Why don't we sign players from our League?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think we need to find the right balance between the following categories:-

1. Best players of League 1 (that we can attract in league 1).

2. Best young players from League 2 and lower (young prospects like Adams)

3. The odd old head from the championship (only a sprinkling though- McCall type leaders if we can identify them)

4. PL or upper championship kids struggling to make the breakthrough at their parent clubs. We’ve seen the likes of Blackman, Freeman, Coady etc. provide value from this category. I look at players like Uche Ikpeazu, Cole (Larnell and Devante), Keshi Anderson, Ryan Innis, George Evans, Nathan Byrne, Daniel Johnson, Michail Antonio, Ben Marshall, Matt Phillips, Billy Sharp and Steven Quinn (when we sold/loaned to lower league teams from higher up) and think there is real value to be had in that market either on loan or permanent deals.

5. A gem or two from our overseas scouting that is not known to others.
AND GET WARNOCK BACK.

A question asked time and time again by supporters yet largely falls on deaf ears. It's a proven method of getting promoted from this league. It isn't difficult.

Charlton did it, Wolves did it, Bristol did it, all went up at a canter. Wigan are about to do the same.
We continue to sign old 'mates' on a big wage from the league above after one last payday, often crocked or past it. Rather than signing young, hungry players who are doing it in the league right now.

One big positive from our past year has been Matt Done, a player who was on a great run and continued it here. Are our board so totally stupid that they continue to think they way they've been doing things is a good way?

I'd swap all of our 'big names' for a Bradshaw, a Moncur, a Dack.

It's not too late if we change our complete transfer policy. Out with the old in with the new. Literally.

For the last 5 years we've tried to sign players for the Championship ....... the problem is they can't hack it in this fu**ing agricultural Division !!

Somebody needs to advise our "transfer committee" that we've got to get promoted before we can play in the Championship and that's NOT going to happen any time soon and certainly NOT with this squad of underperformers that we are lumbered with .....

UTB & FTP

Sky did a documentary on Warnock aptly named "Warnock".

In that our Neil goes to see the Board and outlines the current situation with the squad. One of his points, is that in true Warnock fashion, he fancied a new Striker to get us up the league.

Kevin McCabe suggests "What about a big name like Duncan Ferguson at Everton?" Warnock replies that although a Ferguson type figure would in the short term put a couple of thousand on the gate, we needed a young striker to get us up in the Premier League. He goes on to mention that he had heard Jon Stead at Blackburn might be available, he is then interrupted by some twat asking if he was planning on sending any players out on loan.

That was 2004 and I imagine not will have changed in board meetings today, apart from a few faces.

Found it:

There is someone in that boardroom meeting who I wish was still here, Derek Dooley. The rest look like a set of businessmen who have no fucking idea how to run a football club. The look on one of their faces as Warnock said we're not good enough to go up said it all. Penny pinching cunts.

For the last 5 years we've tried to sign players for the Championship ....... the problem is they can't hack it in this fu**ing agricultural Division !!

Somebody needs to advise our "transfer committee" that we've got to get promoted before we can play in the Championship and that's NOT going to happen any time soon and certainly NOT with this squad of underperformers that we are lumbered with .....

UTB & FTP
Do you not watch the championship? It looks like it's still pretty physical to me. I just can't get my head round the idea that a championship player can't deal with playing in L1. None of our players would look any better in the championship, they'd look worse, that's why they got bombed out from their clubs and ended up with us.
Otherwise, we could just sell them back to championship clubs and spend the money on a bunch of thugs.

Do you not watch the championship? It looks like it's still pretty physical to me. I just can't get my head round the idea that a championship player can't deal with playing in L1. None of our players would look any better in the championship, they'd look worse, that's why they got bombed out from their clubs and ended up with us.
Otherwise, we could just sell them back to championship clubs and spend the money on a bunch of thugs.

But some might be OK at certain jobs for a mid-table team in either league but lack the attributes to grab games by the scruff of the neck and be involved in a promotion campaign.

43:25 of that Warnock documentary could be about our current team...

I've seen more passion while watching that documentary than I have in the past 5 seasons at the Lane.

But some might be OK at certain jobs for a mid-table team in either league but lack the attributes to grab games by the scruff of the neck and be involved in a promotion campaign.
In that if you took one of several of our players and put them in a team of ten other good players they wouldn't look like the twats they look like now true but apart from Che, KWall and maybe Baxter which ones will ever play higher than L1 again? Brayford if his injury hasn't ruined him, maybe the loanees might get picked up on frees.

In that if you took one of several of our players and put them in a team of ten other good players they wouldn't look like the twats they look like now true but apart from Che, KWall and maybe Baxter which ones will ever play higher than L1 again? Brayford if his injury hasn't ruined him, maybe the loanees might get picked up on frees.

If played correctly, I think Matt Done could make the step up.

If you have no credible scouting set up then all you are left with are 'old mates'.
Adkins probably asked to see the scouting database on day 1 and was handed a dog chewed notebook containing the names of half a dozen Scottish midgets and an assortment of Derby County reserves.
That's brilliant:D

The OP is probably right but the problem you will have is offloading our over the hill, over paid rubbish. Unlikely anyone will pay them what they probably get playing for us.

A question asked time and time again by supporters yet largely falls on deaf ears. It's a proven method of getting promoted from this league. It isn't difficult.

Charlton did it, Wolves did it, Bristol did it, all went up at a canter. Wigan are about to do the same.
We continue to sign old 'mates' on a big wage from the league above after one last payday, often crocked or past it. Rather than signing young, hungry players who are doing it in the league right now.

One big positive from our past year has been Matt Done, a player who was on a great run and continued it here. Are our board so totally stupid that they continue to think they way they've been doing things is a good way?

It's not too late if we change our complete transfer policy. Out with the old in with the new. Literally.
Unfortunately for us, we don't learn from previous fuck ups. As such, we are condemned to repeat the same mistakes time and time again.

W
Sky did a documentary on Warnock aptly named "Warnock".

In that our Neil goes to see the Board and outlines the current situation with the squad. One of his points, is that in true Warnock fashion, he fancied a new Striker to get us up the league.

Kevin McCabe suggests "What about a big name like Duncan Ferguson at Everton?" Warnock replies that although a Ferguson type figure would in the short term put a couple of thousand on the gate, we needed a young striker to get us up in the Premier League. He goes on to mention that he had heard Jon Stead at Blackburn might be available, he is then interrupted by some twat asking if he was planning on sending any players out on loan.

That was 2004 and I imagine not will have changed in board meetings today, apart from a few faces.

Found it:

Nice documentary that. The only manager in my memory who had a 'cult of personality'. Teams didn't play against us, they played against him.

Because we are literally thick as fuck from top to bottom

Some of the players we could have had during our time in this league:

Luke Freeman
Nathan Byrne
Moses Odubajo
Luke Ayling
Callum Wilson
Ryan Woods
Joe Garner
Adam Forshaw
Lewis Grabban
Aden Flint

Back
Top Bottom