What level

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CopenhagenBlade

Reaction score
I know that you don't need to have played at a professional level to appreciate good football just as you don't have to be a chef to appreciate good food but when I read some of the comments on here it gets me thinking as to what level posters on here have played at?

I take most notice when defenders and keepers get criticized as this is where I have most experience of playing. It really does take time for defenders to get an understanding going and for a keeper to feel confident with his defenders. This will only come with games, although training helps it is no substitute for game situations. If Harry is going our defense will look shaky for a few games until that partnership is formed. This is why I am always in favor of taking, for England, a pair that play together, Cahill & Terry over Cahill & Jags, as the understanding is not formed quickly enough.
I was on the fringes of county football in UK and at a good level in Denmark, though hard to compare.

I was nominated for twat of the season at goals soccer at Norfolk Park. There were 15000 entries.

School team second 11, getting slammed 11-0 by Wickersley was a low point...but qualifies me to discuss defensive frailties. You learn from your mistakes!

Played in every position over the years and from a signed pro through to rock bottom pub level. Played up top with my idol sir Keith Edwards and almost had my back broken by Emlyn Hughes who was the dirtiest fucker I have ever played with or against.

I was the Nick Montgomery of my 5-aside team in Edinburgh, and after several years away from the game recently made a triumphant return to a local 7-aside league. I've maintained my Montgomery-esque quality of passing, and have added the on-the-field presence of Paul Thirlwell.

I used to be ace at headers and volleys. Or "Germans", as we used to inexplicably call it round our way.

Anyone used to play Arsehole Fred?

I once wasn't picked for a five a side game and there were only four other players. I reckon that disappointment makes me totally qualified to follow the Blades.

I used to be ace at headers and volleys. Or "Germans", as we used to inexplicably call it round our way.

Anyone used to play Arsehole Fred?
I'm afraid to ask tarq.
I have played up to semi pro, in every position but keeper, coached from u10 to u18s, strangely was a far better keeper coach than outfield coach.

Edit:- and I was unbeatable at sensible soccer, makes me number 1 candidate for any job in football anywhere, enquires on a postcard to ......

I played as a keeper in the 3rd Division of the Newark Alliance League. Not a particularly high level of football but not the worst either.

In my younger days I was of the George Long mould, great shot stopper but a pretty poor communicator. As the years went on and I became more experienced I became more like Paddy Kenny in that I was very vocal (I had to be because of the very young defence in front of me) and commanded my area a lot more. However I did loose my reaction speed, bottle, and became a very synical player towards the end.

I still play the odd game here and there as I coach an u14's team now and they are big enough now to play against us slightly older uns. I have also signed for Lincoln Moorlands Railway Reserves team this coming season but as backup only and I don't expect to play any games.

Played in every position over the years and from a signed pro through to rock bottom pub level. Played up top with my idol sir Keith Edwards and almost had my back broken by Emlyn Hughes who was the dirtiest fucker I have ever played with or against.
Pro for who?

centre half for school team, and then division 6 of Rotherham Sunday league. So a top level. We once played a premier league side in the cup and lost 28-0. At least the striker i was marking only scored 10. So fully qualified on all defensive analysis.

I'm saying nowt to you lot! :)

WUSS! Come on SEB, someone must have incriminating photos, so the sooner you 'fess up, the sooner you can get your freak on....think I've been following Darren's recent contributions a bit too closely. Make note to self, act my age and ignore the plastic hooligans

I'm a crap player but did some reffing in New York a few years ago. It was an amateur league and most teams were ethnic - Brits, Turks, Croats, Russians etc. I was told it would be a doddle but it was the worst job you could imagine. Often there were no linesmen so I had to make the offside calls too. At one time I sent someone off and he just refused to leave the field. There were quite a few mass brawls too. On a couple of occasions I did two games back-to-back. I actually got paid for it but those games were the hardest cash I've ever earned.

I was a positionally solid centre half who unfortunately peaked at 13. At 19 an injury prevented me from playing in the Norwegian third tier. A bit later I joined the army and then moved away to study.

I was later player/manager for the hospital side for a few years. We went from the sixth tier to a 4th finish in the top tier, at which point my achilles tendon had had enough. Claus Lundekvam played for TV2, who were Champions. I have a little bit of scouting experience.

Despite being pretty shit, I played alongside some great players as a kid - most now playing semi pro, a couple who played pro and one who went on to win the champions league. Two crutiate injuries in two years to either knee did me at 18 - closest I got to glory after that was the Hope Valley League.

Last edited:
Edwards turned up guesting in a friendly I played in late 80's and played against Hughes a couple of times when I played for a Dronfield team, sons against dad's in one then when I played NE Derbyshire league a few years later. Hughes hit a ball harder than anyone I have ever met.

I never played a professional first team game. I was a yts for all of three weeks when I severed my calf muscle in a rather bad tackle. As I say my pro career was nowt to write home about.

Back
Top Bottom