Gone Elsewhere Viktor Johansson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There are numerous decent keepers out there in the football league, and plenty that are attainable and better than anything that we currently have. It really is mind blowing just how bad we must be at scouting and how little common sense we apply as a club when you consider the average fan in the kop could have identified numerous better keepers than those we now have, within about 15 minutes.

Fuck sake, I'd rather have the latest Wednesday keeper who looks about 12 years old in our net over Garbage. And had the best part of £2m still sitting in our bank account.

Cooper at Plymouth, Johansson at Millers, Carl Rushworth at Brighton, Lee Nichols at Huddersfield, Gabriel Slonina who is a young Chelsea player with potential, Jakub Stolarczyk also at Leicester, one of the goalkeepers at Coventry who are both decent, fuck sake, it isn't difficult to identify someone a lot better than we have but seemingly this is like trying to square the circle for United and our past recruitment team.

Here you go Blades, the above list took me about 5 mins. Fuck knows what Mitchell and the Blades scouts (did we ever have any?) were doing all day other than playing with their own tally whackers

Last edited:

There are numerous decent keepers out there in the football league, and plenty that are attainable and better than anything that we currently have. It really is mind blowing just how bad we must be at scouting and how little common sense we apply as a club when you consider the average fan in the kop could have identified numerous better keepers than those we now have, within about 15 minutes.

Fuck sake, I'd rather have the latest Wednesday keeper who looks about 12 years old in our net over Garbage. And had the best part of £2m still sitting in our bank account.

Cooper at Plymouth, Johansson at Millers, Carl Rush worth at Brighton, Lee Nichols at Huddersfield, Gabriel Slonina who is a young Chelsea player with potential...one of the goalkeepers at Coventry who are both decent, fuck sake, it isn't difficult to identify someone a lot better than we have but seemingly this is like trying to square the circle for United and our past recruitment team.
You speak to any Coventry fan and they hate their goalkeepers 😂

Nichols is also hated at Huddersfield.

But your point kinda still stands. It’s easy to do and when it’s your job just sign the nice easy and safe goalkeeper that you know can perform to a good level in the same league.

its a no brainer to go for johannsen at that price but we know a few clubs are interested in him and even our porky neighbours are saying hes going to the sty we cant let that happen

I don’t understand where the discussion is really. I understand there different view points on who we should bring in, a young GK from Brighton or AV etc.

But there is a goalkeeper down the road who we all know is very good for £900k. This is the easiest decision we can ever make

We know he is a competent Championship keeper. Nothing more than that. I'm fine with bringing him in at the price, but anyone thinking he's a huge upgrade over Wes is going to be disappointed, as if he was, a PL team would have jumped all over his reported release clause in the last window. Which nobody did. SUFC included.

We know he is a competent Championship keeper. Nothing more than that. I'm fine with bringing him in at the price, but anyone thinking he's a huge upgrade over Wes is going to be disappointed, as if he was, a PL team would have jumped all over his reported release clause in the last window. Which nobody did. SUFC included.

He is a huge upgrade over Wes. I have formed that opinion myself by watching both live on numerous occasions (as I have a friend who is a Millers season ticket holder and I sometimes go with him to their matches). I'm not saying he's the second coming of Yashin, but be in no doubt he absolutely IS a big upgrade on any keeper we currently have. Thats my opinion and you ain't going to change it!

He is a huge upgrade over Wes. I have formed that opinion myself by watching both live on numerous occasions (as I have a friend who is a Millers season ticket holder and I sometimes go with him to their matches). I'm not saying he's the second coming of Yashin, but be in no doubt he absolutely IS a big upgrade on any keeper we currently have. Thats my opinion and you ain't going to change it!

So do you not think Wes is a competent Championship keeper, or do you think Johansson is much better than a competent Championship keeper, despite the whole world apparently having had the opportunity to buy him on the cheap previously and declining the option to do so?

So do you not think Wes is a competent Championship keeper, or do you think Johansson is much better than a competent Championship keeper, despite the whole world apparently having had the opportunity to buy him on the cheap previously and declining the option to do so?

I think Wes is a competent Championship keeper. I think Johansson is an excellent Championship keeper. The whole world can think what they like. I know what I think.

Is VJ the best keeper in the world...? No of course not and I don't think anyone would be daft enough to claim otherwise. But he is infinitely better than any keeper we currently have. It ain't that high a bar to be fair, but he is an excellent keeper. I've seen enough of him to form that opinion on him. He also probably very attainable hence this thread. Money no object? Go for the City keeper. But it is.

I think Wes is a competent Championship keeper. I think Johansson is an excellent Championship keeper. The whole world can think what they like. I know what I think.

Is VJ the best keeper in the world...? No of course not and I don't think anyone would be daft enough to claim otherwise. But he is infinitely better than any keeper we currently have. It ain't that high a bar to be fair, but he is an excellent keeper. I've seen enough of him to form that opinion on him. He also probably very attainable hence this thread. Money no object? Go for the City keeper. But it is.

Alright, that's fair. I just struggle to see how if he was as good as you say he is why a bigger club than Rotherham haven't taken a punt on him already. As stated, I'm fine with it for the price. I just think we get into the exact same situation we were in in January should we get promoted at any point soon

Alright, that's fair. I just struggle to see how if he was as good as you say he is why a bigger club than Rotherham haven't taken a punt on him already. As stated, I'm fine with it for the price. I just think we get into the exact same situation we were in in January should we get promoted at any point soon

He would be a very sound investment for us as a Championship club. I see no reason why (form and injury free run permitting) he wouldnt be able to step up as a PL keeper either idc but let's cross that bridge if we ever get there. Its a problem position for us and has been for a while. He would be a very sensible purchase and I believe would thrive at the Lane and be a crowd favourite. He definitely is one at the NYS.

Offload Brewster, reputedly on £36k per week, that'll free up 3 x £12k a week wages for new signings instantly. Johansson + 2 other players.
To offload Brewster we’d need to pay some of his remaining contract (possibly all of it) because no one in their right mind is going to offer him anywhere near that kind of money again.

It’s not as simple as just getting rid and having the money spare to use.

He would be a very sound investment for us as a Championship club. I see no reason why (form and injury free run permitting) he wouldnt be able to step up as a PL keeper either idc but let's cross that bridge if we ever get there. Its a problem position for us and has been for a while. He would be a very sensible purchase and I believe would thrive at the Lane and be a crowd favourite. He definitely is one at the NYS.
100% agree with all of this ive watched a few rotherham games this season and johannsen has made some outstanding saves i also agree wes is good enough at championship level and the pair of em are way better than the clown of a keeper we brought in that one definetly smells of a united world signing

Who is going to take Brewster on £36k a week from us when he’s never ever fit?

Absolutely no one.
We should pin copies of his contract all over the walls of Bettis & Wilder office as a reminder not to be so utterly shit at balancing a squad + recruiting for it
£23m fee & £10m wages over 5 years for contributing FUCK ALL except as a bleedin party DJ.
£33m of absolutely nothing and people on here say they can't understand why we're skint.
The absent & indifferent owner allows his club to be run by bang amateurs.
What a feckin joke we are.
A lad with a previous seriuous injury who'd scored as couple of times in a few months in the Championship, when what we really needed was a replacement for JoC , whose body we'd managed to fuck-up in some deluded quest for Europe.
And a mobile midfielder to replace Lunnycunt.
The litany of cretinous policies & decisions is so painful to recall , but Bettis & Wilder should be forced to recall it daily , just in case they get the idea they weren't responsible for us missing out on the best chance in my years of support since 1968 of a good long run in the top division.
And now they've got another chance to prove their worth.
God help us.
But I hope he does and they succeed of course.
That said , if Blaster or Hamer wriggle away ...

We should pin copies of his contract all over the walls of Bettis & Wilder office as a reminder not to be so utterly shit at balancing a squad + recruiting for it
£23m fee & £10m wages over 5 years for contributing FUCK ALL except as a bleedin party DJ.
£33m of absolutely nothing and people on here say they can't understand why we're skint.
A lad with a previous seriuous injury who'd scored as couple of times in a few months in the Championship, when what we really needed was a replacement for JoC , whose body we'd managed to fuck-up in some deluded quest for Europe.
The litany of cretinous policies & decisions is so painful to recall , but Bettis & Wilder should be forced to recall it daily , just in case they get the idea they weren't responsible for us missing out on the best chance in my years of support since 1968 of a good long run in the top division.
God help us.
Wow. That’s the most negative post of seen here. League one to 9th in PL ruined your “best chance in years”, not sure what from 😂

You say Europe was some deluded dream but say the ruined something for you.

Think you’ve just got triggered by something and just started posting anything negative that’s in your mind.

I hope today is a much better day for you.

I don’t understand where the discussion is really. I understand there different view points on who we should bring in, a young GK from Brighton or AV etc.

But there is a goalkeeper down the road who we all know is very good for £900k. This is the easiest decision we can ever make. He is 25 years old with experience and available 5 miles away. We are a much bigger team with more resources everything.

If he goes to Stoke or whatever then realistically we are done for. There’s no smoke without fire and he’s been listed as one for us for months by journalists from Sheffield and Rotherham.

It’s just an easy simple transaction for us.
You would think so wouldnt you but nothing is simple with us we will squeeze every last penny out of any deals we do which is not a bad thing but frustrating for us fans

If we were looking for a keeper, and God knows we should be, we could do worse than see how much Lincoln want for Lukas Jensen. He's 25 and had the best stats of all keepers in League 1 this season with most goals prevented.

Also made 2 saves from the spot in that forgettable League Cup defeat which seems like years ago but was only last August

It looks like he's out of contract next summer, and unlike keepers in the Championship like Johansson and Cooper I doubt he's on much of a salary at Lincoln.

Compare his stats with the Wednesday goalie who spent the 1st half of the season at Oxford
0.jpg

God help us.
Tbf he does play some decent tunes

If we were looking for a keeper, and God knows we should be, we could do worse than see how much Lincoln want for Lukas Jensen. He's 25 and had the best stats of all keepers in League 1 this season with most goals prevented.

Also made 2 saves from the spot in that forgettable League Cup defeat which seems like years ago but was only last August

It looks like he's out of contract next summer, and unlike keepers in the Championship like Johansson and Cooper I doubt he's on much of a salary at Lincoln.

Compare his stats with the Wednesday goalie who spent the 1st half of the season at Oxford
View attachment 183169
Sinisalo won a lot of awards I saw, when I put together the PoTY and Captains thread. Wonder if we might loan him instead. Villa perhaps owe us a favour after we helped them out on Archer. Unless they are selling him, then Championship would be a good loan.

Jensen was PoTY too. That's outrageous, 9.6. How the hell did he manage that? has he got wings?

Most keepers are just getting into their stride at his age as well.

As Wes said himself last year, he's at his peak, aged 33/34

Wow. That’s the most negative post of seen here. League one to 9th in PL ruined your “best chance in years”, not sure what from 😂

You say Europe was some deluded dream but say the ruined something for you.

Think you’ve just got triggered by something and just started posting anything negative that’s in your mind.

I hope today is a much better day for you.
Just a Monty Python rant with a basis in fact 🤣
I will concede that the European dream was not deluded , but overplaying an injured JoC was short-sighted.
We took so many wrong turns since Spring 2020.
The proof is that we've been relegated twice and now find ourselves not only skint but also with a very depleted squad which will be expensive to bring back into contention in the Championship

Back
Top Bottom