Tonights Corporate Meeting With The Chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was told today by a very long standing Blade that Sean Dyche had been lined up to replace Clough and that KM vetoed the appointment in favour of NA. This info was allegedly gained from Dave Bassett who had been part of the selection committee. I confess to being sceptical, but has anybody else heard about this? If so, it would be another error of epic proportions.

Sorry to be pushy but how do you know 12 of ours are on over 5k a week?
My reply to Barney earlier today...

It was from a friend who was in the Executive boxes at Coventry last Saturday. Not sure where he got the info about 12 of our players being on £5K or more, think he heard it last Saturday at Coventry? The surprise was the info about none of Coventry players being on £5K a week (thought at least Fleck and Cole would get that much). When I told my ITK yesterday, he was surprised about none of the Coventry players on £5K a week and agrees that 12 SUFC players earning that or more is about right

I was told today by a very long standing Blade that Sean Dyche had been lined up to replace Clough and that KM vetoed the appointment in favour of NA. This info was allegedly gained from Dave Bassett who had been part of the selection committee. I confess to being sceptical, but has anybody else heard about this? If so, it would be another error of epic proportions.

I do know Basset was mumping about his input being ignored but the names he supposedly put forward were frightening. Don't remember Dyche being one of them though.

I think that for the sake of continuity, moving forward, Gary Sinclair should just say "Kevin McCabes red and white wizards, Sheffield United!"

Seems plausible

Just listened to the Leicester assistant manager on radio 5. He was asked about retaining players if bids come in. He said something like, 'of course we would encourage players to stay but the most important thing to this team is unity and a happy dressing room'.

So it appears even at Premiere League winners Leicester they will not retain an unhappy player at the expense of team unity. Maybe I missed the bit where he said they can be as big a c##ts as they like but they are on contract.

Maybe that's why you are king of the forum anti-Blades and not managing/directing/chairing a professional football club.
It has been explained in great length why Murphy being a bit moody wasn't a valid enough excuse to continually sell the clubs best players. For one he hasn't got anything at all to gain by not playing to his best. Two he probably wants to carry on playing to his best if he's genuinely passionate about getting a Scotland call up. And three he really doesn't seem the type of footballer that sulks anyway.

It has been explained in great length why Murphy being a bit moody wasn't a valid enough excuse to continually sell the clubs best players. For one he hasn't got anything at all to gain by not playing to his best. Two he probably wants to carry on playing to his best if he's genuinely passionate about getting a Scotland call up. And three he really doesn't seem the type of footballer that sulks anyway.

The public personas of Warnock and Basset wouldn't leave you to believe they were a right pair of mardy bastards when things didn't suit them. But they were.

Sacking Wilson just before the play offs and putting Morgan in charge is one of the most ridiculous and baffling decisions made in football full stop. That decision alone leaves me with little faith in this blokes leadership

I think with S6 getting rid of Megson and the affect it had , getting rid of Wilson would do the same with the new manager syndrome. Morgan unfortunately could not motivate the team and the rest is disappointed history.

UTB

Heard the same , but it was only a telephone call between Harry and Dyche. Dyche turned the offer down to even meet up , and who would blame him. To be fair would he have done any better than Adkins with the players we have got.

UTB

I think with S6 getting rid of Megson and the affect it had , getting rid of Wilson would do the same with the new manager syndrome. Morgan unfortunately could not motivate the team and the rest is disappointed history.

UTB

Heard the same , but it was only a telephone call between Harry and Dyche. Dyche turned the offer down to even meet up , and who would blame him. To be fair would he have done any better than Adkins with the players we have got.

UTB

Not quite the same then, not really "lined" up :)

I'm still awaiting the news ( from someone high up in the club) about the move to Attercliffe, which was to be announced in January.

This is indeed correct but happened when McCabe decided to appoint David Weir. He had asked Bassett for input to which Harry put an awful lot of work into. Dyche had done a solid steady first season at Burnley but just as Bassett was about to deliver his recommendation McCabe totally changed direction in his thinking and plumped for the inexperienced cheap option. Harry was a little miffed to say the least. No contact was ever made. All true as it came direct from Bassett at a recent "evening with" in Beighton

This is indeed correct but happened when McCabe decided to appoint David Weir. He had asked Bassett for input to which Harry put an awful lot of work into. Dyche had done a solid steady first season at Burnley but just as Bassett was about to deliver his recommendation McCabe totally changed direction in his thinking and plumped for the inexperienced cheap option. Harry was a little miffed to say the least. No contact was ever made. All true as it came direct from Bassett at a recent "evening with" in Beighton
I read on a forum some time ago that someone else had attended a function that Bassett was at and he told him that he'd got Kenny Jackett an interview before he went to Wolves. KM had been rude to him and quite offhand so Jackett changed his mind.
No idea if it's true.

I read on a forum some time ago that someone else had attended a function that Bassett was at and he told him that he'd got Kenny Jackett an interview before he went to Wolves. KM had been rude to him and quite offhand so Jackett changed his mind.
No idea if it's true.
Very little would surprise me with regards our Kev and picking managers. Even Bassett said that KM genuinely wants success and has spent a fortune but, in Harry's own words " As nice a guy as Kevin is, when it comes to picking managers he's fuckin shit"
That's what you call straight to the point

When you say McCabe is back Finlay, in what capacity? Has he actually moved residence, lock, stock and barrel back to the UK?
I recall a lot of wealthy French and Belgians were moving across the channel due to new punitive tax laws on wealth about 2 years ago. Might be worth him paying UK tax rather than new rates.

He spoke like a fan and without mentioning names he was just as upset as the rest of us with how some of this seasons signings have worked out, in fact he was pissed off.
Let's hope that this translates into something meaningful as far as the likes of Woeford and Hammond are concerned.

Let's hope that this translates into something meaningful as far as the likes of Woeford and Hammond are concerned.
Nothing we can do about Woolford. He was signed on a 2 year deal and won't be attracting much interest in the way of clubs a) wanting him and/or b) paying anything similar to or above the wages he's on now.

The public personas of Warnock and Basset wouldn't leave you to believe they were a right pair of mardy bastards when things didn't suit them. But they were.
The public personas of Warnock and Bassett didn't lend either as being total push overs behind the scenes either. And they weren't.

What's with the opposition to cheaper season tickets? McCabe had to do something like this or watch season ticket sales drop to about 10,000 or less.

Also on the mood towards Adkins from McCabe it worries me now that Adkins is about to be sacked. I still haven't seen or heard evidence that anyone has directly asked the question whether Adkins is to stay. I guess he could have gone by now had the board wanted to act, now that there's nothing to play for.
Some people are mardy aren't they? It's not like the question was loaded to say all corporate hospitality had to go up in cost to fund it. It has zero impact on them but the majority vote against something positive that the club is doing for the supporters. Fuck me.

And the relevance is ?
You tried putting Warnock and Bassett forward as examples of public personas not matching behaviours behind the scenes. That wasn't really the case as per my previous post. Relating that to Murphy's public persona, it seemed obvious to me he wasn't the type of player to sulk in the dressing room.

You tried putting Warnock and Bassett forward as examples of public personas not matching behaviours behind the scenes. That wasn't really the case as per my previous post. Relating that to Murphy's public persona, it seemed obvious to me he wasn't the type of player to sulk in the dressing room.

My comments on DB and NW are based on first hand experience not an "obvious" opinion based on, well what exactly ? Body language, accent, haircut?

The not pushovers bit had no relevance to your claim btw.

My comments on DB and NW are based on first hand experience not an "obvious" opinion based on, well what exactly ? Body language, accent, haircut?

The not pushovers bit had no relevance to your claim btw.
How did it not have any relevance? You were trying to make a point that public personas don't always match reality, which is a fair enough point to make. Just not with the examples you used. :)

WOW this thread still running despite nine years of decline since the Premiership days just WOW ............. Without going back to Jags move to Everton which I think is probably as good as we could have done at the time lets take a closer look how we handled thing in league one, McD was given a ridiculously low get out clause we should have had a replacement lined up and waved him bye bye when he was up to his tricks of not signing a contract (seems he has been playing the same game with Wolves) Wilson was far too soft with him. Despite everything Wilson had us top two when Blackman was sold by the club, the goals then dried up and we dropped down the table leading to McCabe's stupid decision to sack Wilson just before the play off's. Now with Maguire when Hull came knocking on the door we made the right noises no need to sell says our Kev ................ ha load of bollocks, when Hull decided not to pay what Harry is worth we actually go running back to Hull to take their lower offer, how fucking embarrassing is that ? But we would lose him for nothing at the end of the season is the cry from McCabe and his apologist's well not quite so as Harry was young so we would have got some compensation probably a fair whack as he was a first team regular. Of course Harry could have got the titty lip on but playing shit for us would not get him his dream move would it more chance that he would have done his best to be noticed by more clubs than just Hull City. On to Murphy did he really sign that new contract he was so happy with just months before being sold ? Did Adkins actually say Murphy was going nowhere a few weeks before they sold him (not blaming Adkins here) ? Of course Murphy could have got the titty lip on too but that would not get him into the Scotland team would it ? Didn't McCabe say we don't need to sell our best players ? And still one or two believe and hang on to every word Kev utters. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Got about a third of the way through this and gave up. Seems like McCabe can say any old bollocks to you lot and not be challenged effectively. I am astounded that you buy that he's put millions in yet here we are, still in shit street. You buy every single line of his crap blaming every single manager, yet all the discernable talent this club has ever owned has been flogged to the first and lowest bidder, with nothing to show regarding betterment by re-investment. No prove whatsoever regarding 'improvements', no challenge on 'undisclosed' fees and apparently no gasps of disgust at this ridiculous statement of cash 'when' we are promoted. Is that our Football League One prize money, perchance? You are quite willing to accept that McCabe's honest belief we can forge platinum out of dogshit, creating our very own pool of Championship-ready players and then resist any shitty offers from Brighton, Wolves or QPR. I mean, what does he expect will keep us as a Championship side if we don't have the squad ... in depth as well ... to sustain that position let alone attain it? It's like an asthmatic blowing a fucking balloon up with a hole in it.

It seems some are a little star struck by the gift that Mr McCabe has magnanimously offered an audience with the restless natives. Booga-fucking-loo. He is accountable and a consistent entity in this club's demise and it's sustained, continued presence in the third tier in English football. Managers come and managers go ... thanks to him and his ability to fuck them over and blame them for the failures. The supporters still resiliently turn up and buy season tickets. The players are the most fluid entity in this equation. Being as we supporters don't buy and pick the team and the managers are ten a penny, the only consistent thing is him, and you're still acting as though he has a credible answer for it all.

Nothing personal, but get your heads out of your arses, eh?

pommpey

Who hinted at fraud? As far as I'm aware you're the only one whose mentioned it.

Legal reasons could just be a non disclosure agreement.

Yes, you're probably right when people draw comparisons with Harry Redknapp and his dog it's probably a "non disclosure agreement" they're hinting at.

I'm not just referring to this thread. There have been several others where people have insinuated financial wrongdoing by people who have now left the club.

i was making the point that despite these persistent rumours, nobody including the club seems to be able to back it up with any kind of evidence.

Can you shed any light on the 'non footballing' reasons for Clough's departure by any chance?
Good that there's no rift with the Prince though and nice to hear Geary is back :)

I'm not by any means an ITK, but a client of mine who spent an afternoon drinking with somebody at the Lane told me that NC refused to accept any blame for us not getting promoted and refused to change his boring, negative style of play. He also wanted to sign a "crock" from Derby. It would also appear that he'd ( allegedly) alienated a fair few of the playing staff.

UTB & FTP

I think this 'game changing investment when we get in the Championship" is the most self defeating, ridiculous public statement any Chairman could ever make.

The majority of the current squad know they are at peak of their true ability in Division 1, but nevertheless, they have superb training facilities, play in a Premiership stadium, on a million pound pitch, in front of 20,000 fans whilst earning above average wages, in summary for most of them, things couldn't be better.

So the Chairman sends out the message to the affect that, whilst we remain in League 1, they can continue to enjoy their enviable lifestyle, however should they get the club promoted, the majority of them will be gone, bubble burst, off to Colchester or Bury playing in some shitty stadium in front of 4,500 fans on less money?

Then we wonder why the team always falls just short, out performed by smaller clubs, the players just don't seem to be bothered, why is there so little effort and it seems it's irrespective of who's in the managers office?

The time to invest is now, build a team capable of competing in the Championship who can take this Division by storm and be confident of its ability to do so at a higher level. In my opinion, only then will we see a team with real desire for promotion. :(

Regrettably ....... this plan of yours would require forward planning and spending some money ! :rolleyes:

Neither are likely to happen at BDTBL mate ....... :(

UTB & FTP

The investment will be game changing when we get to the championship, thats just brilliant... so in about 2025 .. how does he keep a straight face when he spouts this bollocks .. he must be dying to piss himself laughing

So, let me get this straight. Our chairman has slagged off the signings of a manager who is still in place whilst those signings are still at the club? Ones he no doubt had to sign off on or his technical board of the unskilled?

He's also basically decided to re-imagine history with his Championship and game-changing quote?

What a buffoon. Never his fault although he could have done better.

Back
Top Bottom