Too small, too slow and too weak.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

INTERUNITED

Reaction score
Today had the look of a Nigel Clough side, we have signed a load of small, slow and weak players. My biggest worry after that game is that other sides will look at us and think if we get stuck in they will capitulate. No one should be coming to Bramall Lane and out fighting us and taking the piss, but that's exactly what happened today. I'm more worried about the lack of fight than I am about the result. It's going to be a long season.

We are too slow, too static and too predictable and there doesn't appear to be a plan A on the ball, let alone plan B. There's clearly a pattern and shape intended for off the ball, but with it the players look completely devoid of ideas with no input coming from the technical area.

Other clubs yet to visit Bramall Lane will now see it a challenge
to see if they can equal or beat the eight goals scored today.

Today had the look of a Nigel Clough side, we have signed a load of small, slow and weak players. My biggest worry after that game is that other sides will look at us and think if we get stuck in they will capitulate. No one should be coming to Bramall Lane and out fighting us and taking the piss, but that's exactly what happened today. I'm more worried about the lack of fight than I am about the result. It's going to be a long season.
I saw a a table the other day of the average heights in the Prem, Newcastle were close to the top (Everton were top) and we were close to the bottom. Even our defenders aren't particularly big. Souza is hard as nails but I'd be surprised if he's much over 6'.

Anybody know why we signed Souza for 10 mill, and not Tommy Doyle, for the same money or less?
Tommy Doyle is a lot smaller than Souza. You can only carry one or 2 small players in the prem, we have loads in our team. And apparently one of the main reasons we didn't get Doyle was that he wouldn't accept a relegation clause. Presume Souza has.

We are too slow, too static and too predictable and there doesn't appear to be a plan A on the ball, let alone plan B. There's clearly a pattern and shape intended for off the ball, but with it the players look completely devoid of ideas with no input coming from the technical area.
Yeah. We just don’t pass into space.

That wasn’t a Sheffield United team out there.
I’ve mentioned this on another thread:
1st half looked like us I thought (a decent championship side) being a bit unlucky against a top 4 premier league side.

Second half, after the subs, you’ve got Traore, Davies, Slimane, Thomas, Souza, Archer on the pitch. They’ve played a few games. They’ve got no history with us, not been part of the journey, no connection with the fans … and not much experience of playing together; it’s the very last thing you want when the team is in a massive hole and literally just playing for pride for 40 minutes.

Compare that to players like Baldock, McBurnie, Basham (who eventually made a difference), and those who moved on like Doyle, Ndiaye and - of course - Sharp.

In a lot of ways, it really wasn’t much of a ‘Sheffield United’ side by the time the final whistle went. Maybe they’ll get there, but it feels a way off right now.

Another Traore thread FFS.

How many times did we pass it back to Wes who we all know is not renowned for his kicking. Grow some balls and look for a forward pass!
By passing it to Wes we just delay the inevitable of the ball going to an opposing player for that extra few seconds. Do that 100 times a game and it’s less time the opposing team has the ball. They’d have got 15 today without doing that.

Traore? I’ve no idea why we’ve signed him, but I’ve even less idea why anyone thought he might be an effective player in the Premier League, I don't honestly think he could do a job in Northern Prem
Farcical recruitment this summer , Traore , Larouci , players not ready for PL , nor even Championship and too lightweight to ever impact
At the very least get some big athletes in.
So sick of seeing our lot simply brushed aside.
Boys bossed about by men.

Giving new contracts to Fleck and Osborn, keeping faith with Norwood and then adding Hamer, McAtee and Davies suggest we didn't prioritise matching the big PL midfield athletes this summer. Souza and Slimane are reasonably big lads, but neither are fast or mobile. Souza and Norwood look a poor partnership at this level.

By passing it to Wes we just delay the inevitable of the ball going to an opposing player for that extra few seconds. Do that 100 times a game and it’s less time the opposing team has the ball. They’d have got 15 today without doing that.

Great point. Today looked like, without McBurnie to pump it up to (or Ndiaye to try to feed it to), we had no pattern to our play. That's on the coaching staff as it looked like we had no Plan at all as to how to score or even create chances...

Great point. Today looked like, without McBurnie to pump it up to (or Ndiaye to try to feed it to), we had no pattern to our play. That's on the coaching staff as it looked like we had no Plan at all as to how to score or even create chances...

That's not just yesterday, that's been the case all season, which is worrying.

Giving new contracts to Fleck and Osborn, keeping faith with Norwood and then adding Hamer, McAtee and Davies suggest we didn't prioritise matching the big PL midfield athletes this summer. Souza and Slimane are reasonably big lads, but neither are fast or mobile. Souza and Norwood look a poor partnership at this level.
I do tend to agree re: Norwood and Souza. Furthermore it's becoming apparent that anyone we pick is finding it tough to play alongside Norwood. Berge struggled, Doyle struggled, Souza struggled. We looked x10 better when we paired Doyle and Berge together last year.

I think ON's lack of mobility is really being shown up.

I do tend to agree re: Norwood and Souza. Furthermore it's becoming apparent that anyone we pick is finding it tough to play alongside Norwood. Berge struggled, Doyle struggled, Souza struggled. We looked x10 better when we paired Doyle and Berge together last year.

I think ON's lack of mobility is really being shown up.
We played ten games without Norwood starting last sesason and won all of them.

1695628479288.png

Back
Top Bottom