (if any) have been cancelled?

Doubt he would come back if it hurt him in the pocket. He’s probably getting double bubble.

I don't really know much about how managers contracts work with regard to payoffs. I know some remain on the payroll until their contract is up.

So assuming we hadn't finished paying Wilder off yet, would his new contract be on top of what he was still owed, or would remaining instalments (if any) have been cancelled?
It's between Wilder and the Prince, we will never know. The so called figures quoted on here have no foundation whatsoever just hearsay.

I'll never understand how he got a payoff when allegedly it was him that wanted out? I thought payoffs were for when you got the sack?

What sort of pay-off do you THINK he got?

"Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder says his relationship with owner Prince Abdullah was "repaired a long time ago" after he replaced Paul Heckingbottom.

Wilder led the club from League One to ninth in the Premier League during his first spell, but left by mutual consent as they neared relegation in 2021."

The Prince said he's only sacked one manager (Slav). Wilder said he's only been sacked once (Boro). What payoff?

He had x amount of months left on his contract so got paid off remaining x months times what he was owed when he left. This is the pay off. Speculation was 3-4 million and the Prince said as much in one of his interviews at the time.

You would assume that:

a) this was sorted in discussions during the reappointment
b) it will be undisclosed

I always thought you couldn’t get another job if you were still being paid off but heard a rumour that Boro were still paying the team whilst they were at Watford so double bubble if true. . . Not itk about that I must stress

Normally managers will have a clause where if they get another job then their settlement would cease or you’d negotiate a one-off payment on leaving if you want a defined amount.

Some coaches in other sports manage to get a guaranteed payout though, but most football chairmen would run a mile from such deals.

Recent case where it happened in American Football at NCAA level, 10 year fully guaranteed contract:

I'll never understand how he got a payoff when allegedly it was him that wanted out? I thought payoffs were for when you got the sack?
Don’t people don’t understand that!

Payoffs are for when you get sacked. If you resign your walking away from compensation.

It’s taken years and most on here don’t understand it still.

Because if you're a football manager and make it known you want to leave, but don't actually resign, then the boss can either fire you, or you can negotiate a mutual exit.

Edit: weren't there rumours that he had offered his resignation, but the prince refused it? Wouldn't seem like particularly good business sense for either of them mind.

Last edited:

Don’t people don’t understand that!

Payoffs are for when you get sacked. If you resign your walking away from compensation.

It’s taken years and most on here don’t understand it still.
Not quite true. Payoffs occur in cases of resignation to avoid a claim for constructive dismissal. Payoffs are also made to buy someone’s silence, i.e. under a NDA. All wrapped up under a Settlement Agreement to allow both parties to draw a line under it with no subsequent claims or mudslinging.

I always thought you couldn’t get another job if you were still being paid off but heard a rumour that Boro were still paying the team whilst they were at Watford so double bubble if true. . . Not itk about that I must stress

Surely you can't someone get a new job if you've sacked them.

He had x amount of months left on his contract so got paid off remaining x months times what he was owed when he left. This is the pay off. Speculation was 3-4 million and the Prince said as much in one of his interviews at the time.

The Prince said Wilder asked for £4m, and he told him to swivel.

I can’t speak for football managers, but usually there would some clause that says “if so-and-so is reemployed at X during the period of this agreement, any new contract will supersede this… etc.”. At the time, the signing parties would think “yeah right… like that’s going to happen”.

I did wonder the same. But can't see it being a deal where he ends up £200 better off than not taking the job. Be a new deal at full whack.

Don't get this "pay off" stuff. If Wilder was sacked he gets a pay off (much as Hecky will). However Wilder left of his own accord so surely no pay off. That's how the real world works (ish) but I suppose this is football.

Wilder walked out through the 'back door' with a suitcase containing five million quid of the club's money, grinning and rubbing his hands with glee, remember?

Why?

It is irrelevant now.
Would it make you happier one way or another is the question?

I mean from a strictly contractual point of view if they hadn't finished paying him off which is probably quite unlikely given it's 3 years ago then I would imagine that goes out the window now as he's no longer "severed". I would suspect both parties would agree to ditch that.

But I reckon his "payoff" finished a while back.

Wilder walked out through the 'back door' with a suitcase containing five million quid of the club's money, grinning and rubbing his hands with glee, remember?
Read on Pork Talk it was closer to £10 million, and he used Bettis' new car to perform a summersault with double pike in the car park. He also didn't drop a bit of his pint of Peroni.
utb

Does anyone know the length of Wilder's contract because I thought it was 18 months but football insider saying this morning it's till end of the season with an option of another season?

5 million. We could have got another Traore or half a Souza for that. Fumin'. 😤

Does anyone know the length of Wilder's contract because I thought it was 18 months but football insider saying this morning it's till end of the season with an option of another season?
Bettis said to the end of next season in the press conference yesterday

Back
Top Bottom