Well done Mr. McCabe

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Higgo's Belly

Reaction score
I'm the first to slag off McCabe and the board, however I really believe they are now due some praise.
Yes, they have made numerous mistakes in the past, but it appears they may have actually have got recent decisions right, for once.
They were wrong to sack Clough, however the decision to appoint Adkins was universally welcomed by the fans. It would have been easy to stick their heads in the sand and give Adkins another season. This would have been cheaper for the board than sacking him, however the McCabe and the board were brave enough to admit they had made a mistake and got rid. Their timing in getting rid of Adkins was inspired.
They learnt from their previous mistake of allowing Clough to do the retained list, before sacking him a few days later. They were positive and got rid of Adkins as soon as the season was over, allowing us to get in ahead of Charlton and Blackburn and appoint Wilder, which also allowed CW to do the retained list.
The appointment of Wilder appears to be another good decision by the board. Appointing a manager on the up, who gets what the fans of SUFC are all about. This is a refreshing change of direction from the waffling, idiotic Mr Positivity, we had to suffer last season.
McCabe also appears to have learnt from the expensive transfer mistakes made by Clough and Adkins. The formation of the Technical Board, now appears to be a very good idea. Allowing Clough a free reign to sign who ever he wanted and the Hammond contract fiasco have been expensive mistakes, however the Technical Board, with owner representaion on it should hopefully prevent further mistakes of this nature..
The penny now seems to have dropped with McCabe, who at last seems to understand whats required to get us promoted. A quality manager on the up, who signs the best young, hungry players from our rivals in the lower leagues. Well done Mr McCabe, you have done well (recently). . .

Similar comments were made around early June last year. Change the names and it could almost be a repeat.

I'll happily give any manager/player time to become a success, but there's nothing YET, what Wilder's done that's made me think we're in for yet another season of trying.

My load is still locked.

I'm really optimistic about CW coming in and impressed with a few things, like making Billy captain immediately, and cracking on with the clear out.

This thing about the technical board though, and the Hammond contract is a fucking joke. We've been told a few times this season that the board felt Clough made too many uncontrolled decisions and that was a factor in his sacking, wouldn't happen again, and lessons learned etc, and then now here we are with this.

Then Phipps gave that embarrassing interview a few months back on RS about their failure to establish a technical board, like it's the most difficult thing in the world to achieve, and now McCabe says summat about owner representation and we're raving as if it's some fucking epiphany moment. This is just about a small number of people in a football club in key roles working together and talking to each to get stuff done. The fact that they still make such a big deal about it makes me suspect there are still some issues behind the scenes.

I agree some credit needs to be given for the decisiveness that they showed this time rather than fucking about all May and June searching for a manager.

That said I'm still not comfortable about this technical board with Mcabes mates on it who know the square root of fuck all, and the way a new 'chief exec' seems to be appointed every other year.

When we went up just over 10 years ago you sensed the board, club and fans were all pulling together which hasn't been felt since.

If we go up now it will be despite the board, not because of them.

I'm thankful for Kev's on going investment in the club, but whether its another example of a fool and his money we'll soon see. The plan to bring in Wilder seems to be a reactionary one - judging by subsequent comments in the media, and KM'S comments at the award's dinner. If they were going to do it I'm glad it was done straight after the season finished. As for transfers, if Clarke (in particular) and Hanson are a sign of things to come, I'm already sceptical. Tbh I would have had reservations with Adkins spending the budget too, and would have dreaded Clough doing so.We were always going to have much more leeway in the budget this season (due to offloading players all season and post season), and the key to our future success is: how much of the savings will be invested? How successfully will the funds be invested?

The firing of Adkins is defensible.

The hiring of Wilder is defensible, despite his lack of league one experience.

Before we go overboard and praise McCabe, however, let's see what sort of players we bring in, and whether Adams and Sharp are still Blades players on 1 September.

Similar comments were made around early June last year. Change the names and it could almost be a repeat.

I'll happily give any manager/player time to become a success, but there's nothing YET, what Wilder's done that's made me think we're in for yet another season of trying.

My load is still locked.

You'll feel a lot better about things once your load has been shot.

I'm the first to slag off McCabe and the board, however I really believe they are now due some praise.
Yes, they have made numerous mistakes in the past, but it appears they may have actually have got recent decisions right, for once.
They were wrong to sack Clough, however the decision to appoint Adkins was universally welcomed by the fans. It would have been easy to stick their heads in the sand and give Adkins another season. This would have been cheaper for the board than sacking him, however the McCabe and the board were brave enough to admit they had made a mistake and got rid. Their timing in getting rid of Adkins was inspired.
They learnt from their previous mistake of allowing Clough to do the retained list, before sacking him a few days later. They were positive and got rid of Adkins as soon as the season was over, allowing us to get in ahead of Charlton and Blackburn and appoint Wilder, which also allowed CW to do the retained list.
The appointment of Wilder appears to be another good decision by the board. Appointing a manager on the up, who gets what the fans of SUFC are all about. This is a refreshing change of direction from the waffling, idiotic Mr Positivity, we had to suffer last season.
McCabe also appears to have learnt from the expensive transfer mistakes made by Clough and Adkins. The formation of the Technical Board, now appears to be a very good idea. Allowing Clough a free reign to sign who ever he wanted and the Hammond contract fiasco have been expensive mistakes, however the Technical Board, with owner representaion on it should hopefully prevent further mistakes of this nature..
The penny now seems to have dropped with McCabe, who at last seems to understand whats required to get us promoted. A quality manager on the up, who signs the best young, hungry players from our rivals in the lower leagues. Well done Mr McCabe, you have done well (recently). . .
Monkeys Typewriters etc.
How many times has he repeated the same year at school and failed the same exam?

Before we go overboard and praise McCabe, however, let's see what sort of players we bring in, and whether Adams and Sharp are still Blades players on 1 September.

People are that blinded with their obsession with Adkins, they're happy to go completely overboard at the slightest thing and bizarrely, still offering support to Brian's son, despite us having to offload a large amount of his awful signings.

Last edited:
The time line looks to me as though Brannigan's last deal was to bring in Hammond. they brought in a finance guy last week who will also sit on the technical board, not for his football acumen but to make sure deals like Hammond never happen again.

Chris is no mug and won't have players forced on him that he doesn't want. He will get help from Shieber who will have had a good look at the U21 league last year whilst also having a good knowledge of league 2 from managing there and league 1 from watching us.

Finally we are moving forward with a strategy which makes sense, god knows how many years after we started it last time (selling Beattie and bringing in Jamie Ward from a lower division)

We kind of know what type of players will be coming in though don't we?

Cheaper ones. ;)

The time line looks to me as though Brannigan's last deal was to bring in Hammond. they brought in a finance guy last week who will also sit on the technical board, not for his football acumen but to make sure deals like Hammond never happen again.

Chris is no mug and won't have players forced on him that he doesn't want. He will get help from Shieber who will have had a good look at the U21 league last year whilst also having a good knowledge of league 2 from managing there and league 1 from watching us.

Finally we are moving forward with a strategy which makes sense, god knows how many years after we started it last time (selling Beattie and bringing in Jamie Ward from a lower division)

I suggested as much the other day and wonder if that's what cost him his job rather than deals when Clough was here.

I suggested as much the other day and wonder if that's what cost him his job rather than deals when Clough was here.

It could be it was the final straw. The transfers under clough were shite too. It seems to me that both managers told
Him to get the deals done, no matter what. Enough blame to share, but the board DID let the football men sort it out and look what happened. Time to move on

Credit where it's due. Fantastic decisions to rid us of the clownish Adkins & to act so swiftly & decisively getting the no.1 choice in.

No fannying about with interview panels,etc - just bish, bash, bosh & "welcome, Chris Wilder".

Everything I've heard about previous restructuring a sounded sensible.

In the end, it's not about the structure. It's about the. Competence / agenda of those making the decisions.

As always, time and action will be the best judge.

UTB

People are that blinded with their obsession with Adkins, they're happy to go completely overboard at the slightest thing and bizarrely, still offering support to Brian's son, despite us having to offload a large amount of his awful signings.

I find it extremely strange that any supporter is extremely pro-Clough and anti- Adkins or vice versa. Fact is both failed. There were arguments to say that both might have succeeded given more time (it’s not like either was taking us to a Weir-esque disaster). Both had their best players sold. Clough had a lot more room for manoeuvre and did a bit better as a result. Overall, there was no huge contrast in the level of performance v resources available. It’s a bit like the divide in opinion over Coutts and Baxter. Just don’t get how people can be so pro-one and against the other.

I find it extremely strange that any supporter is extremely pro-Clough and anti- Adkins or vice versa. Fact is both failed. There were arguments to say that both might have succeeded given more time (it’s not like either was taking us to a Weir-esque disaster). Both had their best players sold. Clough had a lot more room for manoeuvre and did a bit better as a result. Overall, there was no huge contrast in the level of performance v resources available. It’s a bit like the divide in opinion over Coutts and Baxter. Just don’t get how people can be so pro-one and against the other.

The difference between Baxter and Coutts is 5 to 10 goals and a decent number of assists a season. It's easy to differentiate between them ( or was)

Baxter did useful things (although I don't weep for him and am not sorry to see him go). Coutts doesnt.

The difference between Baxter and Coutts is 5 to 10 goals and a decent number of assists a season. It's easy to differentiate between them ( or was)

Baxter did useful things (although I don't weep for him and am not sorry to see him go). Coutts doesnt.

On the flip side Coutts doesn't give the ball away as much and links well with Brayford. I just mean overall, they have similar strengths and weaknesses.

On the flip side Coutts doesn't give the ball away as much and links well with Brayford. I just mean overall, they have similar strengths and weaknesses.

No they don't. Baxter was vastly more useful to the team.

Coutts is no use to a promotion chasing team.

No they don't. Baxter was vastly more useful to the team.

Coutts is no use to a promotion chasing team.

We'll have to agree to differ on that. I think both are technically talented footballers but both let themselves down badly with their lack of application and athleticism. There are difference such as those we've touched on but I (and many others) have similar frustrations about both.

I shall save my congratulations for Mr McCabe until we see whether the Board actually back Tufty with the funds he will need to build a squad capable of realistically challenging for the top two in this division ........

They will need to pay off some contracts if transfers don't emerge for wasters like Coutts, Woolford, Hammond and Wilder will need transfer funds / wages budget to bring in around 10 players as replacements for the culling.

If they "walk the walk" as well as they "talk the talk", then next season may be an exciting one ........ but if we have the same old hollow promises as usual, then it will prove to be a real challenge to the supporters to remain calm ......

UTB & FTP

I wrote a post a few days before it happened saying that we either should give Adkins another season or if we were going to get rid then we needed to act quickly and know we could replace him quickly, so well done to the board for that.
I'm optimistic about Wilder and he's certainly shown his intent with the retained/listed announcement so I'm encouraged by that. I don't pretend, like some do on here, to be a skilled talent scout of the lower leagues but it will be very interesting to see what players we sign. Like most, I'm hoping for some youth and hunger but above all, some pace in the team. I don't mind a couple of older players but they need to be chosen carefully so we don't end up with two Dean Hammonds!

Back
Top Bottom