What makes us different to the pigs?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

William Large

Reaction score
The majority of Blades and pigs are from and live in, the same city / county. We share the same workplaces, go to the same shops and parks, drink in the same places and most of us have friends and / or family on the other side. Some of them are actually alright - I'd go as far as to say that despite their failings, some are top lads / lasses.

Having followed the blades for years, home and away, I see my fair share of nob heads who also follow the blades, sometimes I'm ashamed that we 'support' the same club.

Despite all this, there is definitely something that sets us apart from them. You can very often spot them before they declare or display their allegiance when you first come across them. I would say that I'm seldom wrong when judging someone as blade or pig. I'm lucky in that the majority of my family are blades. You hear some horror stories from blades whose entire rest of the family are pigs.

So what is it? Apart from a geographical choice of who to follow, there is definitely something different about them. Is it something that has happened over the 80's when they were generally above us? Is it because of their rumbelows cup win, is is it something genetic or is it something that is grown over time?

The majority of Blades and pigs are from and live in, the same city / county. We share the same workplaces, go to the same shops and parks, drink in the same places and most of us have friends and / or family on the other side. Some of them are actually alright - I'd go as far as to say that despite their failings, some are top lads / lasses.

Having followed the blades for years, home and away, I see my fair share of nob heads who also follow the blades, sometimes I'm ashamed that we 'support' the same club.

Despite all this, there is definitely something that sets us apart from them. You can very often spot them before they declare or display their allegiance when you first come across them. I would say that I'm seldom wrong when judging someone as blade or pig. I'm lucky in that the majority of my family are blades. You hear some horror stories from blades whose entire rest of the family are pigs.

So what is it? Apart from a geographical choice of who to follow, there is definitely something different about them. Is it something that has happened over the 80's when they were generally above us? Is it because of their rumbelows cup win, is is it something genetic or is it something that is grown over time?
The rivalry started in 1889 as WalthamstowBlade explains

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/united-1889-1891.15249/

The hardcore Wednesday support are OK and similar to us.

It's the part time glory hunters I can't stand.
I remember loads in the early 90's swearing their underlying love for SW
Now the same people go once or twice a season and still ramble on about the massive regaining their
rightful place alongside Man Utd and Liverpool etc and if only they has another David Hirst etc.

Actually it's the fans that hardly ever go to matches that are usually the most unbalanced and critical.
They act like genuine fanatics but only ever bother to turn up for big matches.

Don't ever make the mistake of having sympathy for them though because I remember how horrible and arrogant their fans can be when doing well. Many no where to be seen now.

Last edited:
The hardcore Wednesday support are OK and similar to us.

It's the part time glory hunters I can't stand.
I remember loads in the early 90's swearing their underlying love for SW
Now the same people go once or twice a season and still ramble on about the massive regaining their
rightful place alongside Man Utd and Liverpool etc and if only they has another David Hirst etc.

Actually it's the fans that hardly ever go to matches that are usually the most unbalanced and critical.
They act like genuine fanatics but only ever bother to turn up for big matches.

That might have something to do with being refused a new mortgage to buy a ticket, but someone has to pay for £10m bids for other championship players.

The truth of the matter, however hard it might be to accept, is that for the most part, there is precious little that "sets us apart" in answer to the OP.

How many genuinely great pals you got that are pig fans ?

Obvious footballing alegencies put to one side, how different are these great pals to you and I ?

Not much I suspect.

Not sure about the optimist / pessimist thing. Suspect it goes in cycles closely correlated to the respective fortunes of each club.

Still can't stand the fact we can't overtake their league position.

Yet !

UTB
FTP

You can spot a pig a mile off...they usually have a 'massive' chip on both shoulders

Wendies have delusions of grandeur (based on their vast attendances*, more than any achievement in the real world).
We just realise we're sh*t - that any success comes as a great, unexpected bonus.

* or "Income per Punter Ratio" or whatever nonsense it is they're measuring their Proven Massiveness by these days...

we are realistic , and give credit to other teams and their fans
they are massive, but are a bit vague in which area that is , over this century so far is been massively in debt

they apparently own the city , considering they cant afford an academy its hard to understand how
I think they all must be Hebrew because they follow a god called Wawaw, jews have Yahweh must be similar

Pigs generally grew up being told they were massive and better than everyone else including us. The rest of us just grew up glad we aren't like those pricks

We are exactly the same, we both say "this is the year" every year just because we've got a new manager and then fail. Except the difference is our manager actually has a reputation and he's just foreign making them think they had the next Jose but really they had the next Portuguese Brain Laws. And we actually look like a good side this season unlike them

they base their "superiority "on winning the league cup , 1 trophy in 80 years
oh and magnificent glory nights in europe , which is in fact beating Spora Luxemborg
a team as good as stocksbridge park steels
it is a fact our overall league record is superior and wednesday have suffered 2 more relegations than us , but they ignore bad years , they never happened , another difference from us

I'll offer a difference - think Real and Athletico in Madrid.

UTB

Big differance , one supported by the Franco regime and the other by dock workers with communist backing . May not be the same today , but the roots of history are still there . Good analogy .

For me , with no logic to it , the differance between the Sheffield clubs started in the 60s . SWFC had the new cantalever stand , FA Cup final , World Cup group ground .

We had a 3 sided , out dated ground , but a magical kop , especially for night matches. SWFC were classed as Everton , the academy of football by a certain football radio pundit, at the time .

SWFC espected everything , we expected nothing but being entertained.

Home is were the heart is , BDTBL , and i believe we have more heart - simple as that , for me anyway.

UTB

Their cup win definitely had a lot to do with the sense of superiority that they have and in their minute brains seems to justify how they compare our rivalry to that of Liverpool v Everton or Man U v Man City in terms of local dominance.

They had a longer spell in the Premier League and won the cup but we then obliterated them for 15 years and had it not been for a bizarre and quite unprecedented turn of events in 2012, that status quo would have continued.

Overall, both teams have hugely underachieved when you look at the fanbases and potential involved. MASSIVE they ain't.

Agree with just about all that. I've realised over the years that I have virtually no mates who happen to be owls. This isn't a deliberate choice, just that it never seems to have happened. Only exception being I had one mate at school who was Wendy and a mate who I work with but doesn't go and hasn''t as long as I've known him. There must be some underlying reason to that, something in their personality I just don't get on with.

There is something different/strange/not likeable about them generally. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is, but it's there.

Many differences, some of them pointed out already.

The biggest difference is in culture. Blades are proud to be Blades even when we're crap. Being a Blade is not just supporting a football club, it's a way of life. Once you're a Blade you can't not be a Blade. You can't declare yourself out, you're stuck with it like it or not. It's a brotherhood.

With the other lot it's a case of "we're all piggies aren't we" when things are going well and then total silence and following the team from a distance when things are indifferent or worse. I know only too well as most of my South Yorkshire based friends support them and I wouldn't exactly call them loyal fans.

I'll be controversial here........I would rather have a pig than a Tory. Pigs are misguided and arrogant, at least it is generally only related to football. Tories are arrogant, misguided and elitist and this relates to all aspects of life, Very wide generalisation here................but I have found it to be true in my experience. :)

Many differences:

1) They have a pathetic desire to be loved and noticed across the whole football community; We have a fiercely independent, stand-alone, fuck-you streak. (Which is both good and bad).

2) They believe their own bullshit, they genuinely believe they are giants on a national scale despite only narrowly edging us in terms of silverware and struggling to draw higher crowds than us, their supposedly "inferior" neighbours.
If their chairman publicly called them all cunts tomorrow and started charging £100 per ticket, they'd blissfully ignore it and start banging on about how bright their floodlights are or how green the pitch is.
If we aren't happy, we make it pretty bloody clear (Ask McCabe, Robson or Wilson)

3) Wendy fans are the type of wankers who invite the entire street to their house to see their new conservatory.

4) A disproportionate number of them turn up to matches in full replica kit.

5) A Wendy fan is the type of person who would threaten to knock you out whilst wearing a bobble hat and official club mittens.

6) A truly great club wouldn't STILL be banging on about winning a glorified JPT Trophy 24 years ago.

7) We are Blades, this is reflected in our emblem. They are Owls, so why have a retarded parrot as your badge?

8) We follow United because it's who we are, no further explanation required. Most pigs follow SWFC on the promise of greatness, which they will never achieve.

That's it for part one anyway, stay tuned.

Like FATTYFOULKE when I think about it I too don't have a single friend who is a pig fan, thinking about it they are like Tories too even play in blue, cant stand either myself they all think they are superior for some reason, delusions of grandeur an all that. Like others if you walk into a strange boozer you can spot the pig fans in the crowd in seconds usually the over loud blokes with forced laughter and girlfriends who all seem to be called Tracy or Donna wearing cheap jewellery which on closer inspection is a owl pendant, the loudest pig fans seem to be the ones who need to have a sat nav to find the sty which tells it's own story as Parson Cross, Southey, Foxhill and Wisewood all look down on swine cottage. Next time a pigs starts going on about attendances just ask them when did they last average over 30,000 ? Clue Everton won the FA cup coming back to win after being 0-2 down ................ I make that about 48 year ago, we have averaged over 30,000 twice since, despite swine cottage having a larger capacity.

Ive always said we are different
Different mentality, they are full of shit, I enjoy being a Blade despite our failings and there is a sort of arrogance about them, I too dont have piggy friends most pigs I do know go rarely if at all they get to the game at 2.30 and leave before the end .
For me a Blade is about culture and family tradition (my grandfather was born in 1889) I enjoy the day out mixing with friends its more than just a football match its the beers before the game and afterwards
It is being a Blade

Only drawn from fans of my own experience.

One difference, I believe, is irony. We have it. They don't.
Two pigs together = an argument. Two Blades together = chuckles. Every time. You rarely catch piggies ripping the piss out of each other and never with the same joy and abandon as Blades do.
Being a Blade is in the blood. Most piggies I know chose their club. And nearly all of those did so when they were on the up.
I don't think we hide when the team is shit. They enter some kind of hibernation.

Funniest difference for me is aural. Just say these out loud.

"I'm a Blade."
"I'm an Owl."

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

Back
Top Bottom