What's our best XI?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In my team Murphy would be an out and out winger with Allcock right hand side of back 3. Doyle would have defensive responsibilities when Murphy has pushed on.

Flynn would be a conventional wing back which is natural to him but I would expect him to push on more than he does.

Bear in mind we are at home tonight. I would play 4-5-1 away from home.

If Murphy plays as an out and out winger its not 3-5-2 is it

Tonight, assuming all fit bar J Wallace & Davies -
Howard,
Alcock McCarthy McCevely Harris
Flynn Basham Doyle Scougall Murphy
O'Grady
JCR, McNulty, Turner, Reed, McGahey + 2 on bench
A fully fit Wallace & Davies might see a different starting XI

Tonight, assuming all fit bar J Wallace & Davies -
Howard,
Alcock McCarthy McCevely Harris
Flynn Basham Doyle Scougall Murphy
O'Grady
JCR, McNulty, Turner, Reed, McGahey + 2 on bench
A fully fit Wallace & Davies might see a different starting XI

I think that will be the team if Alcock is fit but if he hasn’t recovered from his back injury it gives us a major problem, doesn’t it?

Basham was very poor at right back against Notts County and a better team would have exploited him twice losing the ball in dangerous positions.
He also offered nothing going forward, other than a general reluctance to overlap and a couple of overhit crosses when he did.
Who would replace Basham in midfield if he plays at right back? Is a combination of Scougall, Reed and Doyle much too diminutive and lightweight?

Flynn at right back should be much better offensively but would he be strong enough defensively against the league’s top scorers?
Would we be even more vulnerable at set pieces due to having even less height on the pitch?
We may be best to try McCevely at right back if Alcock doesn’t make it but I wouldn’t expect him to get forward much either.

Hurry back Alcock and/or Davies!

I would expect Basham to continue at RB if Alcock unfit and yes, some of his play/touch did concern against Notts Co, but he is experienced enough to get over those hiccups.
We can cover the central midfield 3 comfortably if Basham goes to right back, rather than stick a left footer or Flynn there, which would disturb us more than Basham at RB.

Not in your opinion.

3-5-2 is a wing back system thats why its flexible you have 3 at the back when you have the ball with the wing backs attacking
and you still have two strikers but the wing backs also have to defend when the oppostion have the ball and you then you have 5 defending and can swamp them in midfield during general play what you want to play is not a 3-5-2

Back
Top Bottom