Why is Bramall Lane not a listed building?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

even that wasn't 'original'.... I thought there was a wooden stand there which was demolished for safety reasons and replaced by the Kop, doesn't the old film footage v Bury show it?

I thought (slightly counter intuitively) that wooden framed structures were the norm until the first Ibrox Stadium disaster in about 1900 when one collapsed under the weight of spectators.

Not sure when the battle of Spion Kop was, and its hardly conclusive proof but I think it was well after 1855 or whenever Bramall Lane opened as a stadium.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop

just to say 'Hear Hear'... I worked for about 3 months at Bournville...... I know its twee, I know its Dry, but its flippin. gorgeous....I boarded at a B&B across the road from the Sport's Ground - totally 'Arts 'n' Crafts'... I think a beautiful coffee table book of drawings of quaint cricket pavillions is well overdue, I'd do it miself, but I'd only get ripped off halfway down the line......

I think Chris Arnot's two books, Britain's Lost Cricket Grounds (which includes a good section on our very own Bramall Lane) and Britain's Lost Cricket Festivals, covers much of what you suggest!

Unfortunately the buildings are not of Great historical or architectural merit. Even though the ground has witnessed some significant historical events it's the structures that need to be significant

You would think somewhere that has witnessed such suffering would merit some sort of award.

When we eventually move to a suburban bowl Bramall Lane will be bulldozed to the ground and an extension to China Town will be built

If memory serves, at Highbury the pitch and the facades of the stands were listed so had to be kept when it was converted to flats. You can't just list a stadium but the pitch maybe.

Bexhill United have this perfectly kept quaint little grandstand in tip-top condition since 1929

bexhill-united-3.jpg

Makes you realize like vorpal blade said, if these little preserved gems of architecture that are the fabric of our game and life end up in the wrong hands theyre entrusted to like Wolverton United they end up being run down deliberately and lost to greedy developers.

The Trinity Road stand at Villa Park should've been listed in my view. One of the loveliest bits of architecture to be found at a football ground. Replaced by a featureless glass and cladding facade instead...

View attachment 20970
A real travesty that this splendid building was razed to the ground.
The footnote on this picture says it was a "good result" because the contractor was a Blue Nose...
upload_2016-12-4_9-41-13.png

Bexhill United have this perfectly kept quaint little grandstand in tip-top condition since 1929

bexhill-united-3.jpg

Makes you realize like vorpal blade said, if these little preserved gems of architecture that are the fabric of our game and life end up in the wrong hands theyre entrusted to like Wolverton United they end up being run down deliberately and lost to greedy developers.

It looks like a racing stand in miniature!

I'm a fan of the 1881 Grandstand at Donny, this was always a bit 'below the salt' compared to the ten-bob billionaires & fat girls squeezed into primani glamour puss gear nearer the winning-post...... still, the terraces are made out of solid stone steps and the architecture is strong enough to overcome any thoughtless latterday interventions on the part of the corporation architects' dept..

There's an atmosphere of 'loss' in the bar beneath rather than the mask-like joie-de-vivre worn by the aformentioned Jack and Jill-the-lads sipping counterfeit shampoo all day in the 'County Enclosure'....

ukdoncaster07m.jpg

I'm a fan of the 1881 Grandstand at Donny, this was always a bit 'below the salt' compared to the ten-bob billionaires & fat girls squeezed into primani glamour puss gear nearer the winning-post...... still, the terraces are made out of solid stone steps and the architecture is strong enough to overcome any thoughtless latterday interventions on the part of the corporation architects' dept..

There's an atmosphere of 'loss' in the bar beneath rather than the mask-like joie-de-vivre worn by the aformentioned Jack and Jill-the-lads sipping counterfeit shampoo all day in the 'County Enclosure'....

View attachment 20987

Great view from the top of that terrace too!

agreed there was a lovely scheme in the early 1990s to re-build Craven Cotage stadium as a set-piece incorporating the old stand (on Stevenage Road??) but the local - they've never had it so good - yuppy home-owners objected to it, well they would wouldn't they, they were brought up on Rugby Union....

Instead we have a make-do and mend hotch-potch of distribution centre style rooves to 'compliment' the million pound terraced houses and the glorious riverside location, location, location.

Here's what they could have won.....

Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 17.39.39.png Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 20.03.31.png this is what they've got

BUT, the first scheme doesn't seem to include the cottage..? Why the hell there isn't access to bars and restaurants over looking the river all week is beyond me - I though Al Fayed was an entrepreneur?

Bramall Lane as a building has nothing about it that deserves listing, and if it was listed would make repairs more expensive and alterations or expansion difficult as any work would need consent. What if should have is some kind of covenant that protects the primary use of the land as a sporting venue (it possibly does already, many historically significant sporting venues do), but listing it wouldn't be a positve thing.

One little gem that is still standing proud is this..
The pavillion at the Cadbury Athletic sports ground which is used for football and cricket in Bourneville next to the chocolate world, built in 1902.

View attachment 20966 View attachment 20967 View attachment 20968

I played cricket there last year. The ground is suffering from lack of investment since Cadbury's went American, and you have to change and have tea in the basement as the rest of the building is rented out as a gymnasium.

I was told that Park Hill flats was listed as it's the "only example of multi story flats of different heights who's roofs are all at the same level" presumably as it's built on the side of a hill.
probably cos the stalinists that listed it don't have to live there

I played cricket there last year. The ground is suffering from lack of investment since Cadbury's went American, and you have to change and have tea in the basement as the rest of the building is rented out as a gymnasium.

Thats just terrible to hear although kind of not surprising at the same time considering theyve run slipshod all over the rest of what Cadburys were in every way possible.

Wrecking the joint and running it down :(

Makes you wonder...the cynical part of the brain says its all a deliberate ploy to exploit that beautiful green space with some profiteering racket.

Park Hill flats is listed, who's fuckin idea was that?

People wanted to list the eggbox and the cooling towers at Blackburn Meadows too. Bonkers.
The cricket pavillion should have been saved - very shortsighted - but nothing else about the ground is worthy of a listing. I agree there should be some sort of legal protection that prevents the primary use of the place ever being other than a sports facility, but that wouldn't prevent SUFC from moving away.
If the club ever did move away, there's a possibility it would end my support. Who can ever know, but it would severely test it.

People wanted to list the eggbox and the cooling towers at Blackburn Meadows too. Bonkers.
The cricket pavillion should have been saved - very shortsighted - but nothing else about the ground is worthy of a listing. I agree there should be some sort of legal protection that prevents the primary use of the place ever being other than a sports facility, but that wouldn't prevent SUFC from moving away.
If the club ever did move away, there's a possibility it would end my support. Who can ever know, but it would severely test it.

Th e only good thing about us getting nuked during Threads was seeing the Eggbox go.

How could the cricket pavilion have been saved given its position?

Should try get the Corner between theKo

Isn't the Substation on Hanover Way listed too? Interesting link taken from Sheffield council website listing Sheffield listed buildings. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/sc...Sheffield_s Listed Buildings January 2014.pdf

How could the cricket pavilion have been saved given its position?

I don't know precisely where it was/how far from the edge of the current pitch it was, or what the construction was, but these things can be incorporated or, in certain circumstances, moved. That sort of thing wasn't considered in those days, but I'm sure it would have been looked at as part of a modern re-build today.

Should try get the Corner between theKo

Isn't the Substation on Hanover Way listed too? Interesting link taken from Sheffield council website listing Sheffield listed buildings. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/planning/conservation/listed-buildings/Sheffields-Listed-Buildings-January-2014/Sheffield_s Listed Buildings January 2014.pdf

Buildings are listed for all sorts of odd reasons. I agree with the principle and like to see old heritage sites saved/restored, but some of the listed modern buildings are just eye-sores.

Buildings are listed for all sorts of odd reasons. I agree with the principle and like to see old heritage sites saved/restored, but some of the listed modern buildings are just eye-sores.

Totally agree. Noticed the CO-OP building is listed. Me dad told me that the figure on the side would come alive and eat me if I didn't behave..

Back
Top Bottom