Outgoing? Wes Foderingham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Does have interest from a few PL sides I've heard. Wanting him to be similar to what Carson does at City & Heaton at Man U.

Let's be fair, Wes isn't getting any younger, if he does have those PL offers I think he'd be daft not to take them for the money on offer you'd presume was on the table. It might mean pretty much the end of his playing career for the most part, but it sercures his financial future.

If rumours are to be believed that we will listen to offers, as well as Wes being wanted as a third choice by PL teams, be interesting to see what happens come the end of the window. Fwiw I think unless he gets a good offer where he'll play for a decent club for the next couple of years, he'll see out his contract and leave on a free in the summer
What exactly is it they're doing? Glorified goalie coach? Warm body for the bench in case of an injury? Imagine getting paid for just being there.

What exactly is it they're doing? Glorified goalie coach? Warm body for the bench in case of an injury? Imagine getting paid for just being there.

Play 1 cup match a season at most and then sit about collecting a decent wedge of cash.

To me it's very telling that Wes has asked to go out on loan.
I won't pretend to know anything about the contract situations of him and the other keepers, but if the manager states that he's going to protect the club's interests by going out and signing a goalkeeper on a long term deal, surely he should be saying, "right then, I'm gonna do my very best to keep the new guy out and show you that I'm good enough to keep the shirt".
Asking to go out on loan suggest that he's got no fight in him and he's just given up.
Not what we need in a relegation battle.
There is no doubt in my opinion that Wilder has told him that he will not play for SUFC again. My be a few others who he has had clashes with regardless of ability that get moved on.
Wilder puts it down to their mentality to fit into the group. Mmmm

There is no doubt in my opinion that Wilder has told him that he will not play for SUFC again. My be a few others who he has had clashes with regardless of ability that get moved on.
Wilder puts it down to their mentality to fit into the group. Mmmm

He said he has been straight with Wes regarding the situation. I think if it's a case of he isn't rushing to sign a new deal or is keeping his options open then the club need to move on and get a new number 1.

Wes will also only leave if we can bring someone else in. He said he won't leave us short in that position.

But he didn’t apply the same principle to Lundstrum, which is why I think there’s more to the story.

For different reasons, arguably Wilder got the Duffy and Lundstrum decisions wrong. And if Grbic turns out to be a bust he’ll be on for a hat trick.
I don’t think he got the Duffy decision wrong tbh. Nobody else gave him a premiership contract - in fact he tumbled down the leagues after leaving us.

There seems to be a lot of recency bias towards our players who won’t sign a new contract, in that they’re suddenly shit and we should get rid.

Wes is part of a huge problem we have at this level, where as a collective we’re simply nowhere near the levels required to compete. Is he therefore a shit keeper? No, he’s a Championship player in an excellent league, being constantly bombarded by wave after wave of attack from some of the best players in the world.

We’ve replaced him and conceded five, giving away 2 penalties in the process. That’s 3 penalties in two games, and the same issue of our keepers being completely exposed. No keeper in the world can solve that problem.

To me the fact that he needs to post some cryptic bollocks and (alongside many others) WONT sign a new contract points to a much wider issue backstage at the club.

Our owner can’t afford to run us, and the contracts on the table are likely to reflect that. If our championship quality players are looking at them and still thinking they’re a bit shit then we’re in a mess that doesn’t get resolved anytime soon.

Let’s not pretend however that Wes leaving is somehow the miracle we need as it’s not. The new guy will have the same problems and, although we may see some reduction in the loss amount, we’ll still lose the majority.

I for one just can’t get on board with the singling out of specific players (and managers) as a solution to what is, at its most basic level, a collective lack of strength and a chronic lack of funding to make us, at the very least, not an embarrassment.

That’s why I’d have preferred Johannson from ‘t Rovvvrum
Maybe the plan all along was get Grbic in now and Johannson in the summer after they’ve been relegated on the cheap and have the two battle it out for number 1 in the championship. Or move Grbic on if he’s no good.

There seems to be a lot of recency bias towards our players who won’t sign a new contract, in that they’re suddenly shit and we should get rid.

Wes is part of a huge problem we have at this level, where as a collective we’re simply nowhere near the levels required to compete. Is he therefore a shit keeper? No, he’s a Championship player in an excellent league, being constantly bombarded by wave after wave of attack from some of the best players in the world.

We’ve replaced him and conceded five, giving away 2 penalties in the process. That’s 3 penalties in two games, and the same issue of our keepers being completely exposed. No keeper in the world can solve that problem.

To me the fact that he needs to post some cryptic bollocks and (alongside many others) WONT sign a new contract points to a much wider issue backstage at the club.

Our owner can’t afford to run us, and the contracts on the table are likely to reflect that. If our championship quality players are looking at them and still thinking they’re a bit shit then we’re in a mess that doesn’t get resolved anytime soon.

Let’s not pretend however that Wes leaving is somehow the miracle we need as it’s not. The new guy will have the same problems and, although we may see some reduction in the loss amount, we’ll still lose the majority.

I for one just can’t get on board with the singling out of specific players (and managers) as a solution to what is, at its most basic level, a collective lack of strength and a chronic lack of funding to make us, at the very least, not an embarrassment.
👍👌👏🏻👏🏻

This window is a chance to start getting things set for summer and if it means bombing out players now, including Foderingham, then that's fine.

We don't want the same situation as last summer where we're handing out contracts to players we don't need just to make the numbers up or being held to ransom by anyone.

By all accounts, Wes has had a contract offer for sometime. For whatever reason, he has not signed or accepted it, and has the right to do so. Every manager knows they have to forward plan, irrespective of what division the team will be playing in. As it stood, come 30/6/24, we would have no contracted keepers. No way could Wilder accept that situation, so he acted, rightly so. So having not signed your contract offer Wes, as our number 1, don't moan about the outcome.

Absolutely this.

Wants to play abroad or be a Premier League backup keeper. No interest in staying with us.

be a Premier League backup keeper.
And I want to be a ninja turtle ffs. The ammount of goals hes conceded this season makes me think the queue for his signature won't be as long as the queue at asda

no-one likely to be in the Premier League next season will be remotely interested in 33 year old Wes Foderingham

Possibly not.

Though let’s be right. T’owd porcine calamity himself, Lee Grunt, had a reserve ‘keeper gig at Man Utd as recently as 2022.

GLTWes. The recipient of far too much shit from Utd fans, given how much he’s contributed to the club.

GLTTL.

He'll end up in America as no-one likely to be in the Premier League next season will be remotely interested in 33 year old Wes Foderingham.
Wouldn't be so sure of that. Scott Carson has been a squad filler at Manchester City for years

Possibly the worst first choice we've had in my lifetime. Grbic looks shite so far but he's a big upgrade on Wes.
Likeable guy, but let's be real, an absolutely shite goalkeeper
Keepers always make mistakes but the type that Wes has made at times beggar belief.

Not diving as well, dropping the ball from a corner, those are expected. Things like the goal at the near post against Luton, they happen at some point as do the coming for cross against Villa and getting nowhere near. Just examples and not a comprehensive list. Point being, I’m not suggesting absolute perfection.

What aren’t expected are the completely unenforced errors that lead to goals from nothing i.e. falling on his arse dealing with a simple pass and letting Middlesborough score, coming out of his area against Bournemouth and completely missing the ball to end the game there and then. I’d personally regard these errors as not becoming a top professional.

Sheffield United will be the high point of Wes’ career, notwithstanding he had a period at Rangers while they were getting back on their feet only to be replaced by ageing Alan McGregor. If he had a contract offer he’s received some poor advise not to have signed it. Him or his agent must have a highly inflated opinion of himself.

He did a decent job, made some good save too, but there are some clangers in there too.

Contrast to Hendo, he made one rick against Leeds with an under pressure back pass, could have done better with a dive vs Villa in the 3-3 and perhaps near post vs Newcastle after the restart as a total of his ‘could do better’ that I can recall. Amongst that are some outstanding efforts e.g. the breakaway save vs Norwich, that triple save on the line which McGoldrick finally kicked away.

It’s just a surprise he is the one effectively contributing to his departure.

Possibly the worst first choice we've had in my lifetime. Grbic looks shite so far but he's a big upgrade on Wes.
What a shite post wow. Was excellent once placing that idiot Olsen, also gained promotion with him.

Funnily enough I knew a Boothy who was a semi pro GK and thought he was top bollox 😅

He really isnt unless you became a fan of the club in the last year?

I could probably name 5 worse first-choice keepers than him without trying to think about it - Simonsen, Mark Bunn, Olsen, Mark Howard, George Long. I'd also rather have Foderingham over Blackman.

He really isnt unless you became a fan of the club in the last year?

I could probably name 5 worse first-choice keepers than him without trying to think about it - Simonsen, Mark Bunn, Olsen, Mark Howard, George Long. I'd also rather have Foderingham over Blackman.
First choice keepers in the last 20 years:

Kenny (from 02/03) to 08/09
Bunn 09/10
Simonsen 10/11 & 11/12
Long/Howard 12/13, 13/14 & 15/16
Howard 14/15
Moore 16/17 & 17/18
Henderson 18/19 & 19/20
Ramsdale 20/21
Foderingham 21/22 to 23/24

Foderingham would be fourth on that list for me, behind Henderson, peak Kenny and Ramsdale but ahead of Long, Moore, Simonsen, Howard & Bunn (in that order).

First choice keepers in the last 20 years:

Kenny (from 02/03) to 08/09
Bunn 09/10
Simonsen 10/11 & 11/12
Long/Howard 12/13, 13/14 & 15/16
Howard 14/15
Moore 16/17 & 17/18
Henderson 18/19 & 19/20
Ramsdale 20/21
Foderingham 21/22 to 23/24

Foderingham would be fourth on that list for me, behind Henderson, peak Kenny and Ramsdale but ahead of Long, Moore, Simonsen, Howard & Bunn (in that order).
Had completely forgotten about Bunn. Simonsen would have been in my top 6 if he could take penalties.

Contrast to Hendo, he made one rick against Leeds with an under pressure back pass, could have done better with a dive vs Villa in the 3-3 and perhaps near post vs Newcastle after the restart as a total of his ‘could do better’ that I can recall. Amongst that are some outstanding efforts e.g. the breakaway save vs Norwich, that triple save on the line which McGoldrick finally kicked away.
I raise you 3 points lost to Liverpool letting the ball through his legs.

Back
Top Bottom