United scoring or conceding 6+

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I recall a horrible sequence of results in the late seventies (1977 or 78).... which, although they didn't involve us conceding 6 goals, involved us shipping 5 in 3 consecutive games. As I remember it was Arsenal at home in the FA Cup 0-5 (Malcolm MacDonald scored a hatrick and tore our defence a new one... Chico Hamilton missed a pen for us).... next game was Bolton (away) I think.... another 5-0 tonking and then I think it was Sunderland (away) where we lost 5-1 (?)....... the joke doing the rounds at the time was "Sheff Utd's phone number has changed to 505051. Oh how we laughed..........................

It was hard being a Blade at Myers Grove school at the best of times.... but that week/fortnight was especially painful!

Actually, I think we were at home when we lost 5-0 to Bolton............. all these years on and I now realise it was worse than I originally remembered! Christ.

A mate of mine saw Man City beat Huddersfield 10-1 in 1987-8. Double figures and 3 hattricks in the same game. A true collector's item. Not been done since in a league game.

Malcolm MacDonald was Huddersfield's manager then

I recall a horrible sequence of results in the late seventies (1977 or 78).... which, although they didn't involve us conceding 6 goals, involved us shipping 5 in 3 consecutive games. As I remember it was Arsenal at home in the FA Cup 0-5 (Malcolm MacDonald scored a hatrick and tore our defence a new one... Chico Hamilton missed a pen for us).... next game was Bolton (away) I think.... another 5-0 tonking and then I think it was Sunderland (away) where we lost 5-1 (?)....... the joke doing the rounds at the time was "Sheff Utd's phone number has changed to 505051. Oh how we laughed..........................

It was hard being a Blade at Myers Grove school at the best of times.... but that week/fortnight was especially painful!

On a more cheerful note, we scored 14 goals in 3 games in Sept 88 when we beat Chester 6-1, Northampton 4-0 (both at the Lane), then won 4-1 at Brentford.

Can't recall us scoring more than that in a 3 game run.

That Spurs defending for the 6-0 is hilariously dreadful. I can't think which is worse, Carr's, the own goal or Deane's. The terrible offside trap for Bryson's first isn't even in the worst three mistakes!

On balance I think Carr's goal is the worst from a Tottenham point of view because the two defenders closing Carr down make exactly the same mistake.

lost 6-1 at Forest shortly after Clough took over
to make matters worse was jumped on on the terrace by forest fans

do remember us beating doncaster 9-0 once in the s and h cup

a strange fact purely for stattos , we have scored 4 in a game more than any other league club, by 21 games

Good old Woody.......... a ray of sunshine!!!

GOAL - v Bolton (h) 14.1.78. When a free kick was partially cleared to Woodward outside the penalty area he hit the ball gloriously into the top corner with McDonagh at full leap, just getting his fingers to it but powerless to prevent the goal.

December 13th 1969. That afternoon I was at a children's Xmas party organised by my dad's works. When my dad picked me up at the end of the party he told me that we had beaten Birmingham 6-0, I was impressed. Three weeks later I was even more impressed after watching in YTV that we had beaten Everton 2-1 in the FA Cup so after that I became a committed Blade

And it was all downhill from there........

Back
Top Bottom