Where are they now? United 5-3 Bournemouth, League One, 1 September 2014

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
Where are they now?
Sheffield United 5 (Flynn 2, Cofie, Cresswell, Blackwell (p)) Bournemouth 3 (Elphick, Barnard, Pugh)
League One, Bramall Lane, 1 September 2012

GK 1 Mark Howard. Came through the youth ranks at Arsenal but didn’t make a senior appearance for the Gunners. Joined United from Blackpool in February 2012, initially as backup for Steve Simonsen but became first choice after Simonsen’s release in the summer of 2012. Injured at Leyton Orient in the October, Howard lost his place to George Long before reclaiming the spot in February 2014 for the FA Cup win at Fulham. Informed by Chris Wilder that he wouldn’t be first choice Howard left United in July 2016, joining Bolton and playing against us twice in the following League One season. Two seasons at the Trotters were followed by spells at Blackpool, Scunthorpe and Carlisle before he dropped into non-league with Disney FC. Lost his place there to 41 year old Ben Foster for the National League run in and is now backup to Arsenal loanee Arthur Okonkwo.

RB 29 Tony McMahon. Another summer 2012 signing, McMahon joined on a free transfer from Middlesbrough and spent one and a half seasons at the Lane. His United high point was undoubtedly the two free kicks at Crawley; the low points the frequent running battles with the opposing winger. Nigel Clough bombed him out to Blackpool in exchange for Bob Harris in January 2014; McMahon spent 18 months at Bloomfield Road before joining Bradford City in 2015. Unsuccessful spells at Oxford and Scunthorpe followed before a final playing season at Darlington. Now assistant to Neil Ardley at National League York City.

CB 15 Neill Collins. Ended up exiled by Clough who preferred anyone else at centre half, a decision which culminated in the ridiculous 5-5 draw at Swindon in the 2014/15 playoffs. Outlasted his nemesis by half a season before moving to Tampa Bay Rowdies in the second tier of US football. Retired there and moved into management, he was the Rowdies’ Head Coach for nearly 5 years before moving back to the UK to take the manager role at Barnsley after their play-off failure last season. Probably still blaming Harry Maguire for any mistakes

CB 5 Harry Maguire. forced his way out of United after the 2013/14 season, overcoming sunstroke to join Steve Bruce’s Hull but found an obstacle in the shape of the manager’s son in his way. Became a first choice after Judas’s departure and earned a £17m move to Leicester where his continued good form attracted a lunatic £80m move to Manchester United. Dropped down the pecking order under ten Hag but has fought his way back into contention and recognition at Old Trafford and is probably now first choice.

LB 6 Matt Hill. Whole-hearted defender who made nearly 90 appearances for us. Primarily a left back but frequently filled in at centre half where he won a surprising number of headers for someone only 5’7” tall. Retired after spells at Tranmere, Bradford PA and Stafford Rangers and is now managing the latter. Son James chose to join Bournemouth over United in 2021/22 but has yet to break through at the Cherries; he’s currently on loan at Blackburn.

RM 16 David McAllister. We picked McAllister up as a 21-year-old from St Pat’s in Ireland, he joined in the disastrous Championship relegation season. He was a bit-part player at the Lane but had a successful loan spell at Shrewsbury and later moved permanently to the New Meadow. The latter part of his two year spell at the Shrews was affected by injury, as was a subsequent two year spell at Stevenage. Moved back to Ireland with Shamrock Rovers in 2017 but his injuries forced his retirement at the age of 29. He is now assistant manager at Dublin-based Irish top flight club Shelbourne FC.

CM 11 Kevin McDonald. Signed on a free from Burnley after we were relegated to League One in 2011 on an initial one-year deal, McDonald became integral to Danny Wilson’s side. Eventually signed for a further two years after his initial deal expired but that contract included a £750k release clause which was triggered by fellow League One side Wolves in August 2013. After three years at Wolves including being part of the record-breaking title winning team in 2013/14 McDonald moved to Fulham where he became a crowd favourite. He was diagnosed with a severe renal illness in 2020, missing the 2020/21 season with Fulham and eventually requiring a transplant and against the odds he has made it back into professional football: short term deals at Dundee United (2021/22) and Exeter (2022/23) before signing a two-year deal at Bradford City in the summer.

CM 8 Michael Doyle. While you could never question Doyle’s commitment or application and while he will forever be fondly remembered for the Cockney walk celebration after the penalty shootout victory over West Ham at the Boleyn, the fact remains that United finished lower in every season he was at the Lane bar his last. Has endeared himself to Portsmouth, Coventry and now Notts County fans since leaving United: he was still playing at National League level at the age of 40. Became assistant head coach at Notts County in 2021, moved to Forest Green in 2022 with ex-County boss Ian Burchnall but left when Burchnall and his team were sacked in January with Forest Green floundering at the bottom of League One.

LM 7 Ryan Flynn. Lightweight Scottish winger who flattered to deceive despite coming having a spell in the Liverpool academy. Joined United from boyhood club Falkirk and made over 150 appearances in red and white, scoring some critical goals including the winner at Villa in the FA cup run. Another who left United in the summer of 2016, he joined Oldham but left there in 2018 to join St Mirren where he has a bit-part role as they push for European qualification in the Scottish Premiership

ST 19 John Cofie. Came from Manchester under great hype but didn't have the heart to be a professional footballer. Spells at Barnsley, Molde, Crawley, Wrexham, Telford, Southport, Bradford Park Avenue, Stalybridge and then sides in Ireland and the Philippines. Last seen coaching at a Lancashire school but due to appear in court in February 2024 having been charged with rape.

ST 17 Nick Blackman. spent 6 months at United, scoring 11 goals in 28 appearances having signed from Blackburn for £50k. We sold him to Reading for £1.2m a few days after the cup defeat there. Last at Maccabi Tel Aviv but has been without a club for the past two years; previously at Derby - who paid Reading over £3m for him, a lot of money for a player whose main goal threat is from the penalty spot.

Subs

25 George Long (GK). Academy product who made 123 appearances but became a lightening rod for fans’ criticism. Made 31 appearance in the shambolic 2015/16 season but only four more appearances following the Wilder revolution, he moved to Wimbledon on loan in 2017/18 after spending the rest of the 2016/17 season on the bench. Left permanently for Hull in the summer of 2018 before moving to Millwall and then to Norwich in the summer of 2023. Has become a solid Championship keeper, as one sage poster predicted back in 2016 https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/senseless-abuse-of-george-long.48442/post-1080067

2 Daryl Westlake. It's still incomprehensible to me that he a) had a professional career and b) we paid a transfer fee for him: last seen at Stourbridge in 2016

12 Shaun Miller. Brought in from Crewe but wasn’t quite the same after sustaining a horror knee injury on Boxing Day 2012. Became a bit of a cult hero, stooping to head in at Fulham to win the FA Cup 4th round replay for what would be his final Blades goal before spending the final three months of his United contract on loan at Shrewsbury. Released at the end of the 2013/14 season, Miller had spells at Coventry, Morecambe, Carlisle, Crewe and Bolton before dropping into non-league football with Nantwich. Spent last season at NPL Division One side Kidsgrove but I can’t tell whether he’s still there.

17 Richard Cresswell. Overcame the doubters to become a fan favourite at the Lane. Left United for a swansong at boyhood club York City before retiring and taking on academy roles, first at the Minstermen and then at Leeds. Left his role as Head of Academy Operations at Leeds in 2019 to become a Mr 15%. Son Charlie is a centre half for Leeds and has 14 England U21 caps.

18 Matthew Harriott. Joined from Luton but never realised the potential we saw in him. Floated around the north London/south Midlands non-league system (Hayes & Yeading, Wealdstone, Bedford, Hendon) before joining Barton Rovers this summer

24 Joe Ironside. another tale of too much pressure on a young player who probably wasn't good enough, Ironside didn't score in 16 appearances and dropped into non-league with Alfreton and Nuneaton before a successful spell at Kidderminster caught the eye of Macclesfield who brought him back into League football. Moved to Cambridge in 2020 after one season with the Silkmen and scored a memorable FA Cup goal against Newcastle; Ironside is now at Doncaster in League Two.

30 Marcus Williams. Initially signed as cover for the striken Lecsinel Jean-François before joining permanently in January 2012. Didn’t feature much as he wasn’t very good before joining Scunthorpe on a free in January 2014. Two seasons at Glanford Park was followed by one in Kerala and then two at non-league Guiseley before he retired in 2018.

Bournemouth

Shwan Jalal: now goalkeeper coach at Newcastle.

Simon Francis: assistant first team technical director at Bournemouth

Tommy Elphick: assistant coach at Bournemouth

Miles Addison: still playing at Stratford Town (tier 7)

Marc Pugh: now a PT with a blog here: https://thefoodiefootballer.com/

Shaun MacDonald: playing for Penybont in the Welsh Premier

Charlie Daniels: U18s coach at Watford

Joe Partington: playing for St Albans City (tier 6)

Eunan O’Kane: retired but was half of the first couple to have a recognised humanist wedding in Northern Ireland

Lewis Grabban: without a club having left Al Ahli before the money really started rolling in. Tongue in cheek Instagram bio describes him as a “world class second division striker”

Luke Barnard: no idea. Think he last played for Holland FC, whoever they are

Subs

Darryl Flahavan (GK): goalkeeper coach at Wigan

Stéphane Zubar: last seen back in his native Guadeloupe with Sporting Club Baie-Mahault

Matt Tubbs: manager of Poole Town

Richard Hughes: technical director at Bournemouth

Josh McQuoid: playing at Weymouth (tier 6), announced a cancer diagnosis in April with which I wish him all the best

I was talking about this game with a couple of friends this afternoon and they found it hard to remember the stunning goal Cofey scored was just before halftime ? I would love another game like that tomorrow.

Just dropping a reply to say I enjoyed this and appreciate the work.

Also, here's a completely unrelated screenshot linking to an article published about four hours after you started this thread, presented without further comment.

View attachment 175129
Next they'll be doing articles about our players out on loan.😉

We could have only dreamed of 5 goals scored in 2014 under start with a point Clough....

Also, here's a completely unrelated screenshot linking to an article published about four hours after you started this thread, presented without further comment.

View attachment 175129
I saw that after I posted this thread. I could show you the version history in my Word doc but in reality I like to think that my sporadic series on here has generated stringer's on the Star's website.

I spent ten minutes trying to remember this game. Didn't seem like an easy one to forget. Then I asked my wife when we left Yorkshire and apparently it was a long time before this happened😄

View attachment 175129

It really is hard to believe why so many of us hate the paper these days...

View attachment 175129
For my sins, I read the first page of the clickbait article that Danny has ‘done’ and it’s quite evidently a copy of Balham’s post.

Good money in clicks.

Must read story here............

Back
Top Bottom