U23s V Charlton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

i think Wallace needs a season out then to try and start again, what he's doing at the moment just isn't working so something else has to be tried (for his peace of mind).

Wallace looked very good for 50 mins today then got more off the pace from then on.
I like him as a player but he just can not get fit.....

Tough tough game today against a
vastly more experienced side.

With the young age of our U23s it will be a very up and down season. Some very good results and some poor ones.
This is obviously how the club want to try and bring some of these lads on quicker. It also saves the club a fortune on 2nd and third year pros who will never break in the first.

Go on Pinchy. Have a go and have a run out to a 23s game you deserve it....

Wallace looked very good for 50 mins today then got more off the pace from then on.

With the young age of our U23s it will be a very up and down season. Some very good results and some poor ones.
This is obviously how the club want to try and bring some of these lads on quicker. It also saves the club a fortune on 2nd and third year pros who will never break in the first.

How did Stewart do?

I think I addressed the fact that his performances haven't been as glittering as some make out and therefore its also footballing ability that would prevent him being a top flight footballer.

It's difficult to divorce the performances from the injuries though, isn't it? In the sense that he's never been able to properly "get going".

I think Ricky is a little optimistic in his speculation but I've no doubt an injury free JW would be (or sadly, would have been) a major asset for us.

Sadly I think James is destined for the shadows and a what might have been existance. Every now and then a clearly talented footballer just can`t avoid a constant stream of injuries,with each one making a recovery to sustained fitness harder.
Jack Wilshire is somewhat similar,as is Aaron Ramsay and Oxlade Chamberlain.

There's obviously a problem up the Arse?....

Does anybody actually know what his injury problems have been?

A few details on here

http://ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/mullered-right.html?m=1

Odd. United got mullered down our right, their left. All the goals, second half, effectively swept in from that side. Here’s a thing I feel I’ve noticed last two games. Travis Binnion looks to me like he’s trying to get them to play the same “style” as the First Team. He’s certainly on at the midfield & forwards to press onto their opponents. Badger. Badger. Badger. And, at times, it looks a bit three at the back with the man wide right (ala Freeman) getting forward. And, so, we got mullered down that side.

It didn’t work for me. Jo Cummings started in that nominal right back spot. He’s more often seen at centre back. Alex Brown was left back, Sam Graham & Callum Semple as CBs. At the beginning of the second half, due to right side mullering, Cummings nipped inside & Sam Graham had a stint out there. It all seemed very disruptive. Maybe they could/should have steadied the ship with a more conventional back four. For George Long goal kicks, Cummings (as right back) pushed way up the right touchline. With Trialist Cameron Stewart sitting in deep to cover him.

Charlton would just deal with it, get it forward down their left, our right. Cummings & Stewart would then struggle to get back. I was baffled by it for a bit.

Cameron Stewart

I felt all that made it a bit difficult for Stewart. Wilder & Knill turned up just a little bit after kick off. Stewart didn’t impress AGAIN for me. He looked a bit fitter/sharper than last week. But, he wasn’t busy, wasn’t creative & was getting caught out by this mad right back thing. He ran a few channels into blind alleys. And, once in the first half, he gave the ball away & Charlton should have taken the lead from it. He wasn’t awful, by any means. But, anonymous at times.

Set up wide right midfield. Drifted forward at times.

It was a poor lacking lustre show by the U23s anyway. Nobody really got anything going for Utd. Stewart just blended in with the rest of them. Me, I’m not seeing it.

James Wallace

You know. By a distance the most comfortable player out there for SUFC. Great first touch. Ball under control. Puts himself in. Won’t be out muscled. Wins his headers. Disappointingly, not particularly incisive nor creative. But, got football written all over him. We all know the jokes. “By the time you are reading this Tweet that James Wallace is playing, he’ll be off injured”. Looked to be blowing a bit from 75 onwards. Stopped tracking. But, lasted the full 90. If there is a way. He’d be a great asset to the First Team Squad. Maybe it’s all to do with his Pay Up. Everyone assumes he’s playing to attract someone's eye. He’d be a great asset - if……

Well no. From what I can recall it all seems to have been what may be described as a series of "niggling" injuries. Strained calf, felt a pull on his hamstring, that sort of thing. I think Adkins went so far as to hint that he thought it was all a bit psychosomatic. I know that if he wanted to he could feign injury if he really didn't fancy playing football, but if that was the case, why put yourself through the eternal "comebacks". I don't know more than anybody else but I would speculate that he is a bit like my infant daughter in that when something hurts, it won't get better without the application of a plaster. Maybe he's just not a strong character.

Sadly I think James is destined for the shadows and a what might have been existance. Every now and then a clearly talented footballer just can`t avoid a constant stream of injuries,with each one making a recovery to sustained fitness harder.
Jack Wilshire is somewhat similar,as is Aaron Ramsay and Oxlade Chamberlain.

No, it's just that Arsenal are great and putting players on the treatment table.

Arsène Wenger defends Arsenal’s injury record amid ‘worst in Europe’ findings

They collect injuries all the time to the point a website has been setup to track how many players are injured at Arsenal: http://www.arsenalreport.com/injuryroom

A few details on here

http://ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/mullered-right.html?m=1

Odd. United got mullered down our right, their left. All the goals, second half, effectively swept in from that side. Here’s a thing I feel I’ve noticed last two games. Travis Binnion looks to me like he’s trying to get them to play the same “style” as the First Team. He’s certainly on at the midfield & forwards to press onto their opponents. Badger. Badger. Badger. And, at times, it looks a bit three at the back with the man wide right (ala Freeman) getting forward. And, so, we got mullered down that side.

It didn’t work for me. Jo Cummings started in that nominal right back spot. He’s more often seen at centre back. Alex Brown was left back, Sam Graham & Callum Semple as CBs. At the beginning of the second half, due to right side mullering, Cummings nipped inside & Sam Graham had a stint out there. It all seemed very disruptive. Maybe they could/should have steadied the ship with a more conventional back four. For George Long goal kicks, Cummings (as right back) pushed way up the right touchline. With Trialist Cameron Stewart sitting in deep to cover him.

Charlton would just deal with it, get it forward down their left, our right. Cummings & Stewart would then struggle to get back. I was baffled by it for a bit.

Cameron Stewart

I felt all that made it a bit difficult for Stewart. Wilder & Knill turned up just a little bit after kick off. Stewart didn’t impress AGAIN for me. He looked a bit fitter/sharper than last week. But, he wasn’t busy, wasn’t creative & was getting caught out by this mad right back thing. He ran a few channels into blind alleys. And, once in the first half, he gave the ball away & Charlton should have taken the lead from it. He wasn’t awful, by any means. But, anonymous at times.

Set up wide right midfield. Drifted forward at times.

It was a poor lacking lustre show by the U23s anyway. Nobody really got anything going for Utd. Stewart just blended in with the rest of them. Me, I’m not seeing it.

James Wallace

You know. By a distance the most comfortable player out there for SUFC. Great first touch. Ball under control. Puts himself in. Won’t be out muscled. Wins his headers. Disappointingly, not particularly incisive nor creative. But, got football written all over him. We all know the jokes. “By the time you are reading this Tweet that James Wallace is playing, he’ll be off injured”. Looked to be blowing a bit from 75 onwards. Stopped tracking. But, lasted the full 90. If there is a way. He’d be a great asset to the First Team Squad. Maybe it’s all to do with his Pay Up. Everyone assumes he’s playing to attract someone's eye. He’d be a great asset - if……

I`d be tempted to give him another U23 and if he does 90 bring him into the first team squad. From there give him a start with the remit to absolutely run the show.
It`s in his hands then. Best talent in the league if actually fit.

Well he might get a chance with the first team squad with Basham out for a few games if he is fit.

On his injuries you never know with these things - Remember Chris Armstrong was offered an insurance payout after horrific injury trouble but battled his way back to forge a good career at a decent level for us and Reading. Unfortunately for James it just seems like his body has let him down and it seems to be a consistent string of similar injuries - that there doesn't appear any way to stop. We've tried taking it slow etc

It's not surprising he was off the pace after 50 min Lark, y he's hardly played a game for more than 12 months,what I like about your comments are ! he was good for 50 minutes.That tells me he's still got the abilities required just short of the stamina required for 90 min,this is the crucial factor ,can he get the
extra fitness required that is the question and can he steer clear of niggling injuries.I for one and hopefully every other blade will be right behind him as he fights for his career which is definitely on the line.

Well he might get a chance with the first team squad with Basham out for a few games if he is fit.

On his injuries you never know with these things - Remember Chris Armstrong was offered an insurance payout after horrific injury trouble but battled his way back to forge a good career at a decent level for us and Reading. Unfortunately for James it just seems like his body has let him down and it seems to be a consistent string of similar injuries - that there doesn't appear any way to stop. We've tried taking it slow etc
He's no where near 1st team level of fitness as today's 23s game showed (not even got a squad No yet) needs time to build up his fitness when that's acheave (fingers crossed ) he might get the chance at 1st team level,but in my opinion he's some way off that at present.

Chris Armstrong showed great character to come back only to be robbed of his career by MS. Really felt for the guy. Came across as a great lad with a great attitude.

It's not surprising he was off the pace after 50 min Lark, y he's hardly played a game for more than 12 months,what I like about your comments are ! he was good for 50 minutes.That tells me he's still got the abilities required just short of the stamina required for 90 min,this is the crucial factor ,can he get the
extra fitness required that is the question and can he steer clear of niggling injuries.I for one and hopefully every other blade will be right behind him as he fights for his career which is definitely on the line.

We can hope but it would be foolish to expect. I think we have to plan without him and if he does manage to contribute anything, it is merely a bonus. The fact he’s not been given a squad number suggests the gaffer doesn’t see him contributing.

Back
Top Bottom