View From Swindon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

(Would of) Fucks me off almost as much as people in sandwich shops saying "can I get"? No you fucking can't get. You may HAVE, (That's fucking proper English with the possessive) but if it were my sandwich shop you wouldn't get anything unless you apologised for being an uneducated chav and said CAN I HAVE.

As an occasional sandwich shop assistant I hate customers who say " I will have...followed by a 20 second pause ... and often, though not always no... please" . Some people build in attention seeking and drama into a simple order of a sandwich. Some even take up to a minute of your time getting to the " I will have" stage:eek:

As an occasional sandwich shop assistant I hate customers who say " I will have...followed by a 20 second pause ... and often, though not always no... please" . Some people build in attention seeking and drama into a simple order of a sandwich. Some even take up to a minute of your time getting to the " I will have" stage:eek:
Yes, but it's so exciting looking at all those fillings and changing your mind ten times in your head before continuing #guiltyasçhargedbutIsayplease

No they won't. A preposition cannot become a verb. What does "you of" mean? What is the past tense?
Yours is a philosophy of despair. The proposition that correct use of language does not matter is an insidious one and a death knell to creative writing. Shall we all text each other m8?
language is organic. you can't control it so you may as well give it up now mate.

(Would of) Fucks me off almost as much as people in sandwich shops saying "can I get"? No you fucking can't get. You may HAVE, (That's fucking proper English with the possessive) but if it were my sandwich shop you wouldn't get anything unless you apologised for being an uneducated chav and said CAN I HAVE.
can i get is US slang .. would of is West Yorkshire.. get or thissen'

can i get is US slang

Americanisms are taking over, with cultural dominance and technical change perhaps reflecting the economic realities in respect of the US and UK. Language has to change or die - did you know there is no welsh word for a vacuum cleaner, they call it a "hoover". Unfortunately I don't see the increasing Americanisation changing any time soon. Cannot say I'm loving it, so can I get an old fashioned English conversation to go please, with a side order of "I love your accent".? :p

Americanisms are taking over, with cultural dominance and technical change perhaps reflecting the economic realities in respect of the US and UK. Language has to change or die - did you know there is no welsh word for a vacuum cleaner, they call it a "hoover". Unfortunately I don't see the increasing Americanisation changing any time soon. Cannot say I'm loving it, so can I get an old fashioned English conversation to go please, with a side order of "I love your accent".? :p
the irony being of course that some of the 'americanisms' are original English from 150 years ago coming 'back'.. 'fall' being the classic example :D

All this moaning about language eh?

I don’t know why there moaning about it, their not gonna be able to change it. Theyre’s nothing they can do to effect it. Whatever their gonna do, it won’t have any affect. They shouldn’t of bothered in the first place. If you don’t like it, it’s you’re problem, There’s nothing your gonna do about it……..
^
Those are my pet peeves when it comes to language demonstrated above (they’re/their/there, your/you’re, of/have and the change from 3rd person to 2nd person).

Right, onto Swindon, some complimentary comments on there that are pleasing to read. Reading their comments about there team seems a lot like us last season. Now Byrne has gone, they might struggle to mount a serious challenge. They seem a decent bunch though, biscuit jargon aside.

It’s really pleasing that we’ve gathered some momentum and seem to have become a much sterner proposition for opponents to deal with. We seem to have a good balance between attacking flair and organisation and physical strength. Long may it continue.

All this moaning about language eh?

I don’t know why there moaning about it, their not gonna be able to change it. Theyre’s nothing they can do to effect it. Whatever their gonna do, it won’t have any affect. They shouldn’t of bothered in the first place. If you don’t like it, it’s you’re problem, There’s nothing your gonna do about it……..
^
Those are my pet peeves when it comes to language demonstrated above (they’re/their/there, your/you’re, of/have and the change from 3rd person to 2nd person).

Right, onto Swindon, some complimentary comments on there that are pleasing to read. Reading their comments about there team seems a lot like us last season. Now Byrne has gone, they might struggle to mount a serious challenge. They seem a decent bunch though, biscuit jargon aside.

It’s really pleasing that we’ve gathered some momentum and seem to have become a much sterner proposition for opponents to deal with. We seem to have a good balance between attacking flair and organisation and physical strength. Long may it continue.

You slipped in an erroneous "there" there, presumably to keep us on our toes.

Back
Top Bottom