Well done Dominic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DCL on the scoresheet last night. Not been starting in the league but seems to take his chances when he gets them in the cup games.
I'd rather have him starting our cup games than that clown we had on last night. Hope he can start getting some league starts, he's doing all he can in the cup to make it a reality.

I kind of agree Danny but he's more likely to get the league games in addition to the cup games at Northampton which is surely better for his development. As you say, hopefully those league games will come soon and he can start to prove himself ready to come back to us for the second half of the season to add to our options (perhaps we can then move Higdon on in January)

Is he cup tied now for the paint pot trophy? If he comes back and we're still in it, irrelevant if we're out by the time he comes back in January

Yes good on the lad. However, him not starting is a concern for his future. In the modern era, if a player at 18 (especially a forward player) isn't at least starting in division 'X', it's quite unlikely the lad is capable of being a good player at division 'X+1'.

It's the way of football nowadays, and already worried that if DCL isn't a regular and playing well by the end of his loan spell, it doesn't bode well for the kid. It's just the reality of modern day football.

It's the same principle with deGirolamo. a forward player of nearly 20 years old. You get to a point where the writings on the wall for a forward player, and for DDG it has arrived, and this is the season for DCL. Hopefully he can kick on, but if not, I doubt he'll be of championship quality next season if ever.

Yes good on the lad. However, him not starting is a concern for his future. In the modern era, if a player at 18 (especially a forward player) isn't at least starting in division 'X', it's quite unlikely the lad is capable of being a good player at division 'X+1'.

It's the way of football nowadays, and already worried that if DCL isn't a regular and playing well by the end of his loan spell, it doesn't bode well for the kid. It's just the reality of modern day football.

It's the same principle with deGirolamo. a forward player of nearly 20 years old. You get to a point where the writings on the wall for a forward player, and for DDG it has arrived, and this is the season for DCL. Hopefully he can kick on, but if not, I doubt he'll be of championship quality next season if ever.

What's the evidence on this? Do players transition from u21s to the first team, or are they too old?

I think one issue is physicality, and this was mentioned when DCL played at Orient last year.

U21s play other u21s with the odd grown up thrown in. When they get thrown into the first team I think it can be a big step up.

The obvious place to develop is on loan. The physicality is there but if you've got the technique you can hold down a place and develop.

But does it ever work out like that?

He looks very slender however most are at his age, and they tend to beef up pretty quickly. He'll get advised on this I'm sure if it's deemed to be of benefit to him. Look at Che, he's definitely been doing some lifting over the summer. Can possibly be detrimental at times though.

Why can't our upcoming strikers be built like Lukaku was at 16...

I blame Clough feeding our youth players a lentil soup diet.

He's only 18 and I'm sure his build will bulk out abit as he gets older.

I was a size 28 waist at 18 ffs!

Have you seen dcl play ? He has a real future ahead of him if he progress,es this is not his season to make it but he has to show real improvement . He has tremendous ability but he needs time to develop ,this season is just a stepping stone in his development to say he has to make the first
Team this season is rubbish he does, not need that kind of pressure (he could make the first team but that would be a bonus
He has had a growth spurt and is now 6ft 2inchs which is great but he has to fill out his huge frame.we could have a real star coming through but
We may have to be patient.

Continuing the theme on young dcl. Roy give has done some homework on 3 of our u 21s reading the comments of fans of Northampton and Halifax .the need for young players to get game time in leagues which are very physical is so important to there. Development.All three are blessed with great technic but are short of physical presence ,that will come with maturity and experience. I look forward to seeing how they have progressed after there time out on loan but we always have to be prepared for failure as most young players dont make the grade.

http://www.northampton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=414347

<< Dominic Calvert-Lewin got himself on the scoresheet for Northampton at the weekend in the four-two win over Morecambe with that goal, and his overall performance, drawing praise from Chris Wilder with what he's told the Northampton Chronicle.

Marc Richards, due to a training ground injury in the lead up to the game, wasn't risked by Wilder with him keeping him on the bench with both Calvert-Lewin and Sam Hoskins filling in nicely.

In only his second lead start Sheffield United loanee Calvert-Lewin, brought in when Ivan Toney was sold to Newcastle, has been branded 'outstanding' by Wilder after his performance against Morecambe at the weekend, not that the Cobblers boss had any hesitation in allowing the teenager to lead the line with this justified by the performance and his cheeky back heeled goal!

'Marc had a little bit of a side strain, and had a bit of a struggle through last week, but I didn't have any problems in putting Dominic in.

'He has looked sharp in training, and he was outstanding on Saturday. It was a fantastic finish for his goal, and he fully deserved that for his performance.

'Dominic and Sam Hoskins at the top of the pitch were outstanding for us.'

Assuming Richards is fully fit the captain will be keen to return to the starting XI against Leyton Orient this weekend?

Meaning Wilder could have a 'selection headache' to content with! Which he added is something he could live with and would welcome more often as this is what you want when you bring players in.

'That is why we brought Dom to the club, because we have to have competition, and we have to have good players to go in.

'These are difficult decisions we have to make.

'We will have to have a look at it, but if I do change the team it will be because I feel it is right, and if I don`t it will be because players deserve to go again.

'I would love to have loads more decisions like that.' >>

Can possibly be detrimental at times though.

Brought to mind Peter Marinello when he went to Arsenal from Hibs.

"When I went for my medical, I remember the doctor saying: f***king hell, we haven’t just paid 100,000 for you, have we?" he recalls. "There’s nothing of you." Arsenal put him on a special diet to build him up, the excuse he probably didn’t need to drain London bars of Guinness."

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...marinello-keeps-mellow-1-673162#ixzz3mSvHyfmg

Very good to read. Well done to the lad. Let's hope he gets plenty more opportunities to show what he can do. Is that 3 he's scored in all competitions now from about 5 or 6 or so starts?

Dom does it again to earn a 1-1 draw against Orient. Having said that, you would think taking the lead in the third minute of injury time would secure the win

"Dominic Calvert-Lewin headed in Joel Byrom's corner in the third minute of stoppage time before O's midfielder Dean Cox's final-minute free-kick"

Dom does it again to earn a 1-1 draw against Orient. Having said that, you would think taking the lead in the third minute of injury time would secure the win

"Dominic Calvert-Lewin headed in Joel Byrom's corner in the third minute of stoppage time before O's midfielder Dean Cox's final-minute free-kick"

The equaliser from a man who we should have signed when Orient went down.

It is notoriously difficult to pick out who is going to make it from the youth team.

The 2 players I have picked out in the past to become top players was Diego De Girolamo and Kyle Walker. In fact with Kyle Walker the first time I saw him I said he would go on and play for England and he did. I also thought Monty would go on and become a top top player.

Conversely I didn't think Phil Jagielka would ever be more than a bits and pieces player.

Players peak at different time and develop at different rates so DCL needs to given time to develop, and it doesn't matter a much if he is first team ready in 2 months or 2 years, just as long as he is ready.

Talking about bulking up, at 20 I was 13 stone and a 32" waist and a lanky, skinny streak of piss, at 37 I'm almost 16 stones, physically fit and a 36" waist.

Decent player, especially at this level. Even though he's not the same player he was a couple of seasons ago I would have certainly preferred him to Woolford

I'd have gone for Mark Marshall on a free if I knew Murphy was going. Caused us all kinds of problems at Vale last season and at Bradford this season.

From one of their fans (sorry Roy!):
"The equaliser WA hardly deserved but a great delivery from Adams and a fantastic finish from Calvert-Lewis, Sheffield United have a got a fantastic prospect on their hands, I already rate him higher than Toney."

That's Ivan Toney who moved on to Newcastle in the summer and came on against Chelsea in their 2-2 draw.

This kid does seem a real prospect. That's 5 goals for him now this season (4 league, 1 cup) and he wasn't in the team for the first few games.

He has height, spring, movement, technique. All he's lacking is strength and maybe a bit of aggression. Hopefully that will come as he grows up and fills out more.

I would say the prospect of him and Adams leading our attach for years to come is an exciting one but I think we all know Adams will probably be gone before Dom comes of age to grace our first team. If we could hang onto them though, they could be absolutely formidable in 2-3 years time as a pairing.

Back
Top Bottom