Travis Binnion takes over as head of SUFC Academy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As others have said Lydon, he moved on, but the reason (to me) seems unclear. Anyway, here is what The Star said back in 2010.........

RON REID has parted company with Sheffield United.

The widely-respected coach, who tranformed Bramall Lane's youth programme into one of the north's most envied academies, performed a variety of roles behind the scenes of the Championship club.

His most recent posting was at Ferencvaros where, together with manager Craig Short, he helped United's Hungarian development partners overcome a turbulent start to the 2009/10 campaign and finish 7th in the Soporoni Liga table.

Reid had been expected to follow Short to Notts County when the former United defender was appointed as Steve Cotterill's successor earlier this summer. But, when a series of events at Meadow Lane made his appointment impossible, Reid returned to South Yorkshire where his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

"I fully enjoyed my work at United and I wish them all the best for the future," Reid told The Star. "It's a smashing club with some smashing people and I had some great times there.

"But now I feel as if the time is right to seek a new challenge elsewhere."

Reid, whose job at Shirecliffe has been filled by John Pemberton, leaves behind a proud track record of achievement.

Forty-two of his graduates, including Nick Montgomery and Stephen Quinn, have gone on to make appearances at Football League and Premiership level while United have banked nearly 20m in fees after selling the likes of Phil Jagielka, Michael Tonge, Kyle Naughton, Jacob Mellis and Kyle Walker. His CV also boasts spells working at both first team and reserve team level before travelling to BudapeReid, who wants to continue his coaching career, added: "Ferencvaros was brilliant. It's certainly made me better at my job because the expectation levels of the supporters out there are something else. The pressure is unbelievable but the fans were great to both Craig and myself.

"Ferencvaros wanted me to stay but I decided to come back here and, after working there, I don't think there's any situation in the game now that I haven't seen or had to handle.

"It's certainly improved me as a coach and widened my knowledge."

Read more: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...eads-for-pastures-new-1-1829098#ixzz47luljSWa

In summary , SUFC shit on him . Welcome to the new position JP.

UTB

Any ideas why, your Lordship?

The article didn't make it clear and I really can't remember what had gone off behind the scenes?

john Pemberton had done well at Forest and Palace with both involvement with the reserves and first team, bedding in youngsters and a eye on talent at youth level.

Reed was past his sell by date at the lane , with supposedly antiquated coaching ideas that's why he was shipped out to Hungry .

Pemberton was vogue and viewed as a good asset with wanting to work in the academy . I think his first or second season we got to the final of the youth cup, which vindicated any critism of getting rid of Reed.

I think we finished up doing the same to Pembo , who I think was here one minute and gone the next.

Precarious working at the lane , or so it seems . Hope young Travis is allowed to get on with the job , and not having to watch his back.

UTB

john Pemberton had done well at Forest and Palace with both involvement with the reserves and first team, bedding in youngsters and a eye on talent at youth level.

Reed was past his sell by date at the lane , with supposedly antiquated coaching ideas that's why he was shipped out to Hungry .

Pemberton was vogue and viewed as a good asset with wanting to work in the academy . I think his first or second season we got to the final of the youth cup, which vindicated any critism of getting rid of Reed.

I think we finished up doing the same to Pembo , who I think was here one minute and gone the next.

Precarious working at the lane , or so it seems . Hope young Travis is allowed to get on with the job , and not having to watch his back.

UTB

Kevin Fogg did the majority of the work before Pembo though.

As you are probably aware there was a lot of politics going on at BL at that time, Blackwell was behind much of it as his relationship with Fogg and Ron was increasingly strained. He soon found he couldn't bully Pemberton, the exact opposite in fact and ran to Birch whining. Pembo was the blue eyed boy at the time and got the backing.

Went to Hungary when the Fradi link came about. Blackwell wasn't to happy about being the tea boy at Bury when Ronnie was Warnocks number two (and was glad to see him go) before NW realised KB was more pliant. And knew a lot less.

Haven't seen him for a while but I understand he's happily retired. Top bloke and a gentleman. Had a lot to do with the academy set up that NW claims was down to him. Good old Neil. :)
heh.. Neil Warnock.. re-writing history since..

heh.. Neil Warnock.. re-writing history since..
Although Warnock recruited Reid. Through his Bury connections. And didn't John Warnock have some role in the academy when it was first set up?

Although Warnock recruited Reid. Through his Bury connections. And didn't John Warnock have some role in the academy when it was first set up?

Ronnie was NW's assistant at Bury and at Oldham before that. He came with him to BL.

Yes, Warnock recruited him.

Not as academy coach and not through any Bury connection. They go back a lot further than that. He came as part of NW's team but became academy coach, appointed by the club. John Warnock ran the academy before Ronnie and the job was given to him by McCabe. NW, as has already been said, had little to do with the academy despite his claims.

UTB

Thought Pembo left us to go to be SOD’s assistant somewhere. Forest maybe?

Not as academy coach and not through any Bury connection. They go back a lot further than that. He came as part of NW's team but became academy coach, appointed by the club. John Warnock ran the academy before Ronnie and the job was given to him by McCabe. NW, as has already been said, had little to do with the academy despite his claims.

I assume Reid and Warnock know each other from their non league days. They both managed in the conference in the 1980s.

Ron is 71 now so I'm not surprised he's retired. I knew him in his pre United days, when he combined managing in Non league teams (Stafford Rangers, Boston) with PE teaching at Carter Lodge.

Seventy One!!! Bloody hell, he married my French teacher in my first year at senior school (Miss Adams) in about 1971.

Seventy One!!! Bloody hell, he married my French teacher in my first year at senior school (Miss Adams) in about 1971.

They got divorced later. His second wife was also a teacher, funnily enough.

He played half a dozen games for Chesterfield in the late 60s but then moved into non league.

Bury/Oldham, it's all Manchester anyway.

Back
Top Bottom